• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am very curious to see how the next rate their chances for Geno will go. Last time it was pretty divided and there was a lot tension. It will be interesting to see how much tension still exists, or if it is gonna become very cut and dry.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Though I am happy with all the recent revelations, I feel like my hype hasn't gotten any higher. I already figured Sakurai was using the ballot after King K. Rool was revealed and I personally think Vergeben's credibility is on shaky ground (on top of the supposed Square rep potentially being any popular Square character; I think 3rd parties are exceptions to the ballot rule this cycle is taking).

My hopes are high, don't get me wrong, but I'm tempering myself. As someone that usually scores conservatively, I would rate Geno's chances at around 70% (previously, I had K. Rool at this amount). Here's to hoping.~

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I swear, every time it seems things can't get any better for us, an avalanche of new information comes along and tips the scales even further in our favor.

I love it. It feels great to have a bandwagon backing you up. Now I know how Skull Kid feels...
Yup that's why i came to support geno now even if i didn't before, i haven't even played his game but as a skull kid supporter and seeing how this just got even possible for geno, I felt like coming to support him too.
DlTBAl8XsAAcNsw.jpg

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Honestly as far as Square reps go, I think we're more likely to see a character from Dragon Quest, or even Chrono, before we see Sora. Dragon Quest in particular is a much longer standing franchise than Kingdom Hearts, with presumably easier licensing agreements, and a stronger connection to Nintendo. Kingdom Hearts is also not incredibly popular in Japan either, not that it does poorly, but Dragon Quest is absolutely massive in comparison.

If I had to bet, I'd still bet on Geno, but I don't think Sora is his biggest competition.

Sidebar: Ultimate's done a great job so far with how they've presented characters who haven't been seen in a while, with K. Rool and Ridley in particular looking perhaps the best they ever have. Do you guys have any worries in regards to how Geno's design may be updated, or are you more excited to see what the Smash team does with him?

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sidebar: Ultimate's done a great job so far with how they've presented characters who haven't been seen in a while, with K. Rool and Ridley in particular looking perhaps the best they ever have. Do you guys have any worries in regards to how Geno's design may be updated, or are you more excited to see what the Smash team does with him?
I do hope that Geno get's a few touch up's, but nothing to serious. Something kinda like Simon and how he was designed. It would be unlikely and kinda risky to do another Pit like update.

Edit: Maybe we should look online and see how people imagined a more modern Geno. I recall seeing some cool designs that tried stuff like that.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Honestly as far as Square reps go, I think we're more likely to see a character from Dragon Quest, or even Chrono, before we see Sora.
Definitely could see Crono before Sora just for a classic sense and how big a legacy Chrono Trigger has.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I Think Smashified's Geno is probably the best direction for a redesign, personally, i do also like how some fans draw him with a longer cloak that covers his body, but i'd expect for smash they'd stay with the orignal style

on the note of Crono, it should be noted that Chrono trigger didn't even make it to the SNES classic while Secret of mana and SMRPG did, probably doesn't mean much but the fact Nintendo skipped over such a legendary game is a bit odd to me

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Chrono Trigger, from my understanding, is in an extremely tricky place legally, which is likely why it didn't make it to the SNES Classic. It also means that Crono is an unlikely candidate for Smash.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I just realized I’ve spent the past day talking Geno up and down, and I’m not even on the supporters list. Count me in! He is my second-most wanted character at this point, behind only Bandana Waddle Dee.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Chrono Trigger, from my understanding, is in an extremely tricky place legally, which is likely why it didn't make it to the SNES Classic. It also means that Crono is an unlikely candidate for Smash.
Man Crono has rights issues too?, well that leaves secret of mana for SNES square...

You know, Maybe Geno was the best representation For SNES era Square all along :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I Think Smashified's Geno is probably the best direction for a redesign, personally, i do also like how some fans draw him with a longer cloak that covers his body, but i'd expect for smash they'd stay with the orignal style

on the note of Crono, it should be noted that Chrono trigger didn't even make it to the SNES classic while Secret of mana and SMRPG did, probably doesn't mean much but the fact Nintendo skipped over such a legendary game is a bit odd to me
I wonder how it could be an issue. It's hard to get what's going on with it and SquareEnix. They haven't even tried much with Chrono Trigger, for such a reknown game. You'd think they'd milk everything they can of it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man Crono has rights issues too?, well that leaves secret of mana for SNES square...

You know, Maybe Geno was the best representation For SNES era Square all along :p
Hopefully Marina Liteyears doesn't have this kind of issue, since her game was published by Enix and made by Treasure.

Then again, it didn't have the director and character designer of Dragon Quest and writer of Ninja Gaiden working on it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Is Geno the same size of Mario? Just curious, I'm trying to learn more about him

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
About so. I imagine if he were to be a little different in size, Geno might be a bit shorter, but I am not sure.
I actually got the impression he was just slightly taller than Mario from the SNES days. Maybe it's just the way he holds himself?
Still it's a tiny amount if so. I'd agree they're practically the same size.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I actually got the impression he was just slightly taller than Mario from the SNES days. Maybe it's just the way he holds himself?
Still it's a tiny amount if so. I'd agree they're practically the same size.
It is kinda hard to measure with the angle we view the characters.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Seem to be about the same size. If this craft is based on the actual pixels, maybe Geno a few pixels more? But could be his hat.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
One of my favorite weapons from SMRPG will always be the hurly glove.

I just imagine Bowser getting so frustrated in a fight that he yells, "SCREW IT ALL!!!!" and just flings Mario haha

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how it could be an issue. It's hard to get what's going on with it and SquareEnix. They haven't even tried much with Chrono Trigger, for such a reknown game. You'd think they'd milk everything they can of it.
It's possible Akira Toriyama retains the rights to the character designs or something. Who knows?

Also, Ultimate's newcomers so far (aside from Inkling and I guess Simon) just scream SNES to me. Ridley may have originated on the NES, but Super Metroid is really where the franchise came into it's own. K Rool is obvious. Richter is the posterboy for SNES castlevania. I really hope Geno continues this trend. I feel like the SNES-era is kind of under-represented in Smash in a way that I can't quite explain (and probably isn't even justified), but I'm glad we're seeing it nab the spotlight now.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As much as the stars seem to be aligning for Geno (Heh), I’m still nervous. More so than Isaac who is sitting at number two on my list and at least reps his whole franchise that is completely unrepped.

I mean I already got my number 1 and 2 in Ridley and King K Rool, how can I possible expect to go three for three on my top three characters!? And I really wanted Simon too... That just seems like far too many of my Smash dreams coming true. And I’m afraid we’ll get the carpet pulled out from under us at some point. Not trying to be negative, and I felt the same trepidation for King K Rool to be fair, but a Geno fan’s support is always a struggle.

I just mainly hate the air of negativity I’ve seen around other places for him. The biggest complaint of “who” I don’t get because there’s no reason not to please fans at this point with more obscure characters, especially when they want them.

But the other thing that I hear is that, Square will want a more likely second rep... which, to me doesn’t really sound how Sakurai approaches third parties. He goes to ask for a specific character in general if I’m not mistaken? Or at least that seems to be more hinted at in the process?

I mean I’m sure Square would love to just throw Slime, Lara Croft, Terra, hell even Sora despite his rights being a little more finicky, in the game if they were allowed, but I feel like Sakurai is the one who asks and makes those decisions on who is specifically getting included. Not to mention, I don’t think Square is exactly super concerned about Smash as a whole from the sounds of interviews. I don’t think they see it as some major advertising vehicle, especially when Cloud is already in the game.

And with Sora likely in a very special place rights wise, there wouldn’t be another Square related character besides Geno at the top of the polls and requests (Using what little formal data and general ideas that we have for now). More importantly, there’s no reason for Square to say no. I’d imagine his ask would be can I use Geno, and I’m not entirely convinced that the alternative would be a different Square character for Smash.

For all we know, it’s Geno or nobody else from Square if he’s truly going to stick to the ballot.

Just saying, that argument I’ve become to see crop up more and it tends to annoy me (Though Lara Croft would be yet another PS1 icon for me to accidentally create a real PS All-Stars within Smash:chuckle: )

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Geno will get some nice touch ups to his textures, the mii costume was very simple in looks, more resembling the SNES sprite

King K. Rool got all those scales and a tattered up cape with an actual fabric look for ultimate

safe to say Geno will probably have a fine wood texture and Better fabrics (maybe the yellow pattern on his hat will be patched on like the M on Mario's hat!)

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I am beyond excited to see what he can do to embellish Geno's design. It will be bond to be awesome ! :D

Also if we are getting a Exor Hazard stage, I am expecting this for the way to go after he gets defeated :

tumblr_ohrvbjBZCA1rrftcdo1_500.gif

"mr.smithy i don't feel so good"

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
the best little touch they could add is having Geno Whirl one shot Exor lol
You know, if they do remake SMRPG one day, I hope they keep that. Geno's ability to one shot Exor always seemed like it was a pure accident on the developers part, but it has become so iconic in it's own right.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
You know, if they do remake SMRPG one day, I hope they keep that. Geno's ability to one shot Exor always seemed like it was a pure accident on the developers part, but it has become so iconic in it's own right.
eeeh it could be, but Square has done that kinda thing, making bosses have Cheese Strats and stuff

the one that comes to mind is how Ruby weapon in FF7, the toughest boss by far, is absolutely destroyed by anything that causes Paralysis, i also think there was boss in 10 that was instakilled by a phoenix down

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I am beyond excited to see what he can do to embellish Geno's design. It will be bond to be awesome ! :D

Also if we are getting a Exor Hazard stage, I am expecting this for the way to go after he gets defeated :

View attachment 159430
"mr.smithy i don't feel so good"
Man, seeing this again reminds me that Bowser's Keep really would be the perfect stage for SMRPG. It's the most iconic locale in the game.

Provided Geno does end up getting a stage, if it does end up being Forest Maze then I at least hope you can see Bowser's Keep (with Exor, of course) in the background or something.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
while Bowsers Keep would be a good stage on it's own, i'd feel disappointing the stage didn't start with the chandeliers, kinda like halberd i suppose

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
while Bowsers Keep would be a good stage on it's own, i'd feel disappointing the stage didn't start with the chandeliers, kinda like halberd i suppose
So like a traveling stage where you start on the chandeliers, the chandlers accelerate upwards, and eventually you get to the top of Bowser's Keep as well as Exor himself. Sounds fun.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
Give me Geno or give me death!

You guys I'm so excited it's happening. I'm not even sure how I would handle it. The leak information almost made me nauseous to see (for some reason...)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Turns out I have to work tomorrow but it shouldn't be for too long. I can probably still update the list but later

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If it's alright with you, I wouldn't mind having my name listed down on the Supporter's List. I've already said my thoughts about Geno, so at this point I may throw down my support for you guys.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Just stopping in to say good luck. I saw that stuff about what Vergeben said "another square rep"

No way it's not Geno... I doubt that Sakurai only got the rights to make a Mii outfit. I've been saying Geno is a lock since Smash Ultimate was announced.. I know how it is to be cautiously optimistic... I was for K. Rool until literally the minute he appeared in his trailer.. but I don't see Geno not getting in.

I always liked Super Mario RPG and the SNES is my favorite game console of all time. Would love to see more SNES representation in Smash, I'm hoping Geno gets in for you guys. I'm confident he's on his way! Hopefully the Stars align for ya's!

A little musical gift for you all Geno/smrpg lovers (the louder the music, the bigger the smile, i guarantee it) :)

(from where i come, orchestras play video game music... damn j'aime Montréal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom