• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
A little musical gift for you all Geno/smrpg lovers (the louder the music, the bigger the smile, i guarantee it) :)

(from where i come, orchestras play video game music... damn j'aime Montréal)
Absolutely magnificent...

Was not expecting the sax to start off Beware the Forest Mushrooms, but I'll be darned if it doesn't just work. Now I want a Jazz remix of it, lol.

But seriously, this is amazing. Not the first time I've heard these guys, either; someone posted a K. Rool arrangement they did in the K. Rool thread, which was also awesome.

These guys are doing the Higher Authority's work.:grin:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So i finally got to play the game, I haven't finished it yet… but… feel free to add me to the support list :ness:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So here's a bizarre question for this thread, but if Geno gets added into the game, do you imagine he'd have voiceovers and small lines for certain taunts or victory poses, or do you imagine him being silent and instead using wooden puppet noises?

So here's a bizarre question for this thread, but if Geno gets added into the game, do you imagine he'd have voiceovers and small lines for certain taunts or victory poses, or do you imagine him being silent and instead using wooden puppet noises?
Now that you mention it, i would rather like him silent with wooden puppet noise... :p

Joking aside i always imagined his voice as a kind of 'careless badass' one (like Vegeta in DBZ or Captain Levi in Attack on Titans). Probably because of his 'arm-crossed'/'looking away' pose. He seems like he's not giving a damn, probably a big part of what makes him so popular... this and the arm cannon of course.

Last edited:

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
I'd love to hear his voice, since he does talk in the game.
I'd also really love to see his victory pose animation where he nods, maybe with the same amount of frames as the original animation!

slopdop

Smash Cadet
Been wishing for Geno ever since I read the Nsider posts about him long ago. SMRPG was also the first RPG I played and have played it many times since then. You have my support for him in Ultimate.

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice
Sidebar: Ultimate's done a great job so far with how they've presented characters who haven't been seen in a while, with K. Rool and Ridley in particular looking perhaps the best they ever have. Do you guys have any worries in regards to how Geno's design may be updated, or are you more excited to see what the Smash team does with him?
I'm actually super down with the Smash team modernizing Geno's design. I've always loved his character sprite but was never a fan of his character art. He just looked way too chubby (or chibi?) for me. Anyway, I can't see Geno looking too different from the way his mii costume looks in Smash 4.

Kooj Kooj

Smash Cadet
A little musical gift for you all Geno/smrpg lovers (the louder the music, the bigger the smile, i guarantee it) :)

This is absolutely magnificent. I'm so jealous that you have this availability for live music!

By chance, I was just in Montreal a week ago for the first time. Loved everything about it except the massive amount of construction everywhere :laugh:

I imagine he'll have a voice. It's one of those things everybody had to make up for him so we're all probably expecting something a little different, but I always heard a kind of hollow, ghostly male voice. It seemed kinda appropriate for a spirit inhabiting a puppet, hollow from the wood, ghostly from the spirit. Although I don't think this will be his voice when I think about it-- it'd be kinda off-putting in actuality. It'll probably be some sort of suave, laissez-faire guys voice instead. But who knows really? It's hard to guess at since we don't have a lot to go on other than personality and attitude in his 1 appearance.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind if he comes silent but I would love him being voiced so I can hear him say "Let's get this show on the road" !

I would imagine him with a soft determined yet wise voice. Sorta like Layton of level of softness ? now that would be bloody hilarious if he gets a British accent lmao

I also like Terminal's voice he gave him in NoPUNintendo. :)

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I've always pictured him in Smash using the sound effects that were used in his original game, a la Villager or Duck Hunt. I can't really picture him with a voice, but it's true that he talks (a lot) in the game, so who knows. They did give a voice to Popo and Nana and Pit when they were introduced to the modern era, so it could go either way.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I think the more Grander/Angellic Geno sounds the better, I feel it should be in contrast to you know, being a doll

Like this old wooden doll that can barely move his Mouth having this grand angel voice, feel it be funny but also Fitting

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I also like Terminal's voice he gave him in NoPUNintendo. :)
"Would you like to help me save the world???"

I like that voice too lol

He will probably have sounds from Mario RPG. I love the sound fxs he has in Legacy XP. When he gets destroyed at really high KO percents it sounds like it hurts but also really charming at the same time.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I see a lot of people saying that the Square Enix character could be Sora. But i think that we can clearly say that this is not him at all since he's owned by Disney and not Square Enix. Kingdom Hearts is a Disney game.

Do we have another Square Enix character who did well in the ballot ? Nope. Can we even imagine Slime taking a spot in the Smash Bros fan service ? Nope. It's gotta be Geno.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
You see the thing is that the source is most likely aware of who Nintendo/Sakurai is talking to rather then what the character is affiliated to, if it was sora, the source would definitely say "a Disney character"

Of course this is implying this source is too be trusted, but by the sounds of it, they probably are

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
After the confirmed fact that they're going off the ballot, and that he's the most popular Square rep, I reckon Geno has an 80% chance of getting in.

Any ideas of music from Super Mario RPG that you want (Besides Beware the Forests Mushrooms as that is getting in).

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
At this point I'd be shocked if Geno didn't get in. There is major factors that make his inclusion obvious.

1: confirmatiom they are using the ballot for character picks
2: Sakurai has stated Geno is "Incredibly popular" at a time where they would already know the ballot results
3: he also said he is perfect for smash and is generally very positive about Geno
4: nintendo's relationship with square is at a high point. Switch focused development team and Sakurai hit it off with Nomura.

It all lines up.

gebi

Cloud Prince

AHHH I REMEMBER MARIO RPG MUSIC BEING AMAZING BUT I DIDNT REALIZE IT WAS THE BEST GAME SOUNDTRACK EVER. its aged like a fine wine, like the whole game has.

Geno's reveal trailer will be so satisfying to watch. Having that weight lifted off our chests that is the possiblilty what he didn't make it. We can peacefully sleep at night waiting patiently for December 7th knowing that our little wooden boy in blue has finay made it. Along with being able to preorder an amiibo featuring a brand new render in the gourgeous art style of Ultimate. We will come on that day and all fill this board with "AAAAH" and "HE'S HERE", cheering so loud that other character fourms will hear our victory cries. Afterwards most of us will change our Ultimate main on our profile to Geno, another satisfying part of the journey. I may not have been here in this board for long all. Heck i only played Mario RPG a few months back for the first time, but I have been interested in the chracter since i got his Mii costume shortly after it released. Some of you have probably been clamoring for the character since the original smash. But even for me this has already been an amazing journey and has felt very long. I really do hope and feel like we may be seeing him join the fight this time around :)).

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
It's weird how Japan, the region that apparently is pushing for a Dragon quest character according to many people, seems pushing for Geno the most :laugh:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It's probably a bad place to say but if Dragon Quest getting a character meant no playable Geno , I'd be ok with that. But that's the only thing I'd be ok with taking Geno's place in Smash

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think one big reason why a lot of us here are so invested in Geno and why his Smash demand spans nearly two decades is because of the ending of Super Mario RPG itself. The game didn't just end, Geno leaves his body in a very "my work here is done" way after the team defeats Smithy that made it very apparent to even little kids that Geno was probably never coming back. Up until that point and arguably still, SMRPG had the most emotional ending of any Mario game and didn't have that sort of "see you next time" vibe that a vast majority of Mario games have. SMRPG was kind of like closing a good book that you wish didn't have an end but you were still happy for the characters because, as its ending showed, their wishes came true and their story arcs (at least for the original characters) were complete. In a way, Geno represents what was a major breakout title for the Mario franchise that took a lot of risks that played out in spades and set new standards for what the Mario series could do not only with music, gameplay, and presentation but also story and the personalities of its characters.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
It's probably a bad place to say but if Dragon Quest getting a character meant no playable Geno , I'd be ok with that. But that's the only thing I'd be ok with taking Geno's place in Smash
I guess we'd be going with Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest I characters if that was the case? Go with two characters - the Hero and Dragonlord?

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I'd be very surprised if Geno isn't in at this point. I really want to see what direction Sakurai takes for Geno's design. I loved Smashified's render, and I think it would've been perfect for smash 4. For ultimate, I see Sakurai using more of a darker colored approach

domriver

Smash Lord
I'd be very surprised if Geno isn't in at this point. I really want to see what direction Sakurai takes for Geno's design. I loved Smashified's render, and I think it would've been perfect for smash 4. For ultimate, I see Sakurai using more of a darker colored approach
To be honest - Geno is in good hands. Sakurai does JUSTICE to each of the characters presented beautifully. Just look at Ridley and King K Rool heck even Simon Belmont reveals. Sakurai will make sure geno gets the damn good reveal he deserves after so many years!

Last edited:

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
I’d love it if geno’s reveal would be like cloud’s in a sense that it has a throwback to the game of origin.

A dimly lit room, a few shots of furniture, pans over to a corner of the room as a beam of light casts on something offscreen as a twinkle spirals down, revealing it to be the doll Geno, soon coming to life.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I think one big reason why a lot of us here are so invested in Geno and why his Smash demand spans nearly two decades is because of the ending of Super Mario RPG itself. The game didn't just end, Geno leaves his body in a very "my work here is done" way after the team defeats Smithy that made it very apparent to even little kids that Geno was probably never coming back. Up until that point and arguably still, SMRPG had the most emotional ending of any Mario game and didn't have that sort of "see you next time" vibe that a vast majority of Mario games have. SMRPG was kind of like closing a good book that you wish didn't have an end but you were still happy for the characters because, as its ending showed, their wishes came true and their story arcs (at least for the original characters) were complete. In a way, Geno represents what was a major breakout title for the Mario franchise that took a lot of risks that played out in spades and set new standards for what the Mario series could do not only with music, gameplay, and presentation but also story and the personalities of its characters.
Very well said.

gebi

Cloud Prince
I am glad I am not the only one that feels that way. The only other game that has made me feel that sad about it ending was Ocarina of Time, but i will still sadder with SMRPG because I loved it so much more. It was satisfying and all the loose ends were tied up but that was the problem. I wanted more adventures with these characters but at the same time I wouldn't change how it ended. Besides no matter how long the game was I would be upset about it ending anyway.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's weird how Japan, the region that apparently is pushing for a Dragon quest character according to many people, seems pushing for Geno the most :laugh:
A bit like how Japan was "pushing really hard" for Ashley, despite most ballot metrics putting her far below other options in Japan.

domriver

Smash Lord
I’d love it if geno’s reveal would be like cloud’s in a sense that it has a throwback to the game of origin.

A dimly lit room, a few shots of furniture, pans over to a corner of the room as a beam of light casts on something offscreen as a twinkle spirals down, revealing it to be the doll Geno, soon coming to life.
Would be nice. I want Sakurai to go alllll out with Geno. Smush everything SMRPG related into his trailer seeing everything in glorious HIGH DEF omg. *drools*

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
A bit like how Japan was "pushing really hard" for Ashley, despite most ballot metrics putting her far below other options in Japan.
I've noticed that people like to use "But JAPAN" for a lot of things these days since the metrics are arguably the least reliable coming out of Japan. As an Ashley supporter, I noticed that notion of her being popular in Japan (Which she undoubtedly is, not arguing it) ballooned into her being THE pick for Japan's fan service and even a notion that not including her was slighting the Japanese in some way.

Similarly Dragon Quest related characters haven't appeared on ANY of the data we've seen so far. Sure, that could be a reporting inaccuracy or the inherent data collection bias methods, but you'd think we'd have seen that at least somewhere in the data. Dragon Quest is HUGE in Japan as evidenced by sales... but that doesn't mean Dragon Quest in Smash is inherently a super popular option. I think Dragon Quest is a logical choice to represent, but I think it's a lot more difficult to pull a character to really represent the series other than Slime. My favorite is the Dragon Quest VIII protagonist recommendations I see... I haven't played Dragon Quest, but assuming that the character isn't even named or referenced as a typical name ala Robin (and ugh... I hate mentioning him, but Steve) or even Villager, that really feels hollow to me.

I don't know, I'm starting to get annoyed with people just outright claiming things are this popular or unpopular in Japan without having much to back up those claims. I get our metrics are flawed by response bias, but they're still something we can use.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, SMRPG's ending definitely did have a sense of finality to it that no other Mario ending really has. It's almost like they knew the characters from that game likely wouldn't get the chance to come back anytime soon due to split ownership... though to be fair, I don't think anybody could have predicted Geno's popularity exploding the way that it has.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just popping by to wish you guys luck.
I wouldn't worry, Geno has nearly everything going for him, even Sakurai's blessing, which is something not a lot of characters have.

If no DQ character makes it in because of Geno, I Will respect that. He's unique in every aspect, so he'll grow on me midway through the trailer.

I'm hoping both get in though!

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Seems like they are stiring the pot a bit for us ... mostly as a reminder. However, I do feel like there will be a Nintendo Direct in September that will touch on Smash, amongst other games as well.

They know we want this very very bad.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
SMRPG is one of my favorite games of all time, and Geno is one of my most wanted characters along with Isaac from Golden Sun. Been having a blast playing the game over and over again recently, with the Spell Swap glitch and fan versions like Revolution. Definitely add me to the list of supporters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom