• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

domriver

Smash Lord
Just popping by to wish you guys luck.
I wouldn't worry, Geno has nearly everything going for him, even Sakurai's blessing, which is something not a lot of characters have.

If no DQ character makes it in because of Geno, I Will respect that. He's unique in every aspect, so he'll grow on me midway through the trailer.

I'm hoping both get in though!
We appreciate your support. Thank you.

Seems like they are stiring the pot a bit for us ... mostly as a reminder. However, I do feel like there will be a Nintendo Direct in September that will touch on Smash, amongst other games as well.

They know we want this very very bad.
You know i wonder if Sakurai or at least someone in high position sees all the tweets,memes and such. lol They probably sit back and laugh about it.
Maybe he does hence the King K Rool reveal. lol

SMRPG is one of my favorite games of all time, and Geno is one of my most wanted characters along with Isaac from Golden Sun. Been having a blast playing the game over and over again recently, with the Spell Swap glitch and fan versions like Revolution. Definitely add me to the list of supporters!
Again, thank you for this support. Things are looking up for our puppet man! :D

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have been thinking about the best scenario for Super Mario RPG content in Ultimate. What if alongside Geno, we get Mallow as a playable fighter too? It is the kind of decision I can see Sakurai doing, going way beyond to please the fans.

domriver

Smash Lord
I have been thinking about the best scenario for Super Mario RPG content in Ultimate. What if alongside Geno, we get Mallow as a playable fighter too? It is the kind of decision I can see Sakurai doing, going way beyond to please the fans.
As much as I would actually enjoy that. I see the possibility of that happening 1%. :X I really dont think we will get two. I would love it but i really don't think so. :(

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
I think Mallow would be an assist at most. Mallow would be a cool addition though!

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2018...i-go-hat-trick-and-add-super-mario-rpgs-geno/

I don't know if this has been posted here earlier or not, but this guy makes a mean case a about how close Geno could possibly be for making it into Smash this time around~
He also makes a good point of how the seemingly impossible becomes routinely possible with every smash cycle. How some fans shouldn't be so quick to deny how certain things can never happen in smash, becuz people have been proven wrong before about what they thought couldn't happen!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
It seems the leaks are in this community’s favor, with the Richter leak hinting at a potential new Mario rep, and the Verge Square leak.

I’d also like to point out that the character select screen has Little Mac as the only character amongst the Mario series along the top if you include echoes. While I think Dixie could push K Rool to take Mac’s spot, I do feel that Geno may also be a likely possibility to have a complete Mario row.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Given the contents of Simon's trailer, if they could somehow make Mallow an Echo out of someone I could see it, but it isn't blatantly obvious who it would be of and there isn't demand for it; with this game being the ballot characters, they aren't going to waste development time on a seldom-requested character (in the case of being unique).

I’d also like to point out that the character select screen has Little Mac as the only character amongst the Mario series along the top if you include echoes. While I think Dixie could push K Rool to take Mac’s spot, I do feel that Geno may also be a likely possibility to have a complete Mario row.
This is not a thing they care about at all; Smash 4 didn't even put the clones with their franchises, and the roster never made a perfect rectangle on either platform.

Also, they haven't shown us the character select screen.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
This is not a thing they care about at all; Smash 4 didn't even put the clones with their franchises, and the roster never made a perfect rectangle on either platform.

Also, they haven't shown us the character select screen.
Sorry, may have been looking at a fan mock up.

As Dan Dan pointed out, with the Simon/Richter double reveal it's plausible. In that case, Richter was Simon's echo (or vice versa?). I'm not sure Mallow is popular enough to be added as an original char. I couldn't imagine Mallow being a Geno's echo either, moveset wise, it would be a stretch imo. Maybe as a Kirby echo.. but even this would be a stretch (again imo).

ALTHOUGH! there could be another SMRPG character, a suitable echo for Geno... any ideas?

Croco for smash! :)

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's crazy to think that a day before the Direct, we were at page number 44. And today, we'll reach page number 100, that's wonderful !

+ We also surpassed the Geno's thread for Smash 4 !

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That would be an amazing moment of fan service and acknowledgment for Super Mario RPG, but that's also really pushing things in a different way. People have a hard enough time seeing Geno as a character in Smash, and Mallow would get the tired "Literal Who" argument, but without the much larger fan support that Geno has to back him up. I think that would likely disappoint a lot of people/put a huge target on us for being the people who were responsible for "wasting slots." I don't agree with any of it, but I'd say some of the perception would be somewhere around that.

Geno just has the legacy at this point and the years of dedication to his inclusion in Smash. He makes sense in a way Mallow doesn't, and even with Sakurai wanting to give potentially a good amount of attention to Super Mario RPG, I don't think he would go that far.

And to be fair, I'm basically at the point where I'm not sure if we'd even get a Super Mario RPG stage with Geno. There's already so many Mario stages in the game this time and King K Rool didn't even get the Gangplank Galleon. I suspect that any new stages we have are left for entirely new series to be shown off (Like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, or any other third parties we don't know of). Sure, Geno is in a special place as a third party Mario character, but I can just as easily see him taking one of the numerous Mario stages as a home (We totally should get one anyway though).

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It seems the leaks are in this community’s favor, with the Richter leak hinting at a potential new Mario rep, and the Verge Square leak.

I could see Geno getting his own Icon separate from the rest of the Mario cast though, possibly. You know like Wario. I think Geno or Paper Mario would be different enough from the rest of them to merit this.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and Geno could be revealed in the general direct in a few weeks. He'd be a good one to reveal at the end of the Direct like how both Ridley and K. Rool were.

Dan

Smash Lord
As Dan Dan pointed out, with the Simon/Richter double reveal it's plausible. In that case, Richter was Simon's echo (or vice versa?). I'm not sure Mallow is popular enough to be added as an original char. I couldn't imagine Mallow being a Geno's echo either, moveset wise, it would be a stretch imo. Maybe as a Kirby echo.. but even this would be a stretch (again imo).
Mallow obviously couldn't echo Geno; I get the Kirby thing becuase of the body type, but the floating/eating doesn't make it plausible.

Someone passed around the idea of a Ness echo, which again, the jumping would be weird; there could be some bizarre thing where a cloud allows Mallow to get that high, but I don't see it. He is definitely plausible as a character that could just borrow moves from a bunch of others though. Someone had a problem with a Mario character echoing an Earthbound character, but that's not a valid point at all.

And to be fair, I'm basically at the point where I'm not sure if we'd even get a Super Mario RPG stage with Geno. There's already so many Mario stages in the game this time and King K Rool didn't even get the Gangplank Galleon. I suspect that any new stages we have are left for entirely new series to be shown off (Like Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, or any other third parties we don't know of). Sure, Geno is in a special place as a third party Mario character, but I can just as easily see him taking one of the numerous Mario stages as a home (We totally should get one anyway though).
Gangplank not being a stage is absolute failure (though we at least have a pirate ship stage), just as Forest Maze not being one would be if Geno is included; two must-have iconic arenas tied to these characters.

I could see Geno getting his own Icon separate from the rest of the Mario cast though, possibly. You know like Wario. I think Geno or Paper Mario would be different enough from the rest of them to merit this.
He will be a Mario rep; SMRPG is not a series, however, if he must be differentiated since he's second-party, maybe a silhouette of Exor or something?

He is definitely plausible as a character that could just borrow moves from a bunch of others though.
Good point. Still i think it would be a stretch. Pikachu/Pichu's thunderbolt, Ice climber's Blizzard maybe?

As much as I would love to see Mallow in smash i can't figure how they would pull that off, i'm ready to be pleasantly surprised though.

Someone had a problem with a Mario character echoing an Earthbound character, but that's not a valid point at all.
This 'someone' must have been mindblowned by Ganondorf echoing Capt. Falcon back in melee :)

domriver

Smash Lord
Mallow as an echo. Hard to see it happening. I dont know he has so many unique movies. Snowman, Star, rain, thunder bolt etc.. cymbals!! Those were cool jejejej. He can be a full fledged unique character.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Mallow as an echo. Hard to see it happening. I dont know he has so many unique movies. Snowman, Star, rain, thunder bolt etc.. cymbals!! Those were cool jejejej. He can be a full fledged unique character.
I don't see Mallow as an echo. I've stated before that I don't see them mixing franchises for echos. We've seen Ganondorf be a clone of Captain Falcon, but that was 17 years ago. I really don't see Mallow as a playable character in any sense, but if he were to be playable, I would think it's unique or nothing as I don't see a match for an echo. As fun as he would be, I think he's an AT at best.

Dan

Smash Lord
So echo's with multiple sources are now a thing? Cause I really like Blade of Evil's Bane's suggestion of thunderbolt and blizzard; it's not going to happen, but we can dream. Snowman final smash and cymbals F-smash. Frog stick (or even fists) neutral; actually quite an easy character with endless possibilities to conceptualize when compared to wasted slots like Wii Fit Trainer.

I don't see Mallow as an echo. I've stated before that I don't see them mixing franchises for echos. We've seen Ganondorf be a clone of Captain Falcon, but that was 17 years ago. I really don't see Mallow as a playable character in any sense, but if he were to be playable, I would think it's unique or nothing as I don't see a match for an echo. As fun as he would be, I think he's an AT at best.
He could be an echo, but that would be a disservice to him imo; like he could be a really lame and uninspired Sopo echo with improved moves over those that become ineffective when just playing as Popo. Just replace the mallet with frog stick; again, lame, but better than nothing?

It could actually be a really unique take on players that prefer playing as just Popo for whatever reason.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, we have brought up the idea of a SMRPG remake before multiple times, but what would the hypothetical remake be like? What would change, stay the same, get added, or get removed? That sort of thing.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
papagenos papagenos has a great video on Geno in Smash, a history behind the growth of support base and why his chances have gotten up for Ultimate.

Thank you! glad you liked it, and thanks for posting it here!!! I was going to put it in this thread but i'm not even home this week so it's been a hassle to get some time online and the internet where i am is spotty.

So once again thank you!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Wario was still next to the Mario cast though.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Thank you! glad you liked it, and thanks for posting it here!!! I was going to put it in this thread but i'm not even home this week so it's been a hassle to get some time online and the internet where i am is spotty.

So once again thank you!
After seeing your video on the Square leak from Vergeben, I got really excited for this to come out. I was around during the Brawl days, but even I forgot a few things here and there. It was a really well done video, and you got me hooked on your channel. Nice to support an avid Geno fan the way the Isaac fans support BillyBo!

So echo's with multiple sources are now a thing? Cause I really like Blade of Evil's Bane's suggestion of thunderbolt and blizzard; it's not going to happen, but we can dream. Snowman final smash and cymbals F-smash. Frog stick (or even fists) neutral; actually quite an easy character with endless possibilities to conceptualize when compared to wasted slots like Wii Fit Trainer.

He could be an echo, but that would be a disservice to him imo; like he could be a really lame and uninspired Sopo echo with improved moves over those that become ineffective when just playing as Popo. Just replace the mallet with frog stick; again, lame, but better than nothing?

It could actually be a really unique take on players that prefer playing as just Popo for whatever reason.
You're right. He could be, but it would be a huge disservice. It would also go against what Sakurai has typically done with the others.

Last edited:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Adding my name to the list of Geno supporters. I've got a feeling our boy is going to make it in as a unique playable character this time around!

MattX20

Smash Hero

So once again thank you!
It's a great video, dude. You summed up exactly why Geno is great, and why guys like me have wanted him to appear in this series for nearly 2 decades

Last edited:

ThatIsFalco

Smash Rookie
Adding my name to the list of Geno supporters. I've got a feeling our boy is going to make it in as a unique playable character this time around!
I as well. Geno has quickly rose up to my most wanted character in Ultimate, and I think he has a really good shot!

Kero!

Smash Cadet
I keep seeing this image circle around and even if some people are saying it's a joke, the people in the comments sections don't appear to think so??
I'm not too sure at this point. I have such high hopes for Geno that every little thing I see keeps setting me back oops
I really wish I could tell them more about Geno but I don't wanna seem... obsessed, some crazy Geno fan, yeah? I don't want to cause drama either
I know it's best to ignore it but I just thought I'd share ^^'
I swear Geno's much more than... that
If it does cause drama, I take full responsibility
(This is the image that keeps getting posted)

(people do make the: he's too old, no one knows who he is, etc etc etc claims on these posts)

Edit: I've seen the comments on these posts reach up to 200+ on the debate and that's kind of concerning?

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I keep seeing this image circle around and even if some people are saying it's a joke, the people in the comments sections don't appear to think so??
I'm not too sure at this point. I have such high hopes for Geno that every little thing I see keeps setting me back oops
I really wish I could tell them more about Geno but I don't wanna seem... obsessed, some crazy Geno fan, yeah? I don't want to cause drama either

(people do make the: he's too old, no one knows who he is, etc etc etc claims on these posts)

Edit: I've seen the comments on these posts reach up to 200+ on the debate and that's kind of concerning?
the last point for then should be Goku: "Creator of samsh bros and ex-nintendo president Laughed at the mere suggestion" and Geno: "Creator actually really likes and wants them in" :p

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice

This is laughable. Look at King K. Rool, he was the villain in a game from 19 years ago! Many of the younger crowd probably weren't all that familiar with him. K. Rool also made some cameos in games. The bottom line is Sakurai wants Geno in Smash and I expect him to do whats necessary to achieve that this time around. If I remember the timing correctly of when the Geno costume released (feel free to correct me), it's possible he may have got the licensing for Geno for ultimate back then.

aquasound

Smash Rookie
Hello! Lurker and long-time supporter of Geno since the Brawl days here. Since his exclusion from Smash 4, my hopes of him being in a Smash game have dwindled, but with the recent character inclusions and all the buzz about Geno in Ultimate, I've never felt more hyped! Here's to our Starboy hopefully getting into Smash Ultimate!

PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate I've already liked the OP, but just to make sure please put me down as a Geno supporter! Thanks!

Last edited:

Yeah i've seen similar things floating around too. Arguments made out of numbers cannot justify the love for a videogame or a character. As
papagenos papagenos stated in his video, Mario RPG was a big deal when it came out (it's very well explained in the video so i won't go over it again). This context must be taken into consideration. A lot of people absolutely loved this game, biased statistics don't mean much compare to that.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

fixedmeme.png

Fixed.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
So with Vergeben saying his source says that a new Square Enix character will be in Smash, that increases my hope for it to be Geno.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So with Vergeben saying his source says that a new Square Enix character will be in Smash, that increases my hope for it to be Geno.
He's also reportedly said "It's the one you know about", which is a weird thing to say, since Square characters aren't exactly common in Smash speculation...except for one. The *only* Square character to have tangibly good ballot results. I wonder who...

grizby2

Smash Lord
the hype is so real now! and geno is only my #2 pick!

would you like to know the probability of Geno getting into smash brothers ultimate?

its HIGH
its VERY HIGH!

and I don't even mind if a lot of people hate geno, because even if you do, you basically acknowledge the the fact that hes a big BIG deal.

I agree that if geno gets confirmed, we might not get a new stage, especially after reading that interview where sakurai mentions that making a stage could possibly take a year or more to create, which really makes me put things into perspective. at least its less work for sakurai, and maybe more focus can be spent on the character. I think we'll be okay without a stage IMO. I mean K. Rool didn't get his own stage but just his presence alone was bloody INSANE and hype inducing and left everyone pretty satisfied! I believe that Nintendo direct had the most views ever out of all directs (from what I've heard). so I think geno's trailer would get the same kind of treatment and would still be a great reveal. heck, it may trump the number of views of king k rools trailer !

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
He's also reportedly said "It's the one you know about", which is a weird thing to say, since Square characters aren't exactly common in Smash speculation...except for one. The *only* Square character to have tangibly good ballot results. I wonder who...
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he was referring to his source when he said that, not Geno. He still doesn't know who the character is specifically, although it is regardless very likely to be us (if Vergeben speaks the truth, that is).

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he was referring to his source when he said that, not Geno. He still doesn't know who the character is specifically, although it is regardless very likely to be us (if Vergeben speaks the truth, that is).
Ah, fair, thanks for the clarification. Good then, because at least that source has a positive track record.

But yeah, it's almost certainly Geno. I doubt any other Square character was anywhere near his presence on the ballot. Any metrics we have have him beating *Cloud* by a mile. Power of the speculation scene, I swear.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ah, fair, thanks for the clarification. Good then, because at least that source has a positive track record.

But yeah, it's almost certainly Geno. I doubt any other Square character was anywhere near his presence on the ballot. Any metrics we have have him beating *Cloud* by a mile. Power of the speculation scene, I swear.
No need to think in small terms. With a dozen possible dlc characters (or maybe even more), there's no reason SquareEnix can't have more entries, it's one for the most reknown franchises. No reason not to be open to Geno and 1 or even 2 more characters from them. I mean, you can think what you want, but I may keep bringing it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom