• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
People get hurt when they put their hopes up in certain ways. They thought he had chances, even if they arent as high as now. I think some people here are just wounded because of that. He definitely has the highest chances now, especially with a good relationship with SE.
Ah, yeah I would personally don't feel too hurt when a character i want didn't have anything going for him with hints, evidence or whatever… I WOULD when the situation is like now tho, where many things are really pointing for his chances in a positive way. I hope you all get your guy! I'm not officially a geno supporter but I want people to be happy, the wooden boy i'm supporting atm is skull kid so i know the feeling, lol

domriver

Smash Lord
Ah, yeah I would personally don't feel too hurt when a character i want didn't have anything going for him with hints, evidence or whatever… I WOULD when the situation is like now tho, where many things are really pointing for his chances in a positive way. I hope you all get your guy! I'm not officially a geno supporter but I want people to be happy, the wooden boy i'm supporting atm is skull kid so i know the feeling, lol
We really appreciate the support. Ever since the last Direct revealing King K Rool. Its almost clear that everyone is fully expecting Geno at this point and with good reason. Not just because. OF all the things said and done. The planets couldn't be more aligned for Geno than they already are! Its just a matter of waiting when Sakurai will bless us. LOL then ill post that image after the Ridley and Rool reveals.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I really expect sakurai to release the game on december saying that, he knows the memes anyways, lol

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just noticed I haven't been put on the supporter's list yet PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate
Supporter list is being updated tomorrow. I get a 3 day weekend from Friday until Sunday, but I got a tough work schedule today

Also everyone, remember to like the OP if you want to be guaranteed when I update the list

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
LOL WOULDNT THAT BE FUNNY? xD If he actually said that after the Final Direct for smash?
Incidentally I was thinking about whether he'd know of that particular meme, when I was at work today.

I've considered Geno as one of the closest things to a shoo-in ever since I created my first prediction roster for Ultimate. I'll be legitimately surprised/a little insulted if the Square rep Vergeben refers to isn't Geno.

I guess now's as good a time as any to request being put on the supporter list.
I would understand if they decided to toss in a Dragon Quest character. Lord knows the fanbase for it at home is practically biting nails waiting reveals for that series.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even before this Verg update, I was already running on hope because Sakurai's official statements on Richter, basically saying he didn't care if people didn't know him or if he was old because he was hoping his addition would inspire people to seek out Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night. Basically puts a gun in the mouth of the age old" Geno's too obscure" argument.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
5 pages left until 100. It feels like yesterday when there were only 9 pages total. This is absolutely insane.

The stars are truly lining up for our boy this time around, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
On Discord I created a full timeline of speculation, hints, and evidence throughout our time. I thought the rest of you would care to see as well.

5/16/2006 - Sakurai publicly releases a character poll for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This list contains characters that were suggested/requested by Japanese fans.

The list of Top 10 characters, sorted by popularity and requests, is listed as follows:
King Dedede (Kirby) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars) - ???
Ike (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Ridley (Metroid) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Krystal (Star Fox) - Confirmed! (Assist Trophy)
Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - Confirmed! (Assist Trophy)
Link (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)
Villager (Animal Crossing) - Confirmed! (Playable Character)

Link to the poll here: https://smashboards.com/threads/characters-on-sakurais-poll.71872/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/6/2015 - Lazuliro, a senior artist at Nintendo, posts a piece of art depicting Geno, along with the caption: "Super Mario RPG has been a topic lately at the studio so Geno felt right to draw :)" The post has since been deleted. Link to Lazuliro's tumblr here: https://lazuliro.tumblr.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12/14/15 - Twitter user RandomTBush RandomTBush , known for leaking Smash game files, comes across a Mii costume of Geno, along with a Chocobo hat. The tweet containing the image below has since been deleted. The next day, during the Smash 4 Final Video Presentation, this Geno Mii Costume is officially revealed. Suspiciously, this is the only Mii Costume to receive its own specific splash card. This also marks Geno’s first appearance in a Smash Bros. title.

2/20/2016 - Masahiro Sakurai is interviewed by Nintendo Dream, a Japanese gaming magazine. Within it, the interviewer brings up Geno's recently released Mii Costume.

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: "To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality."

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: "That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume."

Link to the Nintendo Dream interview here: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5/13/2018 - The official @NintendoAmerica Twitter account posts a snippet of SMRPG gameplay to celebrate the game's 22nd anniversary, along with the following caption: "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars launched for the Super NES on this day in 1996. Are you Team Mallow or Team Geno?"

Link to the tweet here: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/995680065206784000

6/21/2018 - Masahiro Sakurai is interviewed by Famitsu, another Japanese gaming magazine. During this interview, Sakurai reveals the date of completion for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's project proposal.

Sakurai: "The first proposal was completed in December 2015, back while we were still working on DLC for the previous title.It wasn’t until later that I assembled a team and began development on this new title in earnest."

This date ties very well to both the deleted art presented above and Geno’s Mii Costume reveal, as well as the Japanese, European, and Australian releases of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars on the Wii U's Virtual Console.

Link to the Famitsu interview here: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/07/02/smash_special_complete/
8/22/2018 - Masahiro Sakurai is once again interviewed by Famitsu, this time following the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Nintendo Direct on 8/8/2018. This Direct revealed Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and fan-favorite choice King K. Rool. During this interview, Sakurai says this:

Sakurai: "I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes."

The Smash Ballot was an official poll released by Nintendo on 4/1/2015, that lasted until 10/3/2015. The poll allowed fans to suggest characters to supposedly be included as playable fighters in Smash 4's DLC lifespan. The Ballot was later found to have little to no correlation to Smash 4's DLC, and instead is planned to be used for Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Link to the second Famitsu interview here: https://sourcegaming.info/2018/08/2...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

Whether or not Geno makes it, it's been a hell of a ride. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So when if Geno gets in, how Fast would you guys Buy that Amiibo of him?
I'd pre-order him immediately.

I've mentioned this before but owning a Geno amiibo would be cathartic for me. It would be the manifestation and physical reward of waiting for 12 years and give me something tangible to put this chapter of my life behind me. In a positive way!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Geno amiibo! I didn't even think about that. I'd probably get it tbh.

So, I added a little Geno to my sig, and now whenever I reload a page there's sometimes 1 image missing from it, but it's always random. Geno randomized my sig, nice :D (nvm, I think maybe it just happens with pages that have lots of images, dunno. :p)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd pre-order it ASAP. I don't usually pre-order, and I don't try to get all of the amiibos, but Geno was my favourite Super Mario RPG party member, so I'd definitely want to make sure that I got that amiibo.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Geno amiibo… that would become a collector thing almost immediately with how rare it's gonna be after it's sold out, lol

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
the often upraised attribute for having all these fan favorites in smash is like finally, characters like Ridley, K Rool and finally Geno can have widley available Merchandise :p

you just gotta hope your Geno Amiibo doesn't get possessed while your not looking thats all

link2702

Smash Champion
It’d be the *only* amiibo I’d buy.

I’ve always been annoyed at the amiibos, especially because Nintendo locks certain stuff behind them, ranging from gear in botw, to the cameramode in splatoon 2, so to date I haven’t bought a single one.

But with that said, I’d buy a geno amiibo so fast, hell I’d buy more than one, just so I could keep one in the box.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I already own every Amiibo and plan on getting every Smash Ultimate Amiibo, but he'd of course be the highest priority.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
SLAPS TOP OF GENO AMIIBO

This doll can charge so many stars!

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Yup you're spot on with all of that, except the last one. Verge actually said "But I don't know for sure who it is at the moment. " about the SE charcter.
No square enix character is more requested than Geno. Some people might say Sora but I think he would be a great choice for DLC. The only character that has had a crossover with Nintendo from Square. Its impossible to miss at this point

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
No square enix character is more requested than Geno. Some people might say Sora but I think he would be a great choice for DLC
The problem is Sora is owned by Disney, not Square Enix. So...unless Dragon Quest had a huge bandwagon in Japan to rival Bandana Waddle Dee, I seriously doubt Geno would have competition.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The problem is Sora is owned by Disney, not Square Enix. So...unless Dragon Quest had a huge bandwagon in Japan to rival Bandana Waddle Dee, I seriously doubt Geno would have competition.
You know, I think in all the time I have peeked over at the Sora thread, I do not recall a single time where they talked about the possibility of Geno outpacing Sora. They have only ever tried to dispel the problems of Sora's legality.

ThatIsFalco

Smash Rookie
Although when talking about how many more characters we'll get in remember all the returning vets we got on top of the reused assets. Also just retooling a lot of old characters. I think we'll get 3 brand new characters and 4 more echoes. So 70 original characters and 10 echos making total of 80

I've had a thought recently. People have said that the one thing that could stop Geno from getting into smash is square not allowing him in.
But thing is considering the timing of when development would be starting and when the geno Costume was added. Is it not possible if not highly likely that when Sakurai got the rights for Geno's mii costume he also just got the rights to use him in the next game?

Like it would seem silly and inconvenient to ask for the two things at seperate times if at the time Sakurai already knew the next game was in the works.
In the December 2015 presentation, Sakurai introduces Geno with (after the Cloud showcase) "and thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release another mii fighter costume..."
I do not see any reason why SE should be stingy with Geno's copyrights imo

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Verge said there was another Square character, eh?

Still dunno how on board I am with him, but that's still nothing but a good sign.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
we've been let down too many times before.

I made the mistake in the past of hoping a little too much only to have my dreams shattered, not again, not even with everything lining up so perfectly this time.
Seriously, people forget that Sakurai already HAS the rights to Geno (in a way) by Square allowing Nintendo to sell Mii costumes of the character. On top of this, his Mii costume WAS the sole focus of the costume DLC at the time, along with the fact he actually got his own title card (as if he was joining at the time).

Its completely Geno. I refuse to believe its someone else lol.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if Mallow is incorporated into his FS OR, more surprisingly is a character that you could switch to (Down-B anyone?)

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Smash 4 was one step away from having Geno in the game ... I certainly hope they upgrade him in this.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Seriously, people forget that Sakurai already HAS the rights to Geno (in a way) by Square allowing Nintendo to sell Mii costumes of the character. On top of this, his Mii costume WAS the sole focus of the costume DLC at the time, along with the fact he actually got his own title card (as if he was joining at the time).

Its completely Geno. I refuse to believe its someone else lol.

Edit: I also wouldn't be surprised if Mallow is incorporated into his FS OR, more surprisingly is a character that you could switch to (Down-B anyone?)
I have thought of Movesets that have Mallow as a sort of partner to Geno, think less Ice Climbers though and more like what Toad is to Peach, expect Mallow would probably be in some tilts too

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
I would buy that Amiibo in a milisecond. On top of a Switch and the game :')

I just thought of something earlier, ya know how one of his famous quotes (which I kinda hope he will be voiced) is "I serve.... A higher authority."

Many people thinks it's Rosalina when she came to be.
If Geno gets his own reveal trailer, we will get a response on "Is Rosalina his higher authority".

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
With all due respect, I don't understand why people keep wanting to partner up Geno and Mallow. The only reason Icies are teamed up is because they were in their game and the only reason Diddy/Dixie was first conceived as a tag-team is because they tag-teamed in the game. Geno and Mallow have always been separate characters. In fact, you don't even recruit them at the same time and you can literally shelf one of them and never use them in your party. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mallow seems like the perfect representative for an SMRPG assist.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I still think it's an SE rep that's not Geno, and Geno will come along too. And I ain't gonna change my tune til we see for sure ;0

Zema

Smash Journeyman
With all due respect, I don't understand why people keep wanting to partner up Geno and Mallow. The only reason Icies are teamed up is because they were in their game and the only reason Diddy/Dixie was first conceived as a tag-team is because they tag-teamed in the game. Geno and Mallow have always been separate characters. In fact, you don't even recruit them at the same time and you can literally shelf one of them and never use them in your party. It doesn't make sense to me.

Mallow seems like the perfect representative for an SMRPG assist.
Yeah Mallow is a perfect Assist Trophy. As an actual character? His moveset in SMRPG... doesn't transfer over as neatly as Geno's.

domriver

Smash Lord
I would buy that Amiibo in a milisecond. On top of a Switch and the game :')

I just thought of something earlier, ya know how one of his famous quotes (which I kinda hope he will be voiced) is "I serve.... A higher authority."

Many people thinks it's Rosalina when she came to be.
If Geno gets his own reveal trailer, we will get a response on "Is Rosalina his higher authority".
Geno HAS to say this at some point somewhere in Ultimate. :D
" I server a HIGHER Authority*

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Everything is in our favor this time. I’m finally starting to actually believe it is happening

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I swear, every time it seems things can't get any better for us, an avalanche of new information comes along and tips the scales even further in our favor.

I love it. It feels great to have a bandwagon backing you up. Now I know how Skull Kid feels...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom