• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Maybe it was because the game was released in the VC.
Also, "Mario RPG fans", I'm a Mario RPG fan, the difference is that I'm not biased.

If you think this is so important, you should post it in the General DLC Discussion Thread or the NintenZone Thread, because all the people in this thread think everything is real, I mean, seriously, some users here still think that incredibly bad leak is real.
Or maybe not, he didn't say virtual console or anything so maybe it's something different that we never knew about, Not to mention a lot of things were going around since 2012 about SMRPG.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Since there's a bit of a lull news-wise, why don't we take some time out here to write down some common arguments for Geno and address common arguments against him? This way we'll have an FAQ with talking points we can refer to when people argue over the issue as they are so wont to do here. I'm bored so I'll start.

I saw in the "Who do you NOT want for Smash?" thread that people did not want Geno because:
  • Geno has only one major appearance
  • He's very obscure
  • There are more deserving Mario and Square Enix characters <<< This point especially. People feel there are too many Mario characters and that other Square Enix characters are more deserving.
So here are some responses off the top of my head:

Geno has only one major appearance/Geno is very obscure

I'm lumping these two together because the response to both is the same: you can make that same argument about almost any Square Enix character.

Geno was a prominent character in SMRPG and had a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Most Square contenders have had these types of appearances or less. Chrono was the main character of Chrono Trigger and had a cameo in Chrono Cross along with Marle and Lucca. Cecil was the main character of FF4 and had a cameo in Secret of Evermore. Terra was the main character of FF6. Even Black Mage was a member of your party in the original FF game and then was playable in Mario 3 on 3 (I think he had a cameo role as a tutor in FF Dissidia). These characters with the exception of Black Mage (and the generic ones like Slime, chocobos, Moogles, etc.) are not iconic and are themselves very obscure outside of the FF and Smash community, just as people argue that Geno is.

However even having few appearances in games and being very obscure doesn't mean a character shouldn't be playable in Smash. If that were the case then we wouldn't have Ness or Lucas.

There are more deserving Mario/Square Enix characters:

This of course depends on what criterion one uses to decide who is deserving or not. But the problem with the "deserving" argument, at least under those general criterion, is that no Square Enix character has the unique connection between Square and Nintendo the way Geno or anyone from Super Mario RPG does and few have the history, cult status or the popularity to really make them deserving. Even the more iconic Square characters like Black Mage or the Moogles, chocobos, etc. haven't directly impacted Nintendo's history the way that Super Mario RPG did and represent Square's history a lot more than they do Nintendo's when the latter is what Smash is supposed to be all about.

Geno is a lot different from the other Square characters because of the history and connection his game has with Nintendo. Super Mario RPG was an RPG made by Square for Nintendo and Square owns the rights to most of the characters in the game, including Geno. This puts Geno, Mallow, and the rest of the franchise in a unique position: they're Mario characters and also Square characters. Super Mario RPG was also the precursor to both the Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi RPG series, series which are now integral parts of the Mario universe. This makes Super Mario RPG much more important than other Square series, even Final Fantasy which has always been representative of Square and not Nintendo. This extremely important part of Nintendo's history has been poorly underrepresented because of a ten-year feud between Square and Nintendo which was caused by Square releasing FF7 for the Playstation and not the N64, point in fact. This is why Super Mario RPG, and its most popular and well-known character, Geno, are arguably more deserving than the other Square contenders -- that game is the reason why large parts of the Mario universe are the way they are and therefore needs to be brought back into the light, and putting Geno in Smash would make that happen.

Smash is more than a Mascot Rumble and should highlight key parts of Nintendo's history. Super Mario RPG, unlike the other Square games, is a key part of that history that has been poorly and unfairly underrepresented for almost 20 years now, and that needs to change. If obscure, one-off, unknown parts of Nintendo's history like Game & Watch and ROB can get in, why not Geno? (And before anyone argues that point, who here really knew who Game & Watch was before Smash? Or remembered ROB for that matter?)

As for too many Mario characters, that's a point one could make against Daisy, or Waluigi, or Toad, or Paper Mario (who exists because of Super Mario RPG) or any other Mario contender. One could argue that that fact doesn't dismiss the point, but like it or not Mario is Nintendo's flagship series so one should expect it to have more representation in a game like Smash. I also argue that Geno is very different from the other Mario contenders due not only to the fact that he was made by Square but because of the (very brief and barely-scratched-the-surface explanation of) game's history I explain in the previous two paragraphs, and because of those arguments he is therefore a higher-priority contender than the others.

Can anyone else think of some reasons why Geno shouldn't get in? If you can, post them and I'll try to come up with some kind of passable rebuttal. Also anybody here who's good at debating should pitch in and help.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Can anyone else think of some reasons why Geno shouldn't get in? If you can, post them and I'll try to come up with some kind of passable rebuttal. Also anybody here who's good at debating should pitch in and help.
when people say "his popularity died down after brawl" and "Nintendo and Square doesnt care about him and they didn't use him in Mario sport mix" as a reason

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
when people say "his popularity died down after brawl" and "Nintendo and Square doesnt care about him and they didn't use him in Mario sport mix" as a reason
All righty, I'll give these two my best shot and I hope some of you guys who are more knowledgeable can fill in my arguments or correct me if I'm wrong.

Geno's just a fad character; his popularity died down after Brawl

It is a very unfortunate fact that Geno doesn't have nearly as many supporters on Smashboards now as he did during the Brawl days. The reason why, however, isn't necessarily because of bandwagoners getting bored and moving on to something else, it's because the previously large and powerful fanbase here had their hopes shattered when Geno didn't make it into Brawl which completely destroyed their motivation to participate anymore. Fatmanonice is a really good example of that; he used to be one of the most prominent members and even went so far as to try to hand-deliver a Geno For Brawl petition to Nintendo reps at Japan IIRC, but when everyone realized Geno didn't make it in his hope shattered and his confidence took such a nosedive to the point where he doesn't really participate in the community anymore.

However that doesn't really represent Geno's cult fanbase which is really big, underground, and primarily on Tumblr, Facebook and Deviantart these days. Searches for Geno and Super Mario RPG on those sites attest to the fact that many, many fans still remain. There's always been this big cult around Super Mario RPG and Geno for the past 20 years, due in large part to the fact that the game has had almost zero representation in that time because of the feud between Nintendo and Square. This fanbase has cried and campaigned for almost two decades now to get Geno and Mallow in games again. Point in fact Geno has been supported for Smash since Melee. Just because everything fell apart after Brawl doesn't mean Geno's fans aren't still out there or that he was just a fad character.

Nintendo and Square don't care about Geno. If they did, why wouldn't they put him in Mario Sports Mix?

It IS very unfortunate and very odd that Geno, Mallow and other SMRPG content wasn't included in Mario Sports Mix. However this doesn't mean that Square and Nintendo don't care about the game. For one thing, the Mushroom Kingdom theme from SMRPG was in Fortune Street. Secondly, I posit that the reason why Geno and Mallow haven't appeared in recent games despite Square and Nintendo burying the hatchet isn't because they don't care, it's because they're extremely unaware of how popular and desired Geno and Mallow really are.

In an interview with Alphadream, the reporter actually asked the execs about going back and re-using Geno and Mallow in future games. When they were asked about this, their response was:

Then a funny thing happened at our interview: Ohtani turned the tables around and asked us a question. “You guys really seem to like Super Mario RPG,“ he inquired. We responded that it’s actually a huge topic of conversation with the IGN readers around the world. A lot of people love that world that was created so long ago, and they really want to see a return to it someday -- especially Geno and Mallow.
They then go on to say:

“I was wondering if that might be some way to approach using Geno and Mallow in a future game, so that we’d still be able to look for fun new ideas like Mr. Ohtani was talking about. We wouldn’t get bogged down, but we could still provide a view of these characters for fans who really want to see one.”
The context of the interview implies that being asked about it and, more importantly, being told that there is a huge SMRPG fanbase, changed their minds about the issue. This indicates that the reason why SMRPG remains underrepresented isn't because Square and Nintendo do not care, but because they are out of touch with what their fanbase wants, which is of course something the Geno community here on Smashboards tries to fix.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, are there any more common criticisms that should be addressed? What about some positive points? I already brought up the history argument, what else could we use?

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I think you've addressed everything pretty appropriately.

I think people have developed opinions about Geno on Smash Boards from other people's vicious demand for other characters. Some of the passion results in attacks on other popular choices. "I'm so tired of hearing about '---'" "He didn't make it into Brawl, he won't make it in now." "'------' is overrated." All of which still point to the fandom and persistent fanbase.

People on these forums seem to get sucked into their own little world thinking that this forum represents the though process for all Smash fans, which is obviously not the case. Some attacks come in unison, and as a result often seem like an act of solidarity - reinforcing already unnecessary, and incorrect attacks.

If there's one thing I know about Sakurai, it's that he's unpredictable. There's a lot of sleeper characters that have better chances of getting in than people think.

Last edited:

Chico2099

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for being away for a while but, I don't check smashboards out too often anymore however, I know I said I'm not buying into the leak until I see evidence but, I had another one of my subscribers also send me the same line of data claiming that they data mined it as well. This is the second person to send me that same line of data in a private message. This one claims that there are some lines of code that are in relation to the 'jino' code or could be a placeholder for something to do with it but, I don't really know anything about that kind of stuff. Has anyone actually been able to verify if the code is in the game? I sent a message to a guy I know for sure has the capabilities to data mine but, he has yet to respond. Do any of you know if we can find out for sure? I know the bush guy said he didn't see anything but, its possible it was overlooked. Please let me know if anyone finds anymore information on this. Also I'm well aware this could be fake but, its just that two people have sent this to me know. At first I thought it was the first guy sending it to me on another account to try and hype me up again but, this two accounts have totally different IP addresses so as far as I know that means they are not same the person. Regardless any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really hope to see him in SSF2 if not SSB4, that's basically Geno's biggest shot in getting in a Smash game ever, since I'm sure that there will be more lenience to one shot Nintendo characters this time.^_^

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice
here's one that almost every geno hater say's"Geno is owned by square,and nintendo won't waste there time and there money on getting the rights to one obscure character" it makes me mad whenever someone say's that :(

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Sorry for being away for a while but, I don't check smashboards out too often anymore however, I know I said I'm not buying into the leak until I see evidence but, I had another one of my subscribers also send me the same line of data claiming that they data mined it as well. This is the second person to send me that same line of data in a private message. This one claims that there are some lines of code that are in relation to the 'jino' code or could be a placeholder for something to do with it but, I don't really know anything about that kind of stuff. Has anyone actually been able to verify if the code is in the game? I sent a message to a guy I know for sure has the capabilities to data mine but, he has yet to respond. Do any of you know if we can find out for sure? I know the bush guy said he didn't see anything but, its possible it was overlooked. Please let me know if anyone finds anymore information on this. Also I'm well aware this could be fake but, its just that two people have sent this to me know. At first I thought it was the first guy sending it to me on another account to try and hype me up again but, this two accounts have totally different IP addresses so as far as I know that means they are not same the person. Regardless any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Don't listen to them, they're trolls. People hide behind proxies to fake their IPs all the time, and just because two people tell you something doesn't make it true. Don't just automatically believe people who tell you things like that.

here's one that almost every geno hater say's"Geno is owned by square,and nintendo won't waste there time and there money on getting the rights to one obscure character" it makes me mad whenever someone say's that :(
Well, that one can be scratched out straight off the bat due to the fact that we have third parties in the game, but here's a more official FAQ-looking response:

Geno is owned by Square, that's the reason why he won't be in Smash. Nintendo won't waste their time and money on getting the rights to him.

This makes no sense due to the fact that there have been several third parties throughout Smash's history. (In fact I remember people saying that Megaman wouldn't get in for the same reason, but look what happened...) It is true that Masahiro Sakurai has told everyone not to expect too many third-parties, but it is also true that both Megaman and Ryu are in Smash 4 right now, which shows us that it is possible not only for a company to have more than one third-party character on the roster but also that Nintendo is more lenient on the subject than we were led to believe. And considering the fact that the Smash Ballot is open for all video game characters regardless of who owns them, it's clear that third-party status is not a hurdle for a character to get in, provided of course that that's what the companies want.

Which of course brings us to the next point. Eventually, either Square Enix or Nintendo will approach the other about getting content in Smash because of the relationship Square Enix and Nintendo have had in the past and now. Many, many famous Square Enix games got their start on the NES and SNES, and although Square Enix releases their games primarily on Microsoft and Sony consoles these days, the two companies are working together again. There's no reason to think that we won't eventually see a Square character in a Smash game.

Who that Square character would be is largely a matter of speculation at this point so it is impossible to say definitively whether Geno would make it in either way. I go into detail in the above questions as to why Geno is more deserving than most Square contenders, but as we've seen with the Ryu DLC announcement, it's entirely possible for a company to have more than one of their characters in the game, and given how popular and highly requested Geno has been over the years, I posit that we will see Geno + another prominent Square character, probably one of those used in Mario Sports Mix. It is just as fair to believe that much as it is to believe Geno wouldn't make it in, because we simply don't know at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'm gonna elaborate on the last paragraph some) Now that I think about it, there were people who argued that these game dev companies are making back-room deals with Nintendo to get the characters they want in. Specifically I remember people arguing that Capcom would make a deal with Nintendo where they'd let Nintendo use Megaman if they allowed another Capcom character to get in. I'd bet dollars to donuts that'd happen if Square-Enix was ever approached by Nintendo regarding Smash. It makes sense to think that Nintendo would ask them to use Geno and Square-Enix would agree if they threw in a FF character of some sort.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I posit that we will see Geno + another prominent Square character, probably one of those used in Mario Sports Mix.
it makes alot of sense to have at least 2 Square Enix character rather than 1 because of the history.

: adding him because he can represent the Mario RPGs seires and the relationship and the link between Nintendo and Square and from the game that started their relationship, and also he is most requested Square character since brawl and have big fanbase to this day so he is a kind of character that could create huge hype.

: adding him because he can represent what Square is about, and Final Fantasy is the video game king of RPGs and has more than 70 games and he is extremely popular and iconic in Square history also met Mario twice wich make more sense to be the choosen one from Final Fantasy seires.

to be honest i can't see Sakurai goes to Square Enix only to ask for 1 character because the history is too big.

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
it makes alot of sense to have at least 2 Square Enix character rather than 1 because of the history.

: adding him because he can represent the Mario RPGs seires and the relationship and the link between Nintendo and Square and from the game that started their relationship, and also he is most requested Square character since brawl and have big fanbase to this day so he is a kind of character that could create huge hype.

: adding him because he can represent what Square is about, and Final Fantasy is the video game king of RPGs and has more than 70 games and he is extremely popular and iconic in Square history also met Mario twice wich make more sense to be the choosen one from Final Fantasy seires.

to be honest i can't see Sakurai goes to Square Enix only to ask for 1 character because the history is too big.
Geno is sill my number one pickbutblack mage is cool too I guess

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Geno is sill my number one pickbutblack mage is cool too I guess
Personally I'd prefer Geno as well because I'd like to see more fan favorites make the roster as opposed to company mascots. But the Black Mage thing is just from my speculation above, it's not meant to express a preference. Black Mage would provide only some of the benefits adding Geno to the roster would without really making the majority happy. I know Black Mage has his fanbase but I posit that, despite the movement falling apart after Brawl, Geno's still the most wanted Square character even if the majority of his fans stay silent now. I wish there was some way I could test that hypothesis, or that we could find the lost Geno fans.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I miss the lost Geno fans.
yeah... in brawl days there were alot of creative Geno fans look at this for example http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333390 and the Geno brawl thread was kicking all other characters thread we really need them back i hope they didnt really move on from Geno and its sad to see Geno getting alot of haters on smashboads :urg:
but we could bring more Geno fans from Tumblr and Devinart.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
It has a 100% chance of being fake.

Sorry fellahs :(

EDIT: While Chris was fired, he would never say vile things in a 4chan thread like that. He's very ashamed of himself right now and feels a lot of remorse about being fired.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I wouldn't trust 4chan as far as I could throw them.

EDIT: I'd also like to call a moratorium on people posting very obviously fake leaks like this. I know we all very much want to see Geno in Smash but if we grasp at straws like that we risk not only falling prey to trolls but becoming so desperate and deluded that it will drive people away from joining the community. I really don't want to see that happen. I don't mean to sound mean, accusatory or anything by saying that; I would rather the community keep a good hold on reasonability so it doesn't fall into the traps it did during the Brawl days and end up imploding in on itself again.

Last edited:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
{11 KB JPG
Former Nintendo of America employee here, leaking Smash DLC Chris Pranger 08/13/15(Thu)20:42:16 No.306368704
▶
>>306369514 >>306370035 >>306371559 >>306371713 >>306371802 >>306372580 >>306373165 >>306375095 >>306377547
Hi I'm Chris Pranger from Nintendo of America. Or formerly, as I was fired for saying some things that upset the dumb****s at the Japanese Nintendo. So as payback, I'm going to leak the remainder of the Smash DLC.

Characters:
K. Rool (likely)
Wolf (likely)
Ridley (unlikely)
Shantae (likely)
Snake (not really likely)
Geno (likely)

Stages:
Great Bay(likely)
Fourside (likely)
Saffron City (unlikely)
Shadow Moses(unlikely)}

[I really want Great Bay one of my faves from melee I feel like snake will not comeback ]

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
Yo guys i voted for Geno a few months back and i wanted to let you guys know that you have my support.

NateCurtis(NJC)

Smash Apprentice
Apparently Geno is confirmed here.
this could be fake since there is a geno hack over :4rob: and it works with project m,but that's what they did for mewtwo in project m,let me explain if anyone dose'nt know,So in brawl vault there was this person who made a mewtwo hack over lucario and was probably the best mewtwo hack ever and so I guess the P.M team used that mewtwo hack for project m but they made him look like he was actually in brawl and same goes for roy but he's over marth.So I guess there making geno over r.o.b in project m.SO HYPED :grin:

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys i voted for Geno a few months back and i wanted to let you guys know that you have my support.
thank you for being a3esome and letting us know
I LOVE U MAN:grin:

Also I forgot to mention that I got my first amiibo(:4mario:) yesterday:grin:
I also got my first one but its bowser ( :4bowser:) but I want :4ganondorf::4falcon::4sheik::4link::4feroy:maybe :4robinm:and Geno XD
Apparently Geno is confirmed here.
I laughed soo hard at this lol its really funny XD

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I miss the lost Geno fans.
They're not really lost as much as they have just simply moved on. For those of us who had SMRPG as a big part of our childhoods, we're edging close to 30 now (I'm 27, for example) and a lot of people just really don't have the time to be involved in this sort of thing anymore. They probably still like Geno but they're more likely too invested in day to day responsibilities to care that much about it anymore.

Andyomon00

Smash Apprentice
NNID
andtomon00
3DS FC
0301-9874-0642
They're not really lost as much as they have just simply moved on. For those of us who had SMRPG as a big part of our childhoods, we're edging close to 30 now (I'm 27, for example) and a lot of people just really don't have the time to be involved in this sort of thing anymore. They probably still like Geno but they're more likely too invested in day to day responsibilities to care that much about it anymore.
What about younger people who learned about SMRPG through various personalities on the web. For example I'm 18 and never played Super Mario Rpg until a few months ago, but because of youtubers recommending the game, I played the game and became a fan of Geno.

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
What about younger people who learned about SMRPG through various personalities on the web. For example I'm 18 and never played Super Mario Rpg until a few months ago, but because of youtubers recommending the game, I played the game and became a fan of Geno.
yea im 19 and I first played super Mario rpg later but when I was in the hospital and I saw chuggaaconroy play it x3
Yo guys! I'm making an RPG game mainly featuring Geno in it!
Soon I'll release a demo in Gamejolt! :kirby:
I cant wait :D I wanna play

Last edited:

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
XD I had a funny idea. So just toy with it, because it was meant to bring a smile.
What if Geno only had 2 Specials when in battle. Just Geno Whirl, and Red Star Charge over Neutral B.

Up/Down/Side-B would be Geno Whirl. It would have tremendous push back when used (like Mewtwo's Shadow Ball throwing his momentum in strong reverse but stronger than that! Push.wahoo! The move could also have a bit of start-up and cool-down frames so it has appropriate balance. Frame Perfect timed hit also for balance. Or even consider that if used in the air, leaves you vulnerable until back on stage.

Star Charge for Neutral-B. Extra jumps (including the double jump cost a Star.) So 4 jumps max when jumping from stage, 1 jump minimum when no charge. Down B would have enough push back to give you a good leap also, so it's kinda like a jump but doesn't gives about the same air-time.

Final Smash detail- firing from the front of the screen like Zss or Dragoon Parts.

Top Bottom