• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

M.K

Level 55
We don't watch enough major competitions?
WTF? Don't generalize based on one person's stupidity. Time wasting is involved in so many ****ing sports it's ridiculous to say that it's only in soccer.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Uruguay won the first two world cups, and America was a faaar different place in the 30s. Plus, the pool for the first world cup was tiny.

Second of all, America's world cup qualification is not really that much of a challenge, I mean, OH NO HONDURAS AND CANADA.

Yes, I know, I was just trying to make a point that they at one point were a "worthy" team. I don't care for the U.S. team myself, I grew up in Mexico so that was sacrilegious, but they are better than given credit for.

The American qualifying group (concacaf) covers central and north america, and the caribbean. The biggest 'worry' for the U.S. in qualifying is Mexico, not Canada or Honduras.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Major football, no.

You may tune into World Cup, but do you watch Champ League, La Liga, Serie A, Copa Del Rey, Copa Italia, The Premiership, FA Cup, Euro, Cup of Nations etc etc.

MLS doesn't count.

Edit: But yeah zrky Mexico going through is a given since they're very good, so those are the other teams they need to beat to guarantee qualifying since Mexico they'll obviously lose to.

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
You're just mad because your country is out lolololol
Whatever. I was asking for opinions- not for you to make a jerk comment like that. It doesn't matter to me. USA got eliminated today because they weren't good enough and I had a feeling they would.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Whatever. I was asking for opinions- not for you to make a jerk comment like that. It doesn't matter to me. USA got eliminated today because they weren't good enough and I had a feeling they would.
Oh here's my opinion.

Ghana didn't play foul, they played like they should.

In a sense, it's just like brawl tournaments. Wouldn't you stall your opponent out for dat $$?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
They need to clone Landon Donovan and play 10 of him on the field.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Donovan is a gem for the USA and if people emulated him then I'd probably like USA's team somewhat.

Also coach Bradley looks like he's in the KKK.

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
USA has to work on defense. They commit too much errors.
I was so mad. Ghana always managed to easily get around USA's defense on the outside. Their defense seemed to suck into the middle. This happened over and over again and it was extremely frustrating to watch :ohwell:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Most teams have crappy defences tbh.

It's because when everyone plays football in their formative years, they all want to be strikers. The instinct for defence is drilled into players too late I feel.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Major football, no.

You may tune into World Cup, but do you watch Champ League, La Liga, Serie A, Copa Del Rey, Copa Italia, The Premiership, FA Cup, Euro, Cup of Nations etc etc.

MLS doesn't count.

I don't care for club football so I don't really watch it. I prefer international, mostly because I feel that in clubs it can be very one sided since one team may have many bad players (relatively) and the other all the relatively good players.

And if anyone *****es about Ghana beating the U.S., your stupid because the U.S. played like a group not a team, Ghana had a team.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I have lol'd constantly at the amount of people in this thread who say they didn't care about their team/wanted them to lose anyway. I feel like i'm in the minority in actually wanting my nation to win, and i know exactly how gutted i would be if they were to not win this thing. People need to be more patriotic!!!

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't care for club football so I don't really watch it. I prefer international, mostly because I feel that in clubs it can be very one sided since one team may have many bad players (relatively) and the other all the relatively good players.
International is oftentime vastly more skewed than club football in terms of teams with big names.

Besides, each league has at least 4-5 top class teams, and the Champion's League is the cream of Europe's crop so...

I have lol'd constantly at the amount of people in this thread who say they didn't care about their team/wanted them to lose anyway. I feel like i'm in the minority in actually wanting my nation to win, and i know exactly how gutted i would be if they were to not win this thing. People need to be more patriotic!!!
Lol dude... getting behind England is nothing but overhype and hearbreak.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Yea, the World Cup is pretty lob-sided.

Hey, there's Brazil, Argentina, Germany, (France), (Italy), (England), The Netherlands, Portugal and a few I'm forgetting

Some of these haven't shown any good football this cup, but I remember many cups where it was these countries dominating.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The roof blew off my house when Iran owned America in 98.

**** was cash.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
That pretty much equals not having seen major competition.

:059:
Copa America and the Euro Cup are major competitions, and I do enjoy those. Just because it's not a club competition doesn't disqualify it as a non-major tournament (excluding world cup).

And teran, yes I realize internationals can be very skewed but the teams are well-rounded for the country they represent, that's what attracts me to it more than clubs.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The problem with international football is the massive chance of underperforming and sloppy play down to the fact that they players don't have enough time together.

Club football is the most solid game for sure, although international destroys it when it comes to levels of passion which is why I prefer it. :p

zrky

Smash Lol'd
The best thing about the levels of passion is that they can be both of hate (*cough*Italy*cough*) and of pure support for your favorite team.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I dunno, I remember in 98 when England fans actually murdered some German ones.

So typical.

Jane

Smash Hero
World cup is just awesome because there is NO other team sport that the entire world could agree to play against each other. Football/soccer is the one global (team) sport, and that is truely an amazing thing :)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
World cup is just awesome because there is NO other team sport that the entire world could agree to play against each other. Football/soccer is the one global (team) sport, and that is truely an amazing thing :)
Rugby is also a global sport, well somewhat... although not as popular for sure.

If I remember reading correctly, the last world cup got a total of 16 billion views, which is way more than any other sporting event could ever dream of matching.

Side comment: Mexico better beat Argentina and not let Messi score tomorrow!:mad:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Need those krauts to get owned.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Argentina is pretty much going to destroy Mexico like every other time before that. I'm worried about Germany though, they took out my Argies before :( But we got this this time baby.

VAMOS ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!!

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It's not "destroy like every time before that", last WC they went pretty even, and if Mexico play at their top level, they're capable to win.

VAMOS MEXICO!!!!!!

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I disagree.
The US had multiple, multiple opportunities to score in the late game. They had so many corner kicks to the center that it was appalling how many they didn't even touch.
The Ghana players were able to swat the ball away very easily and it was annoying to watch the US struggle so hard.

Stop letting your nationalism get in the way of facts, roacherman. You're being incredibly naive, and nobody will take you seriously. I live in the US too and watched all 120 minutes, and I believe they still deserved to lose.
Hold on a sec, I don't even want the US to win this world cup. My nationality has nothing to do with this. I honestly believe after watching this game that they DID deserve to win it, and the fact that the ref didn't call that many fouls is appalling to me

zrky

Smash Lol'd
It's not "destroy like every time before that", last WC they went pretty even, and if Mexico play at their top level, they're capable to win.

VAMOS MEXICO!!!!!!
This. And also, last WC they would have tied if Mexico hadn't had it's accidental own-goal from the Argentinian corner kick :ohwell:

Hold on a sec, I don't even want the US to win this world cup. My nationality has nothing to do with this. I honestly believe after watching this game that they DID deserve to win it, and the fact that the ref didn't call that many fouls is appalling to me
The U.S. didn't deserve to win with how horribly they played. The ref was very good, he did a good job, imo, the U.S. should have had more fouls called on them since they started being "tripped" not the other way around.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Eh watching the second half, USA did have a lot of opportunities and I feel played better. Just couldn't get that goal.

ARGENTINA!!

Top Bottom