• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FIFA World Cup 2010

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
I was actually surprised. The Brazil-Portugal game was a bit boring this morning. I'm looking forward to the Chile-Spain game and especially the USA-Ghana game tomorrow.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
chile vs spain is going to be fun. Brazil-Portugal wasn't all too exciting.

N.Korea gets 3-0'd by Ivory Coast.....poor guys. They're definitely as good as dead now :/ I wonder if Brazil was just sandbagging or if they intentionally just led N.Korea into a false sense of security hahaha. Their defense was so good against Brazil...but since then, they've been leaving their goalie wide open every time =.=

D

Deleted member

Spain's first goal was crazy! The ball curved like a motherf***er!

-Atlus

Edit - Torres is such a f***en baby! I hate players that exaggerate a little trip!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
lol la niña Torres.

2-0 for Spain so far. IF Chile scores one more I'll have the score for this. XD

EDIT: lol looks like I have the score now.

M.K

Level 55
So, being that I have absolutely no idea what the etiquette of soccer is....

When do you blame the goalie, and when do you blame the players for a goal scored against them? Honestly, I really feel bad for the goalies because alot of people automatically assume it's their fault for not blocking the ball. However, you have to blame the players somewhat for allowing the attackers to get close enough to score.

How do you know who to blame?

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice

When do you blame the goalie, and when do you blame the players for a goal scored against them? Honestly, I really feel bad for the goalies because alot of people automatically assume it's their fault for not blocking the ball. However, you have to blame the players somewhat for allowing the attackers to get close enough to score.

Hmm I always wonder that too. That is just something you base situation by situation I guess. If defenders aren't covering guys and the attacking team manages to cross it over and pop it into the net no problem, then absolutely no blame on the keeper. But if it was a situation like Green on England's team where you fumble the ball, then that was a silly mistake for a keeper and should've been an easy stop.

Really, keepers get blamed for defenders' mistakes too much.

Round 2 starts tomorrow!

Tamoo

Smash Master
slhoka: Is this the result after 90 mins?
ie. does it take into account extra time and penalties etc?

Also, I def get the impression that at least some of my scores have been submitted as dates looking at the submitted scores, if this is so, should i resubmit my scores or will you work it out from the date? From what i can tell, the day is the first team's score, and the month is the second teams score.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer

Depends on the context. As you watch, you learn to figure out who should have done what, what a good formation or good play is versus a bad one, etc.
Having played the game for a few years also helps!

Uncle Meat

Smash Champion
Most shots on goals will result from attackers picking holes in the defense. You only really blame the keeper when the miss an easy save or are out of position or make a stupid Rob Green blunder.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Rule #1: Don't call it soccer.

Also, it's usually the defence's fault. The goalie is pretty much screwed in a one on one situation.

The goalie is pretty much screwed when they're at a decent angle towards the goal in the penalty area. Things like positioning help, but at the end of the day, even cat reflexes can't help you stop a blistering shot.

Like even some long shots have so much pace and swerve that a goalie has no chance.

Basically unless he does something ********, it's not his fault.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Most shots on goals will result from attackers picking holes in the defense. You only really blame the keeper when the miss an easy save or are out of position or make a stupid Rob Green blunder.
Or you can also blame the goalie when they do something like what the Chilean did....

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
the USA showed a lot of heart. It wud be cool to see them go far. But then again, the USA own at everything. Y cant they leave soccer alone?

Vibe219

Smash Apprentice
USA vs Ghana tomorrow!! I feel like USA should be able to win, but there is so much proof that this World Cup is extremely unpredictable. So who knows....

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
USA should be able to win, I mean it's only Ghana, mrite?

I want to see some penalty shootouts! Sure it's kinda a dodgy way to determine a winner, but they're tense and exciting as he|l :bee:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
USA should be able to win, I mean it's only Ghana, mrite?

I want to see some penalty shootouts! Sure it's kinda a dodgy way to determine a winner, but they're tense and exciting as he|l :bee:
I'd rather watch 90 exciting minutes than to wait for 120 boring minutes just to see 15 exciting minutes.

:059:

Mota

I'd rather watch 90 exciting minutes than to wait for 120 boring minutes just to see 15 exciting minutes.

:059:
Well how about 90 minutes of excitement, in which there are goals scored resulting in a 3-3 draw,
followed by another 30mins which aren't as exciting but still hype,
then a fun-filled penalty shootout with all the fixtures? Hows that sound? ;)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Come oooooon Ghana.

Also Mota, judging by the matches so far, 0-0 seems more likely lol.

Mota

Hahaha true, 3-3 might just be a little too hopeful, 1-1 maybe :p

Rooting for South Korea and USA tonight!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Slhoka I can't remember if I entered my predictions so I may have entered twice lol. Please take my second group of predictions.

and here's a possible way of solving extra time and penalties dilemma.

Extra time

If you think it will be a draw after 90 minutes and think the game will go to extra time insert your prediction for the full time score, followed by the extra time score in brackets. So if you think the Uruguay - South Korea game will finish 1 - 1 after 90 minutes and Uruguay will win 2 - 1 in extra time, you would write 1 - 1 (2-1).

Penalties

If you think it will go to penalties you would write 1 - 1 (1-1) P and the name of the team you would think would win. So if you think the Uruguay - South Korea game will finish 1 - 1 after 90 minutes and remain the same after extra time but Uruguay win on penalties, you would write 1 - 1 (1-1) P Uruguay.

-

So many empty seats at the Uruguay Korea game. Pitch is horrible. It's like watching Wigan vs Hull.

Great start to the game.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i just sent in my predictions for today's games

i'll do the rest later today

Top Bottom