• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fancy Smash in Naperville, IL *UPDATED* July, 12th

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I hope people didn't take what I said as being mean or saying no one gives Brawl a shot...what I said just makes sense to me, maybe I'm wrong though.

I still don't know for sure if I can make this but, I'll let you know when I find out

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
As far as set ups go:

Everyone should be bringing their own controllers. This is pretty standard.
Wiis of course are needed. Also, if people can bring copies of the game that'd be great.
I hope hope hope all the characters are unlocked on your games. If not, pleassse do so!

TV:
Big enough for doubles. I don't need huge but 4 people need to be able to play on it at once. (This isn't a huge requirement).

Thanks!

-Zec

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
I can bring a Wii and a copy of the game with all stages and characters but I can't bring a T.V.

Mars-

Smash Champion
As far as set ups go:

Everyone should be bringing their own controllers. This is pretty standard.
Wiis of course are needed. Also, if people can bring copies of the game that'd be great.
I hope hope hope all the characters are unlocked on your games. If not, pleassse do so!

TV:
Big enough for doubles. I don't need huge but 4 people need to be able to play on it at once. (This isn't a huge requirement).

Thanks!

-Zec
What? Thats outragous, you actually expect people to not only have their own controller, but bring it too?

Ohh you can confirm me, I'll bring a setup, but my tv is 13" hope you don't mind. I will also be recording.

EDIT: Are you having a melee tourny afterwords? Cause I just read that you only have brawl listed for tournys, I don't feel like recording brawl matches lol.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
What? Thats outragous, you actually expect people to not only have their own controller, but bring it too?

Ohh you can confirm me, I'll bring a setup, but my tv is 13" hope you don't mind. I will also be recording.

EDIT: Are you having a melee tourny afterwords? Cause I just read that you only have brawl listed for tournys, I don't feel like recording brawl matches lol.
There is not enough time to do melee and brawl.

Brawl this month. Melee Next month.

AFTER THE TOURNY I'M SURE WE CAN STILL HAVE A SMALL GROUP COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND PLAY SOME MELEE. I CAN'T BRING TOO MANY THOUGH!

-Zec

dj asakura

Smash Ace
So my work schedule never got changed meaning I can't make it until at the earliest 6-ish.

So I'd say count me out, sorry

Davrob1

Smash Cadet
"Match Time Limit: 5 minutes. Sudden death is ON for same amount of stock left."

anyone notice the unorthodox rules here?
this will be interesting

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
"Match Time Limit: 5 minutes. Sudden death is ON for same amount of stock left."

anyone notice the unorthodox rules here?
this will be interesting
Yup. I was hoping someone would ask about it.

I know brawl can get pretty campy. That's basically the biggest complaint about the game.
Forcing matches to stay under 5 minutes means you gotta actually fight a little more. Also, with sudden death ON you'll once again not be able to camp out if you are winning by a percent or two. If you want to win it without chancing things in sudden death you gotta fight.

If someone is caught stalling on an edge to force a sudden death b/c their % is higher I'll quickly give the victory to the other person.

The name of the game is FIGHT. You can camp out some but it's not gonna give you the win with a 5 minute limit.

There's time to debate me to change it but put up a good argument or.. just go for the ride and see if this works out :)

-Zec

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Oh **** gg, Zec. No excuse for me not to be there.

Unless I'm out of town then, I'm not sure. That'd suck hard.

Edit: **** it, I am out of town then unless I somehow worm my way out of it.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman

I know brawl can get pretty campy. That's basically the biggest complaint about the game.
Forcing matches to stay under 5 minutes means you gotta actually fight a little more. Also, with sudden death ON you'll once again not be able to camp out if you are winning by a percent or two. If you want to win it without chancing things in sudden death you gotta fight.

If someone is caught stalling on an edge to force a sudden death b/c their % is higher I'll quickly give the victory to the other person.

The name of the game is FIGHT. You can camp out some but it's not gonna give you the win with a 5 minute limit.

There's time to debate me to change it but put up a good argument or.. just go for the ride and see if this works out :)

-Zec
That does make a lot of sense. Although it will be a little hard to fit a full match within 5 minutes even without camping. But overall I like this idea.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
That does make a lot of sense. Although it will be a little hard to fit a full match within 5 minutes even without camping. But overall I like this idea.
Well... I find with 3 stock if both people are just going at it the whole time takes about 3-3:30... so 5 gives some room for camping. Just not much :)

-Zec

BIG C

Smash Master
dude man i'd say go with at least 6 minutes. like seriously I have friendlies with ppl that last 5 mins like snake vs ddd, bowser, rob, wario any of those 5 chars fighting each other automatically warrants a 5 min match just because the chars don't die til like 150-200% percent each stock. w/o combo's or cheap out's happening all the time stocks in general take 1-2 mins a piece unless you can get a kill in with like snake or DDD or something before a 100 percent it happens sometimes. if it weren't for the heavys I dun think there would be a problem but you can't just ban 5 chars because they survive longer.

also, camping is sooo gonna happen you can't just DQ someone for doing it. ledge stalling can be stopped you just gotta man up and risk that stock if you wanna stop it. which doesn't work out too well in brawl so ppl just camp back. also if 5 mins. stays on i predict many SSD matches. an idea to make the tourny faster than SSD matches all day would be fux with the damage ratio but no one would like that.

and furthermore who are you to tell ppl how to play the game?

btw half of that is me talking and the other half is just me playing the antagonist of what I figure what ppl against it would say. but then i really dun care cuz i dun play brawl singles cuz they be mad janky.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
dude man i'd say go with at least 6 minutes. like seriously I have friendlies with ppl that last 5 mins like snake vs ddd, bowser, rob, wario any of those 5 chars fighting each other automatically warrants a 5 min match just because the chars don't die til like 150-200% percent each stock. w/o combo's or cheap out's happening all the time stocks in general take 1-2 mins a piece unless you can get a kill in with like snake or DDD or something before a 100 percent it happens sometimes. if it weren't for the heavys I dun think there would be a problem but you can't just ban 5 chars because they survive longer.

also, camping is sooo gonna happen you can't just DQ someone for doing it. ledge stalling can be stopped you just gotta man up and risk that stock if you wanna stop it. which doesn't work out too well in brawl so ppl just camp back. also if 5 mins. stays on i predict many SSD matches. an idea to make the tourny faster than SSD matches all day would be fux with the damage ratio but no one would like that.

and furthermore who are you to tell ppl how to play the game?

btw half of that is me talking and the other half is just me playing the antagonist of what I figure what ppl against it would say. but then i really dun care cuz i dun play brawl singles cuz they be mad janky.
hmm okay, some good points...

I'll adress them one at a time...
First off.. I'm not banning any character. You're simply running a higher chance of taking up the entire time limit if you pick a heavier character. Camping won't happen as much if we have a shorter time span. Simple enough. Am I telling people they can't camp? No... 5-6 minutes is more than enough time to get yourself some sort of lead by camping and then fighting the rest of the match.

Second,

We're always telling people what they can and cannot do when we make rules for games/sports etc... In this case... I'm simply lighting the fire under the *** of people who play by saying "move it". You can still camp though....I played like 10 matches last night and every one of them was under 4 minutes cept for one goofy one which ran for like 4:40. How can you say "lots of matches" will go to sudden death. If that's the case then you risk losing the match to something random... NO ONE WANTS THAT... so go fight. dayyyymmmmm.

Ledge Stalling excessivly is ridiculous. I won't allow it. I think we can all agree that brawls engine doesn't allow for people to punish each other as easily as in Melee. Because of that things like ledge stalling must be self regulated. I guess for the same reasons that camping is somewhat being regulated (by the clock).

I don't mind moving this to 6 minutes...I think that's a little much for what I'm trying to do but I'd like to hear feed back from a few others first.

-Zec

BIG C

Smash Master
hmm okay, some good points...

I'll adress them one at a time...
First off.. I'm not banning any character. You're simply running a higher chance of taking up the entire time limit if you pick a heavier character. Camping won't happen as much if we have a shorter time span. Simple enough. Am I telling people they can't camp? No... 5-6 minutes is more than enough time to get yourself some sort of lead by camping and then fighting the rest of the match.

Second,

We're always telling people what they can and cannot do when we make rules for games/sports etc... In this case... I'm simply lighting the fire under the *** of people who play by saying "move it". You can still camp though....I played like 10 matches last night and every one of them was under 4 minutes cept for one goofy one which ran for like 4:40. How can you say "lots of matches" will go to sudden death. If that's the case then you risk losing the match to something random... NO ONE WANTS THAT... so go fight. dayyyymmmmm.

Ledge Stalling excessivly is ridiculous. I won't allow it. I think we can all agree that brawls engine doesn't allow for people to punish each other as easily as in Melee. Because of that things like ledge stalling must be self regulated. I guess for the same reasons that camping is somewhat being regulated (by the clock).

I don't mind moving this to 6 minutes...I think that's a little much for what I'm trying to do but I'd like to hear feed back from a few others first.

-Zec
well me and tink playing like wario and rob or wario and snake where we don't camp at all can take 5 minutes and up just because the chars are hard to kill.

I say that many matches will go to SSD because out of the tournaments I have been to with 7-8 mins time limits on there have been matches that go to sudden death so with 2-3 less minutes on the clock the chance is much more likely. Seriously tourny matches take at least a min. or 2 longer than friendlies with people just because people are playing to win.

pure example the time limit at an early IN tourny that cosmo and OS were at the time limit was 6 mins it took 5 mins. for one of them to go down one stock.

chun1

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i'm not so sure that less time will help. dirty mofo's will do anything to win. two matches going to sudden death would make the set last fooorreeevver. more sudden death matches might make the tourny longer.

still, we should try it i guess and see how it works. i'm up for anything that makes camping less relevant.

i say we play only on battle field, add smashballs, and make it 2 stock, which basically turns the game into street fighter.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
a shorter time limit would encourage more camping, as it would be easier to run the clock out. not to mention this is brawl and if youre not camping at least a little bit youre probably losing anyway

BIG C

Smash Master

-Zec

also, as for awarding a win if someone is ledge stalling doesn't work because if the person is ledge stalling and throwing attacks out (like OS's ROB back in the day) and the other person is just trying to avoid all those attacks and not attempting to attack the other person, they technically are camping/stalling as well, just not on a ledge.

playdan

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend plan to show up to this, do you still need a t.v's? cause if you do i can bring one atleast

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
I also want to add that this game...

so soooooooooooooooooooo new.

How are any of you experts on it? I mean...really--no one knows what works yet. What the best tourny format is. No one does.

I'm trying something out. If it doesn't work OR we find that it ISN'T working then we can change it.
It seriously takes someone to try something new to ever evolve the game. Brawl isn't as good as melee--we know this--so we need to figure out ways to make it more interesting and I think this might do it.

-Zec

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
3-stock *5* minute time limit? In my opinion, that seems too short; I would prefer the usual 7 min time limit.
Once again.. "SEEMS" too short does not necessarily make it too short.

You would prefer it cuz you're used to it.

Let's just try this out?! I mean, if every match i see is going to Sudden Death I'll be forced to change the rules during the tourny.

-Zec

BIG C

Smash Master
I also want to add that this game...

so soooooooooooooooooooo new.

How are any of you experts on it? I mean...really--no one knows what works yet. What the best tourny format is. No one does.

I'm trying something out. If it doesn't work OR we find that it ISN'T working then we can change it.
It seriously takes someone to try something new to ever evolve the game. Brawl isn't as good as melee--we know this--so we need to figure out ways to make it more interesting and I think this might do it.

-Zec
You know what you are right, none of us are experts but, some of us have been to multiple tournaments for the game all with a 7 or 8 minute time limit. At these tournaments there have been at minimum one or 2 Super Sudden Death matches in the tournament or at least close to going to SSD. With this as a basis, we can say that 5 minutes will more than likely not be enough time.

My basis, on the other hand, is just Tink's and my friendlies of when he plays Wario and I play let's say R.O.B or Snake it will sometimes last for 5 minutes or more just because of the fact that we won't die from each other until like 180%+. Those heavy characters are quite popular as well Snake,DDD, and ROB are all popular characters used by people.

So in conclusion, yes you are right none of us know, but at least we have a basis for our assumption.

Me14k

Smash Lord
If I bring my own TV, cube, and melee--could it be exclusively for melee friendlies?

..id still partake in brawl tourney..

metroid1117

Smash Master
Oops, I forgot to confirm that I can go. Anyways, I can bring my own copy of Brawl, a Wii, and a TV. I'll also be bringing Me14k and possibly two others.

Top Bottom