• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fancy Smash in Naperville, IL *UPDATED* July, 12th

dj asakura

Smash Ace
At the same time it seems like the kids (and i use "kids" lightly) that played melee for those....6 years was it? Are far less willing then us (the newer gen are) to play brawl on a major league level.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, melee was, is and always will be an amazing game but I think that Brawl has its place in serious gaming. I'm willing to say I'm part of the Brawl generation (got into melee about a year before brawl released so I missed it really...)

Again, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other but i think Brawl will find its place, Americans just need to stop playing as campy as they do ^_^

EDIT: I feel this is important to add. Zjinn brought up a great point, there is a difference between playing for money and playing for the love of the game. Honestly, if I had been a pro melee player or serious melee player since the game came out and developed my skills as the metagame itself was developed I would feel MUCH differently about Brawl I'm sure. It's a generation thing I think, there will be Melee still for sure, but Brawl will have its own following and its own set of devoted players like Melee did

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
dj asakura said:
Again, I'm not trying to say one is better than the other but i think Brawl will find its place, Americans just need to stop playing as campy as they do ^_^
Americans play to win, and when we play to win we will do whatever it takes to win and in Brawls case that's camping like a mofo. It will forever remain a solid strategy for the duration of Brawls life. Elements of the game that have been taken out make it almost impossible to bypass the campy-ness of the game. This is not a way to make you guys play Melee, I'm just letting you guys know why Brawl is a boring as game on a high level of playing that you guys are nowhere near yet and which is why you guys still think this game is enjoyable and fun to play.

Anyways, whatever Adam just let me know when you do a tournament, a Melee tournament I'll most definitely be there. Not worth a bus ride up to Naperville for a Brawl tournament even if we do an all nighter of Melee like we usually do. I'd much rather whoop your butt in a real game lolz.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
At the same time it seems like the kids (and i use "kids" lightly) that played melee for those....6 years was it? Are far less willing then us (the newer gen are) to play brawl on a major league level.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, melee was, is and always will be an amazing game but I think that Brawl has its place in serious gaming. I'm willing to say I'm part of the Brawl generation (got into melee about a year before brawl released so I missed it really...)

EDIT: I feel this is important to add. Zjinn brought up a great point, there is a difference between playing for money and playing for the love of the game. Honestly, if I had been a pro melee player or serious melee player since the game came out and developed my skills as the metagame itself was developed I would feel MUCH differently about Brawl I'm sure. It's a generation thing I think, there will be Melee still for sure, but Brawl will have its own following and its own set of devoted players like Melee did
That makes a lot of sense. But back on topic, is there a date yet?

Me14k

Smash Lord
Hey I'm looking for somebody to play 2v2 vs my friend and I in Smash 64 for money. If anybodys interested hit me up.
What suburb are you in?

-----Guys. Stop arguing brawl vs melee. If you want to play competitive smash-play melee. If you want a game where you can just pick up and play, play brawl.

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
the 12 or th 19th?!

What should I pick?

It'll be from 11:00 to 6:30...

150$ for the room... so I need at least 16 people to show up!?

Can we get that???????????????!

-Zec

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Guys. Stop arguing brawl vs melee. If you want to play competitive smash-play melee. If you want a game where you can just pick up and play, play brawl.
I'm not going to argue anything anymore but making a statement like that after saying don't argue is basically begging for an argument to start, just saying.

Anyway, Adam when you get a date I'll let you know, I shouldn't be working Saturday's by then so I should be able to come

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I'm okay with the 12th. If we charge $15 for entry that should pay off the venue fee and allow for a decent sized prize money. I can guarantee 2 people (including myself), although I may be able to bring as any as 5 (including me). If a lot of people come, then It shouldn't be a problem to reduce the fee.

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm down either day, should be able to make it no prob since I live in Naperville, and need to start playing against some actual good people, just gotta request the day off work when its decided

Kirk

Smash Champion
I'm out of town on the 12th going to another tourney xD

So I'd prefer the 19th...but don't let your decision be swayed by just me :D

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who want to play a game that takes skill to be good at, i'm holding weeklies again! Check it out, Illinois.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97484

Damien...I don't know if you have the merit to talk about how much more skill melee takes than brawl. Aren't you better off in a brawl tourny? I hear you're pretty good with Snake. Just forget melee for sake of doing well in a tourny :)

Also, my tourny isn't exclusivly brawl every month. Just this first month.

-Zec

ps. what a shameless advertisement.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Damien...I don't know if you have the merit to talk about how much more skill melee takes than brawl. Aren't you better off in a brawl tourny? I hear you're pretty good with Snake. Just forget melee for sake of doing well in a tourny :)
I know you haven't been to a brawl tourney yet, but i gotta tell you, you're in for a dissapointment. (talk to any of the good melee guys) Brawl is boring to most of us, and yeah, i can win tourneys in Brawl, so that goes to show you the validity of my statement. It's more like a job than a hobby. That was alright for a while, but...bah.

I'd rather struggle and suck at a fun and exciting game, than be awesome at a crappy game. (just my opinion, so the scrublets can calm down)

kirkq

Smash Ace
Dude, I'll try to make it to this. Everyone money match me.

For those of you who want to play a game that takes skill to be good at, i'm holding weeklies again! Check it out, Illinois.
If by "skill" you meant "only tech skill" then I agree.

Seriously everyone gets that you hate brawl, stop johnning about it.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Seriously everyone gets that you hate brawl, stop johnning about it.
I don't hate Brawl. It's just not that great.

(i'm not going to destroy this thread by listing why, but I was probably more about Brawl in the beginning than most people are now.)

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Zjinn, I understand you're stance on Brawl I really do. It's much slower and played much differently than Melee, it still takes skill though, its just that the gap between skill levels isn't as large this time around. But that also doesn't mean you shouldn't support it.

Iunno, I've just been playing a lot of MLG Shooters lately (Halo and Gears) and after posting a lot on the MLG forums it's sad how much hate there can be between two game communities. I just don't want something like that to happen to Melee and Brawl ya know?

But the 12th it is! I'll do my best to get off work that Saturday

Sn1per

Smash Journeyman
Ya know, i think that might be my problem with it. I never though about it like that before. Good point.
I'mma make a point.

I normally wouldn't here though.

The gap in skill levels is very much so as large as it in in melee. If you notice, the same big name people win brawl tournies as much as melee has their consistant bunch of people.

The difference is, in brawl, given the engine they gave it, it's incredibly hard to display (in a single match...or even a set) your dominance over someone. In melee, I would just pummel people who aren't as good as me and finish the match in less than 1-2 minutes. Cuz we could. In brawl, there isn't a good way to 'gay' someone. It's hard to even kill yourself for god sake. So it doesn't really look like you are that much better then even a nubby person.

It's really hard to do impressive things and differeniate yourself in brawl compared to melee. There is, however, very large gaps in the actual skill level of the players.

I think we're all just hoping someone figures out something that'll make them noteablly better than everyone else so we can all do it as well. Hasn't happened yet, doesn't appear to happen anytime soon.

-Zec

yay for finalizing a date !

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I'mma make a point.

The gap in skill levels is very much so as large as it in in melee. If you notice, the same big name people win brawl tournies as much as melee has their consistant bunch of people.

The difference is, in brawl, given the engine they gave it, it's incredibly hard to display (in a single match...or even a set) your dominance over someone. In melee, I would just pummel people who aren't as good as me and finish the match in less than 1-2 minutes. Cuz we could. In brawl, there isn't a good way to 'gay' someone. It's hard to even kill yourself for god sake. So it doesn't really look like you are that much better then even a nubby person.

It's really hard to do impressive things and differeniate yourself in brawl compared to melee. There is, however, very large gaps in the actual skill level of the players.

I think we're all just hoping someone figures out something that'll make them noteablly better than everyone else so we can all do it as well. Hasn't happened yet, doesn't appear to happen anytime soon.

-Zec

When I consistantly 2-3-stock people I would say that shows my dominance over them.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
I'mma make a point.

-Zec

Huh I never thought of that. Out of curiosity, why do you add -zec to the end of your posts?

Mendoza

Smash Apprentice
Listen, most players who "bad mouth" Brawl like Zjiin and I, still play it competitively all the time... and win. Some people need to understand that just because we smack talk it, doesn't mean we didn't give it a chance! We don't prefer the game, but Damian Brightside and I (plus some others) will rock your **** at it! lolz

Mars-

Smash Champion
Listen, most players who "bad mouth" Brawl like Zjiin and I, still play it competitively all the time... and win. Some people need to understand that just because we smack talk it, doesn't mean we didn't give it a chance! We don't prefer the game, but Damian Brightside and I (plus some others) will rock your **** at it! lolz
Rofl.

I'll be making this. Haven't been to a melee tourny in a while.

Top Bottom