• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does anything even survive Mega Mewtwo Y's Psystrike if it does at least neutral damage against them?

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Is it bad that every time I see some one say MMX all I can think of is Mega Man X?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does anything even survive Mega Mewtwo Y's Psystrike if it does at least neutral damage against them?
Anything with high base Defense stats can survive a neutral damage Psystrike. An Avalugg can easily take a Psystrike, but it can't handle Psychic very well with its poor Special Defense stat.

D

Deleted member 212841

Guys like Mega Zam and Avalugg are garbage in ubers btw :p If you guys are interested in the metagame you should check out here.

Also with the changes Sakurai has been clearly making to guys like Bowser to balance out the cast, what do you guys think he will likely do with Mewtwo if (sure, we'll still say if) he does add him back.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Guys like Mega Zam and Avalugg are garbage in ubers btw :p If you guys are interested in the metagame you should check out here.

Also with the changes Sakurai has been clearly making to guys like Bowser to balance out the cast, what do you guys think he will likely do with Mewtwo if (sure, we'll still say if) he does add him back.
Less floaty and less tail attacks.
More psychic moves, but get rid of Psychic and Disbale.
Preferably replaced with Psycho Cut and Psystrike.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Psychic? I guess you meant Confusion if you were referring to the side B.

If the game somehow had both megaforms as a final smash (which one would be randomized), Psycho Cut should do a lot of extra damage with the X form, and Psystrike with the Y form.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Psychic? I guess you meant Confusion if you were referring to the side B.

If the game somehow had both megaforms as a final smash (which one would be randomized), Psycho Cut should do a lot of extra damage with the X form, and Psystrike with the Y form.
Yeah, I meant confusion.
I think that Mewtwo's moveset will and should go something like this:
B: Shadow Ball
Side B: Psycho Cut
Up B: Teleport
Down B: Psystrike

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That seems like a small minority, and all those would be obviously blasted away by a move focusing on their Special Defence. Which Mewtwo should of course have in his moveset. Probably Shadow Ball or Aura Sphere. Or Bolt / Beam combinations.

Speaking of Mega Mewtwo Y though. Is the full movie already uploaded in English already?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
That seems like a small minority, and all those would be obviously blasted away by a move focusing on their Special Defence. Which Mewtwo should of course have in his moveset. Probably Shadow Ball or Aura Sphere. Or Bolt / Beam combinations.
Well Mewtwo already has Shadow Ball, so I guess that's already covered, right?

D

Deleted member 212841

The vast majority of the ubers metagame isn't OHKO'd by MMY's Psystrike. MMY is actually on the border of what I would consider strong enough to be a significant offensive threat (can 2HKO 252 Arceus formes with SR most of the time).

I don't think Sakurai would change the special moves much, tbh. Mewtwo may have been ass competition wise but Sakurai designed the moves to reflect his interpretation of the character. I feel like he would rework frame data and hitboxes and then change certain moves to reflect a more modern Mewtwo but these full revamps seems wishful thinking tbh. (I mean even Bowsers seems to have kept his classic moves, just a change of stance and other details)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
lol Mewtwo Y fanboys and overestimating dem stats/capabilities.

Sadly, yeah. Most of the things like Psycho Cut and Psystrike being commonly listed as specials for people's Sm4sh movesets will likely be just nothing more than wishful thinking, in the end. Sakurai might replace one of Mewtwo's crappy specials from Melee if we're lucky like he did with Ganondorf's side B and put the flame choke in its place, but other than that it'll probably be the kind of changes and buffs that Bowser got, which weren't a near-complete moveset overhaul or anything.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I think we MIGHT get a revamped Side-B, as Confusion was a neat idea that was pretty terribly executed. At least make it properly reflect projectiles!

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, Confusion not reflecting properly must've gotten past Melee's beta testers somehow.

It's just aside from that there being fixed Mewtwo's bound to get maybe one special move replaced with somethin else at most if we're lucky. Then if/when we see that during its Smash 4 unveil, with a lot of the other moves remaining the same like with Bowser, the "full revamp Mewtwo" crowd will be dropped back down to reality, while others may rage that it doesn't appear to be as good as the Project M Mewtwo... Then a ****storm will brew. :laugh:

Seriously though, it'll be funny if something along the lines of that really happens.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I don't want a "revamped" mewtwo. I just want small buffs all around to make him mid-tier. make him heavy

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling that in regards to Mega Evolution, Mewtwo will be able to become Mega Mewtwo Y at any point in the match through "secret" button command, but will de-evolve whenever Mega Mewtwo is KO'd.

I also see Mega Mewtwo being essentially a (justified) clone and not get separate moves, seeing as Mega Evolutions use the same exact moveset as their unevolved counterparts in-game.

tl;dr version: Mewtwo can transform into Mega Mewtwo (Y) through a special command. Mega Mewtwo will stay Mega Mewtwo until KO'd. Mega Mewtwo has same moves as Mewtwo, but different properties (including Mega Mewtwo itself).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From what I understand, you can only mega evolve one Pokemon per match, and if that Pokemon faints, you can't do another mega evolution until the next match, even if you revive the fainted Pokemon who did mega evolve.

If mega evolution is anything like the secret taunts (you can only perform it once per match), that could really limit Mega Mewtwo X/Y's usage.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If things in the previous Smashes are any indication, like Brawl's Rayquaza, I don't see Pokemon's game mechanics being translated that accurately into SSB4, far as like the megaform stuff goes. Sakurai can do it however the hell he wants with it.

Been awhile since I looked up some cool fan-art of Mewtwo, and liked some of what I found for the X form. Pretty badass.

The Y form pics I saw were stuff I think had already been posted here before, minus the appearance in the last one above, whose reaction to Xtwo made me laugh admittedly. That's probably what Femtwo's reaction to the Kanto Mewtwo would be if it megavolved into the X form in front of her though. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

@Mario and Sonic Guy:
The idea was that Mewtwo can Mega Evolve at any time during a round of Smash, but automatically de-evolves after losing a stock. Meaning, if you want to be Mega Mewtwo again, you need to take time to transform.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I've always liked X-two better than Y-two. Both the Pokemon games and fandom like to harp on on how Mewtwo is one of the strongest Pokemon alive, but he never ever seemed to use his actual physical body to do anything. X-two to me, is the epitome of a perfect Mewtwo, one who honed himself both physically and psyonically to a near perfection!

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between power and physical strength.
Mewtwo being referred to as the "strongest Pokemon" goes in line with also being referred to as the "most powerful Pokemon"; it refers to the strength of its special abilities (which are its psychic powers), not by how much Mewtwo can "lift".

It was never implied Mewtwo had great physical ability.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He does have great physical ability though. He's still easily stronger than 70% of Pokémon in physical terms. Sure, he's not QUITE Tyranitar or Groudon, but he definitely could use a power buff in Smash to fit with his character. And of course, better Specials as that's whats Mewtwo indeed is about.

D

Deleted member

Again, there is a difference between power and physical strength.

There was never indication that Mewtwo had serious physical skills prior to Mega Mewtwo X.
It sounds as though you're referring to the Attack stat, in which that would mean
This:

is more physically capable than this:

and quite a few others, including the god of Pokémon.

That doesn't sound logical, now does it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lol Golden. Everyone knows Flareon has no moves. Stop fooling around. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

Don't know why I bother trying to have a serious discussion with you....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But it was also never implied he was physically weak or am I wrong? Am pretty sure Psychic types prefer using their psychic abilities but Mewtwo would probably be able to bitchslap all of our asses in a row to Tokio with one punch.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've always liked X-two better than Y-two. Both the Pokemon games and fandom like to harp on on how Mewtwo is one of the strongest Pokemon alive, but he never ever seemed to use his actual physical body to do anything. X-two to me, is the epitome of a perfect Mewtwo, one who honed himself both physically and psyonically to a near perfection!
The fact that Mewtwo still can't learn Close Combat is pretty much why I went with Mega Mewtwo Y. I just hope that the potential Z version actually gives Mewtwo Close Combat.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He knows Super power....

I think...
It does learn Superpower, which really isn't all that different from Close Combat. Would prefer if it had the latter ultimately far as stat side effects go, but Superpower is still pretty good too.

D

Deleted member

@Diddy: That is true, it was never implied Mewtwo was physically weak like Alakazam (who is said to use its psychic powers to completely control its body; should it not be able to use its mind for any reason, it will die as it can't even lift its own head without telekinesis).

However, at the same time, "not weak" does not mean "strong" automatically. It just means "not weak".

D

Deleted member 212841

MMX also gets Low Kick which is a pretty consistent 120 in the Ubers metagame.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And for however much or little it's worth, Xtwo's ability trait gives it an automatic speed boost each time it flinches, in addition to lowering the opponents' speed with Low Kick.

Huh, on a side note, I happened to notice that Mega Blaziken and Mega Medicham aren't able to have Close Combat either, so I guess Lucario is the only fighting type megaform to have the move? That's kinda lame.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It does learn Superpower, which really isn't all that different from Close Combat. Would prefer if it had the latter ultimately far as stat side effects go, but Superpower is still pretty good too.
Actually, no. Mewtwo can't learn Superpower at all.

And for however much or little it's worth, Xtwo's ability trait gives it an automatic speed boost each time it flinches, in addition to lowering the opponents' speed with Low Kick.
Don't you mean Low Sweep? Low Kick only deals damage, with its power depending on the opponent's weight.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Golden you suggest Mewtwo isn't physically more able than the average man now?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Actually, no. Mewtwo can't learn Superpower at all.

Don't you mean Low Sweep? Low Kick only deals damage, with its power depending on the opponent's weight.
Could've sworn it did the last times I looked at its previous gen move tutor moves on serebii, but I guess not. Strange, not that I would've had my own Mewtwo know Superpower anyway over its other options.

Heh, forgot there were actually two fighting moves starting with 'Low', with how little I usually see Low Kick be used as it is, so yeah. Thought he was talking about Low Sweep at first, but now that I consider the weight of some other ubers, it actually does make Low Kick a great move for Xtwo as a result. Wow. Would suck to be Groudon (who weighs more than a Snorlax) for instance if it's hit by a Low Kick.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Could've sworn it did the last times I looked at its previous gen move tutor moves on serebii, but I guess not. Strange, not that I would've had my own Mewtwo know Superpower anyway over its other options.
Were you thinking of Dynamicmiss? That's a really old move tutor attack he can learn from 3rd gen.

Also, he's always been totally physically able!

inb4itsmirageitdoesntcount

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Inb4 Golden stating the anime isn't canon and cannot be used for reference so that he feels he 'wins' the arguement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom