• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Mewtwo creates Pokemon too, and cares for them as much as the scientists care for him (not at all). It's fairly hypocritical to excuse him for it but not them. And clearly he has a choice as well, because he has a change of heart at the end of the film, admits what he's been doing is wrong, and tries to make amends from there on.

When you're defending the actions of a character who admits they're wrong, I think you might need to reevaluate your position. You'd make a great lawyer though; "Your Honour, my client wishes to enter a guilty plea, but I disagree so we're gonna go ahead and argue not guilty anyway."

Regardless, go Mewtwo.
I guess my point was, he's more of a victim than a villain. Also I'm not saying he's guilty, I'm saying you see him as a villain, I don't. There's no right or wrong answer here, it's a question of morality. But yes, go Mewtwo :)

The Wii U version will still be there, though, so both version are available at SDCC. And Hyrule Warriors whot
And Bayonetta 2 and other Nintendo games :x

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Either Jigglypuff or Mewtwo are finished unless another Mario character is revealed, too, and spoiler alert, it's not Jigglypuff that's getting cut.
Funny enough, Jigglypuff was one of the last characters implemented before SSBB's release. If it weren't for Sonic delaying the game, Jiggs would not have been on the final roster.

So Jiggs has been on the chopping block before; fortunately for her, she's easier to make in comparison to most chars. Ness, too, before Lucas's game was canceled on N64DD. Both chars were extremely lucky to return, and their whole "oh but they're part of duh O12" didn't help them when they were clearly put down as low priority fighters.

This time around, Sakurai wasn't called by Nintendo out of the blue to work on a Smash game, in a random E3 announcement. He has his character list ready this time, and he knows what the fans want.

In any case... I'm a firm believer both Jiggs and Mewtwo will make it onto the roster, and everyone thinking they can predict reps by past "patterns" will have their minds blown by Sakurai (yet again).

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Can you please provide proof that Jigglypuff would have been cut, Steelia? Like quotes or an interview? I have never heard of the possibility of one of the SSB64 characters being removed.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
(Still in D.A., mode, so nobody tries to quote me out of context. It's happened before.)
No, Brawl took additional steps to ensure that Pokémon Trainer did not function as three separate characters but one with three stances. Remember Fatigue? Forced Switching?
I don't want to remember Fatigue OR Stamina value. . .but I still do.
The only reasons those built-in mechanics were put into the Pkmn Trainer was inspiration straight from the Pokemon games and/or anime. Sakurai ofc knows since he's played the games & implemented that to the character, hence why Forced Switching occurs when your current Pokemon is knocked out of the battle from a KO, having you send out another pokemon. The gimmicks all together dragged the pokemon down to be looked upon only as 'stances' which is a joke. To conclude this, Charizard so far was the only one to return leaving PT & Squirtle/Ivysur behind, good riddance to SSBBrawl's PT mechanics.

Edit: Go Mewtwo!:mewtwopm:
yo @ Steelia Steelia Hexaped is calling for you to get some proof about Jigglypuff' getting cut from Brawl.:grin:

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Can you please provide proof that Jigglypuff would have been cut, Steelia? Like quotes or an interview? I have never heard of the possibility of one of the SSB64 characters being removed.
when a character is one of the last to be normaly unlocked they are almost cut since jigglypuff was one of the last ones it was almost cut unless sonic was added toon link wolf and her ght have not been playable

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Funny enough, Jigglypuff was one of the last characters implemented before SSBB's release. If it weren't for Sonic delaying the game, Jiggs would not have been on the final roster.

So Jiggs has been on the chopping block before; fortunately for her, she's easier to make in comparison to most chars. Ness, too, before Lucas's game was canceled on N64DD. Both chars were extremely lucky to return, and their whole "oh but they're part of duh O12" didn't help them when they were clearly put down as low priority fighters.

This time around, Sakurai wasn't called by Nintendo out of the blue to work on a Smash game, in a random E3 announcement. He has his character list ready this time, and he knows what the fans want.

In any case... I'm a firm believer both Jiggs and Mewtwo will make it onto the roster, and everyone thinking they can predict reps by past "patterns" will have their minds blown by Sakurai (yet again).

plus not to mention lucina was not on it, so that could be why the game got delayed as usual, so every delay that happens its for adding a couple more characters. (I know this sounds optimistic though)

Steelia

Smash Champion
It's more common sense, from hacking observations of SSBB. Jiggs, Wolf and Toon Link are consistently the very last characters when it comes to data on the disc - the last CSPs, last numbered stock icons, etc. What really makes it obvious is how they were incorporated into the SSE, being tacked on at the very end acting as "post-game" encounters with no bearing on the plot.

This data is very reminiscent to the way the 6 clone characters were handled in SSBM. All six (Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Ganondorf and Falco) are entered at the very end of the list of characters, just like Jiggs, Wolf and Toon Link. Same method, different game.

While only observations, there's definitely been interviews or at least articles pertaining to Ness being temporarily dropped, until Lucas's (first) game was canceled. So we know for sure one of the original SSB64 fighters has been in danger before, and that they're not untouchable.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
It's more common sense, from hacking observations of SSBB. Jiggs, Wolf and Toon Link are consistently the very last characters when it comes to data on the disc - the last CSPs, last numbered stock icons, etc. What really makes it obvious is how they were incorporated into the SSE, being tacked on at the very end acting as "post-game" encounters with no bearing on the plot.

This data is very reminiscent to the way the 6 clone characters were handled in SSBM. All six (Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Ganondorf and Falco) are entered at the very end of the list of characters, just like Jiggs, Wolf and Toon Link. Same method, different game.

While only observations, there's definitely been interviews or at least articles pertaining to Ness being temporarily dropped, until Lucas's (first) game was canceled. So we know for sure one of the original SSB64 fighters has been in danger before, and that they're not untouchable.
yeah and both that have been almost cut before our still not confirmed random i think that they could have still be on the chopping block

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Time to flame the fest out of you!

THEY'RE ALL READY TO FLAME YOU SO HARD LIQUIDFGC!

I hope you burn:demon:
Let's take this in a civil manner, it's not like I was trying to ruin your hopes and dreams or anything we can be civilized people :3

Those theories were a huge gamble anyway. Only Extremespeed Genesect had a small chance of being true due to reveal date coincidences. I never expected any of them to be true ;_;

pls dun flame ):

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
I was wondering, are there any teases or quotes since the announcement for SBB4 which speculate for Mewtwo to be in the game?
(I just read the whole Ridley will be playable post by Aldelaro5 which was great btw, and i was hoping Mewtwo had some as well :D)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Let's take this in a civil manner, it's not like I was trying to ruin your hopes and dreams or anything we can be civilized people :3

Those theories were a huge gamble anyway. Only Extremespeed Genesect had a small chance of being true due to reveal date coincidences. I never expected any of them to be true ;_;

pls dun flame ):
I kind of hope Extremespeed Genesect/Legend Awakened isn't going to be the sole reason Mewtwo has a chance to come back.

I mean, sure, Kalos Mewtwo is super attractive and I'd totally date her had potential, but all in all it was pretty clear that movie was pure merchandising rather than even trying to tell a good story.

A lot more people play the games than watch the anime now, anyway, even within the target audience, so Mewtwo being one of X/Y's flagship characters seems like a better point in terms of her relevance.

I was wondering, are there any teases or quotes since the announcement for SBB4 which speculate for Mewtwo to be in the game?
(I just read the whole Ridley will be playable post by Aldelaro5 which was great btw, and i was hoping Mewtwo had some as well :D)
Greninja's trailer. His silhouette showed the lean body, the three-fingered hands (very conspicuously without webbing), and the same Kamehamehadouken stance used for the Shadow Ball.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Greninja's trailer. His silhouette showed the lean body, the three-fingered hands (very conspicuously without webbing), and the same Kamehamehadouken stance used for the Shadow Ball.
These, Mewtwo not being shown as a Pokeball/Master Ball summon, his staggering amount of requests, and Sakurai replying from the crowd "We are thinking about it" when someone asked Game Freak at a Developer Roundtable if we'd be seeing Mega Mewtwo in Smash.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I mean, sure, Kalos Mewtwo is super attractive and I'd totally date her had potential, but all in all it was pretty clear that movie was pure merchandising rather than even trying to tell a good story.
Agreed. That movie was HORRIBLE. It should have been renamed "Mewtwo Stops Incoming Attacks and Genesect". It was cool to see Mewtwo/MMY though. On a similar note, I hope they don't give him Swift like in the Origins fight with Charizard X. I mean, that fight was awesome and everything, but I'd feel weird seeing Mewtwo use such a common (and kawaii) attack.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
"We' re thinking about it." (It=Mega Mewtwo Y)
I think that this statement means WAY more than any Ridley's tease, because...how they could think to add a MegaMewtwo whitout have Mewtwo in the game!?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think that this statement means WAY more than any Ridley's tease, because...how they could think to add a MegaMewtwo whitout have Mewtwo in the game!?

Yea i really doubt a mega mewtwo os playable and the normal one was not.

Im pretty sure either mega evo role is going to be final smash.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Idk about you guys, but I'm starting to want Mewtwo back in really bad, it's just so bad that I don't even care whether or not he gets mega evolutions in the game

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
Idk about you guys, but I'm starting to want Mewtwo back in really bad, it's just so bad that I don't even care whether or not he gets mega evolutions in the game
I don't care about the Mega Evolution at all. I want Mewtwo as he should be :p If he's included the roster is complete as far as i'm concerned. Do kinda want Ridley too but not so much as Mewtwo :D

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
That, plus the demand, plus the fan outcries when he was cut? Sakurai did it. I can't imagine him knowing about all that and saying "nevermind." Mewtwo's gotta be in the game.

I don't care about the Mega Evolution at all. I want Mewtwo as he should be :p If he's included the roster is complete as far as i'm concerned. Do kinda want Ridley too but not so much as Mewtwo :D
I agree with this. Even though the roster is still just at 36, if they add Mewtwo, I'd be content with it being the final roster. I would like to see a bigger list that's closer to 50, hopefully with Ridley, a Ganon with a new moveset, and some other villainous characters, but I'd be content with just Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That, plus the demand, plus the fan outcries when he was cut? Sakurai did it. I can't imagine him knowing about all that and saying "nevermind." Mewtwo's gotta be in the game.
Hold up. Since when has Sakurai ever cared about his fans' opinions? Ever?

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Other people on here can make a better argument for this (regarding the inclusion Mega Man, Lucina, certain game features, and many others), but he does listen. One example would be from this article:

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played," Sakurai said, "if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.

"I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions."
For crying out loud, he was at the Smash Invitational, and he stayed to watch when we all thought he hated the idea of Smash for tourneys. He cares.

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace

pls dun flame ):
The reason I capped my second sentence was to look convenient with saying your username that's also in caps.:shades:
Sorry for the flame, Thanks for Theories~

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
If both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff make it into the game, we will have six Pokemon characters. Some people won't like this, but we had six Pokemon characters in Brawl too.

"But there was four characters, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and the Pokemon Trainer!"

There were four Pokemon slots, not four characters. You could play as Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, adding to the main three Pokemon fighters already. We can have as many slots as we want, but not as many characters. Since Ivysaur and Squirtle are being removed, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff will make six characters.

EDIT: We would have had five slots if Mewtwo wasn't cut during development, but I'll just judge from the finished Brawl.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff make it into the game, we will have six Pokemon characters. Some people won't like this, but we had six Pokemon characters in Brawl too.

"But there was four characters, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and the Pokemon Trainer!"

There were four Pokemon slots, not four characters. You could play as Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, adding to the main three Pokemon fighters already. We can have as many slots as we want, but not as many characters. Since Ivysaur and Squirtle are being removed, Mewtwo and Jigglypuff will make six characters.
Let us, for one second pretend that you are indeed incorrect (which you are not). Brawl might have had four "slots;" however, the series was intended to have five "slots" in the first place which completely and utterly negates that argument. Ironically, that intended fifth Pokemon was our favorite purple space dragon cat Mewtwo.

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Let us, for one second pretend that you are indeed incorrect (which you are not). Brawl might have had four "slots;" however, the series was intended to have five "slots" in the first place which completely and utterly negates that argument. Ironically, that intended fifth Pokemon was our favorite purple space dragon cat Mewtwo.
Well then, that would have added to seven characters you could play as, which would drive my point home that six characters isn't that much of a stretch for the new game. Thanks for bringing that up though.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
-Game Cube Controller Adaptor
-Remove Tripping
-Faster Gameplay
-Mega Man, Lucina , Palutena and Little Mac
-Less information for keep some surprise for the players (not like Brawl)
-Remove Star K.O. near the end of Time Mach
Yes, he is definitely ignoring his fans...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Man. . .I always forget that Mewtwo's cut with provided codec data of the character was in SSBBrawl. Would of been 5 slots also = 7 playable characters.:4lucario: awaits for you, :mewtwopm:.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
-Remove Tripping
-Faster Gameplay
I'm pretty sure all those were of either his own decision or another staff member's. Most likely another staff member regarding the ones that involve gameplay mechanics.

Mega Man, Palutena, and Little Mac were most likely his own decison, and we know for a fact Lucina was from the Famitsu interview.

He loves making it clear exactly what he thinks of us.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I'm pretty sure all those were of either his own decision or another staff member's. Most likely another staff member regarding the ones that involve gameplay mechanics.

Mega Man, Palutena, and Little Mac were most likely his own decison, and we know for a fact Lucina was from the Famitsu interview.

He loves making it clear exactly what he thinks of us.
It's always easier to see the bad in people and overlook the good.

PS, He didn't have to make Lucina a PC when she could have been easily a Marth alt.
PPS, He didn't have to be at the Smash Invitational and stay throughout the whole thing.
PPPS, He didn't have to include a Final Destination version for all the stages.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

A lot more people play the games than watch the anime now, anyway, even within the target audience, so Mewtwo being one of X/Y's flagship characters seems like a better point in terms of her relevance.
wat did i just read, interspecies romance ewwwwwwwww

To me, reasons don't matter. As long as Mewtwo gets back in, I will accept whatever reason Sakurai decided to do it.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
-Remove Tripping
-Faster Gameplay
Don't forget one of the biggest ones: the for glory online option.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It's always easier to see the bad in people and overlook the good.
This is kinda late to say/post about, but I applauded to the max when they announced around of applause for Sakurai on the main stage during the Smash Bros. Invitational stream. No one, barely anyone applauded for that man. . .disgrace.:ohwell:

Edit: The whole thing I said 5 pages ago about Mewtwo being Sakurai's persona Pokemon Medium. . . yeah. . .Sakurai ain't that happy atm. Just Adulting~

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
This is kinda late to say/post about, but I applauded to the max when they announced around of applause for Sakurai on the main stage during the Smash Bros. Invitational stream. No one, barely anyone applauded for that man. . .disgrace.:ohwell:

Edit: The whole thing I said 5 pages ago about Mewtwo being Sakurai's persona Pokemon Medium. . . yeah. . .Sakurai ain't that happy atm. Just Adulting~
They cheered for him, just not at certain parts which admittedly made me cringe. I think it was due to overlapping announcer comments. But at least when he was introduced the crowd went wild.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I know that this isn't the topic at hand, but what are your hopes for Mewtwo gameplay-wise if he does come back?
I would like to see the hitbox and knockback on his Up Smash buffed so that it could be SDI'd out of less easily and be a reliable kill option or anti-air move.
Mewtwo's mobility desperately needs to be improved without wave-dashing. He's great in the air, but if he could have at least average dash speed and a bit more traction, that would be nice. He also needs better approach options (like a new jab).

Even if Mewtwo were to come back the same though, I'd still play him anyway no matter how bad I am with him. I wouldn't main him though since Greninja and Yoshi are higher priorities for me, but he'll be one of my submains if he comes back.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Mewtwo, Ridley and Robin are my most top 3, and TBH it would be able to influence if I get a WiiU. (Simon Belmont too, but i know his chances aren't great).

Fun fact is that of those 3 the one i was least expecting was Robin... so i'm kinda optimistic : D

(and i don't think that jiggs will get the axe seems looks easy to implement, adds a lot to the roster and have some fanbase, but i doubt it will be taking "mewtwo slot")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom