• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fact 54 - Mewtwo Is On The Way [Social/General Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
LONG POST ALERT TL;DR Mewtwo has so much depth & character complexity he's like a neutral character with symbolic qualities making him good, neutral, or evil.
Why do we keep putting Mewtwo on the villans side? he's shown in the anime/games to be neutral.
There's sub-categories for the whole 'Good to Evil' aka 'protagonist to antagonist' meter going from pure to corrupt high to low. But to start it out, we have to set Mewtwo low due to his character development starting early as 'evil' i.e. villain:

Good
Neutral
Evil ---Mewtwo starting out here from our views on 'em---

Mewtwo characterized from his start in Red & Blue was "The toughest, the rarest, & the strongest!" But Mewtwo was just considered new & never seen before in games without any story behind why Mewtwo is in the Unknown Cerulean Cave so technically Mewtwo started out in Neutral in the Video games so it should look like this:

Good
Neutral ---Mewtwo starting out in Red&Blue as a catch-able powerful pokemon requiring a strategy forming your team to capture it---
Evil

After that you got a huge release of Character deveolpment for mewtwo featuring him in the movie Mewtwo Strikes Back! where mewtwo is portrayed as a rebellious figure who gives off vibe of vicious & intimidating, this worked so well for Mewtwo considering the praise & reputation he made in the movie, with an evil ambition worthy enough of 'world domination'. Despite how the movie leads to it's ending bringing Mewtwo back to neutral if not above good this is where the distinction of good & evil gets a bit more complicated.

Good
Neutral
Evil ---Mewtwo being the main antagonist of Pokemon: The First Movie
Mewtwo got even more depth & character background when in 1999 The Birth of Mewtwo: Pokemon Radio Drama expanding about Mewtwo's origins. Story of the child Mewtwo making friends with Dr. Fuji's cloned deceased daughter that ends up dying from unstable cloning process, traumatizing Mewtwo & therefore erasing Mewtwo's memories fully developing his body leading to the Mewtwo Strikes Back! movie. This is actually considering mewtwo at his real beginning being pure showing good qualities of a character so it should technically be this:

Good ---Mewtwo befriending one another with a human defying his current trait of what we define Mewtwo as a villain/neutral---
Neutral
Evil

In December 2000 the sequal Pokemon: Mewtwo Returns long story short Giovanni retained his memory of Mewtwo & goes out to find him to capture him. Ash & company assist in preventing Mewtwo be captured & erase Giovanni
s & his soldier's memories departing leaving Ash & friends unaffected. Now Mewtwo who is technically considered Neutral by the end of Pokemon: The First Movie remains neutral.

Good
Neutral ---Mewtwo leaves himself here in the sequal like he did in the end of the first movie, however almost goes up one spot into the in-between of Good & Neutral due to his mercy of leaving Ash & friends their memory intact after the mind wipe Mewtwo dealt to Giovanni & Team Rocket.---
Evil

Overall, Mewtwo started out evil to us, mixed up with bringing in his origin becoming technically good in his beginning, but catches back up to speed returning to the evil throne of Pokemon, finally became neutral as an end result to his legacy & including some good statement points fromthis source below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mewtwo#Reception_and_legacy

In the games, Mewtwo is consistently noted as being one of the strongest opponents, the rarest, hardest to catch, & the best Pokémon in the game". Because of the character's multiple strengths and few weaknesses, it changed how players approached playing against each other, causing players to develop strategies beating Mewtwo. IGN's staff bemoaned its exclusion from SSBBrawl with a poll by IGN sharing the same sentiments.

Other reactions have been mixed. While it has been cited as a "complex and compelling villain" by some critics, its goal of world domination was received as a trait shared by "…every anime villain…". However, Mewtwo was praised as a character with "philosophical depth" as well as for serving as "an adversary of almost infinite power and genuine malice" that the anime series had been lacking. Mewtwo was also described as "brooding, articulate and vengeful where the other Pokémon remain bright blobs of wordless energy", and "Like a troubled elder brother, Mewtwo represents an older order of experience." Not only praised as the best villain of the Pokémon film series, but one of Mewtwo Strikes Back's strongest elements.

Edit: Basically my post just repeats what you said but with tons of information going into depth that proves why he's considered neutral & perhaps you already knew, but I felt like posting this for others who didn't.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ Masonomace Masonomace It depends on adaptation:

Games: Explicitly a Mon that wants to kill and only kill. fight and only fight.

Mewtwo Returns: Anti-Hero

Mewtwo Strikes Back: Not Evil, Just Misunderstood

Extremespeed Genesect: The Hero, if distrusting of humans.

Prologue to Awakening: Chronic Hero who dislikes humans.

So they have a lot of things to choose from.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

I don't know, he was pretty evil until the end of Strikes Back.

I mean, there was that whole "genocide attempt against all organic life" thing.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Melee: Sinister character who uses darkness for attacks and teams up with the other villains for the final event match.

D

Deleted member

Sinister? Only thing "sinister" is his laugh.
Melee Mewtwo is depicted as a beast of battle like in the games, though under an existential crisis like the original anime Mewtwo.

As for "teaming up with other villains", Dedede teamed up with Bowser and Ganondorf for the second to last Event in Brawl and even has a sinister laugh of his own, yet was the guy who played a major role in stopping Tabuu (instead of working with the Subspace Army like Bowser, Ganondorf, and Wario) in the SSE and isn't really a villain in his home series.

And he, as well as Meta Knight, Wario, and Wolf teamed up with Bowser and Ganondorf teamed up for the second to last Co-Op Event. Those three are anti-heroes, not villains.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I don't know, he was pretty evil until the end of Strikes Back.

I mean, there was that whole "genocide attempt against all organic life" thing.
Not that the topic of genocide is funny but that comment made me giggle.

Yeah Mewtwo isn't a villain, more of an anti-hero or anti-villain. He has his own motives that are debatable as to whether they're good or evil. He's similar to Meta Knight in that sense (from what I know of him anyway.) I guess the overall category is "villain" but what we really mean is "dark".

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmmm it just accured to me

In pokemon origins its charizard X that red uses to bear mewtwo right

Even though that mewtwo diden't woulden't that mean the one in pokemon origins is mewtwo X because in X you can only get the mewtwo mega evolve atone.

(Because charizard x is only possible on X)

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Next Newcomer trailer I bet will be Shulk fighting either Mewtwo or Ness!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Smash direct Sep 6 a week before japan release that would be so cool
Make it happen nintendo.I hope August is a smash direct.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
For some reason, I imagine Snake, Mewtwo, and Ridley all being revealed together. They'd all logically be in the same place; a weapons research facility.

Snake would be there to investigate. Ridley would be there to rob the place dry for Space Pirate use.

And Mewtwo would be the weapon being developed.

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for that clever idea, Saikyoshi! They are all clones too, in certain appearances!

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
*Also orders ticket for hype train*

For some reason, I imagine Snake, Mewtwo, and Ridley all being revealed together. They'd all logically be in the same place; a weapons research facility.

Snake would be there to investigate. Ridley would be there to rob the place dry for Space Pirate use.

That would be an awesome trailer idea. MAKE IT HAPPEN SAKURAI!

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
For some reason, I imagine Snake, Mewtwo, and Ridley all being revealed together. They'd all logically be in the same place; a weapons research facility.You sir are a freaking genius!Make it happen Samurai please pretty please!

Yes!

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm honestly starting to doubt Mewtwo will appear in this game. We already have four pokemon reps and unless Jigglypuff got cut (which I wouldn't mind, honestly) there would be SIX pokemon reps, and that's a little unreal. I know there were a lot of pokemon in Brawl, but three of them took up one spot, so here it's different.

However, it's not jigglypuff's fault, it's Lucario's, why did Sakurai even consider Lucario, it just blows me away that pretty much all the Brawl newcomers will return and nobody cut from Brawl will return.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm honestly starting to doubt Mewtwo will appear in this game. We already have four pokemon reps and unless Jigglypuff got cut (which I wouldn't mind, honestly) there would be SIX pokemon reps, and that's a little unreal. I know there were a lot of pokemon in Brawl, but three of them took up one spot, so here it's different.

However, it's not jigglypuff's fault, it's Lucario's, why did Sakurai even consider Lucario, it just blows me away that pretty much all the Brawl newcomers will return and nobody cut from Brawl will return.
And slots matter more than actual characters because...?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Because we don't need six pokemon characters in Smash.
Why not? Not only is six the amount of Pokemon you can have in a party, we had 6 Pokemon characters in Brawl. Sure one of them was three in one, but they all got separate trophies and announcer quotes. Not to mention the inclusion of Lucina basically shows that slots are hardly an issue to Sakurai.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336

Lucario is the most popular of gen 4 more popular than any gen 5 pokemon.He is the first mega evolution ever(by the text in pokemon xy.)He's a strong pokemon that is even used a lot by the competetive community increasing his popularity.Being in brawl boosted his popularity by a lot and now with smash 4,mega evolutions and all the promotional material it gets with the likes of Charizard X and Mewtwo Y...Need I say more?I assume that Jigglypuff was in 64 and Melee(Since they released so close to each other)because it had a similar body type to kirby and popular for the first two seasons.I think it should have been Meowth,Charizard or Mewtwo who are still relevant and popular.

Brawl had 39 characters which means Zelda and Sheik are considered seperate as are the PT's pokemon.They are seperate moovesets and their models and animations took just as much time as anyone else.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because we don't need six pokemon characters in Smash.
Well, for one, that argument is subjective, and thus is not a very valid argument to use. Also, we had six Pokemon characters in Brawl, and Sakurai has recognized this to be the case despite the fact that three of them were in one slot. So saying that Mewtwo won't be in because of "slots" is a rather baseless argument.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Why not? Not only is six the amount of Pokemon you can have in a party, we had 6 Pokemon characters in Brawl. Sure one of them was three in one, but they all got separate trophies and announcer quotes. Not to mention the inclusion of Lucina basically shows that slots are hardly an issue to Sakurai.
I suppose i'm okay with it if there is more than 49 characters (50 counting the random slot), but if not it just takes up too much space. I love Mewtwo to death and I was hoping he would return so much but then Lucario had to come in and wreck my dream.

Sorry guys, but it seems like Sakurai is trying to limit the roster so much that i'm really having to base it around slots.

If my argument above sounds stupid, disregard it, because I can't really back it up other than saying yes there will be slots.

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Just bought mine right now ;D

I like these. I don't mind being let down in the end because there's usually something alternatively interesting when these happen. Like Robin. It's coming down to it though. The clock's counting down.

Another character reveal would be spoiling us.
If what most of us has speculated is true, that there will be about 50 characters in the roster, Sakurai has a lot of revealing to do between now and September 13th.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Sorry guys, but it seems like Sakurai is trying to limit the roster so much that i'm really having to base it around slots.
And yet he just doubled the amount of FE reps in SSB4, up to four on the roster, the most that franchise has ever seen... and it's not even one of Nintendo's biggest franchises! Whenever Sakurai referred to SSBB's cast, he always referred to it as "39 characters", never by the amount of char slots on the screen.

Mewtwo is the most demanded character out of any, in nearly all regions in the world, and is more relevant now these days than ever before. He missed out once, but that was due to time constraints and that terrible adventure mode in SSBB. Sakurai's noted how the development team is the biggest it's ever been... There's no excuse.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Convincing statements, Steelia! Does anyone want to share ideas for new Mewtwo attacks?

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
In the first movie he is clearly a villain. Just because he finds redemption at the end doesn't make him not the villain of that story. See: Darth Vader

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
In the first movie he is clearly a villain. Just because he finds redemption at the end doesn't make him not the villain of that story. See: Darth Vader
Did you even see the prologue? With AiTwo? And the cloned Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle? That was heartbreaking. And to make things worse, Mewtwo ended up being nothing but an experiment to those scientists. He's not a villain, he was treated like sh*t, it's not his fault he grew up messed up. Darth Vader had a much clearer choice when he chose the dark side.

Last edited:

crotch protector

Smash Apprentice
Did you even see the prologue? With AiTwo? And the cloned Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle? That was heartbreaking. And to make things worse, Mewtwo ended up being nothing but an experiment to those scientists. He's not a villain, he was treated like sh*t, it's not his fault he grew up messed up. Darth Vader had a much clearer choice when he chose the dark side.
His motives, however noble they may seem to him, don't make his actions right. He is redeemed at the end, but he is the villain for the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom