• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
The "160" errors have been around since the beginning, people have gotten them on all kinds of games. Smash being the most widely played and the most vocal community for games on the WiiU has just brought it the attention it needed. As I saw someone say on Reddit: "Just because someone in a crowd with you coughs, doesn't mean you are going to get Ebola." There's no need to think it will happen to you. It just sucks for the people who are affected by it.

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I guess I won't play online till the next update I guess.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I downloaded the latest system update yesterday and just did a 20 stock battle offline for the first time since. All seems well, at least for now!

Last edited:

Fede24

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna contribute to this thread with my experience:

Without knowing of the depth of this error, I was playing offline mode multiplayer for an hour or two yesterday. No one used online mode that I can remember. We played fine all day and had been playing fine since last wednesday when I got the game.

All of a sudden, in the middle of a match, I got an "there is an error with the USB memory problem"
(I have a physical copy, but my Smash files are saved on my USB Pendrive thing). I thought it could be a faulty USB drive, so I rebooted, went into Data Management just fine, tried to move the files to the system memory, and in the middle of the transfer, when it says do not turn off, pum, black screen again, error thing.

Scared of having lost everything, I rebooted, went into Smash, and everything was still there. I tried to copy the save file this time instead of moving, same problem.

I turned off the console and haven't tried again. What's different in mine is that I have it on an USB, not on my system, so it's not a system memory issue apparently? I think it's more of a handling data issue. I'm guessing something went wrong with the latest update or something.

Last edited:

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
Seems like it may be a read/write error with how the system handles it. Then, once you reformat, the system hardware goes all wonky.
This is a weird one.

teDDieh

Smash Rookie
It would be nice, if this thread wouldn't be filled with assumptions without any clear knowledge.

Since everyone started "contributing" to this, it is hard to follow the real facts.

The last 200 posts didn't help at all!

We won't program the needed Update ourselves and Nintendo hasn't stated anything.
So let's just wait for some official announcement and only post facts, please. (Some websites or random internet guys opinions ain't facts though)

This shouldn't be a chatroom about opinions.

Thanks in advance

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Why didn't anyone noticed this post?? It's quite relevant...
It was proven false by the guy who made the video. Heres my analisis on it.

1.)Either it works when using an account who has never played the game in there.

or

2.) Theres another error which causes this, and error code 160 is actually an error code for not finding an error code. SO in theory, error 160 can be used for obscure errors.

Last edited:

KingRedCastle

Smash Rookie
In the Nintendo Help Forums, someone claims to have fixed the "Error" by restarting (To put it briefly).
Has anyone questioned weather similar External HD's are to blame? Sorry, I don't have time to read 250 comments.

Guidantar

Smash Rookie
Why are people not allowing the game to save onto the console and are using external storage? Surely that's bad practise anyway...the game WILL save some data on the system even if you're using a memory stick so you're just making things more complex. The saved data isn't that big that it requires external storage.

There are too many guesses going on. As there are so many so many ppl playing Smash, there are lots of ways this error is appearing...which is why there are so many assumptions being made as to what caused it. This error has occurred with quite a few other games, including Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors so it's not 100% related to Smash. People need to realise this.

Soooo many ppl are scared to play the game just because a random person has said, for example "Don't play For Glory as this caused me the error"...that guy knows nothing. Nintendo is the only source that anyone can trust with that kind of information.

Last edited:

Fede24

Smash Rookie
Why are people not allowing the game to save onto the console and are using external storage? Surely that's bad practise anyway...the game WILL save some data on the system even if you're using a memory stick so you're just making things more complex. The saved data isn't that big that it requires external storage.

There are too many guesses going on. As there are so many so many ppl playing Smash, there are lots of ways this error is appearing...which is why there are so many assumptions being made as to what caused it. This error has occurred with quite a few other games, including Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors so it's not 100% related to Smash. People need to realise this.

Soooo many ppl are scared to play the game just because a random person has said, for example "Don't play For Glory as this caused me the error"...that guy knows nothing. Nintendo is the only source that anyone can trust with that kind of information.
In my case, the game did it automatically. I WAS going to move everything to system memory some days ago, but I forgot, and now I can't. I still haven't tried playing but I will later tonight and see if the error shows up again.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424

I agree 100. So many people have failed to read my original post. And now they are scaring themselves.

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
I don't know why you are discouraging people from saving the Smash update and save data in a USB stick. We don't know if the real cause of the problem is Smash itself, but the facts is: the thing that gets corrupted is the Smash update file. So, if you have the smash update file in the internal memory of the Wii U, and you get this error, you will lose your progress and your Wii U memory will be screwed. If you have the file in a USB stick, and you get the error, you will lose your progress and maybe screw up the USB stick. Of course USB sticks are not designed for this kind of stuff. What does this mean? You may screw up your USB stick after using it for a long time. The USB stick, no the console itself.

So, in a nutshell:
  • Have the save and update file in the Wii U's internal memory: if you get the error your internal memory gets screwed.
  • Have the save and update file in the USB stick: if you get the error you screw up the USB stick.
Now tell me the exact reason not to have these files in a USB stick until all this gets solved or cleared out. Remember you can transfer the files back to the Wii U's internal memory whenever you want.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I agree that saving your memory on USB device is a good plan. But some users are saying that the auto saving system is the cause of this error. And that exiting at the start screen will prevent this, which is completely bogus.
Backing up all saves is preferable but this isn't going to save anyone's console. Unless the update data is on the USB device. Because for many users the update data is the problem.

BeatMax Sakuraba

Smash Cadet
NNID
Neku2012
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
Okay, so, I played some online matches with some friends. If anyone didn't see my last post, I am playing with the latest firmware and latest Smash version. Nothing's happened since then. I've also had my Wii U for 2 Christmases, and almost every single game I've brought for the system were at release date. Haven't gotten any single error like this. The only errors I'd get would be internet related. XD. Anyways, Nintendo is well aware, so they'll have this fixed real soon. For those of you who can't play Smash Wii U but can play other games, play other games. That's my suggestion.

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
I agree that saving your memory on USB device is a good plan. But some users are saying that the auto saving system is the cause of this error. And that exiting at the start screen will prevent this, which is completely bogus.
Backing up all saves is preferable but this isn't going to save anyone's console. Unless the update data is on the USB device. Because for many users the update data is the problem.
You CAN move the update data to the USB device and use it there. You don't need to have anything smash-related inside the internal memory, the Wii U allows you to have both the save and the update file inside any USB stick and just have the game save there and load the update from there. That's what I mean. If you don't have the error yet, you just move the update data (along with the save and everything) to any USB stick you have around, and that way you keep your Wii U away from any risks: if the update data gets corrupted, it will do so inside the USB stick. Your Wii U won't have any issues this way.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Awesome! Hopefully by next week everything is all figured out :)
It may take a bit of time, but I'm sure they are working hard to isolate the issue and figure out a quick fix for it. The longer this goes on the more business they could potentially lose.

Blatikin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blatikin
Yeah maann. This game just came out a few days ago. Now i cant even play it, cause I scared of all this. I was really getting into my mojo with Duck hunt duo too.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest when I say I think the majority here is being paranoid of playing smash, I've kept up with this error yet I'm still playing Smash Wii U and I suppose I'm still fine. If anything Nintendo is working on it and hopefully should come up with a solution soon.

Still, I kind of am mad from the existence of this error, it's absolutely unacceptable for a single game to potentially brick your Wii U (if you format it). It's also unacceptable that its been years this error has existed for years and only NOW Nintendo is taking action. Since this is happening with multiple games I'm expecting a firmware update, if not, I suppose people will have to send their Wii U in for repair.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I have played over 40 hours including online since the error panic started and everything is fine. The error only bricks your system if you try to reset it. Not playing because you couldn't play the game with the error until there is a fix is therefore pretty stupid because it's basically the same.
Also less than 1% of all Wii U owners had the error at all so stop being so paranoid.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
If you have the error, you were likely going to get it eventually anyway. Nintendo is fixing systems for free, so it's better to find out now and get the free fix while you can. But again, it's super unlikely that you will be affected.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
My Wii U's perfectly fine after playing Smash 4 Wii U couple days ago. I wouldn't be too scared about playing the game because this error's been happening with other games & not just Smash. Nintendo's already looking into this & the chance of getting this error is very small.

Still, I think this is gonna hurt the Wii U's sales even more because of this error. It's the RROD all over again. And this is what I'm concerned about the most. :/

Patongi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Patongi
People are really way too paranoid about the error.
I'm scared of getting the error too of course, but I think theres more chance of getting ebola while going for a walk in Guinea.

Nonetheless, hope they fix it soon.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
My Wii U's perfectly fine after playing Smash 4 Wii U couple days ago. I wouldn't be too scared about playing the game because this error's been happening with other games & not just Smash. Nintendo's already looking into this & the chance of getting this error is very small.

Still, I think this is gonna hurt the Wii U's sales even more because of this error. It's the RROD all over again. And this is what I'm concerned about the most. :/
RROD was something like 30% of systems. This is nowhere near that level of defect.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
RROD was something like 30% of systems. This is nowhere near that level of defect.
The error isn't in the same level as the RROD, yes. I can't help but still be a little paranoid that not many people will buy a Wii U now because of the error. It can still hurt Nintendo if they can't find a solution soon.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
If you have the error, you were likely going to get it eventually anyway. Nintendo is fixing systems for free, so it's better to find out now and get the free fix while you can. But again, it's super unlikely that you will be affected.
They only do repairs if it is under warranty. They are working on another solution, but right now, I'm look at $104.98 to have my system repaired, since I bought it 2 years ago.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
They only do repairs if it is under warranty. They are working on another solution, but right now, I'm look at $104.98 to have my system repaired, since I bought it 2 years ago.
When did they tell you that? Because it is possible that when you contacted them, they rep didn't know of the issue yet.

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
Alright doing some testing I've found out something that may be of use for SOME of us affected.

In my case as I stated earlier, mine is a digital copy and the game file is corrupt (as I can move or delete any other save/update file in data management of the game except for the big 11GB file). But it's not the whole game that's corrupt, since I can start the game and even play matches, offline and online.

In my case I discovered that what's corrupt for me are Sheik, Samus, ZSS, Kirby, Sonic and Shulk, that's why sometimes I could even play 6 matches in a row. The game always froze just before the start of the match (I assume when the system loaded any of those characters from opponents). It also froze on me in all star mode (probably when Shulk was about to appear) and the sound test on the voices (when I played Sheik's sounds). I thought it may be the stages but I tried them all on training and had no issue. This corrupt content seems to be fixed (as in not expanding), so, if I avoid these troublemakers the game runs fine.

So if you can run the game, see if you can figure out what triggers it for you and you may be able to play whatever modes aren't related /currently using what's corrupt on your system/game.

Also, question for those of you with a physical copy, what's in Smash's data on data management? Is it only the update and the save files? or is there some other file there??

Last edited:

Fede24

Smash Rookie
I'm beginning to be convinced this is a software/firmware issue.

I tried playing with my physical copy and get error 160-105. A problem with USB device it says. My Smash files are on my pendrive. Nonetheless, I have the digital copy of DK Country Returns on it too, and have been playing with no problems.
The error also shows up if I try to move the save/update from my USB to internal memory.

I'll do further testing soon. But if I'm getting the same or a similar error everyone is getting for their internal memory, but for my USB memory, that means it's NOT a hardware failure, as in not a faulty chip. Something is wrong with the game data, or the way the game handles the data, because other games work just fine, and so far I haven't lost information (so far).

This is really weird, and annoying, I just want to play Smash...

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
When did they tell you that? Because it is possible that when you contacted them, they rep didn't know of the issue yet.
I called Nintendo Customer Support in Washington the day before the Rep made her statement. If this is a hardware fix, I was told $104.98 would be the total after repairs are complete. As for right now, I'm waiting on Nintendo's next course of action, now that they have acknowledged the issue.

Xyekenvort

Smash Rookie
I had the incredible fortune of the error popping up AT THE VERY LAST DAY of my warranty's deadline =P

I was able to send it for repair without paying a nickle. It sucks that i'll lose every single save I had on the system, but I honestly don't care at this point. I just want it to be fixed, and play some freakin' SMASH!! :D

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
I called Nintendo Customer Support in Washington the day before the Rep made her statement. If this is a hardware fix, I was told $104.98 would be the total after repairs are complete. As for right now, I'm waiting on Nintendo's next course of action, now that they have acknowledged the issue.
I have a friend who works for Nintendo customer service in Seattle and he told me that they are fixing the systems that have the error for free. I'd give them another call and see what they tell you.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I have a friend who works for Nintendo customer service in Seattle and he told me that they are fixing the systems that have the error for free. I'd give them another call and see what they tell you.
Cool, I'll call again and see what they say.

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
So... if it didn't happen after a few days of For Glory matches or a whole year with other games - can it still happen to me? I hope they can fix/prevent it with a firmware update and not that it's something hardware-specific...

Top Bottom