• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Well, since no one 100% knows what is causing this, I am gonna go back to the 3ds version for a week or so. Should be hearing an official statement by then.

IFC Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
I love how I ordered my Wii u with smash about an hour before I found out about this.. if it doesn't get fixed by the time it gets here I'm playing 3ds still.

Mordo

Smash Rookie
ahhh I see but you know you can get downloaded games back I think
I think I only had Pikmin 3 downloaded and hadn't started it yet. Everything else I have is physical copies.

Is there any chance that there is a connection between amiibo and the error?
Do we know if people who have this error have also used amiibo ?
I didn't use an amiibo on my system.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just got off a for Glory winstreak and heard about this. :crazy:
My Wii U is safe, thankfully.

Looking back, we had a similar ordeal with MK8, and the problem was revealed to be people just turning the game off instead of backing out properly. It was never fixed, correct? I think we're fine, but I'll be laying low on SSB for a day or two.

KingRedCastle

Smash Rookie
I played "For Glory" for hours, yesterday. After I got frustrated with Edge Hounds, I went to Classic Mode, just to wind down. I also noticed that there were some Miis that I wanted to get rid of. I went into "data management", forgetting all I had to do was click on the "Mii" thing.
In any case, It still works fine. I've updated to the latest version, played online a bit... The only error I've experienced is "Disconnected from internet".
I suppose, until Nintendo releases a fix for it, It's probably safe to stay Off Line. Well, I've still got a lot of characters to play through classic with...

Last edited:

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
I've uploaded a followup YouTube video going in depth over everything that has been discussed, mentioned, or thought of regarding this problem; with visual tests and showcases of the errors. If you have anything else to add or have discovered feel free to share anything, all discussions are welcome.

The video can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IDNCMqfU5k&feature=youtu.be

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So how do you disconnect the wii-u from the internet?

gamestationpro

Smash Cadet
NNID
gamestationpro
3DS FC
1993-8204-9756
does anyone know if this is connected with the wii u firmware update released today? my wii u just updated to version 5.3.1 u after i just finished playing smash a few minutes ago. i'm too afraid to turn my wii u back on for science.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
does anyone know if this is connected with the wii u firmware update released today? my wii u just updated to version 5.3.1 u after i just finished playing smash a few minutes ago. i'm too afraid to turn my wii u back on for science.
People have updated their Wii Us to 5.3.1 and booted Smash with no issues at all. I'm one of them.

But it's your call.

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
This is an unfortunate error, and I'm sure Nintendo is aware of this and is on the case. I hope they release a statement on this soon.

On a side note, guys you don't have to stop playing the game, this is happening to a small percent compared to the many copies of sm4sh sold. If the paranoia bothers you, you should be safe playing the game regularly and turning it off at the title screen, and not anywhere else. This is what I'm doing.

If this absolutely bothers you to the point of uncontrollable fear and frustration, then play It safe and don't play... that's perfectly fine too. I just think the chances of getting this deadly error is way too low to prevent me from settling things in smash.

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any error codes or bricked consoles that you may or may not have gotten after reading my post kthxbye :D

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
So I picked something important here

That users claims he could play the game again in another account.

I suppose accounts use different save files. If so, the save file is the one being corrupt, so playing it on another account should be able to play the game again like it was new?

I know its a bummer from people who unlocked everything and challenges, etc. or who have downloaded stuff.
But it seems if you want to play again, you could use another account (that is, if you can make one after the error appears) but the risk of getting the error again is still there.
Why didn't anyone noticed this post?? It's quite relevant...

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
Guys, quick question. If when I get the game (soon) I put the game update and the game save data in a USB stick, I should be in the clear, right? I mean, if the game update or save gets corrupted, I can just take the USB stick out and the internal memory should be fine, right?

Last edited:

Zevenberge

Smash Rookie
Good thing Nintendo has made a statement. Just to share, I and someone else on GAF made an estimate on the errors. If it wasn't Smash, 0.00015% to 0.0015% is affected (100-1000 on 7 million Wii Us). If Smash somehow induces this error (causes it to pop up more often than other games), the odds are upped to 0.01% to 0.1% (1 million copies of Smash sold).

Taking into account Gridattack's post, it could be that Smash's autosave causes save file corruption (no idea how the update data can be corrupted). In that case, Nintendo will probably patch a better save algorithm.
Nevertheless, the problems seem to be pretty varied. I'm not fully up to date anymore, but it seems like on one end, the problems are pointing to defective Wii U, while on the other end, Smash seems to be inducing the errors.

I played like three hours of Smash yesterday without any problems, 5.3.1E, 1.0, etc.. (Well, the only problem was that I played when I was supposed to be sleeping, but I doubt Nintendo will patch my work hours.)

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
Guys, quick question. If when I get the game (soon) I put the game update and the game save data in a USB stick, I should be in the clear, right? I mean, if the game update or save gets corrupted, I can just take the USB stick out and the internal memory should be fine, right?
That's what I'll be doing today after I get it by mail.Start the game, exit, move all SSB stuff on a 1GB disposable pendrive
Play the **** out of itIt still could get corrupted, as this happened to the German guy here...I'd lose all save data but at least it doesn't mess up the console itself.

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
I have some kind of theory regarding this error on DIGITAL copies of the game (or at least mine).

The corrupt thing is the game file itself, seeing as that is the only piece of game data on data management that I cannot delete and triggers a "system memory" error upon trying to, I can delete the saves (haven't tried the shared one as I don't wanna lose my progress) and update data, but when I tried deleting the game file (10 GB) it almost inmmediately gives me a system memory error. Since I cannot delete it I cannot re-download it to test my theory.

If you ask me the way in which the system handles data management is very inconvenient as for example in my case I'm screwed until Nintendo implements a way to get rid of a corrupted file without the system asking you to power it off and not allowing you to do anything else. If you power it down you'll just experience it again and again.

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
I have some kind of theory regarding this error on DIGITAL copies of the game (or at least mine).

The corrupt thing is the game file itself, seeing as that is the only piece of game data on data management that I cannot delete and triggers a "system memory" error upon trying to, I can delete the saves (haven't tried the shared one as I don't wanna lose my progress) and update data, but when I tried deleting the game file (10 GB) it almost inmmediately gives me a system memory error. Since I cannot delete it I cannot re-download it to test my theory.

If you ask me the way in which the system handles data management is very inconvenient as for example in my case I'm screwed until Nintendo implements a way to get rid of a corrupted file without the system asking you to power it off and not allowing you to do anything else. If you power it down you'll just experience it again and again.
I'm pretty sure on digital the update file goes INSIDE the game file...so that's why it appears the whole game file is corrupted.But that's my guess. Do you see a separate Update Files in the memory overview?

LifeCarrier

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure on digital the update file goes INSIDE the game file...so that's why it appears the whole game file is corrupted.But that's my guess. Do you see a separate Update Files in the memory overview?
I do, it's listed as a separate 81MB file, I've deleted it already and downloaded it again.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
This is likely a system memory issue, not a Smash one.
Think of it like when Brawl came out and some systems couldn't read the dual-layer discs.
Nintendo is apparently aware of the issue and fixing consoles for free if they get the error.
It's likely that your console is faulty. There is really no reason to stop playing anything.

RandomNickname

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flori2000
Is there any chance that there is a connection between amiibo and the error?
Do we know if people who have this error have also used amiibo ?
Sorry if this was already answered and I voerlooked it, but it definitely isn't amiibo, since this error already happened to ppl in early 2013, long before amiibos were a thing (ofc on other games, but EC and symptoms were the same)

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Seems like this is why everyone warns you to not turn off the console while it is saving.
Then they need to update the games to clearly show an auto-save feature so it's really clear for the player that the game is saving. I think it's something deeper than just an save function.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
Then they need to update the games to clearly show an auto-save feature so it's really clear for the player that the game is saving. I think it's something deeper than just an save function.
Something deeper? Probably. But it's most likely something faulty with the flash memory and the fact that Smash saves so often probably triggers it faster.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Something deeper? Probably. But it's most likely something faulty with the flash memory and the fact that Smash saves so often probably triggers it faster.
Ye maybe, I would like to know if the internet connection might have something to do with this. Is there someone with the error that was playing without internet access at all on their Wii U?
I know that this is most likely not the source of the error but would still like to know so we can rule that option out.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
Ye maybe, I would like to know if the internet connection might have something to do with this. Is there someone with the error that was playing without internet access at all on their Wii U?
I know that this is most likely not the source of the error but would still like to know so we can rule that option out.
People who were playing offline reported the problem as well. My best guess (and please understand, I'm not an expert here, just looking at all the facts) is that because when you are online, GSP gets updated and pretty much everything you do in online matches gets saved, the odds of triggering the faulty flash chip multiply. Again, just my best guess, but with the evidence that we have, it seems likely.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
People who were playing offline reported the problem as well. My best guess (and please understand, I'm not an expert here, just looking at all the facts) is that because when you are online, GSP gets updated and pretty much everything you do in online matches gets saved, the odds of triggering the faulty flash chip multiply. Again, just my best guess, but with the evidence that we have, it seems likely.
Yes I know people have been reporting getting the error during offline play, but I would like to know if someone got the error without even having access to an internet connection at all. You can still play offline while being on a wireless/wired connection. I still think it's a software issue and not a hardware problem. Like something in the code gets messed up which leads to the system can't communicate with the memory. I'm no expert either so I may be way off now.

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
Yes I know people have been reporting getting the error during offline play, but I would like to know if someone got the error without even having access to an internet connection at all. You can still play offline while being on a wireless/wired connection. I still think it's a software issue and not a hardware problem. Like something in the code gets messed up which leads to the system can't communicate with the memory. I'm no expert either so I may be way off now.
We are probably both super wrong, lol.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
For me it isn't a save-data issue. So autosaving had nothing to do with it.
It is an update-data issue. Check out the OP.

Last edited:

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
Yeah, I see that.
The "160-" is a system memory issue though, so it likely has something to do with the internal memory of the WiiU itself that happens to be clashing with Save or Update data.

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I can create as may save files as I want and delete them all day and I get no error, but as soon as I try to delete the update data. I get the error. So, I think the autosaving theory is bogus.
It's good if you don't want to corrupt your save data, but it isn't causing the error.

Saltwater Gem

Smash Journeyman
Well this is poop. Gonna let the Wii U take a breather until Nintendo sorts this out. Between sending my Wii U in for repairs (warranty is out, so paying for your broken mess will be on my tab, Nintendo) and losing all the trophies and junk I accumulated, I'd rather just wait it out. Hopefully there's some kind of patch Nintendo can implement and it isn't an inherent hardware flaw that will just randomly kill our game at some inevitable moment.

Top Bottom