• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

Mordo

Smash Rookie
Most cases I've heard have wiped their systems clean of memory entirely. I've yet to hear a happy ending for people who've looked to preserve their over hundred-hour progress in games. I do hope the best for you.
Thank you. I'll certainly keep yall updated once I get it back. Luckily seeing a post earlier here reminded me to at least back up the stuff on my SD card. We'll just have to see what happens when I get it back. I assume it's too early to tell how many people have sent theirs in with this same error and what the results have been?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Thank you. I'll certainly keep yall updated once I get it back. Luckily seeing a post earlier here reminded me to at least back up the stuff on my SD card. We'll just have to see what happens when I get it back. I assume it's too early to tell how many people have sent theirs in with this same error and what the results have been?
I wouldnt try moving anything with this going on. I think if you even touch the save file your screwed

Mordo

Smash Rookie
I wouldnt try moving anything with this going on. I think if you even touch the save file your screwed
I already had the error and was sending it in to Nintendo to either have the slim chance they could save it, or lose everything anyway. I had nothing to lose by copying the minimal SD files I had elsewhere.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
I would strongly rule against paying for any repairs when nobody knows exactly what's causing these kind of problems. It's all just speculations right now. If you can't play on your Wii U that really stink but try to hold on for a couple of days before we get an official statement.

Edit; Some people are reporting having to wait 3-4 weeks before they get their Wii U back from repairs so maybe waiting for a firmware update is a better idea.

Last edited:

Sanastro

Smash Rookie
Is there any chance that there is a connection between amiibo and the error?
Do we know if people who have this error have also used amiibo ?

Ninpalk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninpalk
3DS FC
2148-8192-8931
Does anyone know what causes this? I was wondering if I don't go on for glory...or don't play online...if I could still play and not get the error code.

BeatMax Sakuraba

Smash Cadet
NNID
Neku2012
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
So...here's my current standing.
Wii U - Basic 8GB(Using 8GB Flash Drive for extra data)
Have brought almost every Wii U game that interests me at Release Date, including Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, and Smash
Brought 2 Christmases ago.
At the current version(5.3.1 U)
At the current version for both Hyrule Warriors(1.4.0 with DLC) and Mario Kart 8(3.0 with DLC). Not sure about Smash
Ver. 1.0.1 - Played fine for me. Only errors I got was when my internet was acting up and I couldn't connect, or when my internet was weak after leaving a room.
Ver. 1.0.2 - Unknown.
Am I safe? Or am I a Time Bomb?

F.Y.I - I sent this thread to a friend of mine, who works close with Nintendo. I've told him everything I've seen so far. He will get this to them so that they know how big of a problem this is. Will get word back soon.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
The game has only been out 4 days for me, last I played was last night, I don't remember how I turned the game off, but I was playing some online, I don't disconnect or quit ingame matches, I either turned it off on the main menu or the title screen.

Although I should really quit to the Wii U menu and turn it off, I haven't turned it on since and am now kinda paranoid.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I wonder, if this is really an online error, or have people being getting this error when playing offline/locally too?

BeatMax Sakuraba

Smash Cadet
NNID
Neku2012
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
The game has only been out 4 days for me, last I played was last night, I don't remember how I turned the game off, but I was playing some online, I don't disconnect or quit ingame matches, I either turned it off on the main menu or the title screen.

Although I should really quit to the Wii U menu and turn it off, I haven't turned it on since and am now kinda paranoid.
Well...I don't know what to tell you there. Just hope you're lucky like I am. XD

I wonder, if this is really an online error, or have people being getting this error when playing offline/locally too?
According to Reddit, some have gotten it offline too, more in modes other than Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
That thought have crossed my mind as well that the NFC update may have something to do with the system-memory. Also come to think of it, I had some trouble back at the GameCube days with Smash Melee that when I was "to fast" and jumped back and forth between menus the games auto-save function got glitched and my save got corrupted. Maybe this can be something similar where the game auto-update your stats by communicating to the server and when you are done playing and pressing B a couple of times to get back to the start the game tries to auto-update then while it does it in the background you're shutting down your game/console. Just a thought!

Does anyone know what causes this? I was wondering if I don't go on for glory...or don't play online...if I could still play and not get the error code.
We don't know yet what's causing this but people have reported getting this error both from online and offline matches, even other games except smash! Some people seem to think that this error has always been a problem while some believe that a recent update is causing/ have made this error a more common problem so as of right now it's impossible to tell exactly why some peoples systems is failing.

Edit; Link to miiverse with the problem.
"https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhgwso3CQ"

Last edited by a moderator:

BeatMax Sakuraba

Smash Cadet
NNID
Neku2012
3DS FC
3093-7612-8482
We don't know yet what's causing this but people have reported getting this error both from online and offline matches, even other games except smash! Some people seem to think that this error has always been a problem while some believe that a recent update is causing/ have made this error a more common problem so as of right now it's impossible to tell exactly why some peoples systems is failing.

There's also a chance that their Wii Us could be one of the defects.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I decided to pick up the courage to update my console version from 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 about 10 minutes ago As I was sure it isn't the system update which is causing these errors, and I felt like being a daredevil.

I had a heart stopping moment as it loaded, I thought it took a split second longer than usual to load, but it probably took the same time as normal.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I decided to pick up the courage to update my console version from 5.3.0 to 5.3.1 about 10 minutes ago As I was sure it isn't the system update which is causing these errors, and I felt like being a daredevil.

I had a heart stopping moment as it loaded, I thought it took a split second longer than usual to load, but it probably took the same time as normal.
And now I think i'm switching this thing off until next update, just incase 5.3.1 is the problem :p

PimpCode

Smash Rookie

Have you tried playing any games yet on the new firmware?

Edit; "And now I think i'm switching this thing off until next update, just incase 5.3.1 is the problem :p"

Sorry saw that post now!

Last edited:

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
I have the error and do not own nor have ever used an amiibo on it before.

Last edited:

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
The unlucky people who have received this error have you in any way been using amiibos?

Last edited:

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Have you tried playing any games yet on the new firmware?

Edit; "And now I think i'm switching this thing off until next update, just incase 5.3.1 is the problem :p"

Sorry saw that post now!
No worries, All I have done is boot the game up and leave title screen since update.

Probably the stupidest thing to do (bar deleting update data from smash data management) Worth it to provide you guys some abeit little information though :)

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
No worries, All I have done is boot the game up and leave title screen since update.

Probably the stupidest thing to do (bar deleting update data from smash data management) Worth it to provide you guys some abeit little information though :)
Livin'on the edge huh ;)

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Sorry, I typed 4 instead of 3.
So, yeah I'm going to wait a few days to see if anything happens. If not I'm sending it in for repairs. And if the issue continues then I will go through the steps to get a refund on the repairs. Even the process for you guys might vary(seeing as mine is not under warranty)
calling Customer support will at least have the error documented in their system. And you can see what your repair cost may be, if you decide to go down that road.
But I have:
-An Old Deluxe Wii U 32gb
-No Amiibos
-downloaded various titles(which play fine)
-Disk-version of Smash(bundle)
-version 5.3.1 U(crashed during 5.2.0)
-The save data is fine
-Smash Wii U update data crashes system(can not be modified or deleted)
My issues began after challenge mode, I came back and tried Smash local mode, then my game crashed. Now every mode crashes.
So, yeah, an update fix would be great, but everyone should call and let Nintendo know about the issue if the have it. But just being on Smashboards isn't going help let Nintendo know about this issue.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
How do you find out when your wii u was made?

I went to system environment and none of this HATA, FEH and WUP makes sense to me. No date there

So I checked Daily Log and it dates back to March last year, that sounds about right

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
I'm going to be trying to make a video shortly to go over all the information that has been gathered and try to piece things together to make sense from what's happened so far.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I dont know really. I guess it is by the time you bought it or the bundle you have.

I have the deluxe new super mario wii u set. I guess its old by now. Im afraid since its old I might get the error :<

But perhaps is, the people who got the error,have they used their wii us extensively? That reddit post mentions it could be faulty hardware, so the wear of use might affect?

Thought the day you bought it doesnt mean its close by, it could be an old console that was stored until you decided to buy it off.

I guess the newer models would be the ones with the mario 3d world bundle.

Last edited:

SmashBall2012

Smash Rookie
NNID
MH1994
I didn't run into the codes yet. After I heard about the issues, I simply started the game up and played just one match with me and 3 CPU's. After that I quit the game via the home menu and turned off the system.

Should I delete the update data that's some what involved with this problem or should I wait for a patch? I really don't want my Wii U to die out on me.

EDIT: I should mention that I didn't run into the Error code when Playing Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World, and that I had my Wii U since Christmas of 2012.

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So I picked something important here (8th post):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/68203758

That users claims he could play the game again in another account.

I suppose accounts use different save files. If so, the save file is the one being corrupt, so playing it on another account should be able to play the game again like it was new?

I know its a bummer from people who unlocked everything and challenges, etc. or who have downloaded stuff.
But it seems if you want to play again, you could use another account (that is, if you can make one after the error appears) but the risk of getting the error again is still there.

Last edited:

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
I didn't run into the codes yet. After I heard about the issues, I simply started the game up and played just one match with me and 3 CPU's. After that I quit the game via the home menu and turned off the system.

Should I delete the update data that's somwhat involved with this problem or should I wait for a patch? I really don't want my Wii U to die out on me.
No, don't delete game update data. People are saying doing that makes the error worse and completely bricks the console.

Just close your software, delete connection settings to internet and don't play your wii until nintendo are aware and release a fix for the situation.

Last edited:

SmashBall2012

Smash Rookie
NNID
MH1994
No, don't delete game update data. People are saying doing that makes the error worse and completely bricks the console.
Got it. I went into the data management page beforehand and it didn't freeze or give me an error code whatsoever, so I guess that I means i'm waiting on a patch very soon.

PimpCode

Smash Rookie
Got it. I went into the data management page beforehand and it didn't freeze or give me an error code whatsoever, so I guess that I means i'm waiting on a patch very soon.
We don't even know if we need a patch. For all we know this could be an isolated hardware problem that only effect certain Wii U's created during a certain point in production.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
~ Never quitted to the main menu title to shutdown wii U (might start doing it... woops), just exit a menu, wait for some seconds and then shut it down using the gamepad power button.
Why is it that Everyone is shutting the wii u down in game and NO ONE is going to the Wii u home screen then shutting the system down

Last edited:

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone gotten the Error code while their Wii U has no Updates, like a straight out of the Box Wii U without that first Mandatory update? Was thinking of getting a Wii U and not connecting it to the Internet nor Updating it until this issue is fixed.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Has anyone gotten the Error code while their Wii U has no Updates, like a straight out of the Box Wii U without that first Mandatory update? Was thinking of getting a Wii U and not connecting it to the Internet nor Updating it until this issue is fixed.
If you try and launch a game on an older system, the game will update your wii u for you if need be.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Hello everyone! While I am lucky enough not to get this error code, I did a quick check out of curiosity on the internet on other message boards regarding that error code when people get it playing other games. It seems like when other people get it in other games, the error occurs when they turn off the system when the game is trying to autosave data. I checked and realized that in the main menus in Smash that there are no indicators of when the game is trying to load or save data, minus the loading screens when entering and exiting a match. Possibly, the game could be saving something in the background without the user knowing it, and if the user turns off the system while doing so, it could corrupt the game data.

All this is theoretical and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would connect some of the points made by other users in this thread on how Smash is causing the issue and how other games work fine.
I'm actually thinking this could be the case, or at least part of it. Some of the people in the past that I've seen who have had this error are people playing MK8 or Assassin's Creed 3 / 4 (both use auto-save in-game quite often), and have admitted to shutting the game off either in-game, or in a menu that potentially uses auto-save, and could have corrupted their data. I've personally not received this error as of yet, but I'm not taking my chances (glad that I'm leaving tomorrow for a week). I love Smash, but not enough to brick a system over.

Regardless of if our theory is correct or way off (note that being unable to delete the data could probably be a whole other issue), it is still highly advised that in this day and age, people exit a game completely (title screen and go to the Wii U's home menu), before shutting it down. Many games now use auto-save functions, and sometimes they're not where you think they'd be.

Hope there will be news soon... This is terrible for those affected, and very bad timing for Nintendo.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
Exiting mid game would only harm Save-Data, not update-data.
So exiting and corrupting the save file would have nothing to do with many of the users' problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom