• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
So, from what I've already read. The System can only be bricked if you were to format it correct?

Raging_Zoroark

Smash Rookie
Ok, I just got the error... but not on Smash 4

I bought smash 4 yesterday. Played about 2 hours on classic mode and versus with CPU. Then I stop playing smash and started playing Wii Fit U. Today I did exactaly the same thing, but when I booted the Wii Fit U the problem appeared. Now I can't play this game anymore. Went to the data storage and tried to delete the atualization data for Wii Fit U and couldn't (a message of error ocurred). Tried to play smash and everything went fine. Also tested Super Mario Bros U and no error ocurred.

Wii U black deluxe set (with super Mario U included) 32 GB
I have internet connections, but never tried to play smash online
No USB card
No Amiibo
Physical copy

Last edited:

SmashBall2012

Smash Rookie
NNID
MH1994
I don't have the error code as of now, but here are my Wii U details in case I ever run into the error code:

-Black Wii U with 32 GB (Received as a Christmas gift in 2012)
-All Save data is stored in the Wii U. No USB Drives Whatsoever
-SD Card is inserted only for the Smash Bros screenshots.
-No Amiibo yet.
-Physical copy of Smash Bros.
-I do have an internet connection running off my laptop, but I only went online ONCE for a For Fun match which lagged horribly. I hardly had the internet connection running when playing Smash Bros for the most part.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace

I bought smash 4 yesterday. Played about 2 hours on classic mode and versus with CPU. Then I stop playing smash and started playing Wii Fit U. Today I did exactaly the same thing, but when I booted the Wii Fit U the problem appeared. Now I can't play this game anymore. Went to the data storage and tried to delete the atualization data for Wii Fit U and couldn't (a message of error ocurred). Tried to play smash and everything went fine. Also tested Super Mario Bros U and no error ocurred.
More proof that this error is also happening on other games and it's not Smash that's causing it. It's the system that's causing certain games to stop working. Why hasn't Nintendo caught on this until now?

Guidantar

Smash Rookie

Wii U black deluxe set (with super Mario U included) 32 GB
I have internet connections, but never tried to play smash online
No USB card
No Amiibo
Physical copy
Ok. This is deffo what some ppl need to realise. It's not 100% 'game' related. It must be a system fault somewhere.

Can I just ask... how did you shut down your Wii U? Did you close the software first? Or did you power down the Wii U mid game, or while in the Wii Fit Menus?

Sorry to hear you have this error.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
If your system is working fine, posting your data isn't going to help.
If you have the issue feel free; otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

This error is being worked on by Nintendo at the moment, they say this is only affecting a small group of Wii U users. If you are worried go to Miiverse, get the # that Nintendo Rep Julie posted and get the help if your system is experiencing the error.

So, everyone not experiencing the issue, you are fine. If you do get the error code, don't panic, DO NOT format your system, even if Customer Service tells you to. Tell them that you have hear that it is known to brick systems. So everyone PLEASE calm down Nintendo is working on the problem as we speak.

Fede24

Smash Rookie
More proof that this error is also happening on other games and it's not Smash that's causing it. It's the system that's causing certain games to stop working. Why hasn't Nintendo caught on this until now?
Because no one had a Wii U until now... or nobody really used it... and it must be something very in particular...

For example, my error may be out of using an USB pendrive... But then again other USB games work just fine... So it's some corrupt data thing.

Raging_Zoroark

Smash Rookie
Ok. This is deffo what some ppl need to realise. It's not 100% 'game' related. It must be a system fault somewhere.

Can I just ask... how did you shut down your Wii U? Did you close the software first? Or did you power down the Wii U mid game, or while in the Wii Fit Menus?

Sorry to hear you have this error.
I always go back to WiiU menu screen before turning the power off.

Last edited:

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
I always go back to WiiU menu screen before turning the power off.
It isn't an auto saving issue.
Quitting while the game is saving can corrupt Save Data; but, for many users(including myself) There is a problem with the Update Data, which is has no bearing on the Save Data. Quitting while saving is bad, but (as many users have stated) this isn't causing the error.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I really don't think the glitch and the game are significantly related, and Nintendo hasn't said anything they haven't said before. It may just be an issue for specific Wii Us, or maybe all of them. Regardless, it doesn't seem any more widespread then before.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Iif the issue is hardware related, I hope it can atleast be circumvented via a firmware update.

MrSirSteven

Smash Journeyman
Not yet. I was busy today. I will be calling again tomorrow.
Just out of curiosity, if I were to buy a Wii U and get a Warranty from EB Games. Does that mean I'd have to bring it to EB for them to send it to Nintendo?

Mordo

Smash Rookie
Just out of curiosity, if I were to buy a Wii U and get a Warranty from EB Games. Does that mean I'd have to bring it to EB for them to send it to Nintendo?
Since it appears to work like it does for GameStop, there's the automatic 30 day warranty where if anything goes wrong you bring it back to them and they replace it on the spot. If you by the warranty from EB, they then will replace it if anything goes wrong for the next year. But with all of that in mind, replacing means they wouldn't be sending it to Nintendo to get it fixed for you or anything like that. They just hand you a new one.

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
Nintendo released a new Wii U update (5.3.2), is this fixed now?

The changelog is just "stability" so I guess we can now put the Wii U on its side and give it a kick and it won't fall but maybe they also fixed this

Last edited:

Zevenberge

Smash Rookie
Your error got upgraded by 2! It is unfortunate that this does not fix it for you (or for anyone experiencing the error), but I guess this confirms that the update is related to the error.

Does the error still behave the same? They could have just changed the number, after all.

Edit: It appears this is an issue with an external HDD: http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comment..._code_1600105/

Last edited:

kingalex123241

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my external pendrive. I have seen this post and other posts like that before I got here, but they didn't helped me at all. I found a post about the error-code 160-4172 which was solved. I did what they said, my pendrive works fine, except for Smash Bros. So everything is fine with my Wii U, but when it comes to Smash Bros it just crashes :/

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my external pendrive. I have seen this post and other posts like that before I got here, but they didn't helped me at all. I found a post about the error-code 160-4172 which was solved. I did what they said, my pendrive works fine, except for Smash Bros. So everything is fine with my Wii U, but when it comes to Smash Bros it just crashes :/
And what happen if you try ssb without your pendrive plugged? Does it still crash?

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
They will just give you a new system. Unfortunately, this means that you will lose all your save data.

kingalex123241

Smash Rookie
So i started a new safe file and everything seems fine by now. It's really ****ty to loose all my data, but if it works now I'm ok.
Could it happen, that I get this error again, because my Wii U is one of the 1% ones? I now have smash bros installed directly in the Wii U storage without any external memory plugged in.

Fede24

Smash Rookie
So i started a new safe file and everything seems fine by now. It's really ****ty to loose all my data, but if it works now I'm ok.
Could it happen, that I get this error again, because my Wii U is one of the 1% ones? I now have smash bros installed directly in the Wii U storage without any external memory plugged in.
You are in the same situation as me. My pendrive worked fine until the game randomly crashed and I get the same error code as you but when trying to play in Smash mode. But everything else works fine, including other USB games. This clearly demonstates there is an issue with how the game handles data, and it's causing random corruption. But I'm afraid to start a new save file in my internal memory only for it to be corrupted again or ruining the console, but at the same time I doubt Nintendo will fix corrupt save data :(

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
Copy your new file in a new pendrive?

DrRek

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rek
3DS FC
0318-9137-4424
So the new update appears to have fixed nothing for me. I get the same code as before 160-0103.
I'm running 5.3.2 U. But I am experiencing exactly the same error. But it looks like it's only in Smash. The Smash Bros. for Wii U Update Data is still unable to be deleted.

Last edited:

Raging_Zoroark

Smash Rookie
So the new update appears to have fixed nothing for me. I get the same code as before 160-0103.
I'm running 5.3.2 U. But I am experiencing exactly the same error. But it looks like it's only in Smash. The Smash Bros. for Wii U Update Data is still unable to be deleted.
Yeah, me too. Still getting error 160-0103 on the Wii Fit U and still can't delete update data.

kingalex123241

Smash Rookie
Why are so many of you saving onto external storage? (facepalm)
Because now my internal storage is literally FULL. I have Tekken and Monster Hunter downloaded from the eShop and virtual copies of games are really big, compared to the normal safe data from retail versions. I have 200 MB left on my Wii U and this is not much^^

XeroHour

Smash Rookie
NNID
XeroHour
So, my friend at Nintendo told me this: 5.3.2 won't fix the "160-" errors if you already have them, but it is to prevent future issues for people who have not gotten the error. They are still looking into the issue to see the cause and to see if they can reverse it.

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
So, my friend at Nintendo told me this: 5.3.2 won't fix the "160-" errors if you already have them, but it is to prevent future issues for people who have not gotten the error. They are still looking into the issue to see the cause and to see if they can reverse it.
This is good to know.Still going to play smash from my pendrive until they make an official statement.

Fede24

Smash Rookie
This is good to know.Still going to play smash from my pendrive until they make an official statement.
Be careful though... I did that and now I can't play with my savefile either... I mean, it won't **** up my internal memory, but still can't play...

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
So it seems I have survived this wii u apocalypse. Would be nice if nintendo would confirm the update fixes the problem of new people getting the error. I hope future updates get your consoles sorted asap, those who sent their wii u's to get fixed - good luck getting it back for xmas!

All the best!

Last edited:

Xharos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Xharos
3DS FC
0404-6432-5019
A friend of mine just got this error while downloading the Sonic Boom demo in a USB stick he was using for Smash save and update data. (the Wii U decided to download it in the USB stick automatically) He had 60 hours played in smash. Luckily the internal memory isn't affected. 5.3.2E.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Glad to hear. Still waiting for the official announcement though :(

Thanks for the head ups!

Also I wonder, will the wii u be fine if the save data is stored on an external memory? So if the case the error happens, will the external storage will be the one affected instead and the wii u will be safe?

Last edited:

Fede24

Smash Rookie
A friend of mine just got this error while downloading the Sonic Boom demo in a USB stick he was using for Smash save and update data. (the Wii U decided to download it in the USB stick automatically) He had 60 hours played in smash. Luckily the internal memory isn't affected. 5.3.2E.
Oh well, this is certainly getting interested... Wtf Nintendo...

Glad to hear. Still waiting for the official announcement though :(

Thanks for the head ups!

Also I wonder, will the wii u be fine if the save data is stored on an external memory? So if the case the error happens, will the external storage will be the one affected instead and the wii u will be safe?
Nobody knows... Nobody knows why the error shows up, nobody knows what it does, it's different for everyone...

Last edited:
Top Bottom