• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux For SSB4 DLC! Discussion moved to social group.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Oh god is it based on Sylux from that Japanese comic? (The one where Weavel is a girl for some reason)
I have no idea what you're talking about. :/

This was made completely originally, dude has an interesting art style.

D

Deleted member

Ahhh,
I have no idea what you're talking about. :/

This was made completely originally, dude has an interesting art style.
Ahh, I gotcha.

I meant this one: http://metroid-database.com/manga/index.php?vid=21&cid=72#manga_top

I had a pretty weird reaction to seeing Sylux drinking coffee in it :p Anyway, I'm sorry, I came off quite rudely. I got a bit over-excited, I'm sorry.

(http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=9893631 this image is also rather good)

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm getting the idea that if we get DLC in August or late July, that it might be Sylux's last chance as pre-ballot DLC. If it doesn't happen before the ballot results are taken in, then it's going to have hell when competing with the front runners.

Also it'd be pretty funny if Wolf came back and Sylux were revealed with him, though I imagine they'd get separate trailers like Roy and Ryu.

Ahhh,

Ahh, I gotcha.

I meant this one: http://metroid-database.com/manga/index.php?vid=21&cid=72#manga_top

I had a pretty weird reaction to seeing Sylux drinking coffee in it :p Anyway, I'm sorry, I came off quite rudely. I got a bit over-excited, I'm sorry.

(http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=9893631 this image is also rather good)
...okay, that's odd.

If those speech bubbles weren't in the way and I knew about it, this Sylux would be have been a damn good first contender for new avatar, lol.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm getting the idea that if we get DLC in August or late July, that it might be Sylux's last chance as pre-ballot DLC. If it doesn't happen before the ballot results are taken in, then it's going to have hell when competing with the front runners.

Also it'd be pretty funny if Wolf came back and Sylux were revealed with him, though I imagine they'd get separate trailers like Roy and Ryu.
I don't think Sylux will be preballot. There's only 2 preballot slots left and Sakurai hadn't even considered Sylux for Smash. He considered Chrom, Takamaru, and possibly a Rhythm Heaven character (which I think will be the last preballot).

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
hahasdca

I don't think Sylux will be preballot. There's only 2 preballot slots left and Sakurai hadn't even considered Sylux for Smash. He considered Chrom, Takamaru, and possibly a Rhythm Heaven character (which I think will be the last preballot).
And that's only what Sakurai has made it clear that he's considered. For all we know there's something else in the works.

Let's be honest, if the sound files weren't leaked, NOBODY would be thinking "hmm, Ryu? Sakurai is definitely considering that!"

You can't yield more than an educated guess in terms of speculation unless you have a consistent, long lasting leak(Gematsu until Chrom was shoved away), actual gameplay evidence(ESRB leak) or leaked files(Roy/Ryu).

I don't believe that Sylux has a good chance at being pre-ballot, but hey, speculation.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, the Mario slots in the data. There is two left after Lucas, Ryu, and Roy.
Hmm, my guess would be Wolf and Snake. But who knows...

That is strange that they used a Mario place holder for the DLC characters...

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Man, i have really to vote for Sylux now. Espcially because of @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A avatar. It's the really the best avatar ever! Seriously, i really want to vote for Sylux now!

D

Deleted member

Hey all,

I found possibly the highest quality version of the Hunters opening I've seen. I think it must have been taken from the official website, back in the day. There's something about the opening riff which makes me feel scared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmMpzxHTtmg

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey all,

I found possibly the highest quality version of the Hunters opening I've seen. I think it must have been taken from the official website, back in the day. There's something about the opening riff which makes me feel scared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmMpzxHTtmg
That subtitle in Sylux's intro demands to be made a title in the Wii U Boxing Ring screen.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Pardon the double, but that manga @WindGuru posted has a seriously prophetic panel in context.

famous.png

You can guess why.

In a way, Sylux was instantly made famous via confirmation of the Corruption cliffhanger; with it's mission being hunting Samus, and it's career just beginning, branching from that same confirmation.

Avatar-wise I had never heard of this manga before commissioning what I have now. How coincidental. :p

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Pardon the double, but that manga @WindGuru posted has a seriously prophetic panel in context.

You can guess why.

In a way, Sylux was instantly made famous via confirmation of the Corruption cliffhanger; with it's mission being hunting Samus, and it's career just beginning, branching from that same confirmation.

Avatar-wise I had never heard of this manga before commissioning what I have now. How coincidental. :p
lol I've read that Manga and I totally forgot that Sylux said that. Reading it now, it's like: "... funny you should say that, Sylux. *looks at Corruption*"

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I voted for Sylux! I hope the best for him now!:4samus:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.

View attachment 58378
You can guess why.

Ridley looked decripid as hell in that manga, I love the idea of a talking Ridley but I'm not sure its going to happen at this point.

Considering that Metroid: FF is suppose to build up to a Metroid sequel that focuses on the relationship between Sylux and Samus. Its almost garanteed that Sylux will make it in smash(Probably not smash 4 though), since the Metroid Series gets close to no representation in smash and Sakurai is seriously against the addition of Ridley.

I'm extremely excited for Sylux probably becoming a big important villain in the Metroid series now. I freaking love the idea of Samus constantly being attacked by hunters, it makes plenty of sense that many would want her dead.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ridley looked decrepit as hell in that manga, I love the idea of a talking Ridley but I'm not sure its going to happen at this point.

Considering that Metroid: FF is suppose to build up to a Metroid sequel that focuses on the relationship between Sylux and Samus. Its almost garanteed that Sylux will make it in smash(Probably not smash 4 though), since the Metroid Series gets close to no representation in smash and Sakurai is seriously against the addition of Ridley.

I'm extremely excited for Sylux probably becoming a big important villain in the Metroid series now. I freaking love the idea of Samus constantly being attacked by hunters, it makes plenty of sense that many would want her dead.
Talking Ridley would be odd as hell in Metroid. It's fine in the manga because it's, well, manga, but the games have already established it as an intelligent monster that roars. Talking would be way out of place.

I'd be wary of saying Sylux is (almost) guaranteed; it's true that in time Sylux will become much more popular due to this next Prime game, but popularity doesn't always gain inclusion(see: Dark Samus, countless Zelda characters), but Metroid-wise, unless the director changes for the next Smash, Sylux's competition Metroid-wise is basically nil, and in that aspect I will semi-agree on it's guaranteed status.

Prime 4: The Hunt.

All of my money.

lol I've read that Manga and I totally forgot that Sylux said that. Reading it now, it's like: "... funny you should say that, Sylux. *looks at Corruption*"
You have to wonder what the author thinks.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Talking Ridley would be odd as hell in Metroid. It's fine in the manga because it's, well, manga, but the games have already established it as an intelligent monster that roars. Talking would be way out of place.

I'd be wary of saying Sylux is (almost) guaranteed; it's true that in time Sylux will become much more popular due to this next Prime game, but popularity doesn't always gain inclusion(see: Dark Samus, countless Zelda characters), but Metroid-wise, unless the director changes for the next Smash, Sylux's competition Metroid-wise is basically nil, and in that aspect I will semi-agree on it's guaranteed status.

Prime 4: The Hunt.

All of my money.

You have to wonder what the author thinks.
Just to note that

Sakurai is claiming this will be his last smash bros games

And it may be are time to start throwing sylux votes now ballot characters are not being focus's on now.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just to note that

Sakurai is claiming this will be his last smash bros games

And it may be are time to start throwing sylux votes now ballot characters are not being focus's on now.
While nobody knows just how many votes are being thrown around, Sylux's chances may have taken a downfall after this interview. Unless you got everyone and their mom to vote for Sylux, the actual chances it'll be picked are minimal unless the team picks from the lower rungs of the ballot results or Sakurai had it planned(which is extremely unlikely).

As for the last Smash game part, consider that it may very well be Sakurai's last Smash game. This is an insanely popular series, after all, so another director would step up to take the helm with Sakurai's blessing and Sakurai looking on as a creative consultant, much like how J.J Abrams is directing Star Wars 7 with George Lucas as the creative consultant.

If Sylux makes it in as DLC, mission accomplished. If not, it has ground to stand on should Smash 5 come to exist, which may not be for another few years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ach, Omega Cannon or Delano 7...

One is a weapon Sylux desperately wanted (but might be too similar to Samus' own final smash?) and the other is his ship. Given that it's now infamous, I'd go for that, even though an Omega burst might be potentially cooler.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31

One is a weapon Sylux desperately wanted (but might be too similar to Samus' own final smash?) and the other is his ship. Given that it's now infamous, I'd go for that, even though an Omega burst might be potentially cooler.
Eh, I wouldn't call the Omega Cannon too similar. Samus' FS is a giant laser, whereas the Omega Cannon is a huge energy sphere that detonates on contact and makes a massive area of effect explosion made of several smaller spheres. The Omega Cannon is essentially a nuke, but it's energy based, and you can fire it from your little 'ol arm. It's quite possibly an even better "screw everything" weapon than Samus' completely made-up Zero Laser!

The Delano 7 would be a good choice, but only if it did something different, like a bombing run, or similar to the Star Fox team's Landmaster, just airborne and with different, more beam based weapons like in Hunters. Or they could copy Zero Suit Samus' Gunship FS with the 1st Person view and beams, but I'd rather see something new. Personally, the Omega Cannon sounds more fun to me, and maybe have Sylux just drop out of the Delano 7 for its intro. Then for the FS, maybe have the Omega Cannon pick-up appear, have Sylux grab it, and then jump onto its ship to simply get high-up off screen, and then fire directly down and... BOOM. Massive damage, massive knock-back. :D

As someone who plays the Twisted Metal series a lot, yes, I like blowing things up.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Worth pointing out that there's no "explode on touch projectile" or "helper" Final Smashes in this game.

An "explode on touch projectile" explains itself. Think of Ridley's fireball attack when he goes purple steroids on you, except that if it touches someone, they die instantly.

By "helper" Final Smashes I mean stuff like Brawl :pit:'s Palutena's Army or Brawl :dedede:'s Minion Army or whatever it's called. The Delano 7 appears and shoots fighters in a throwback to Hunters.

Brilliant on either end.

Coar, I like the idea of combining both the Delano and the Omega Cannon.

However, I must present to you the real reason to support Sylux in Smash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY_BD6X1f_U

:p
I DEMAND THIS BE MADE A GIF

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You know what? To hell with it. Add me as a supporter.

If we can't have Ridley, we should at least have the second best option available for a new Metroid rep. I'm sure Sylux could be a badass addition.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Eh, I wouldn't call the Omega Cannon too similar. Samus' FS is a giant laser, whereas the Omega Cannon is a huge energy sphere that detonates on contact and makes a massive area of effect explosion made of several smaller spheres. The Omega Cannon is essentially a nuke, but it's energy based, and you can fire it from your little 'ol arm. It's quite possibly an even better "screw everything" weapon than Samus' completely made-up Zero Laser!

The Delano 7 would be a good choice, but only if it did something different, like a bombing run, or similar to the Star Fox team's Landmaster, just airborne and with different, more beam based weapons like in Hunters. Or they could copy Zero Suit Samus' Gunship FS with the 1st Person view and beams, but I'd rather see something new. Personally, the Omega Cannon sounds more fun to me, and maybe have Sylux just drop out of the Delano 7 for its intro. Then for the FS, maybe have the Omega Cannon pick-up appear, have Sylux grab it, and then jump onto its ship to simply get high-up off screen, and then fire directly down and... BOOM. Massive damage, massive knock-back. :D

As someone who plays the Twisted Metal series a lot, yes, I like blowing things up.
Ow..man...Sylux is in my top 5 most wanted.
Im.voting for him now

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I remember posting something on Page 2 of this thread about some cut content from Hunters, which included a snippet of Sylux's theme intended to be an intro of sorts. I think that could be a good victory theme.

D

Deleted member

Another thing I thought might be worth mentioning: Samus' design in Smash4 comes from Other M, and there's very little influence from the Prime subseries in any of her moves (the morph ball drops physical bombs, instead of energy bombs for example). So maybe Sylux could be included to represent the Prime games. Now that Dark Samus is gone, Sylux is the future.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Another thing I thought might be worth mentioning: Samus' design in Smash4 comes from Other M, and there's very little influence from the Prime subseries in any of her moves (the morph ball drops physical bombs, instead of energy bombs for example). So maybe Sylux could be included to represent the Prime games. Now that Dark Samus is gone, Sylux is the future.
Considering that the Prime subseries was basically ignored with the exception of returning music, the Dark Samus AT, and new song Psycho Bits, I find this to be a comforting thought. However, therein lies the issue of Sakurai perhaps not seeing the Prime series as needing exposure besides music; which is odd considering that Psycho Bits was included over a Corruption or Echoes song.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What Prime Game do I meet Sylux in? Just wondering.
Metroid Prime Hunters on the Nintendo DS. It also appears at the end of Metroid Prime 3 Corruption, only if you get 100% of the game's items and missiles.
Yup.

And for only appearing in two games it's got quite the following.

Eventually, that number's going up to three.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Something else that's kind of cool about Sylux: he's thematically the opposite of Samus.

• Samus has "warm" colours (red, orange, yellow). Sylux wears "cold" colours (blue, navy, purple?)
  • Samus has a horizontal visor sight, Sylux has vertical
  • Samus' suit is made up of smooth curves and spheres. Sylux's suit is made up of jagged lines and seems asymmetrical.
  • Samus has Metroid blood (after Fusion) and could be thought to be a "metroid" (meaning "ultimate warrior" in the Chozo language) herself throughout the whole series. Sylux's Shock Coil beam is expliticly compared to a metroid's life sucking powers. (Thinking about it very loosely, "he" could be the metroid in Prime Hunters.)
  • Samus has major beef with the Space Pirates, Sylux with the Federation.
They're opposites, and that'd make a cool contrast in Smash.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I delayed replying to the above because Sylux's Rate Their Chances* day was yesterday, alongside veteran Solid Snake(hilarious that my prime DLC wishes are rated on the same day). Had a huge wall of text at the beginning of Sylux's rating period that appeared to be liked a lot and helped sway Sylux's chances for the better. Even with some adamant Ridley supporters rating low, these were the final results.

SYLUX
CHANCE: 9.78%
WANT: 31.98%

Not bad for an underdog. There is an audience for it. And it scored higher than both Ridley and Dark Samus in Chance. It still can't rival Ridley in Want, but that's still a very decent score.

Something else that's kind of cool about Sylux: he's thematically the opposite of Samus.

• Samus has "warm" colours (red, orange, yellow). Sylux wears "cold" colours (blue, navy, purple?)
  • Samus has a horizontal visor sight, Sylux has vertical
  • Samus' suit is made up of smooth curves and spheres. Sylux's suit is made up of jagged lines and seems asymmetrical.
  • Samus has Metroid blood (after Fusion) and could be thought to be a "metroid" (meaning "ultimate warrior" in the Chozo language) herself throughout the whole series. Sylux's Shock Coil beam is expliticly compared to a metroid's life sucking powers. (Thinking about it very loosely, "he" could be the metroid in Prime Hunters.)
  • Samus has major beef with the Space Pirates, Sylux with the Federation.
They're opposites, and that'd make a cool contrast in Smash.
That ain't half bad for an argument. The allusion to Sylux as a metroid in the Chozo sense really struck me.

*Forum game where a character's chances at entering Smash are rated by the community.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pterodactyl scream

I missed the vote.

Of course, that's what happens when you're no longer active in the Smash community I guess.

EDIT: Also would it really be that bad if Sylux was a clone of Samus? It takes a huge amount of time to make a completely original character (and balance them!) so right now I'd take three Luigified clones over one completely new character.

Top Bottom