• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The inklings aren't exactly who I'd want in Smash. But from the perspective of Nintendo, the Splatoon hype is huge and It shouldn't be a surprise if they decided to put them in Smash. I'm pretty sure they will sell.
Welp, for the record, at this point I'm pretty sure they're the only character that they could make that I would never buy.

That says a lot coming from a (character roster) completionist like me.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm a little appalled at the self-gratifying and fallaciously humble posts in the past two pages, clearly instigating others for attention. Sounds exactly like all these 'leakers.' There is nothing cute nor charming about intentionally provoking other members and then feigning ignorance.

I also do not understand holding off on a character for the new game. Smash will generate a tremendous amount of hype regardless of the identity of the first characters announced for it, lets not forget it was Smash that single-handedly won E3 2014 for them (with news, a tournament, and so much more). Nintendo does not need to go the route of diminishing their current game (which to me is on par wit disc locked DLC) to attempt to satisfy fans; those are the cheap tactics for which other companies are known.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Burruni Burruni Kirby in the big 4 before Donkey Kong? I can't agree with that, and I'm far from being a DK fan
Donkey Kong's sold more.
But Kirby's far more promoted as a big 4th for Nintendo.
It helps that Kirby doesn't have the issue of some just associating it as part of the Marioverse.

Edit: Also helps that Kirby's been more... consistent in popularity.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I think the TLOZ cast sucks in Smash. We got 3 unique characters out of 5. Link, Zelda, and Shiek. Toon Link and Ganondorf are clones. And the biggest surprise being Ganondorf, being his own character and the second biggest Nintendo villain.

I think it's time we got the Ganondorf we deserve

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think the TLOZ cast sucks in Smash. We got 3 unique characters out of 5. Link, Zelda, and Shiek. Toon Link and Ganondorf are clones. And the biggest surprise being Ganondorf, being his own character and the second biggest Nintendo villain.

The roster didn't have to suck, they just chose to create them that way. Both Toon Link and Ganondorf have so much potential to be the very opposite of clones. It's so disappointing that now they're stuck as clones.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I'm a little appalled at the self-gratifying and fallaciously humble posts in the past two pages, clearly instigating others for attention. Sounds exactly like all these 'leakers.' There is nothing cute nor charming about intentionally provoking other members and then feigning ignorance.

I also do not understand holding off on a character for the new game. Smash will generate a tremendous amount of hype regardless of the identity of the first characters announced for it, lets not forget it was Smash that single-handedly won E3 2014 for them (with news, a tournament, and so much more). Nintendo does not need to go the route of diminishing their current game (which to me is on par wit disc locked DLC) to attempt to satisfy fans; those are the cheap tactics for which other companies are known.
If you're talking about me, I wasn't intending to instigate anyone. I also wasn't aiming for any sort of attention, actually, for quite the opposite.

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice

Damn, demise should be at least a Ganondorf skin. If possible, even as a character. His design is way too badass. Btw, is it just me or the guy resembles somehow Akuma from Street Fighter?

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
The roster didn't have to suck, they just chose to create them that way. Both Toon Link and Ganondorf have so much potential to be the very opposite of clones. It's so disappointing that now they're stuck as clones.
That's what I meant, I guess I worded it wrong.
I'm seriously disappointed they didn't fix Ganondorf this time around but oh well.

Ezequieleste Ezequieleste There is a resemblance.

I think having Demise get a moveset that would've been ganondorf's is a pretty good idea.

He is the original Ganondorf, after all.

Last edited:

Ezequieleste

Smash Apprentice
Supersmashbrothers. Supersmashbrothers. lol not another generic swordsman, black marth lol (joking)
Imo, Demise would be awesome. A heavy swordsman, a more brutal, dark and wicked version of Ganon. Would love to play as him.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Is it wrong? Yes, because the throne is taken already. Bleh Pig Ganon, what an unlikable sob. Just put on smash balls and play ganondorf, if you really need your pig fix. He would be such a depressing slot for me, I so much prefer Ganondorf as a form it's hard to compare. Luckily I think his chances are slim for sm4sh. Ganondorf needs a more unique kit before they slap bacon in the game with a fully fleshed out legit Ganon kit. Ugh I'd be so disappointed.

No thanks Classic Ganon
Signed,
:ganondorfmelee::ganondorf::4ganondorf:

(I'd get over it I'm sure, but this is my initial opinion. There are very few characters I actually dislike as options, but this is easily one of them.)

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
I wanted to apologize to everyone for causing such an uproar. I am going through a lot as of late, and am facing the possibility of surgery ( I won't go into detail). I have lost a lot of sleep, and my emotions are out of whack. I hope you can all forgive me, and we can continue to have nice, genuine conversations.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What do you guys think was the best reveal trailer so far for the DLC characters?

Even though I was mostly excited to see Roy's trailer due to me wanting him badly, I gotta admit that Lucas had the best reveal trailer so far. His trailer just felt hype and really positive at the same time. Lucas wasn't really one of my most requested characters pre 4/1 Direct but I was sold on him after that reveal.

IMO, I would rank the reveal trailers like this...

1. Lucas
2. Roy
3. Mewtwo
4. Ryu

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's true, although if it's Splatoon-related why would they deactivate it now? Like yeah they're probably gonna release the Octolings/any other big new stuff soon (she's predicting around 4 new stages, new music, a bunch of new weapons/gear, and maybe even a new 1P campaign) but wouldn't it have been better for them to stop her sooner rather than later to try and stifle some of the gossip? I mean it wouldn't have worked and would've just made everything more suspicious but still

Meanwhile she only mentioned the new character(s) last night and gave probably one of the least-vague hints yet ("appears in a Wii U game", which cancels out quite a few choices like King K. Rool, she also said it isn't Bayonetta and isn't a veteran but I think those were stated before) which could definitely anger some higher-ups at Nintendo.

Again it's probably nothing Smash-related yeah, but it does seem a little weird, especially considering that big maintenance session is happening tomorrow (and almost definitely a Direct within the next few days)

Please god let there be a new mode, preferably a single-player/co-op one. Smash Wii U has had the worst single-player campaign since 64 (Melee had Adventure Mode and Break the Targets, and had the best take on Classic Mode in the series imo, Brawl had SSE, Break the Targets, Coin Launcher, and while its Classic Mode wasn't as good as Melee's it was still better than Smash 4's). and it's in dire, dire need of at least two new modes. Heck, they can even be old ones like Break the Targets and Smash Run (yes I could Smash Run as "old" since it's not in the Wii U version).
I have faith. I also agree with you on every count, for the 100pp that is worth.

Jeez, 20 characters?!? Don't you think that's a bit too high of an expectation. I mean maybe if the majority of them are clones.

Oh but I do agree on a possible new mode, that could be very feasible.
I dont expect 20 characters- but I expect, that after receiving half the development time of majority of Sakurai's base games, it is ludicrous to think so little will come. A year of Sakurai's life spent simply on 3 characters and some crappy costumes? I aware I am speaking in litote, but good lord, that is an irrational, though popular, opinion.

Exactly. Rareware did a poor knock-off of Ganon after their knock-off of Bowser they call K.Rool

Themz fightin' werds.

Donkey Kong's sold more.
But Kirby's far more promoted as a big 4th for Nintendo.
It helps that Kirby doesn't have the issue of some just associating it as part of the Marioverse.

Edit: Also helps that Kirby's been more... consistent in popularity.
What dictates popularity, exactly?
Sales? DK wins, especially in the ressurgence. Yet you say this is not the factor.
Targetted audience? Kirby is a mess in this regard.
Respected gameplay? Yeah... it is hit or miss.
I love Kirby; it is not more popular, and is in polarity with the word "consistent" on every level.

If you're talking about me, I wasn't intending to instigate anyone. I also wasn't aiming for any sort of attention, actually, for quite the opposite.
That, sir, is Bull****. I was speaking in regard to several people. Yet quite literally, here you are again, posting a message with no substance except to say that you do not want to continue the conversation. If you do not want the conversation, stop speaking- your actions speak far louder than anything I could say, and certainly more so than anything you *have* said.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As long as I get more stage music, I don't care who gets in aside from K. Rool at this point. :laugh:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Is it wrong? Yes, because the throne is taken already. Bleh Pig Ganon, what an unlikable sob.
Burruni Burruni you going to let this blasphemy slide?
Demise would balance out the TLOZ cast. 2 Links, 2 Zeldas and 2 Ganondorfs(?)
He's not technically Ganondorf though. Ganondorf was born imbued with Demise's hatred, that's their one link.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Donkey Kong is part of the Mario universe.
I actually think that's maybe one the reasons why DK's representation is not that good in Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Burruni Burruni you going to let this blasphemy slide?

He's not technically Ganondorf though. Ganondorf was born imbued with Demise's hatred, that's their one link.
:link64: Pun coming.....

People keep calling K. Rool an ugly Bowser clone.

Getting haters with ridiculous claims is the proof you're getting somewhere :^)
This thread is turning into a group of MarioTehPlumbers.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Still more balanced than 3 Zeldas no?
3 Zeldas?
I don't want Tetra as a character, not interested in 3 Zeldas. Or two Sheiks (Impa). Although Impa as a Sheik semi-clone is a worthy investment.
Then both of those characters are represented just fine.

Ganon/dorf, however, has a lot of room for improvement. I don't care how he gets there, I just want him to be better represented.
I'm partial to Pig Ganon getting in though, as it preserves Falcondorf while representing the classic Zelda games.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
If anyone from Zelda should get in it should be Impa and/or Tetra. Classic Ganon wouldn't be too bad, although he's kinda creepy and gross looking...
Seems kind of arbitrary to add a character simply to "balance out" a series. Sounds exactly like the same thinking that got people to join the Sceptile bandwagon in the first place. Each character addition should be warranted on their own, not based around stuff like "it would help with roster symmetry" when literally no such thing exists.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
3 Zeldas?
I don't want Tetra as a character, not interested in 3 Zeldas. Or two Sheiks (Impa). Although Impa as a Sheik semi-clone is a worthy investment.
Then both of those characters are represented just fine.

Ganon/dorf, however, has a lot of room for improvement. I don't care how he gets there, I just want him to be better represented.
I'm partial to Pig Ganon getting in though, as it preserves Falcondorf while representing the classic Zelda games.
???

Also, as long as the character is vastly different (Which Tetra is) I don't see a problem with having 3 Zelda's, I mean one of Zelda's big things is that Link and Zelda are reborn anew over and over again in different forms anyway

Pig Ganon would do a better job, represents more games and would probably be more unique. Adding a character for the sake of balancing a series though is kinda dumb

Fix'd that for you, my good sir. :p
Maybe, I think he'd need another game though

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I support all of the following Zelda characters:
-Impa
-Tetra
-Vaati
-Tingle
-Ganon
-Epona

However, I'm more concerned with the overall representation of The Legend of Zelda as a series, more than which of the individual characters gets in. Tetra and Vaati would help flesh out the Toon characters, and while Tetra would make the thought of Sheik less ridiculous, Vaati would give Smash more of what it needs in every department.

I really think Zelda (character) was mishandled in the first place. I would have preferred if our current character utilized a magic meter, and could turn into Sheik and Tetra to alter her stats and smash attacks (but not her core moveset). At the very least I wish Zelda had a magic meter.

Now, for Mario and the Mushroom Kingdom/whatever the extension of the world outside of that Kingdom is called, I support:
-Kamek (not that I believe Yoshi will ever be given a second character, considering he is nearly retconned out of being his own series)
-Waluigi (as a Wario character, though)
-Paper Mario; about time this extreely popular and unique series be given its dues.
-Captain Toad. Not only do I think he is the most interesting choice, wit a clear moveset idea in a lack of ability to jump (which I've been harped on before). He is also the single biggest Nintendo allstar (well, Toad) to be missing from the roster. We've been over most of these points, I just happen to differ in thinking he shouldnt be able to jump.

Donkey Kong characters I support:
Dixie and K Rool are givens for rounding out the main cast. Both are crucial and missing. That said, for a fifth character (again, this wont happen this game, even if we get a 20 character update, but in the future and for speculation purposes):
-DK Jr
-Cranky
-Pauline
-Jumpman
It seemed to be just BluePikmin and myself, but I think the classic era of DK is missing a character; its a different set of games, with different mechanics, and the aerial evasion is something a glass house like Jumpman could utilize. Of course, it would be nice to get a character who actually, simply, throws a freakin' barrel.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Tetra and Vaati are the only Zelda characters I'd really like to see. To me, it feels like most people just jumped on the Impa bandwagon thanks to people thinking she has an enormous chance of being playable, and I really couldn't care less about Ganon.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Tetra and Vaati are the only Zelda characters I'd really like to see. To me, it feels like most people just jumped on the Impa bandwagon thanks to people thinking she has an enormous chance of being playable, and I really couldn't care less about Ganon.
I think most people jumped on after Hyrule Warriors made her awesome, but her support wasn't too bad before that

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Ganon's Code

I am the Dark Lord
A mindless killing machine.
If you want to change my image, you must first change my moves.
Pigs are food, not friends.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
???

Also, as long as the character is vastly different (Which Tetra is) I don't see a problem with having 3 Zelda's, I mean one of Zelda's big things is that Link and Zelda are reborn anew over and over again in different forms anyway
...okay? Can I just not want Tetra though?

-Epona
...how?
I really think Zelda (character) was mishandled in the first place. I would have preferred if our current character utilized a magic meter, and could turn into Sheik and Tetra to alter her stats and smash attacks (but not her core moveset). At the very least I wish Zelda had a magic meter.
Hmm...
That's actually a very interesting idea.
If they implemented a magic meter for Zelda, they could give her the rapier from TP to conpensate.
Her Smash attacks are stronger but consume magic, normals are weak but use the sword instead of magic.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Is it wrong? Yes, because the throne is taken already. Bleh Pig Ganon, what an unlikable sob. Just put on smash balls and play ganondorf, if you really need your pig fix. He would be such a depressing slot for me, I so much prefer Ganondorf as a form it's hard to compare. Luckily I think his chances are slim for sm4sh. Ganondorf needs a more unique kit before they slap bacon in the game with a fully fleshed out legit Ganon kit. Ugh I'd be so disappointed.

No thanks Classic Ganon
Signed,
:ganondorfmelee::ganondorf::4ganondorf:

(I'd get over it I'm sure, but this is my initial opinion. There are very few characters I actually dislike as options, but this is easily one of them.)
A...are you kidding me? The original Ganon is hellllllllllla different (coughandbettercough) than Ganondorf's beast form from Twilight Princess. We want to play as the old school Ganon, not some half-arsed Captain Falcon clone that can turn into his beast form for a few seconds if you manage to get the smash ball (which is effectively watching a cutscene and not actually doing anything yourself). It's not the same thing at all- Pig Ganon is a completely different kind of character, fighting with a trident and utilizing various ranged magic. And I don't see how he's unlikable either- unless you are a resident of Hyrule yourself. Sure, a demonic pig isn't the most attractive thing, but I forgot the part where huge, brutally intimidating villains are supposed to be bishie. Also, the only thing we've gotten referencing the older Zelda titles is the Hyrule Temple stage, with the music from Zelda 2. Apart from that, everything else Zelda has been OoT and after. He'd be a good throwback, and he'd be an actual warlock with magic and not someone who just punches and kicks with some flashy effects.

Donkey Kong characters I support:
Dixie and K Rool are givens for rounding out the main cast. Both are crucial and missing. That said, for a fifth character (again, this wont happen this game, even if we get a 20 character update, but in the future and for speculation purposes):
-DK Jr
-Cranky
-Pauline
-Jumpman
It seemed to be just BluePikmin and myself, but I think the classic era of DK is missing a character; its a different set of games, with different mechanics, and the aerial evasion is something a glass house like Jumpman could utilize. Of course, it would be nice to get a character who actually, simply, throws a freakin' barrel.
I think DK Jr would be a good arcade rep right alongside Pac-Man, and I could see throwing barrels and fruits being a core part of the moveset.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
A...are you kidding me? The original Ganon is hellllllllllla different (coughandbettercough) than Ganondorf's beast form from Twilight Princess.
Hate to deflate a rant but, yes I was most definitely being a jackass with that particular comment and not being serious. Of course a final smash wouldn't cut it lol. But my point stands, boo Ganon. Ganondorf for life. I'm completely ok with you wanting to play the pig, but he's not for me.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
[Epona]
...how?
I truly do not have an idea here, I just love Epona. She is unique to me in this way, as most characters make me feel inspired. I'm aware it wont happen, ever, I just think it would be fun.

Hmm...
That's actually a very interesting idea.
If they implemented a magic meter for Zelda, they could give her the rapier from TP to conpensate.
Her Smash attacks are stronger but consume magic, normals are weak but use the sword instead of magic.
That sounds too much like Robin to me. Of course she would need to be able to fight even when the magic meter is at zero, I just do not think it should be with a base weapon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom