• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
If we get Ganon, he'll either be a playable Roy-esque Falcon clone with his Final Smash functioning as the Blue Falcon but instead its Ganondorf's unnamed horsey (which would be hilarious) or a Ridley like boss where Ganon is designed as even bigger than he is in his series and is a masochist to boot (which would also be hilarious)

Either way, we would get Ganon and Sakurai will congratulate himself for respecting Ganon's true character and "having a made a game" :p

Last edited:
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
???

Pig Ganon would do a better job, represents more games and would probably be more unique. Adding a character for the sake of balancing a series though is kinda dumb
Y'all took it out of context. I think demise should get in not to "balance out the roster" but so we can get something remotely close to what Ganondorf should've been.

I only said that in reply to Tetra, Having 2 Zeldas is enough imo

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
If this disgraceful inclusion ever took place, I will put on Ganondorf's finest red boots and stomp dlc pigs all day.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
TBH, I would rather have a more faithful Ganondorf over Ganon at this point.

Even if it's unlikely, I want Ganondorf to incorporate some of his OoT, WW, and TP moves in to his Smash moveset.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ganondorf can't get reworked until SSB5... Sakurai isn't changing his moveset for DLC. :/

But I'd rather see a newcomer than a reworked Ganon. That's just me, though.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
TBH, I would rather have a more faithful Ganondorf over Ganon at this point.

Even if it's unlikely, I want Ganondorf to incorporate some of his OoT, WW, and TP moves in to his Smash moveset.
Silly character loyalty aside, this is all I've wanted since melee, so hearing classic Ganon over a justified Ganfondorf just feels wrong to me. Can't help it. I understand other people's desire for the old one...
it's just personal lol

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I just want Ganondorf to get different animations, preferably using the sword which would also give him more range, for example when doing his up smash, instead of kicking he'd swing his sword in a similar arc, or with up tilt he'd raise his sword and slam it down, for down tilt he'd do a low stab etc etc

...okay? Can I just not want Tetra though?

...how?

Hmm...
That's actually a very interesting idea.
If they implemented a magic meter for Zelda, they could give her the rapier from TP to conpensate.
Her Smash attacks are stronger but consume magic, normals are weak but use the sword instead of magic.
Okay, but 3 Zelda's isn't that good of a reason, you do you though

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Silly character loyalty aside, this is all I've wanted since melee, so hearing classic Ganon over a justified Ganfondorf just feels wrong to me. Can't help it. I understand other people's desire for the old one...
it's just personal lol
Honestly, if all the Zelda characters could get Smash-original designs and Ganondorf was given a trident, I'd be okay with that too.
But the designs for them will probably always be from Twilight Princess, and slapping a new trident on an existing model seems odd.

So I'd rather have it fitted to a Ganon that actually uses it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Something about Classic Ganon's chances bothers me. I'm starting to think they are low for Smash 5 at least, but I can't pinpoint the reason. I'm Ganon supporter myself, but it's been bothering me lately.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I meant for SSB5 lol.

As for DLC, I honestly see like 4 more characters TBH though I recall reading about the 3DS being able to handle 6 more slots on the CSS which makes me think we can get 6 more DLC characters potentially.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ganon eh? But isn't he :4ganondorf:'s Final Smash? :drshrug:
"Beast Ganon," which is basically a boar.

Actual Ganon is bipedal, almost always a shade of Blue not grey, and more importantly is an Orc-like design not an animal. Weither it be his trident toting warlock or the Ocarina of Time swordsman.

Besides, it's not like we :4mario::4drmario:haven't :4link::4tlink::younglinkmelee: had :4zelda::4sheik: different :4samus::4zss: forms of the same character as different indeities in Smash.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Dark Link needs the Alph treatment.
Not only with a new name, but aesthetics to sword shield and final smash.

Thats sorta an additional rep with little to no work.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
"Beast Ganon," which is basically a boar.

Actual Ganon is bipedal, almost always a shade of Blue not grey, and more importantly is an Orc-like design not an animal. Weither it be his trident toting warlock or the Ocarina of Time swordsman.

Besides, it's not like we :4mario::4drmario:haven't :4link::4tlink::younglinkmelee: had :4zelda::4sheik: different :4samus::4zss: forms of the same character as different indeities in Smash.
Okay, but which version would they use, OOT, or Classic?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, it is still technically Ganon. Even Ganondorf is technically Ganon.
I mean...

Even if you want to argue that :4zelda::4sheik: and :4link::4tlink: are different incarnations of the same person...

:4mario::4drmario: :4samus::4zss: and :linkmelee::younglinkmelee: still hold.

A "duplicity" isn't an issue for Ganon, it's currently having poor support that I CERTAINLY HOPE PICKS UP ONCE K. ROOL GETS IN AND GANON GETS TO BE THE MAIN ANTAGONIST FOR A GAME

Morbi

Scavenger
I mean...

Even if you want to argue that :4zelda::4sheik: and :4link::4tlink: are different incarnations of the same person...

:4mario::4drmario: :4samus::4zss: and :linkmelee::younglinkmelee: still hold.

A "duplicity" isn't an issue for Ganon, it's currently having poor support that I CERTAINLY HOPE PICKS UP ONCE K. ROOL GETS IN AND GANON GETS TO BE THE MAIN ANTAGONIST FOR A GAME
I did not claim or insinuate that "duplicity" was an issue. I merely stated that Beast Ganon, regardless of the adjective in front of his name, is still Ganon.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I did not claim or insinuate that "duplicity" was an issue. I merely stated that Beast Ganon, regardless of the adjective in front of his name, is still Ganon.
Yeahhh I wrote that response before the page loaded you stating that... which chronologically was posted before my post was completed but not when it was drafted.
My apologies

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeahhh I wrote that response before the page loaded you stating that... which chronologically was posted before my post was completed but not when it was drafted.
My apologies
Oh, it is quite alright. I do not mind in the slightest. I just wanted to be clear because I have absolutely no problem with characters that share names.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pigs are awesome animals, dunno where the hate is coming from :(
Because they're fat and we all know how most people (especially Americans) feel about that. Racists.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sakurai said if there's anything different, they can't be alts but their own characters. I believe this was back when Lucina was revealed iirc

Yes, he wants people to stop leaking or pretending to leak his ****
He said difference in move set... aesthetics no.
Or else Lucina would have stayed a marth alt if the move set didn't change.
She would have been Marth, besides aesthetics.

So there really isn't a problem to recolour dark link's sword, shield and triforce slash to black...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

So there really isn't a problem to recolour dark link's sword, shield and triforce slash to black...
You're missing the point. No costume changes the final Smash. You want an alt to do this, despite it not being done. Either Sakurai keeps the Dark Link costume as is, or makes Dark Pit playable.

Morbi

Scavenger

No, he actually stated a difference in their abilities. Trust me, I spammed this article so much back in the day when I was trying to convince people of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit.

“However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Leave Ganon as he is with some changes, like having Warlock Punch / Dead Man's Volley in Ryu-style controls. Honestly, Dead Man's Volley is all I truly think we need to make Ganon "canon". The volley, the choke hold, the pimp slap of flight and a dark energy foot. Ganondorf's already a fun character, and has a lot of good potential gameplay-wise (I don't mean MLG / EVO levels of potential like say Sheik or Pikachu, but then again we have been graced with Dr. Nairo, so...)

That's something I don't think really comes up often. I mean, you make a moveset, sure, but there's no cohesion to it. Characters can have mechanics and such, but what advantages or disadvantages do they give the player? What allows them to make up for any weaknesses? What are the best tactics a player of the character could use? What moves are something completely new and original, something other fighters don't have?

For instance, :4littlemac:. You can give him his KO Punch as "something no other character can do" and that's fine. But how exactly do you convey the feel of their home game, or inspirations for that character, while still keeping it balanced compared to other characters, and making them feel different. So naturally, you make him effin' beast on ground but a really lame stone when in-air. But you can't make it too lame, otherwise he'll fall behind others.

:4duckhunt:, he's annoying. How do you annoy your opponents? Guns blasting at them from several directions, make them forget that can's there, when their guard's down, rush in and do some fancy grab-aerial combos, oh, you forgot he had a spike? Deal with it. He laughs at your misery, but he's not invincible. Weave through the ducks and the bullets, and hit him straight on. Worst he could do is Allahu Akbar your tush, yet launch himself in the process, leaving him even more vulnerable.

That's my problem with characters like Impa. They have abilities, yes, but I need a cohesive concept that's different. And honestly, that's why I think a lot of characters don't get in or haven't yet. Look at K. Rool's body type, what can he do physically that Bowser doesn't already do? Sure, he's got his weaponry, but what can they do that hasn't been done? Heli-pack's basically DHD / Snake, blunderbuss is Koopa Kids or Mii Brawler, and the crown is Link's boomerang! Show people why they could be different instead of re-hashing concept after concept, that's why characters like nearly all of the newcomers this installment are so refreshing instead of just making every character in design like how fans expect.

/rant

ErenJager

Smash Champion
No, he actually stated a difference in their abilities. Trust me, I spammed this article so much back in the day when I was trying to convince people of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit.

“However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”
I could argue the word he used could also refer to move set. (depending on how you interrupt the translation)

As he went onto talk about small variations in her moveset, like speed and the sword, it kind of supports that.

Since the abilities remain the same besides a colour.... I find it hard to believe he would constitute that as a new character... If perhaps he made him slower but hit harder... than yes, but if not than no...

There's no clone with the exact same move set abilities... they've alll been changed to hit harder, faster, slowler or differently.

Cosmetically different clones don't exist... the closest would be Alph and the koopalings.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I could argue the word he used could also refer to move set. (depending on how you interrupt the translation)

As he went onto talk about small variations in her moveset, like speed and the sword, it kind of supports that.

Since the abilities remain the same besides a colour.... I find it hard to believe he would constitute that as a new character... If perhaps he made him slower but hit harder... than yes, but if not than no...
Of course, but those (variations in move-set) are dependent variables whereas Sakurai is the independent variable (he influences the move-set). In the scenario that I believe he is referencing, the character itself is the independent variable. A subtle, yet important difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom