• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Anyone mention this yet or am I just dumb?

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3oyjtf/the_smash_3ds_character_select_screen_can_fit/

6 also fit perfectly on the wii u roster if you fill in the 2 empty spaces and add another column to the right
I came up with idea months ago on my own, haha. It's great to see that I'm not the only one to notice and come to a conclusion from it. As for the six characters, my predictions are:
1) Wolf - No reason not to. Has everything going for him. Pre-Ballot.

2) Inkling - Splatoon is a break-out success. Very likely if they can make Ink work on 3DS. Pre-Ballot.

3) King K. Rool: Ballot pick. Very popular, and if the Inkling can get in when having a costume, I don't see why K. Rool can't.

4) Isaac: Ballot pick. Strong support base and a solid pick.

5) Dixie Kong: Another popular representative for the DK series. More than likely with the Ballot.

6) Tie with Snake, Krystal, and Bandana Dee. Snake could be hindered due to the whole Konami/Kojima stuff. If that is they case, it's between Krystal and Dee. Just a matter of who got more votes, I guess.

1. Why... Why does this matter? At all?
2. This is a completely made up criteria.
3. That is an extremely narrow-minded view of these characters and why they were added.
4. Especially when taken into consideration that this almost definitely isn't the reason any of them were added.
5. Half of them are completely false. Snake was not the first heavyweight to use projectiles, multiple characters use "Curl up attacks", and Megaman has at least 7 moves that aren't projectiles, maybe more. (Up and down tilt, down and up smash, forward and back air, and dash attack)
6. How on earth does any of that translate to a "profitable decision"?
Well, that's certainly a snide way of putting it.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm not a huge Dee supporter, but if he gets in, I'll main the crap out of him just because I bet he'll look hilarious and adorable at the same time.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Krystal at all, but I've always thought of her as extremely ununique. Staff is already used by :4palutena:. Ice Blaster is basically PK Freeze. Rocket Boost is basically Fire Fox/Bird. Ground Quake is Bowser/Yoshi Bomb. Fire Blaster is, well, a lot of moves.

And if she got a telepathy move, not much doubt it would just be a counterattack.

Anyways, here are my six character predictions.
  1. King K. Rool
  2. Wolf
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Inkling
  5. Isaac
  6. Snake

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind Krystal at all, but I've always thought of her as extremely ununique. Staff is already used by :4palutena:. Ice Blaster is basically PK Freeze. Rocket Boost is basically Fire Fox/Bird. Ground Quake is Bowser/Yoshi Bomb. Fire Blaster is, well, a lot of moves.

And if she got a telepathy move, not much doubt it would just be a counterattack.

1. King K. Rool
  2. Wolf
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Inkling
  5. Isaac
  6. Snake
Ice Blaster is closer to Ice Climbers down B and Ground Quake would be chargeable and it wouldn't sent her up when used on the ground. Fire Blaster could also have a homing property, I guess it'd be sortof a mix of Palutena and Falco's neutral B. Palutena's staff is only used in very few moves and even then they would use them very differently.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If there are six spots...

1. Wolf
2. Inkling (the leak brigade isn't even bothering to pretend otherwise anymore, heh)
3. K. Rool
4. Isaac
5. No idea
6. No idea

I think, if we get up to six characters, the last two will be essentially up to a grab bag selection. It will also depend on how third parties are handled, what if any standards are in place with them, and how closely the ballot is followed, maybe also whether multiple characters per series are allowed. A shortlist I can see would include Snake, Shovel Knight, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Paper Mario and Insert Sakurai's Wanted Character Here.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My choice for six would be:
  1. Wolf
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Inkling
  4. Bandana Dee
  5. Isaac
  6. erm...Pichu? (Honestly I bet Chibi-Robo would be more likely.)

Palutena's staff is only used in very few moves and even then they would use them very differently.
Good. We don't need two staff users that take forever and a day to use their side tilt. :p

Seriously though, in a game where the typical rule is fast=good, why did they make such weak moves so slow?

my 6 predictions
1. no
2. idea
3. im
4. not
5. sakurai
6. lol

I can talk about wants and opinions all I want but this speculatory world is too much for me. Inklings, wolf, and a DK character seem pretty damn likely. Other than that it is a huge tossup.
(of course I only expect 3 more characters :p)

ToledoJones

Smash Rookie
I'm finding a hard time finding videos showcasing the combat but this is the best I can do
Go to around the 30 minute mark

It's a lot of multi-hits and kicks in combination with staff sweeps and stabs, that's just for normals though, there's a bunch of magic stuff that could be used for specials and a magic bar gimmick could be thrown in there if they really wanted to
Ah, okay, she uses (or rather Fox in this case) it more like a lance. I was under the impression she was more of Mage. But she's more like a Mage Knight or something. Perhaps she could have some sort of magic bar mechanic (like you suggested) that allowed her to quickly use some magic (perhaps in the form of a projectile) after using a basic attack? Sort of like Ryu's Heavy Attack to Special mechanic but with a limited use mechanic like Robin. That's the idea I has based on the gameplay anyway.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
My predictions for the 6 slots are.
1. Wolf (He's a heavily requested veteran that deserves to return, he wasn't a clone. Also, don't you think it's weird that 2 Melee veterans return as DLC but only 1 Brawl veteran?)

2. Sceptile (I admit, I'm being bias but since the ballot is a suggestion box, I can easily see Sceptile make it, he just fits in so well and there's no grass starter)

3. K.rool (Without a doubt, the most popular character on fan polls and possibly the official ballot, the costume might be a small downfall though)

4. Shantae (I honestly don't want her in, I just think the ballot is an opportunity to finally get long awaited characters from the Melee/Brawl days. She is a character from 2002 but nobody ever said "Shantae would be cool in smash" until now)

5. Isaac (Heavily requested and he isn't an assist trophy anymore, nuff said)

6. A tie between Bandana Dee and Rayman (Kirby needs more reps and Bandana Dee would fit in so well, a lot of moveset potential and decently requested. Rayman on the other hand has a lot of support and has a trophy in Smash Wii U for no reason, this could hint something)

Burruni

Smash Hero
My predictions for the 6 slots are.
1. Wolf (He's a heavily requested veteran that deserves to return, he wasn't a clone. Also, don't you think it's weird that 2 Melee veterans return as DLC but only 1 Brawl veteran?)

2. Sceptile (I admit, I'm being bias but since the ballot is a suggestion box, I can easily see Sceptile make it, he just fits in so well and there's no grass starter)

3. K.rool (Without a doubt, the most popular character on fan polls and possibly the official ballot, the costume might be a small downfall though)

4. Shantae (I honestly don't want her in, I just think the ballot is an opportunity to finally get long awaited characters from the Melee/Brawl days. She is a character from 2002 but nobody ever said "Shantae would be cool in smash" until now)

5. Isaac (Heavily requested and he isn't an assist trophy anymore, nuff said)

6. A tie between Bandana Dee and Rayman (Kirby needs more reps and Bandana Dee would fit in so well, a lot of moveset potential and decently requested. Rayman on the other hand has a lot of support and has a trophy in Smash Wii U for no reason, this could hint something)
The Dee has more support than Rayman, just saying.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
SIX PREDICTIONS
1.King K. Rool
2.Dixie Kong
3.Wolf
4.Inkling
5.Rayman
6.Bomberman

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Sorry, Scoli.
But I'm in the party that doesn't see Snake back because just about nothing has changed in his favor from when the MAIN roster was chosen in my eyes.
We'll see, and he certainly has his fanbase.
I just am not part of it.

Edit:

When Krystal hasn't been seen since 2006, as far as we know isn't going to be in SF-Zero, and a lot of people clutch to an over decade old game that is largely despised by the fanbase for an arsnenal.... she's got an absence longer than K. Rool without the massive popularity, overt potential as a fighter, and level of importance to her series.

She, like Impa, are two characters I feel are far higher pushed than is proper.
Irrelevancy you say? When someone in your sig is in the same situation, or are you going to give me a double standard? All those other points are vastly subjective, she still has popularity, she CAN be unique, and as if anyone in the SF series stands out after fox and falco but of course this feels like strong bias.

Nothing stopped Krystal being added to 64 3D in the added features, even if it was solely for the multiplayer to nod to her, nor from being in Zero. Kat is holding at the amount of importance at this point for the series if we include Star Fox 2.
:4palutena: We have a staff in Smash.
That staff, while starting as hers, is only used as such for the intro and far more by :4fox: for the duration of the game. It'd be a :4zelda: situation of giving the weaponry properly used by the protagonist to his madam... except with that madam not being the namesake for the series nor one of the three characters it revolves around.

"Punches and claw swipes"

He punches as a boxer in only one title (Namely with boomerang hooks with his gloves). And never seen swiping with his claws.

We have the ability to rain cannon balls, a blunderbuss which has a rocket burner, deploys spike traps, chemical clouds which reverse controls and freeze opponents, as well as having electrical fields, a helipack, the ability to willingly turn invisible, a killer belly flop, a set of teeth to really take a bite out of the competition, which are his own moves that certainly could make him unique to :4bowser:.
Yup you dont know what youre talking about, neither SF 3D nor SF Zero falls within her timeline she has no reason to even appear in said games when she was met after the lylat wars. Kat? important? really?

Does that staff do what she can? oh wait no, are you going to say we already have too many swords in smash instead? Because that is the logic you are giving me here.

Pit also uses paultena's main moveset throughout his game as well, there really isnt a problem with another zelda situation.

Yeah, no. I'm with Burruni Burruni on this one. Krystal is pretty much dead. Most Star Fox fans hate her, Star Fox Adventures was reviled, she's not in Zero and her last real appearance is in Command, which was also reviled.

K. Rool has a costume, yes. It was made absolutely without the ballot in mind and was called a "Retro" costume. Nintendo knew about his popularity even BEFORE the ballot, he's a prime candidate for getting chosen from it, probably the #1 most likely by far to get in through the ballot.
Isaac? I already explained as to why she wasn't in those games, and I dont know why you call bias when he just gave his opinion, from what i've seen of you, I can clearly see the same...and a bit of an anger issue too. Its not the characters fault command turned into a fanfic, its the fault of the producers and writers...but when you need an easy scapegoat....

Palutena uses it for her Down Tilt, Up Tilt, Forward Tilt, Neutral Air, Jab, Standard Special, Down Special and her Get Up Attack (also some of her customs). That said, if your argument was that Bowser having claws and doing punches somehow makes K. Rool less unique because he also does those things, then the fact that Palutena uses magic and staves is relevant. Krystal also has psychic powers which could be similar to Palutena.

Notice I said "could be." Obviously she doesn't have to be less unique because of Palutena. Just like K Rool doesn't have to be less unique because of Bowser. K. Rool's blunderbuss, for instance, could make him quite unique. Even if it was only used for specials. As I'm sure you are aware an incredibly large amount of characters have very similar attacks for their standard moves.
There is a difference between a magic slow stick and a physical bo-staff, also Krystal's powers are nothing like palutena. I kind of wish this Dixie would = Diddy or King K would = Bowser clone would stop. All of these characters have things to draw from, its up to sakurai to decide whether or not he's up to the hassle of making it.

It would not surprise me if king K's moveset is too convoluted, but of course none of you speculators think dev wise. All you guys do is likefarm and circlejerk trying to push your own ego's because your proud of your speculative "fame". Cool you got alot of people on a forum that like you and even hang out away from everyone else in a "im 2 cool 4 u" clique, so what? Doesn't mean everything you say is going to be right

1. King K. Rool
  2. Wolf
  3. Bandana Waddle Dee
  4. Inkling
  5. Isaac
  6. Snake
You can say this is X is basically X for alot of characters, you could say Chibi-robo would operate the same as villager and so on, thats a bad mentality to have my friend.

Ah, okay, she uses (or rather Fox in this case) it more like a lance. I was under the impression she was more of Mage. But she's more like a Mage Knight or something. Perhaps she could have some sort of magic bar mechanic (like you suggested) that allowed her to quickly use some magic (perhaps in the form of a projectile) after using a basic attack? Sort of like Ryu's Heavy Attack to Special mechanic but with a limited use mechanic like Robin. That's the idea I has based on the gameplay anyway.
I'll give you a rundown, her staff attacks will not be basic, they will be similar to how MK handles his sword, you already have the elemental specials to work with. And she can give two gimmicks: A magic bar gimmick and/or she can charge her specials to give her staff that effect. Not to mention a unqiue shield and cloudrunner FS.

Yeah I went on a rant, but i'm soooo tired of defending this character when the stigma of "oh she's just furry trash" never goes away. The potential is there, the popularity is there, all that is hindering her is irrelevancy... but that doesnt stop others does it?

But again, sakurai can choose whatever he likes, but I know that this character has merit, its not like i'm defending geno where the glaring flaws are apparent. (sorry geno fans, you guys are cool though)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Really? From what I saw, Rayman was top 5. Then again, you can't trust fan polls.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/ Top 3 (if you exclude Roy). Rayman nowhere to be seen.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/ #17, (in the same poll where Ice Climbers and Isaac beat K. Rool, so take a bit of salt on it). with Rayman at #15 on that same poll.

These two being kinda the "community standards" for relative positioning. The former for east and latter for west.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/ Top 3 (if you exclude Roy). Rayman nowhere to be seen.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/ #17, (in the same poll where Ice Climbers and Isaac beat K. Rool, so take a bit of salt on it). with Rayman at #15 on that same poll.

These two being kinda the "community standards" for relative positioning. The former for east and latter for west.
Eh, oh well. I'm lazy to edit my comment to fix it.
It's not like he had much of a chance anyways now that I think about it. Ubisoft has been a jerk to Nintendo and the amiibo tho...

Wait did people call Krystal a Palutena clone? I wasn't paying much attention.

If so stop that. Palutena barely scratches the surface of staff use.

Krystal would absolutely be unique super easily (Just like every top contender). Now saying she will be playable is a differnt story (RIP wolf. RIP zero). . .

if not whoops. I'm tired.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
So, 6 characters choice now with that roster pic? Alrighty~

1.- Wolf: (Because veteran that needs to return after Lucas, Roy AND Mewtwo did so because of fanbases, support and demand. Has a good following in most places online and seems plausible. Besides that, I want to play him again, one of my favorites from Brawl). :wolf:

2.- King K. Rool: (Obvious reasons, what else...?)

3.- Isaac: (Like K. Rool, he is wanted for various reasons, good potential, another franchise would be reprensented into Smash, etc)

4.- Inklings: (Not my preference but in terms of capitalizing with hype, and newest IP, they seem up there with what we could maybe see in the game for better or for worse...)

5.- Rayman/Bomberman/Snake/Third Party EXTRAVAGANZA: (Don't think any of the two could join, but if the dev team try to go with another 3rd party that has ties with Nintendo AND aren't as shady, then so be it. I wouldn't mind any of the two, and in a way, adds another MAN to the roster, I guess...) :p

6.- THEOMGWTFSAKURAIWHATISTHIS?!CHOICE: This could honestly go ANY way. Just to keep on with the characteristic chance-time that Sakurai is know by all at this point. For obvious reasons, we don't ever know what this could amount to in the end, hence the name to this one.

In terms of characters I DO want playable. (Like Ridley, Ray Mk, etc...) Most of them are either probable for the next game, or something close to that. But the ones above are the ones that seem to be possible with the amount of support-potentiality-votes any other reason that the supporters can come up with and such.

Just my view on the matter.

:bowser:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wait did people call Krystal a Palutena clone? I wasn't paying much attention.

If so stop that. Palutena barely scratches the surface of staff use.

Krystal would absolutely be unique super easily (Just like every top contender). Now saying she will be playable is a differnt story (RIP wolf. RIP zero). . .
The matter was saying that K. Rool and Bowser would play the same because they're heavy and thus would have moves based on punching and clawing while Krystal would be the first staff user in Smash... something innacurate by the fact THAT Palutena uses a staff, and then some people going a bit to absurd on stating that the bits of that staff's powers can be seen around others movesets to drain some of the uniqueness from the staff.

Last edited:
The matter was saying that K. Rool and Bowser would play the same because they're heavy and thus would have moves based on punching and clawing while Krystal would be the first staff user in Smash... something innacurate by the fact THAT Palutena uses a staff, and then some people going a bit to absurd on stating that the bits of that staff's powers can be seen around others movesets to drain some of the uniqueness from the staff.
Ahh. that's far less obnoxious. Someone is still getting stabbed for saying K rool is a bowser clone but less annoying that Krystal being a palutena clone.

I don't even like Krystal.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ahh. that's far less obnoxious. Someone is still getting stabbed for saying K rool is a bowser clone but less annoying that Krystal being a palutena clone.

I don't even like Krystal.
I feel like the best way to put it...

K. Rool to :4bowser: is Isaac to :4robinm::4robinf:.... or even :4kirby: to :4pacman:.

Similar characters on the face of them but have a different reliance on what they use and would be handled very differently.

Edit: I mean... even :4mario: to :4ryu:'s movesets.

Last edited:

Demented Dex

Smash Cadet
Palutena's weapon is more of a scepter than a traditional bo staff, and since we already know how Palutena uses hers (in combination with a shield and light powers), it shouldn't be difficult to see how Krystal could use her own very differently.

ToledoJones

Smash Rookie
There is a difference between a magic slow stick and a physical bo-staff, also Krystal's powers are nothing like palutena. I kind of wish this Dixie would = Diddy or King K would = Bowser clone would stop. All of these characters have things to draw from, its up to sakurai to decide whether or not he's up to the hassle of making it.
Sorry, I have not played Star Fox Adventures and at that point I hadn't even seen any gameplay. I wasn't meaning to actually suggest that Krystal would be a Palutena clone or even similar, I was making a purposefully stupid claim (pretty sure I made that clear) to parody the suggestion that Bowser would make K. Rool less unique.

It would not surprise me if king K's moveset is too convoluted, but of course none of you speculators think dev wise. All you guys do is likefarm and circlejerk trying to push your own ego's because your proud of your speculative "fame". Cool you got alot of people on a forum that like you and even hang out away from everyone else in a "im 2 cool 4 u" clique, so what? Doesn't mean everything you say is going to be right.
This was like my second post, what are you even talking about? My whole point was that Sakurai can do what ever he wants.

I'll give you a rundown, her staff attacks will not be basic, they will be similar to how MK handles his sword, you already have the elemental specials to work with. And she can give two gimmicks: A magic bar gimmick and/or she can charge her specials to give her staff that effect. Not to mention a unqiue shield and cloudrunner FS.
When I said "basic attacks" I meant tilts or Smashes, basically anything that isn't a special (I'm fairy certain that was obvious from context). I did not mean to imply her attacks would be "basic." But, the elemental charge sounds interesting, especially if it's a quick change.

Yeah I went on a rant, but i'm soooo tired of defending this character when the stigma of "oh she's just furry trash" never goes away. The potential is there, the popularity is there, all that is hindering her is irrelevancy... but that doesnt stop others does it?
I appreciate your passion for the character, but I don't appreciate that the bulk of your rant was aimed at me. It made me feel like you didn't even read my posts and that you wrongly used me to make an example. I never said any of the things you accused me of; next time please just post your rant without directing at the innocent.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
My rant in the middle there wasn't directed at you, its directed at all of the people that acted this way in both this thread and the other social, I just felt like saying it there but I apologize to you bud, but again it wasn't for you.

Thank you for at least understanding some of my points, its really hard continuing the push for this character when every single other one has support of some sort and everyone else wants mine to die (aka retcon). But it is what it is, again I humbly apologize to you.

But yes if you want her tilts they can draw from other fighting games with bo-staff users, such as kilik or son-son. (sakurai loves dem fighter references) They are in the namco building, namco designed her so they have the assets. Not saying its 100% but saying its impossible is out of the question.

Last edited:

ToastPerson

Smash Rookie
NNID
DooksAndDags
Honestly, all I really care about in terms of DLC, is Popo, I don'tthink that just because the 3DS can't handle the Ice Climbers, it doesn't mean we can still have an Ice Climber, sure taking out the two-in-one character would be the shame, but as of now, it's the only way, the Ice Climbers were functional on the Wii U version, so we do kind of already have a model and part of the moveset done, just change some specials the be similar as if Nana was still arround, down special, new recovery, change damage and knockback to balance things out and there you have it, Popo. :popo:

Troykv

Smash Master
6 characters...

I give the first three for K. Rool, Wolf and Bandana Dee.

The other three could go in any way... A underdog with okay/fine Support, a wild card, etc

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't think the six potential slots mean anything, but if I had to say what 6 characters they would choose, I would say
- King K. Rool
- Inkling
- Isaac
- Wolf
- Shovel Knight
- Snake / Ice Climber

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/655619900388433920

[Rumor] The next DLC character is from a Wii U game.

Oh some more rumor mojo, Ty.
Isaac out in speculation world. Inklings possibility is stronger. Bayoneta stated no. But I doubt Wonder Red has a chance vs the splatlings... She pretty much says it's the inklings but I'll take this all with a grain of salt.

I think the betting man's take on this should be that it's Inklings Wolf and K Rool for these slots. Not my picks but seems where we're headed.

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
why do people say that there is likely gonna be 6 more dlc? is it because of this http://imgur.com/BjQ7GVx

Also what ever happened to shovel knight? i thought he was a huge favorite, how come everything ive been reading lately doesnt mention him at all as a possible character

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bruh what if it's the iPad with arms from NintendoLand.
DON'T YOU DARE DISGRACE MONITA BY CALLING HER AN iPad

SHE'S THE WAIFU WE NEED.

Also she comes with another clone which is $2.50

Dark Monita.

Edit:

why do people say that there is likely gonna be 6 more dlc? is it because of this http://imgur.com/BjQ7GVx

Also what ever happened to shovel knight? i thought he was a huge favorite, how come everything ive been reading lately doesnt mention him at all as a possible character
A) It's a POSSIBILITY, not that it's LIKELY. An interesting idea because it would turn every slot to 40x40 pixels on the 3DS version and corresponds to the 2 open slots and one added row on the WiiU.

B) He had a decent spike of popularity at the start of the ballot and fell off. The fact that he's an indie character with one game to his name and lacks any japanese release still are matters that hold his odds far back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom