• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
All third-party characters have brought something special and unique.

:snake:-First heavyweight to use projectiles
:4sonic:-First character to use spin attacks
:4megaman:-First character to rely soley on projectiles (Minus up-tilt)
:4pacman:-First character to change models in between attacks
:4ryu:-First character to have different strength versions of attacks
SK-Has a Shovel and relics???

How is this a profitable decision?
I don't think any of those reasons had anything to do with how profitable they were.. It's their giant legacy and iconicness that did.

(also d-tilt, bair,fair for MM. I think Sonic changes models for ball form. )

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it works for Ganondorf... the things that dont work, in my opinion, are the things PM edited: the number one issue being him running instead of hovering (because it is far out of character that he would run), and his lack of a true projectile.

I still think the most likely Zelda newcomer may in fact be Ganon (mostly due to the fact that Sheik is never going anywhere, unfortunately).

We cannot really speak on behalf of the ballot; what it was used for, the intentions of Nintendo with it, how characters will be received from it. Unless you are claiming to have some inside info, in which case, do share.
I think the most likely new Zelda character is no one. Well, in all seriousness, its probably Impa, but even she's a slim shot at best. There's simply not one Zelda character the fanbase can rally around. If it was even two it'd be a bit better, but instead there's about 5-6 different characters people want to see playable in Smash, and there's no real consistency. Whereas at least the DK fans have recurring characters they can rally around: K. Rool and Dixie.

Zelda varies too much from game-to-game and has only a few recurring characters. As opposed to FE which has brand new casts every game so you'll likely never see a villain and only see one character for each game (Lucina is an exception as she was planned as a costume of Marth).

Er...Not entirely true
Bowser's flame breath is considered a projectile
Either you mean the Spin Attack from Sonic's games or moves in which the character spins, something lots of characters have
Sonic's "gimmick," if anything, is a large number of multi-hitting attacks and very fast speed. He's also a sort of trickster character in that he's got multiple attacks that are similar in appearance but work a lot differently, namely is many different times of spin attacks.

I didn't really mean to segregate it into two clear cut groups like that, I just wanted to acknowledge their significance in terms of numbers.

I'll refrain from calling them "casuals" because I'm starting to dislike the tone it gives, but I was referring to people that don't go to tournaments or take the game seriously. And yes, I'm pretty sure they know about the ballot, I'm the only one in my circle of friends that goes to tournaments and even then the smash ballot's a well known thing.
In that case I'm a casual. Usually "casuals" refers to people who just casually enjoy a game but aren't heavily invested in it. Hence also not heavily invested in what characters get into the game. By that definition, an awful lot of people on these boards are casuals, since they don't take the game competitively seriously (if that's what you mean) but still enjoy playing the game and desiring certain characters.

That's a far cry from the usual "casuals" people refer to; the Wii crowd who barely are into video games at all.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sonic's movement based whilst Snake is all about traps.

I didn't really mean to segregate it into two clear cut groups like that, I just wanted to acknowledge their significance in terms of numbers.

I'll refrain from calling them "casuals" because I'm starting to dislike the tone it gives, but I was referring to people that don't go to tournaments or take the game seriously. And yes, I'm pretty sure they know about the ballot, I'm the only one in my circle of friends that goes to tournaments and even then the smash ballot's a well known thing.
There's different ways for people to define casual. I'm not referring to the competitive one at all.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master

:4sonic:-First character to use curl-up attacks
:4megaman:-First character to rely soley on projectiles (Minus up-tilt, fair, bair, dtilt, usmash, dsmash, grab, and throws)

Fixed the glaring flaw.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
OBJECTION!!! Jigglypuff uses Rollout, however Sonic uses this as a full moveset, TAKE THAT!!!

EXCEPT YOUR CLAIM WAS NOT 'First character to use spin attacks as a full moveset' BUT RATHER...
TAKE THAT!!!!

THIS POST WAS EDITTED. HOWEVER, MY REPLY REMAINS UNEDITTED IN WHICH IT SAYS 'First character to use spin attacks'

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I know what you mean Nintenzilla but you should be a lot more specific. Specifcally for Megaman & Sonic. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still think the most likely Zelda newcomer may in fact be Ganon (mostly due to the fact that Sheik is never going anywhere, unfortunately).
WADDA YA MEAN UNFORTUNATLY!!! Because Impa bias? How about we wish for both in the game instead of disliking a character because of a "them or us" mentality!

(If that's not what you meant then I apologize.)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think any of those reasons had anything to do with how profitable they were.. It's their giant legacy and iconicness that did.

(also d-tilt, bair,fair for MM. I think Sonic changes models for ball form. )
I was just stating that compared to other third party characters, Shovel Knight doesn't have much new to offer. It's not as big as other parts of the argument, but it's stil something.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was just stating that compared to other third party characters, Shovel Knight doesn't have much new to offer. It's not as big as other parts of the argument, but it's stil something.
It doesn't mean anything though. Sonic's known for 2 things: An obnoxious fanbase, something Smash already had, and going really ****ing fast

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yep. Being able to be a ball is really something.

Each character is so off the wall unique because their abilities either hand over the uniqueness (:snake::4ryu::4megaman:) or are nonexistent (:4pacman:).

Shovel Knight may not be off the wall unique like those I've stated earlier, but there is no way he would be a clone, and to me, that's all that matters.

So as far as uniqueness goes, you can't really put down Shovel Knight on that one.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Yep. Being able to be a ball is really something.

Each character is so off the wall unique because their abilities either hand over the uniqueness (:snake::4ryu::4megaman:) or are nonexistent (:4pacman:).

Shovel Knight may not be off the wall unique like those I've stated earlier, but there is no way he would be a clone, and to me, that's all that matters.

So as far as uniqueness goes, you can't really put down Shovel Knight on that one.
I suppose, but that still doesn't overule the other problems he has. (Actully I'm unsure of his gender) My point was really that there are third-parties that are much more deserving than him, Amiibo or not.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I suppose, but that still doesn't overule the other problems he has. (Actully I'm unsure of his gender) My point was really that there are third-parties that are much more deserving than him, Amiibo or not.
I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight is a guy...But I guess we won't know until Gender Swap mode comes into fruitatian. :p

I'm just going to compile a list of 3rd parties that are don't have big support.... because I'm bored....mostly.
Yukimura Sanada - Samurai Warriors - Tecmo Koei

Slime - Dragon Quest - Square Enix

Black Mage - Konami

lol..
Um sir, Black Mage is a SquareEnix character. :p

EDIT: lol three corrective posts in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
LOL sorry. That's because I was originally going to add Bomberman but then changed my mind and forgot to change the other part.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight is a guy...But I guess we won't know until Gender Swap mode comes into fruitatian. :p

Um sir, Black Mage is a SquareEnix character. :p

EDIT: lol three corrective posts in a matter of seconds.
Well we've never seen his face, and his proportions are somewhat feminine. Actually, Bloodstained debunked this. (I think?)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

1. Why... Why does this matter? At all?
2. This is a completely made up criteria.
3. That is an extremely narrow-minded view of these characters and why they were added.
4. Especially when taken into consideration that this almost definitely isn't the reason any of them were added.
5. Half of them are completely false. Snake was not the first heavyweight to use projectiles, multiple characters use "Curl up attacks", and Megaman has at least 7 moves that aren't projectiles, maybe more. (Up and down tilt, down and up smash, forward and back air, and dash attack)
6. How on earth does any of that translate to a "profitable decision"?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I'm about to riot without some news soon. We learned of these mystery slots too early, clearly my entitlement meter is off the charts lol... But I can't help it, new smash slots are like hype gold mines.

Starting to lose it :dizzy:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
1. Why... Why does this matter? At all?
2. This is a completely made up criteria.
3. That is an extremely narrow-minded view of these characters and why they were added.
4. Especially when taken into consideration that this almost definitely isn't the reason any of them were added.
5. Half of them are completely false. Snake was not the first heavyweight to use projectiles, multiple characters use "Curl up attacks", and Megaman has at least 7 moves that aren't projectiles, maybe more. (Up and down tilt, down and up smash, forward and back air, and dash attack)
6. How on earth does any of that translate to a "profitable decision"?
I was extremely tired when I wrote this, that may have to do with it.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Do characters even NEED gimmicks? Especially whit Nintendo franchises already being over-the-top enough as it is. Why tack a gimmick on them?

Ryu's moveset is bland as hell. And it works because of his personality of substance of style.

Nah, that's false. Smash gives lots of popularity to just about EVERYBODY who becomes playable, especially the unique characters.
If Adam, an emotional/mental abuser who used his rank as General and Samus' affection for him to take advantage of her, somehow gets popular because he's in Smash, then the Smash franchise should honestly just discontinue in my honest to God opinion.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
That "white space on 3DS" reasoning is really old.

I remembered that justification when someone passed around that "Dixie, Ridley, and on-Disc Mewtwo were playable" rumor.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think Hyrule Warriors should be represented in Smash Bros. It would also in a general way represent the spin-off side of Zelda. It doesn't need to be a playable character in which case would likley be Lana but something like trophies of characters that HW made such as Cia. Perhaps a stage somehow?

Some of the music is pretty damn good too.
ok, going sleep now.
But can that many fit on the Wii U version?:troll:
I would only be very slightly but pleasantly surprised if we did get 6 more characters. Though I don't expect any more than that since this would be 10 DLC's in total...

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Nintendo is very bullheaded and refuses to use or even acknowledge third party contributions to their franchises (and even first party if Sticker Star, Other M, and Starfox Zero is anything to go by)

So no matter how great the game, Hyrule Warriors ain't getting ****. Which is too bad, it's the first game to feature Ganondorf as a playable character and not Black Shadow who decided to give himself the last name of Dragmire. :p

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think Hyrule Warriors should be represented in Smash Bros. It would also in a general way represent the spin-off side of Zelda. It doesn't need to be a playable character in which case would likley be Lana but something like trophies of characters that HW made such as Cia. Perhaps a stage somehow?

Some of the music is pretty damn good too.
ok, going sleep now.

But can that many fit on the Wii U version?:troll:
I would only be very slightly but pleasantly surprised if we did get 6 more characters. Though I don't expect any more than that since this would be 10 DLC's in total...
That would actually be a pretty good number in total though, giving us a total of 59 characters (61, including the 3 mii types) with a random space to make both rosters perfectly square

I'm all for some Hyrule Warriors representation, at the very least give us a couple trophies, a temple of souls stage would be hype though

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I hope that when I say things like I did earlier as far as the "slim pickings" of 3rd party characters, it doesn't shun people away from supporting their character of choice. I just hate to see expectations shattered, and for this section of the boards to become a salt mine.

I really just think it's interesting to think about the 3rd parties that are available. Snake seems like a no brainer (yes, i'm aware that I'm the owner of his thread and will come across as biased). He proved himself as an incredibly unique addition. I think he's a brilliant choice to add as DLC, especially if you add this track to his stage:

Aside from Snake, I feel like Bomberman and Rayman are cool choices. I've never played Castlevania, so I can't really comment on Simon Belmont. If Snake and Bomberman BOTH came from Konami, I think that'd be super cool. Both Snake and Bomberman could sport really cool tactical explosive movesets, and Bomberman could use powerups from his source games.

Rayman could be a good mix-up of ranged physical attacks, or ranged grabs even. I don't know, might be a wee bit overpowered. Besides those three, I'm having a tough time thinking of gaming characters who fit the moniker of "icon". By "icon" I mean like on the levels of the ones we have. I'm open to other suggestions obviously, but there are certainly plenty of characters that simply don't fit that description.

Fun fact, apparently MGSV made more money than the Age of Ultron movie did. Or at least that's what I've read.

Going really fanboyish right now, but I honestly think it'd be a gamers dream come true if a fighting game had all gaming icons like Master Chief or Kratos going up against Mario, Sonic, Link, Pac-Man, etc... I know it'd never happen in Smash, but I can dream! Just imagine a roster of Mario, Link, DK, Bowser, Pikachu, Kirby, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Snake, Ryu, Kratos, Master Chief, and tons of other characters. Again, wouldn't want Smash Mugen, but I just think it'd be soooooo cool.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Wolfie557 Wolfie557 : Add Eclipse of the Sun to that track list. I'd love to see a Hyrule Warriors rep. Temple of Souls or Valley of Seers would be cool as stages while Lana would be quite the interesting addition as a Smash fighter considering her weapons (magic blocks, magic walls, Deku Tree Sprouts, Cuccos, etc) and moveset potential that oozes personality. Add the Skull Kid costume for ultimate dose of salt.

Regular trophies of some of its characters would do fine, too. Yes, even gold Cucco.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Burruni

Smash Hero
IF this 6 slot thing is real (which is more than I expect)

Here's my prediction list.
1) :wolf:
2) K. Rool
3) Bandana Dee
4) Isaac
5) Inklings
6) Dixie or Paper Mario

That said, "empty space" argument is what gave us Tower of Smash's rooting. And we saw how that turned out.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

2) K. Rool
3) Bandana Dee
4) Isaac
5) Inklings
6) :snake:

That said, "empty space" argument is what gave us Tower of Smash's rooting. And we saw how that turned out.
Fix'd :awesome:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

2) K. Rool
3) Bandana Dee
4) Isaac
5) Inklings
6) Dixie or Paper Mario

I'd say the same although I'd have Krystal in there too, Maybe instead of Dixie since she tends to rank higher in fan polls (I think they are somewhat representative of the final results, most of the votes will be coming from places like Smashboards, Gamefaqs, casual fans I feel are less likely to vote)

I'm also not sure on where K Rool and Inkling stand cause of those mii costumes, it just seems weird they'd have them if they were going to add them to the roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom