• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I honestly doubt Nikki's claims about a 2 week wait for either Wonder Red or the Inklings (since they seem to fit the whole game on Wii U and first party thing). Her expertise IS in Splatoon related stuff, not Smash from what I know.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
To be fair, she did also datamine Mario Maker, (Which to also be fair, had Splatoon stuff in it), so it isn't too out of the realm of possibility for her to know other games contents.

But with that said, she can be a troll, so she isn't really reliable.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
It's going to be Dee or Dixie I bet you if she is telling the truth. They are making it seem like they want us to believe it's the Inklings, and I don't think they would want to ruin the surprise fully.

I don't get it though, why do they have to keep narrowing it down? Can't they just not say anything and just give us a timeframe? Hype dyes because of these guys, and it's really annoying.

Last edited:

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
So I guess the downtime we're going to get isn't going to mean anything really important.. I doubt they'll announce a direct today..

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If we're getting a character that wasn't "highly-demanded" expect someone like Ryu and not someone obscure even among the fanbase, especially as a hypothetical Inkling DLC would confirm that, yes, fan-demand is indeed a much bigger factor now than in the initial roster. You should probably learn to live with that, especially as Sakurai already stated that from now on it's going to be fanservice.
If I were to stick with that, then I would have no reason to speculate anymore and would be pretty boring since I'd know what kind of choices he'll pick anyway.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If I were to stick with that, then I would have no reason to speculate anymore and would be pretty boring since I'd know what kind of choices he'll pick anyway.
Consideirng the fact that there are tons of fan-favourite choices in the ballot and seveal third-party icons backed up by a lot of general popularity, that's hardly going to be the case.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Do you guys think we might finally see Mach Rider, or maybe another retro like Ayumi or Lip?

Wario and Bowser Jr. show that having a character that rides in a vehicle can work, and that was one of the reasons Mach Rider didn't get in originally.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We'll see if you're right, until it's officially announced that pre-ballot is over, Sakurai still has the element of surprise waiting to flip out expectations.
DUDE
:4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu::4ryu:
Are you outright ignoring my arguments or something? Overall popularity is kept in consideration, not just Smash demand
RYU'S A POPULAR CHARACTER OVERALL AND NOT EXPECTED. HAVING ANY OBSCURE CHARACTER DOESN'T WORK. SEE MY WILD CARD POST FROM EARLIER. 1 GUY SAID YES

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We'll see if you're right, until it's officially announced that pre-ballot is over, Sakurai still has the element of surprise waiting to flip out expectations.
"It's fan service from here on out"
"Fan Service"

The only element of surprise is if we get another character like Ryu and there aren't many that fit the bill.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
The ballot ended. There is nothing to prove pre-ballot is a thing. Sakurai literally said 'from now on'
There's no way he sat around and didn't develop something in the interim, if you think he's just started since the ballot ended two weeks ago, you're wrong

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
:rolleyes: I get it okay. Could possibly be your prediction or the other way around, neither way is definite to happen, but both possibilitie should at least be kept in mind.
The ballot ended. There is nothing to prove pre-ballot is a thing. Sakurai literally said 'from now on'
Obscure isn't fanservice. I have my sources
http://nintendoeverything.com/detai...e-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-dlc-characters-planned/
Where are yours?
There's no way he sat around and didn't develop something in the interim, if you think he's just started since the ballot ended two weeks ago, you're wrong
He said 'from now on till the end it'll be fanservice'. Not to mention he balanced the game, made a **** ton of Miis costumes and stages. You mentioned pre-ballot as an argument to why obscure characters can happen

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Obscure isn't fanservice. I have my sources
http://nintendoeverything.com/detai...e-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-dlc-characters-planned/
Where are yours?

He said 'from now on till the end it'll be fanservice'. Not to mention he balanced the game, made a **** ton of Miis costumes and stages. You mentioned pre-ballot as an argument to why obscure characters can happen
I mentioned nothing about obscure characters, I just think you're wrong that he's done no development on characters since Ryu, and the new characters are only ballot characters. Fan service doesn't mean popular

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Fan service doesn't mean popular
I...How...But...Why not do anything popular to increase the income made on something that simply doesn't have to be bought? How did you somehow think this? Tell me. Fanservice is something to appeal to fans, such as highly requested characters, not 'character that nobody's asking for that I'll do for ****s and giggles'

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
The point of creating character DLC (or any paid DLC actually) is to make it sell because Nintendo is still a company, a company that wants to make money. Making the character sell is done by creating a character that appeals to as much people as possible. Why would anyone even waste time, money and resources on creating a character that appeals to a small fanbase?

Fan service doesn't mean popular
What?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The ballot is the fan service...This is pre-ballot...
At this point we don't even know if we are done with Pre-Ballot and pre-ballot in certain situations are fan service if you think about it.

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy: Had a lot of demand from fans and something fans would easily love to have to pay for.

Like what Schnee117 Schnee117 said, :4ryu: wasn't someone we expected but it was someone who had massive recognition and popularity for.

To me, a Wild Card choice is a character who has the demand but not as big as others and is someone easily well known by fans all around the world.

Andy/Sami, Cranky Kong, Mach Rider, Slippy, Wonder Red, Vaati and Stylux fits that criteria

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't take his quote to the fullest personally. At one point he said clones we're fan-service to the people who bought Melee and claimed many times he doesn't like adding just popular characters back in a Brawl interview. It may or may not be the fan-service that fans want he's claiming it to be, and may add someone unexpected and not picked from the ballot, but makes sense to a degree and holds merits to give variety to the character DLC selection.
Example: Chorus Kids

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It may or may not be the fan-service that fans want he's claiming it to be, and may add someone unexpected and not picked from the ballot, but makes sense to a
degree and holds merits to give variety to the character DLC selection.
Sounds like... another Ryu situation.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Fan service is something that appeals to the fans, not ALL the fans. There is a huge pocket of retro fans, they can get Mach Rider, There is a huge pocket of Puzzle fans, they can get Lip, there are huge pockets of Indie characters, they can get Shantae/SK. It's ignorant to think fan service only applys to highest number of supports
RamOne RamOne
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Schnee117 Schnee117

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I...How...But...Why not do anything popular to increase the income made on something that simply doesn't have to be bought? How did you somehow think this? Tell me. Fanservice is something to appeal to fans, such as highly requested characters, not 'character that nobody's asking for that I'll do for ****s and giggles'
EDIT: For whatever reason I accidentally replied without responding.

There's always Mii costumes.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't take his quote to the fullest personally. At one point he said clones we're fan-service to the people who bought Melee and claimed many times he doesn't like adding just popular characters back in a Brawl interview. It may or may not be the fan-service that fans want he's claiming it to be, and may add someone unexpected and not picked from the ballot, but makes sense to a degree and holds merits to give variety to the character DLC selection.
'Kay.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
No I'm NOT implying the obscure characters from obscure franchises will happen like many of Nintendo's retros like Muddy Mole or Ashley Robbins. The kinds of characters are ones Schnee117 Schnee117 refers to as the "Ryu" type of characters. Again, the ones unexpected and not really requested by fans, but makes sense to a degree in terms of merits and various factors considered and have a fanbase within their respected franchise, whether it be a Nintendo character or third party.

Examples: Chorus Kids, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager.

Again, NOT implying the surprises of obscure characters from obscure franchises.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Fan service is something that appeals to the fans, not ALL the fans. There is a huge pocket of retro fans, they can get Mach Rider, There is a huge pocket of Puzzle fans, they can get Lip, there are huge pockets of Indie characters, they can get Shantae/SK. It's ignorant to think fan service only applys to highest number of supports
It's ignorant to think that all Retro fans want Mach Rider.
It's ignorant to think all Puzzle fans want Lip.
It's ignorant to think all Indie fans want Butt Butt and Shantae.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Except that was for the main roster of Brawl. The main roster is bundled together. DLC doesn't have to be.

At this point, as I've said before, if you aren't Top 15, you're probably going to have issues. You have characters like K.Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Snake, Wolf, Bandanna Dee, who have all probably gotten hundreds of thousands of votes, if not millions. Then you have a retro who not nearly as many people voted for. Why the f would they add the retro if they're going for "fanservice"? It's not logical.

There honestly aren't too many feasible choices of characters they could add that fit Ryu's criteria. I would argue Snake, but he's a top contender in the ballot. So are Inklings. I really can't think of any other characters.

Fanservice means that it's going to be something that pleases a majority. DLC characters are not the same as main roster characters, because they need to be able to stand on their own. We already have Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas and Ryu to prove that. The next characters need to be able to do the same, and the ones I mentioned will easily be able to do that.

EDIT: Just saw your examples of Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. Again, they're MAIN ROSTER. If Wii Fit Trainer were released as DLC on her own, I would easily argue she wouldn't do/go over nearly as well.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
No I'm NOT implying the obscure characters from obscure franchises will happen like many of Nintendo's retros like Muddy Mole or Ashley Robbins. The kinds of characters are ones Schnee117 Schnee117 refers to as the "Ryu" type of characters. Again, the ones unexpected and not really requested by fans, but makes sense to a degree in terms of merits and various factors considered, whether it be a Nintendo character or third party.

Examples: Chorus Kids, Wii Fit Trainer, and Villager.

Again, NOT implying the surprises of obscure characters from obscure franchises.
I don't consider Villager a wild card at all. Sakurai easily changes his mind (see Miis and Pac-Man) and Animal Crossing wasn't gonna get kept out of Smash for too long.

He's not a Wild Card, hell he's a #1 pick

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It's ignorant to think that all Retro fans want Mach Rider.
It's ignorant to think all Puzzle fans want Lip.
It's ignorant to think all Indie fans want Butt Butt and Shantae.
You don't seem to understand basic logic. I never said EVERY fan wanted them. It would be fan service of Sakurai to say "Hmm I want to SERVICE the FANS of category X, Character Y is a good representative of Category X, I'l add him"

For some reason you all seem to think the word fan service means the majority opinion and nothing else.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Except that was for the main roster of Brawl. The main roster is bundled together. DLC doesn't have to be.

At this point, as I've said before, if you aren't Top 15, you're probably going to have issues. You have characters like K.Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Snake, Wolf, Bandanna Dee, who have all probably gotten hundreds of thousands of votes, if not millions. Then you have a retro who not nearly as many people voted for. Why the f would they add the retro if they're going for "fanservice"? It's not logical.

There honestly aren't too many feasible choices of characters they could add that fit Ryu's criteria. I would argue Snake, but he's a top contender in the ballot. So are Inklings. I really can't think of any other characters.

Fanservice means that it's going to be something that pleases a majority. DLC characters are not the same as main roster characters, because they need to be able to stand on their own. We already have Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas and Ryu to prove that. The next characters need to be able to do the same, and the ones I mentioned will easily be able to do that.
It doesn't have to be, but it doesn't mean Sakurai can agree with the DLC selection being entirely of requested characters.
Ryu is already an example of him surprising us with a character not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You don't seem to understand basic logic. I never said EVERY fan wanted them. It would be fan service of Sakurai to say "Hmm I want to SERVICE the FANS of category X, Character Y is a good representative of Category X, I'l add him"

For some reason you all seem to think the word fan service means the majority opinion and nothing else.
You literally said:
"There is a huge pocket of retro fans, they can get Mach Rider"
That implies they all want Mach Rider.

You aren't servicing Retro fans just because you're adding a Retro character. You're servicing fans of the character you're adding.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
'I don't take his quote to the fullest personally' So...Ignoring it?
'At one point he said clones we're fan-service to the people who bought Melee' Source. Unless you're talking about Sakurai making Dr. Mario his own character, because in that case you missed the point
'and claimed many times he doesn't like adding just popular characters back in a Brawl interview' That's a game at launch. This is added content post launch. Big difference
'It may or may not be the fan-service that fans want he's claiming it to be, and may add someone unexpected and not picked from the ballot, but makes sense to a degree and holds merits to give variety to the character DLC selection.
Example: Chorus Kids'
Chorus Kids'only merit is being part of a big franchise despite there being more iconic characters to work with
Fan service is something that appeals to the majority of fans, not ALL the fans.
****ing fixed.
There is a huge pocket of retro fans, they can get Mach Rider, There is a huge pocket of Puzzle fans, they can get Lip, there are huge pockets of Indie characters, they can get Shantae/SK. It's ignorant to think fan service only applys to highest number of supports
RamOne RamOne
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen Schnee117 Schnee117
lolno. As someone who wants Shantae, Shovel Knight and Mach Rider, you're giving these characters way too much credit. There are VERY niche
ALSO I BROUGHT UP RYU DAMMIT
I don't consider Villager a wild card at all. Sakurai easily changes his mind (see Miis and Pac-Man) and Animal Crossing wasn't gonna get kept out of Smash for too long.

He's not a Wild Card, hell he's a #1 pick
Animal Crossing was bound to get something, being a very popular franchise. Not to mention I remember hearing people being upsetwhen Sakurai denied Villager previously

That's actually ****ing dumb. This isn't basic logic. Here is basic logic 'We want to make enough money to justify the cost of DLC characters, so instead of adding incredibly niche characters like Lip, we'll add K.Rool so we can make profit'
It doesn't have to be, but it doesn't mean Sakurai can agree with the DLC selection being entirely of requested characters.
Ryu is already an example of him surprising us with a character not wanted highly, but has merits and a fanbase within their franchise outside of Smash.
DUDE. RYU IS A PRETTY DAMN POPULAR VIDEO GAME CHARACTER. I BROUGHT THIS UP. DONT ****ING PRETEND YOU DIDN'T SEE IT!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom