• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That's not how you spell Kos-Mos.

So does the Yarn Yoshis.

So does the Skylander Amiibos.

So does the 30th anniversary Mario Amiibos.

So did the Chibi-Robo Amiibo.

It means nothing as of yet.
The Yarn Yoshis, Skylanders, and 30th Anniversary Amiibo ARE all compatible, though. As long as its the same character its compatible. It doesn't matter what "line" it is.

There are some exceptions, of course. You need the 30th Anniversary Amiibo to unlock a special bonus in Mario Maker, and you need each version of the Yarn Yoshis to get the different colors (without getting them in 100 Mario Challenge). Yarn Yoshis are required for the co-op compatibility in Yoshi's Woolly World, but outside of Yoshi's Woolly World they work just like any other Yoshi.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/653046154020556801

So, yeah, it's an error. And no one is surprised.
None of us are surprised, but a lot of people think YCG is just lying (even though they've never once lied in any of their statements). Even GameXplain said this to me on Twitter. They keep using Yacht Club's old statements on the matter regarding past rumors. Namely their mentioning of the dates for retail Shovel Knight (they confirmed right then and there in that tweet they were trying to get it into retail, but nothing had been finalized), and later with the Amiibo (they ignored the real Amiibo's leak, but "confirmed" that the Smash Bros. line listing was fake, which it was).

They also outright debunked any notion of Shovel Knight in Smash amongst these tweets, saying they didn't know anything about it but would love for it to be the case.

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
“I’m aiming to make this the number one character game in the world.”
Masahiro Sakurai

How to read this data:
  • Compare values on the table for those DLC characters' likelihood in reference to one another.
  • Example: Isaac's odds when 2 characters are released are comparable to Ray Mk III's odds when 6 characters are released.
  • This data does not account for 'decreasing probability' for a character when another character from his/her franchise has been selected. i.e. if Dixie has less of a chance when King K. Rool makes it in.
  • Wolf is omitted on the assumption his inclusion is inevitable.
  • Ice Climbers are absent on the assumption their return in unaltered form is impossible.
  • This data does not account for the non-indie potential third party newcomers.
  • This is far from 'concrete' observation. Hell, who even knows how I came up with these numbers. This is purely speculation for conversation's sake.

Features of this data:
  • The likelihood for characters in D tier makes a noticeable jump when 6 characters are released.
  • The likelihood for characters above D tier makes a significant jump when 6 characters are released.
  • The likelihood for one character below C tier is comparable to the likelihood for King K. Rool when any amount of characters are released.
For reasoning behind the tier list, check the discussion from the preceding few pages of this thread.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So... Now we have a 4th guy claiming we're getting a new character soon.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This guy does Smashified art and other various art. Apparently he has a reliable source. :drsad:

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039

How to read this data:
  • Compare values on the table for those DLC characters' likelihood in reference to one another.
  • Example: Isaac's odds when 2 characters are released are comparable to Ray Mk III's odds when 6 characters are released.
  • This data does not account for 'decreasing probability' for a character when another character from his/her franchise has been selected. i.e. if Dixie has less of a chance when King K. Rool makes it in.
  • Ice Climbers are absent on the assumption their return in unaltered form is impossible.
  • This is far from 'concrete' observation. Hell, who even knows how I came up with these numbers. This is purely speculation for conversation's sake.

Features of this data:
  • The likelihood for characters in D tier makes a noticeable jump when 6 characters are released.
  • The likelihood for characters above D tier makes a significant jump when 6 characters are released.
  • The likelihood for one character below C tier is comparable to the likelihood for King K. Rool when any amount of characters are released.
For reasoning behind the tier list, check the discussion from the preceding few pages of this thread.
This is actually, FROM ALL OF THE CHARTS OF SPECULATION LIKELY-CHARACTERS, to be the most accurate, to be honest going from word of mouth, supporters, reach and opinions in various parts of the world, and overall popularity. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with the various characters to be considered.

:bowser:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ashley is absolutely the character I want the most in a future Smash game.
Her getting an Assist Trophy and a remix of her song in Smash 4, her strong support in Japan despite being an Assist Trophy, and her appearance in Mario Maker over other Wario series characters and indeed, other Mario characters, bodes quite well for her chances to be in more Nintendo games like Smash in the future. :)

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Ashley is absolutely the character I want the most in a future Smash game.
Her getting an Assist Trophy and a remix of her song in Smash 4, her strong support in Japan despite being an Assist Trophy, and her appearance in Mario Maker over other Wario series characters and indeed, other Mario characters, bodes quite well for her chances to be in more Nintendo games like Smash in the future. :)
Right? And when oh when are we ever going to see Wario characters like the WarioWare employees or Captain Syrup in Mario Kart? It's weird how separate they are to the rest of the Mario extended universe compared to the Donkey Kong Country characters, as many have made it into the sports titles and Funky Kong was even in Mario Kart Wii.

At least make Mona playable so we can ride her motorcycle. Sheesh, Nintendo.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This guy does Smashified art and other various art. Apparently he has a reliable source. :drsad:
With so many people saying it, yeah, I think someone's been revealing it and its been spreading to specific sources. Eventually, though, its going to spread to someone who WON'T keep it a secret. But since its supposed to be revealed this week, there's a very short time span for it to be revealed.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Jimmy T. should be the next Wario character. He would kick your butt with his sick dance moves. He'd be the next Wii Fit Trainer.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Alright time for some fun!
If a character with nothing on any Nintendo console got into Smash, who would you want?
Reimu Hakurei. Smash needs more passive-aggressive, terminally irresponsible shrine maidens!

Then I can justify wanting this theme in Smash.

To be honest, I'd be happy with any Touhou character. Reimu just happens to be the face of the series.

I'd be okay with Laharl from Disgaea, too~

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've said this on the Wolf thread and I'll say it again, Wolf is not shoo-in, K. Rool isn't shoo-in, in fact, no character is shoo-in, people need to stop thinking that they are.
So if no character were to be considered a shoo-in....

Would that mean that Mario has a chance of not being in Smash 5? :troll:

Honestly, I'm expecting Inklings or K.Rool/Other DK rep at this point.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
I would also expect the Inklings.
Why? Because all the people who said, that they are really hyped for the upcoming Smash character ...
are all huge Splatoon fans. (Sean and Roger)
Now this does not mean that it's them for sure! It could still be someone we all totally forgot about.

Personally, i wouldn't want to see the Inklings simply because i'm not that much interested in the franchise.
It's not even hate or something, i'm just not part of the fanbase.

Now, who would i want to see? Isaac from Golden Sun.
Do i think that he will be in Smash? Not really. He has his fanbase and support but it's still not enough,
many people never heard of the Golden Sun series before and it's not like it's a relevant series today.
Yeah there are 2 Golden Sun in Smash 4 Wii U but thats it, sadly.

Calane

Smash Ace
With everything we've been hearing, if these rumors are true, it's quite obviously going to be the Inklings. I personally find it a little boring (since I expected the Inklings to make it in at some point anyway), but I can see a lot of people getting really hyped about it. I never played Splatoon, so I have no real connection to the game or its characters. I most likely won't be playing as them either, but any character is good news at the very least.

Truth be told, I probably won't be hyped up unless Takamaru suddenly becomes playable. That's not likely to happen at all, so I'll most likely just be watching other peoples hype and being happy for them throughout this whole DLC character craze anyway. Bring on the Inklings, I guess.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
“I’m aiming to make this the number one character game in the world.”
Masahiro Sakurai

How to read this data:

Features of this data:
I agree with some stuff in this data...but not other stuff.

For one, again, we still need to keep in mind that Sakurai has said that "dead series" probably won't be considered as much. Then, you also need to take into consideration about "roster balance" which is to keep in mind that particular series probably aren't going to get more than one DLC character.

With that information (if Chibi-Robo Zip Lash really HAS bombed) Chibi-Robo and Isaac should be much lower. I love Isaac and Golden Sun. It's a great game and he has tons of potential and fans. But it is what it is. If Golden Sun is a "dead series" then he chances are going to be lower than others. Don't know how low I would put them because of that, but it doesn't matter.

Next, the 3rd parties. Shovel Knight and Shantae are indies (so already are short on 3rd party criteria) and have a questionable position in the ballot itself. Snake has much more going for him (legacy of MGS, position in the ballot, veteran of Smash). I would definitely put him AT LEAST a tier higher than the indies.

Again, those are just my changes. I would then argue the data would change depending on WHO get's added. If K.Rool gets added, I don't really know how likely Dixie would be. I would argue she would drop in the data. If Wolf gets in, I would also say Krystal would drop. If Star Fox Zero IS a reboot and Krystal is given the shaft, I doubt she's all that likely.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Reimu Hakurei. Smash needs more passive-aggressive, terminally irresponsible shrine maidens!

Then I can justify wanting this theme in Smash.

To be honest, I'd be happy with any Touhou character. Reimu just happens to be the face of the series.

I'd be okay with Laharl from Disgaea, too~
Laharl would actually be fantastic.

But there's one matter, Winnie.

This is how I found out about the series.

The Yarn Yoshis, Skylanders, and 30th Anniversary Amiibo ARE all compatible, though. As long as its the same character its compatible. It doesn't matter what "line" it is.

There are some exceptions, of course. You need the 30th Anniversary Amiibo to unlock a special bonus in Mario Maker, and you need each version of the Yarn Yoshis to get the different colors (without getting them in 100 Mario Challenge). Yarn Yoshis are required for the co-op compatibility in Yoshi's Woolly World, but outside of Yoshi's Woolly World they work just like any other Yoshi.
I was actually corrected about this K. Rool thread, something I legitimately didn't know.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not to be that guy, but this is a fairly risky assumption to make, especially this late in the DLC's life cycle. We've seen Wolf skipped several times already and there is a real chance he could actually not make it.

I'm not saying this because I hate Wolf or anything, I'm just pointing out that there is a margin of error that should be accounted for.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Warning Received
Because i'm at the end of my wits with half the **** that gets in.
I got a list, here's the order of my list that it's in.
It goes Ridley, Wolf, Rool and B. Dee
Krystal from Fox, Isaac, Impa, Toad, and then mii.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Laharl would actually be fantastic.

But there's one matter, Winnie.

This is how I found out about the series.
Oh right, the question was "has never been on a Nintendo console", wasn't it?

Well Reimu is fine then~ ;3

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not really. All he is saying is that he is excited for the next character. I could say the same thing with or without knowing who it is. The only thing he says that makes it seem like he knows is that he says he can't say any more. But I couldn't say anymore either if I didn't know who it was or when we would get him/her/it.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hooray for misinformation!

I visited the Amiibo page myself. When I went to the "lineup" tab, it listed every Amiibo made so far. The list was for ALL AMIIBO. Not just Smash amiibo.

Even so, if this confirms Shovel Knight, does that mean Digby, Tom Nook, Mabel, and Cyrus from Animal Crossing are also playable? NO. IT'S NOT FOR SMASH.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
This whole Amiibo situation means nothing, it was merly a mistake.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have to say this, Tamaki has stated several times that the Amiibo has nothing to do with the leak, he's stated that the retailers will be selling special download codes for the character and that he'll be revealed either later this month, or early next month, with that being the most likely time of reveal.
Correction, he specifically said the amiibo was not final when it indeed was. If this guy has inside information, how did he not know that was the final amiibo? Also, consider the "retailers selling specific downloads." His rumor was always from the retail sector. Doesn't it seem convenient to have the fact that retailers selling DLC. Thats when alarm bells have to start going off. As of this, the only retailer selling DLC is Amazon, and they are selling the codes. I have not seen or heard of any of the brick and mortar stores doing the same. Again, why are stores now selling DLC as well as Shovel Knight coming to Smash Bros. Why did he say the final amiibo was not final? These are all red flags. This is what makes me believe that he doesn't have anything.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Correction, he specifically said the amiibo was not final when it indeed was. If this guy has inside information, how did he not know that was the final amiibo? Also, consider the "retailers selling specific downloads." His rumor was always from the retail sector. Doesn't it seem convenient to have the fact that retailers selling DLC. Thats when alarm bells have to start going off. As of this, the only retailer selling DLC is Amazon, and they are selling the codes. I have not seen or heard of any of the brick and mortar stores doing the same. Again, why are stores now selling DLC as well as Shovel Knight coming to Smash Bros. Why did he say the final amiibo was not final? These are all red flags. This is what makes me believe that he doesn't have anything.
Burruni Burruni , we've found the gold mine my friend. Anyway, it's possible that retailers are only now giving out download codes, as for the Amiibo, I'm confused, he specifically told me that Shovel Knight was coming to Smash and that he'd get his own Amiibo, so wouldn't that mean that there'd be a Shovel Knight series Amiibo and a Smash one?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Nintendo is lost at the moment. From unadvertised releases, to not taking down the ballot when it was finished, to all the screw-ups on both the ssb4 site and the amiibo site, it seems like they are just fumbling around in the dark. This makes it so much worse when it comes to speculation because we all think there is something when it was just Nintendo making a mistake.

EDIT: I should have made more clear. I meant unadvertised smash DLC releases.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, what the heck, I go onto the Amiibo site and the Shovel Knight Amiibo is removed, along with every other Amiibo compatible with Smash, WTH!?

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Hooray for misinformation!

I visited the Amiibo page myself. When I went to the "lineup" tab, it listed every Amiibo made so far. The list was for ALL AMIIBO. Not just Smash amiibo.

Even so, if this confirms Shovel Knight, does that mean Digby, Tom Nook, Mabel, and Cyrus from Animal Crossing are also playable? NO. IT'S NOT FOR SMASH.
You were looking at a different page, but either way it still was a mistake.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Was Yacht Club Games really just covering up, it might be if the selection for Amiibo is gone.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was talking about the second page. EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!
They're probably just reformatting it, like I said in the edit. It was outdated, after all, listing stuff that had released almost half a year ago in addition to actual upcoming stuff.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
They're probably just reformatting it, like I said in the edit. It was outdated, after all, listing stuff that had released almost half a year ago in addition to actual upcoming stuff.
Do you think that Lucas will be added soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom