• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Is anyone other than me seriously expecting Rhythm Heaven DLC in some form?

Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus is doing very well in Japan, so it's still relevant. Besides, it's still not represented in Smash Bros. outside trophies and music.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was indifferent to the Mario Maker stage at first, then I remembered Mushroom Kingdom and now I am happy~ <3

I'm expecting good things come the 30th. I don't think Sakurai has ever kept this schtum about Smash content, and with the ballot about to wrap up, time's ripe for a tidal wave of smashing goodness~
With this stage being added, I can noww relax. Originally, if this idn't show up for Smash 4, I was gunning for Mushroom Kingdom (SSB), Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), or Mushroom Kingdom II (SSBM). Well, I ain't complaining no more!

Rhythm Tengoku: The Best Plus is doing very well in Japan, so it's still relevant. Besides, it's still not represented in Smash Bros. outside trophies and music.
I'm hoping for RH DLC content in Smash myself. It just seems so weird to me. Rhythm Heaven Fever was seriously all the hype during Smash 4's development cycle if I remember correctly. So the fact that all we got was trophies, and now music from the series alone makes me curious.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
At this point I will be so disappointed if there is no direct before the 30th.

I really need to find out who the next character might be. I have a feeling they would want Wolf to come out closer to StarfoxZero, possibly with a Starfox stage.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I guess I could see it happening, though they already added in Rhythm Heaven DLC content through the Miiverse stage. If they're going to add any DLC from some unrepresented new IP that's doing really well right now, I'd sooner expect more stuff out of Splatoon than Rhythm Heaven.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I have a feeling they'll be revealing the Ballot newcomer for the next Direct, personally. I don't see Wolf being announced (if he's even planned as DLC) untill at least a month before Starfox Zero releases.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Not really...Well...It depends on how they select characters.

Obviously they are going to put in the more popular choices, but if they also take any unique concepts that a voter might say into consideration, we might get a not-so-popular character. And since the Rhythm Heaven fans don't know who they want in the game, none of them are going to be very popular.

If we get a Rhythm Heaven stage, we must get Sumology, and that cat clap thing as music. (Among others of course)

ZeroInfinity

Smash Rookie
MMZ has vastly superior character design and aethetics than X.
Your opinion is wrong.
I honestly don't understand people like you. But this isn't the place to argue about which Zero is better, so I'll hold back on going on a massive rant.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Well TGS is underway - far fetched but we may get a third party reveal (or Yink via Hyrule Warriors! XD ) with it being so close to the 30th.

Metal Gear Online is being showcased the 16th - so maybe we will see Shadow Moses and Snake sneak in somehow (Nintendos online MGS functionality could be smash! Lol)

Square has a "secret" scheduled for half an hour on the 18th.

Ballot also doesn't neccesarily equate to characters being DLC in the game. It's largely done by Nintendo to get consumer information (read the privacy policy).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well TGS is underway - far fetched but we may get a third party reveal (or Yink via Hyrule Warriors! XD ) with it being so close to the 30th.

Metal Gear Online is being showcased the 16th - so maybe we will see Shadow Moses and Snake sneak in somehow (Nintendos online MGS functionality could be smash! Lol)

Square has a "secret" scheduled for half an hour on the 18th.

Ballot also doesn't neccesarily equate to characters being DLC in the game. It's largely done by Nintendo to get consumer information (read the privacy policy).
I'm not seeing it. We've got a slim shot at any third-parties right now because the circumstances surrounding the DLC stages do NOT support that option. A third-party would almost guaranteed come with a new stage, and would be bundled together with the character like in the case of Ryu.

Nintendo could easily have a press event planned for late in the week, or maybe they'll have a Nintendo Direct next week. However, a third-party in the next update? Extremely unlikely to happen, because a stage would be bundled with the character, and there's only any room for ONE more stage in this next update. Which means it would be sold separately, which basically rules out the chances of a third-party character announcement almost completely.

Last edited:

Sonicjamareiz

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
My friend got a hold of my social media accounts somehow and started posting random and stupid stuff please forget this post -_-

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Aww if there's a leak then the happy streak of complete surprises by the Smash team has already been broken, in less than a day.

We need more "big surprises" like the Super Mario Maker stage yesterday, that weren't leaked beforehand. I miss that. I miss being legitimately surprised without any "leaks" around so much.

FilmSeedot

Smash Rookie
II know people are getting tired of clones, but I think that shadow the hedgehog would make a very good Sonic clone. His neutral B could be homing attack, side B and down B can be soon dashes and Up B can be a teleporting chaos control and final smash can be super shadow. And he can be noticeable slower than Sonic but be a little heavier and more powerful. What do u guys think?

MainJPW

M.T.A
II know people are getting tired of clones, but I think that shadow the hedgehog would make a very good Sonic clone. His neutral B could be homing attack, side B and down B can be soon dashes and Up B can be a teleporting chaos control and final smash can be super shadow. And he can be noticeable slower than Sonic but be a little heavier and more powerful. What do u guys think?
I guess it could work but I wouldn't want him or any other Sonic character as dlc.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If Dark Pit's anything to go by then I don't think Shadow needs anymore of a hate base.
He's got his various Chaos Abilities like Blast and Spear to use as well.

Even then I'd prefer a Nintendo crossover got some Nintendo newcomers as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Aww if there's a leak then the happy streak of complete surprises by the Smash team has already been broken, in less than a day.

We need more "big surprises" like the Super Mario Maker stage yesterday, that weren't leaked beforehand. I miss that. I miss being legitimately surprised without any "leaks" around so much.
Could you imagine people reaction's to Ryu?

It could had been hilarious, but leaks had to screw it over.

EDIT: Shadow would be to Sonic what Wolf is to Fox.

He would have the similar specials and Final Smash, but he would have his own unique jabs, tilts, smash attacks, grab throws and aerials.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Could you imagine people reaction's to Ryu?

It could had been hilarious, but leaks had to screw it over.

EDIT: Shadow would be to Sonic what Wolf is to Fox.

He would have the similar specials and Final Smash, but he would have his own unique jabs, tilts, smash attacks, grab throws and aerials.
I still disagree on Shadow, because he's got massively different abilities. Yes, he's got some things he can use Sonic also can, but he's also got Chaos Blast (Down+B; he could possibly have Chaos Burst from Sonic Battle instead), Chaos Control (Up+B). Side+B could be Chaos Snap (teleports next to enemy and attacks), Neutral B would be Chaos Spear. Then his standard attacks are all based on his moves in Sonic Battle.

If his Down+B is Chaos Blast instead, his Final Smash can be Super Shadow, but instead of flying around like Super Sonic he teleports to the center of the stage and performs a giant Chaos Blast attack.

I don't think Shadow should be playable, but I hate the notion that he'd "instantly" be a Sonic clone, or the Wolf to Sonic, because Shadow has a track record of playing completely differently from Sonic in this style of game.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
If we were to get another Sonic character, I'd rather choose Dr. Eggman. I'd prefer Solid Snake's return, a Nintendo newcomer or veteran, and a third-party character from a company that hasn't got into Smash and has Nintendo history.

Sonicjamareiz

Smash Apprentice
instead of another sonic character how about a new sega character like NIGHTS or a namco character Klanoa

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad

Emerl. This character copies abilities and moves (And personalities?) of other Sonic characters. Of course it wouldn't be up there in popular demand due to it being a character coming from one GBA game. (Great alternative of having some of Shadow's moves without looking like Shadow, ending up looking like Sonic, thus ending with people moaning about a Sonic "clone")

If we're getting another character from SEGA, I'd prefer it isn't a part of the Sonic series.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Despite me being a Sonic fan, I kinda detract from more reps from that series but the only ones that I would take is Eggman, Knuckles and Tails all in that order.

Shadow is someone I don't want and Metal Sonic would be easier to work with but is low priority

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't want any 3rd party character series to have more than 1 rep. I'd much rather want other franchises in first so im happy N went with Ryu instead of another Megaman character who could be some sort of clone.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
My opinion on an additional Sonic character:

If you're looking for uniqueness, this guy takes the cake:

If you're looking for a bad*** character, here is your pick:

If you're looking for the role they play in Sonic, I'd argue these two:

Personally, I don't really want another Sonic character. However, if one were added, I think it's somewhat merited.

D

Deleted member

I still disagree on Shadow, because he's got massively different abilities. Yes, he's got some things he can use Sonic also can, but he's also got Chaos Blast (Down+B; he could possibly have Chaos Burst from Sonic Battle instead), Chaos Control (Up+B). Side+B could be Chaos Snap (teleports next to enemy and attacks), Neutral B would be Chaos Spear. Then his standard attacks are all based on his moves in Sonic Battle.

If his Down+B is Chaos Blast instead, his Final Smash can be Super Shadow, but instead of flying around like Super Sonic he teleports to the center of the stage and performs a giant Chaos Blast attack.

I don't think Shadow should be playable, but I hate the notion that he'd "instantly" be a Sonic clone, or the Wolf to Sonic, because Shadow has a track record of playing completely differently from Sonic in this style of game.
Thank you.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, despite being a major first party with a lot of quality output over four generations Sega doesn't have a lot of series that have sold amazingly, at least according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises. I don't see Nintendo going through the headache of negotiating character rights for someone as niche as, say, Nights, unfortunately. The only currently Sega-owned franchises tracked here are Sonic (which leads the next franchise by over 100 million!), MegaTen, Yakuza, and Football Manager. This list doesn't take into account the great success Sega has had with arcades, so I think it's safe to add mega hits like Virtua Fighter, Outrun and Daytona USA as significant as well.

Of all of those the only viable characters I can think of are Sonic Character #2, Jack Frost or something else that represents the whole of the Megami Tensei series, or Akira from Virtua Fighter (though I'm not sure we need another third party fighting game character wearing a gi right now). Public support might also make them consider Bayonetta, I suppose, though personally I have my doubts.

(also my distaste for the prospect of Shadow being added has less to do with his clone potential and more to do with him being quite possibly the worst character in all of video games)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, despite being a major first party with a lot of quality output over four generations Sega doesn't have a lot of series that have sold amazingly, at least according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises. I don't see Nintendo going through the headache of negotiating character rights for someone as niche as, say, Nights, unfortunately. The only currently Sega-owned franchises tracked here are Sonic (which leads the next franchise by over 100 million!), MegaTen, Yakuza, and Football Manager. This list doesn't take into account the great success Sega has had with arcades, so I think it's safe to add mega hits like Virtua Fighter, Outrun and Daytona USA as significant as well.

Of all of those the only viable characters I can think of are Sonic Character #2, Jack Frost or something else that represents the whole of the Megami Tensei series, or Akira from Virtua Fighter (though I'm not sure we need another third party fighting game character wearing a gi right now). Public support might also make them consider Bayonetta, I suppose, though personally I have my doubts.

(also my distaste for the prospect of Shadow being added has less to do with his clone potential and more to do with him being quite possibly the worst character in all of video games)
In your opinion. Personally, I very much like Shadow honestly. He's currently my second favorite Sonic character. I don't like how he was portrayed post-SA2, his return was handled very poorly. But as a character himself he's very deep and complex, which is what I like about him. My overall favorite Sonic character right now is Tikal oddly enough... I grew to like her pretty much because I thought she was also an interesting and deep character but unlike Shadow, never really got a whole lot of development.

Its also the same reason I like Saria pretty much. I thought she was a really great character that was lacking a lot in character development with potential to expand her more.

I do agree that I can't really see anyone else from SEGA other than a second Sonic character. And frankly, I do think they'd probably pick Shadow first if they chose anyone. I don't think we will get a second SEGA character for this very reason, honestly, because I don't think Sakurai will want a second character from the same third-party franchise, and SEGA doesn't really have any major viable candidates other than a second Sonic character.

I guess you could technically consider maybe Atlus, but although Atlus is now owned by SEGA, they're still largely their own entity for the most part. And frankly I'm not really sure Atlus is big enough to be considered.

EDIT: Holy s***, and people wonder why SEGA pushes Sonic so much. I knew Sonic was over 100m. What I did not realize is that the next highest SEGA franchise is Yakuza which is UNDER 10m--barring Megami Tensei, which is Atlus, and even that's not even 15m.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Shadow had an amazing character concept in Sonic Adventure 2. I thought his backstory was great and interesting. His "ending" in SA2 was pretty touching as well. In my opinion, that should've been it. I don't really like the way they brought him back. IF he were to reappear, they should've brought him back in the needs to happen sequel, Sonic Adventure 3.

Also, I think topics involving Shadow bring a poor taste because of the many 13 year olds on the internet. I admit that they steer me away sometimes.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yeah. Personally, I would honestly just take a SEGA rep from a different franchise. However, if I HAD to choose someone form Sonic, then by all means, I will ONLY take Tails. If it's someone from a completely different SEGA series however, that, for me, is a TOTALLY different story. From only wanting, rather than bothering to judge how "likely" someone is to join Smash, you all would not believe my choices on a completely different SEGA rep. As a matter of fact, there's currently one SEGA rep who I've recently been greatly advocating for to join Smash for a couple of months now, and the only SEGA/3rd party rep I voted for on the official Smash Ballot, no less! Even though even I know that unless Japan plays a bigger factor in the Ballot than we do, I know it may never happen...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It was nice that a big announcement wasn't leaked for once. Maybe the upcoming Smash DLC will be the first Smash announcement that won't be spoiled since Robin/Lucina last year. There's still two weeks left and god knows there's probably somebody out there that's half feral trying to dig through game and website coding right now to find some sort of clue.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It was nice that a big announcement wasn't leaked for once. Maybe the upcoming Smash DLC will be the first Smash announcement that won't be spoiled since Robin/Lucina last year. There's still two weeks left and god knows there's probably somebody out there that's half feral trying to dig through game and website coding right now to find some sort of clue.
Thanks for giving me that idea. Now I want to look myself lol. I doubt there's anything around, though. They've been VERY careful recently.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I have wanted Sonic and Tails in Smash ever since the April Fools day prank for Melee. Once Sonic appeared without Tails, I felt as though he was a little bit lackluster, and it was not the half dozen spin attacks that made me feel that way. Tails is the Luigi of the franchise and I have always (and by always, I mean about 10-15 years ago) perceived Sonic on par with Mario. Maybe that is just because I started the series with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Regardless, my desire for a second Sonic character is fairly non-existent. However, the child in me wants it to happen.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Emerl. This character copies abilities and moves (And personalities?) of other Sonic characters. Of course it wouldn't be up there in popular demand due to it being a character coming from one GBA game. (Great alternative of having some of Shadow's moves without looking like Shadow, ending up looking like Sonic, thus ending with people moaning about a Sonic "clone")

If we're getting another character from SEGA, I'd prefer it isn't a part of the Sonic series.
Man a Character that could use a mix of everyone's moves sounds both amazing and a pain to program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom