• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Do you guys think we are over exaggerating the strictness of Square too much? If they aloud a FF/DQ crossover with Mario multiple times, wouldn't they have a good enough relationship with Nintendo to allow one of their characters in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you guys think we are over exaggerating the strictness of Square too much? If they aloud a FF/DQ crossover with Mario multiple times, wouldn't they have a good enough relationship with Nintendo to allow one of their characters in.
They refused Cloud and Lara Croft in PSABR, they copyright claimed a YT video because it had Cloud's hair, SE went '**** you' to Nintendo in the late 90's and we haven't seen a new mainseries FF game on Nintendo since what? FFVI?

I honestly don't know what are actually the chances of SE character in Smash, but I'd reckon that they aren't very good for this Smash. I'd love to see Black Mage in Smash, and I think he is the most likely SE character.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I think Square Enix's "strictness" is a bit bloated. Both halves of Square Enix have history on Nintendo platforms and games still happen on Nintendo platforms to this day. I even voted for a Square Enix character from the SNES era on the Smash Ballot.

They refused Cloud and Lara Croft in PSABR, they copyright claimed a YT video because it had Cloud's hair, SE went '**** you' to Nintendo in the late 90's and we haven't seen a new mainseries FF game on Nintendo since what? FFVI?
They haven't abandoned Nintendo completely. They got 3DS releases such as Bravely Default and Theatrythm sub-franchise of Final Fantasy. A Dragon Quest game is considered for the upcoming NX if I can recall correctly. It would make a statement about the strictness if Square Enix did allow Nintendo to have a character in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think Square Enix's "strictness" is a bit bloated. Both halves of Square Enix have history on Nintendo platforms and games still happen on Nintendo platforms to this day. I even voted for a Square Enix character from the SNES era on the Smash Ballot.

They haven't abandoned Nintendo completely. They got 3DS releases such as Bravely Default and Theatrythm sub-franchise of Final Fantasy. A Dragon Quest game is considered for the upcoming NX if I can recall correctly. It would make a statement about the strictness if Square Enix did allow Nintendo to have a character in Smash.
Again, mainseries games. Though I do remember hearing FFXV on NX or something. Point is, SE has been very strict in the past and they haven't improved

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only 3rd party characters I want are from Rare, only because I feel they are stolen from me and should've been 2nd party and in the last 2 installments of Smash anway.

MainJPW

M.T.A
My most wanted 3rd parties are Bomberman, Rayman and Simon Belmont...just throwing that out there. It's a shame they're pretty much unlikely at this point in time.

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I want Maxwell. Yet, since Warner Bros. isn't primarily a video game company, I'm afraid to say we probably won't ever see him at all.

Speaking of Rayman, where did all of his love go to? He used to be one of the most requested Smash characters, and I expected him to win the ballot.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Again, mainseries games. Though I do remember hearing FFXV on NX or something. Point is, SE has been very strict in the past and they haven't improved
That could change, but as it stands, it may take a decent hardware in the NX for Square Enix to consider a mainstream release. As I hate to say this, both parties might need to give a little bit and fans must be willing to get a Square Enix game on Nintendo platforms in general (not just interested). On a side note, I would be interested in a Nintendo release of a mainstream game, though. I'll partially agree with you here.

Only 3rd party characters I want are from Rare, only because I feel they are stolen from me and should've been 2nd party and in the last 2 installments of Smash anway.
I can agree to disagree with you here on third parties, but it would be nice if Nintendo purchased Rare or at least their IPs back.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I want Maxwell. Yet, since Warner Bros. isn't primarily a video game company, I'm afraid to say we probably won't ever see him at all.

Speaking of Rayman, where did all of his love go to? He used to be one of the most requested Smash characters, and I expected him to win the ballot.
WB is almost as bad as Konami, they don't deserve anything related to Smash

Rayman was a bandwagon. That's literally what you described

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
While I'm not too keen on most third parties, I'd be delighted to see Bomberman make an appearance. I think having a whole moveset thriving off explosions sounds wonderful~

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Its the rear indeed. Definitely hers since its feminine and her back is unnaturally sharply curved plus them mentioning moon confirms smashified are doing Bayonetta.

However Krystal ia next. Two big clues posted already. Before Bayo there could be someone else too since the model looks very early on so we'll see.

As for other 3rd parties.... I always wanted Rayman and it still shocks me that most of his support was from the bandwagon. Really thought he was more requested tho i guess people are still stupidly annoyed at Legends not being an exclusive lmao...

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You forgot After Story for Wii U, which is a pretty big deal because it is canon.

Actually, nevermind. You're right.

ACTUALLY

IV got a "sequel" of sorts on VC a while ago, so there is that.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Not gonna happen. There's no way Microsoft will let go of Rare or their IP's.
I know. It's just wishful thinking. I would rather have Rare or its IPs back with Nintendo before I would want them in Smash. It's personal opinion.

D

Deleted member

Because when I see a defined ass with the character in question associated with the color blue, the first thing I think of is Dixie Kong. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Hmm actually I think your right.

Though I think after whoever is next, Krystal will happen because blue hair lol. Besides, I got confirmation Bayonetta will NOT be finished before the Smash Ballot ends but 'other characters' before her will.

So bear with me while I cry in a corner.;_; #noinfluenceforpollnow

EDIT: I need to make a banner with all my current wants, so Inkling, Bayonetta, KRool, Medusa, Snake, Wolf and Impa.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Something to note about 3rd parties: the characters themselves must have appeared on a Nintendo console, not just the series.

Cloud has apparently had two minor appearances in Kingdom Hearts and some rhythm game, but I'm not sure if that really counts. We don't know how Sakurai's mind works.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Something to note about 3rd parties: the characters themselves must have appeared on a Nintendo console, not just the series.

Cloud has apparently had two minor appearances in Kingdom Hearts and some rhythm game, but I'm not sure if that really counts. We don't know how Sakurai's mind works.
Cloud's appearances on a Nintendo platform are indeed:
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts: Re:Coded
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Curtain Call, both I'd say qualify since they're supposed to be celebrations of Final Fantasy as a whole (including FFVII), unlike KH where Cloud has a minor role in the overarching stories. (Next thing we know, we get the chibi-Cloud and a rhythm moveset) :p

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Martingale recorded a top 25 for the poll so far:

I know this might be a little premature, but at this early stage, I've done up the data on who's leading this poll. It's definitely far less skewed than we assumed, and I've tried to do standardised averages across the board You can check it out here!

D

Deleted member

Am i the only one who is getting flashbacks of September 2014 with all those japanese players streaming the game and the like?

Those were scary times.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not gonna happen. There's no way Microsoft will let go of Rare or their IP's.
Why? It's not like they are doing anything with them. (They probably are, I just don't know/care about the ones they are still using.)

Note: I'm reffering to the IPs, not Rare itself. I highly doubt they would have a whole sub-company and not do a thing with it.

EDIT: Still... Unless you ended the series, or don't want to lower the value of a series, then you should let someone else do something with it. (but that's just me.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why? It's not like they are doing anything with them. (They probably are, I just don't know/care about the ones they are still using.)

Note: I'm reffering to the IPs, not Rare itself. I highly doubt they would have a whole sub-company and not do a thing with it.

EDIT: Still... Unless you ended the series, or don't want to lower the value of a series, then you should let someone else do something with it. (but that's just me.)
Apparently Rare Replay, KI3 (which has RASH FROM BATTLETOADS) and Conker Big's reunion don't exist.

They are using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Not to say a Square character is likely, but on the topic of character having a low chance based on not having any recent major Nintendo titles, wouldn't that include Ryu?

If I'm not mistaken, there hasn't been a recent major Street fighter game on an Nintendo Home console system for a long time. All I can think of is that 3ds port of Street fighter 4.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Isn't the Square thing just sarumor, we don't know the reasons for Square characters not appearing in the game.

The bold doesn't relate to the strictness of Square, they may have left Nintendo at that one point, but eventually when the DS/Wii/3DS era came out, Square had tons of support for Nintendo, Nintendo helped out publish most of it's titles on Nintendo platforms (Bravely Default/Most of the Dragon Quests for example). They even aloud Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy to crossover with Mario titles in the past with Mario Sports and Fortune Street. Can you really say they are strict in the case of Nintendo? In the case of Smash, Square knows they can get huge cash in their pockets if they advertise one of their characters in Smash.

Also HYPE DLC!:

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
So, after some research, I looked into the SourceGaming polls answers and roughly got an answer as to "most popular character". I took the # of votes from the 4 and 5 section, and got a percentage out of the total votes in that specific section of the polls. For instance, let's say there's 100 votes for one poll, and 20 people said "Yes" to Wolf, then it'd be 20%.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at what I saw. Now, keep in mind this is in no way official, and is just me investigating. The polls aren't done yet whatsoever, so there's still a chance for things to drastically change.
  1. Wolf (71.1%)
  2. Inkling (68.3%)
  3. Isaac / Ice Climbers (66.3%)
  4. King K. Rool (64.6%)
  5. Snake (63.8%)
  6. Bomberman / Banjo & Kazooie (56.5%)
  7. Dixie Kong (51.9%)
  8. Shovel Knight (51.5%)
  9. Chibi-Robo (49.9%)
  10. Impa (48.4%)
  11. Shantae (48.1%)
  12. Bandanna Dee / Rayman (45.2%)
  13. Wonder Red (45%)
  14. Ridley (44.2%)
  15. Phoenix Wright / Simon Belmont (43.2%)
Honorable mentions are (in order): Prof. Layton, Tetra, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Krystal, Squirtle, Bayonetta, Ivysaur, Amaterasu, Captain Toad, Takamaru, Black Shadow, Skull Kid, Masked Link, Midna, Sceptile, Ray MK III, Black Mage, Chorus Kids, Viewtiful Joe, Eggman, Andy of Advance Wars, Hades and Ashley.

I'm personally surprised at Isaac surpassing K. Rool, or seeing Bomberman / Chibi-Robo up so high.
I think Bomberman has really gained from Ryu being added. Beforehand everyone assumed there was some kind of one character per company quota but after that was firmly busted Snake fans (along with the occasional Castlevania fan) don't feel as threatened by the perceived 'competition' of another Konami-owned franchise.

At least, that's the only way I can explain what looks like a pretty large boom of support recently. I've always scratched my head at how little support he's garnered comparatively, always seemed like one of the obvious choices to me.

Also delighted that Chibi-Robo is in the top ten, another one I've wanted since the Gamecube era. I think that's probably down to the upcoming game proving the franchise isn't dead and giving him more stuff for a potential moveset.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well the new smash dlc helps Splatoon a bit even if just a bit.

For those saying they might want to save Inklings for Smash 5, they are clearly using a very recent game in Smash bros. One that could've probably been very hype for smash 5.

Of course, I do say just a little bit. Mario maker is still a Mario game, and this is a stage and not a character. Still, stages could probably sell copies just like the characters. Especially a complex stage like this.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Clearly this means that Paper Mario is coming with Super Mario Maker stage, wherein they announce that the stage also switches to Paper Mario style aesthetics, followed by an announcement of such aesthetics being DLC for Super Mario Maker itself.

I can dream.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well the new smash dlc helps Splatoon a bit even if just a bit.

For those saying they might want to save Inklings for Smash 5, they are clearly using a very recent game in Smash bros. One that could've probably been very hype for smash 5.

Of course, I do say just a little bit. Mario maker is still a Mario game, and this is a stage and not a character. Still, stages could probably sell copies just like the characters. Especially a complex stage like this.
Or we could just get a Splatoon stage and no characters.

But seriously, I'm expecting a character reveal soon now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Or we could just get a Splatoon stage and no characters.

But seriously, I'm expecting a character reveal soon now.
Thought about it, but I feel they would have made one closer to Splatoon's launch. Especially if it is a Nintendo EAD game like Mario Maker. This seems to be advertisement. The only other possibility I can think of is that they are going to reveal more stages leading up to the 30th and have like a pack. Which granted is still quite possible.

If not though, then I feel that they decided to hold off on making a Splatoon stage. The reason being, is that they wanted to gauge Splatoon's popularity so they can just bundle it with the Inklings if they decide to make them a newcomer. All speculation but I think it makes sense.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'm really anticipating a character making their appearance alongside this stage and more Mii Costumes. However I'm not really certain on who to expect. Hoping for Chibi Robo because this is close to the Zip Lash release. But if this is a ballot character, could be Krool, Wolf, Dee, Isaac, among many others.

D

Deleted member

Nintendo announces new president, new stage is revealed, september 30th and the end of the ballot is on the same week.....

Oh no..
NINTEDO DIRECT INCOMING AROUND NEXT WEEK 111111!11!
God what is wrong with me.....

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Nintendo announces new president, new stage is revealed, september 30th and the end of the ballot is on the same week.....

Oh no..
It only makes too much sense. I'll try to not get my hype up, but it's hard to contain right now.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Re posting this here because.....well, I meant to post it here. It may be relevant with the Sept 30th update coming.

One of the things I've been pondering is what the next wave of DLC will entail. I wrote on SourceGaming that we've reached the end of the Pre-Ballot stuff. Most of what was been released was shown off as late as mid-June and a lot of that was planned even earlier. We've really been left in the dark since and its mid-September now. You think that they've had to be working on something in the background. On a similar note, the ballot ends October 3rd. Will they not decide any characters until after that? Also, what other content will they release. I've been wondering if they'll have any more mode, and it seems plausable with how long it's taking to show us anything new.

For those of you who don't know, Nintendo often shows a lot off in the fall. Nintendo use to do something called Space World instead of attend the Tokyo Game Show (a trade show on the scale of E3). Nintendo stopped Spaceworld a long time ago, but still showed off information, and this was later co-opted by the Nintendo Directs. I don't expect Nintendo to attend the Tokyo Game Show, so I wouldn't doubt they will show off a lot more information on games coming out in the fall (Starfox Zero, Tri-Force Heroes) and early next year. Perhaps that is when they will show off Smash news. (Fun fact: Sonic was shown off during Nintendo's fall presentation)

So hopefully we'll hear some more new in October. Maybe Nintendo will start doing Directs again. I'd like to here your guys thoughts on this, so feel free to add.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Considering the timing, I think the most likely character is K. Rool, and maybe Wolf alongside him if they do two. However, I do think they'd announce a newcomer first.

Oh no..
Definitely feels like we should be getting a Direct soon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I want to get on another topic, do you guys think it's possible that pre ballot characters could be revealed alongside ballot characters in future Smash updates. We all proposed that that pre ballot would end then ballot characterswould come next, but I think both of them being revealed in updates is a feasible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom