• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
So what exactly determines the winner of the Smash Ballot? Most votes, most potential, or just a character that sparks Sakurai's interest?
While we don't know the exact specifics of the ballot, I would say it's all 3 you mentioned, with more emphasis on the latter two. Now if only we knew how many characters were to be chosen...

Actually, that would probably make things more heated, and people arguing about characters taking other character's slot, so I guess it's better that we don't know.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

Technically, Sonic didn't have a game on Nintendo during Melee's development, but he had two games in development towards the end of Melee's development that came out one month after to where Sonic could have reasonably have been used in Smash as promotion.

Hence Naka's statement about Melee being too late in development for Sonic's addition.
EDIT: Well, he said "time constraints". But that can mean that there wouldn't have been enough time to add him since Melee was near complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Okay, followup question:

What if a clone (or several) were included with the ballot winner(s) as "free dessert"?
I don't think that'd even be possible unless the clone is a clone of an actual ballot winner and was meant to be a costume of them. You know, like the other clones.
If Alph ended up being upgraded it would be pretty cool, but that's probably not happening this game. I doubt they'll do a change as massive as that to the existing cast.

As for semi-clones, if the character isn't unique in body type or franchise it's plausible for them to be a semi-clone of sorts (Dixie Kong is a thing, after all). But those characters don't really count as clones in my book. If the character gets development time devoted to them, they will not be exact clones of existing characters. Falco, Ganondorf, and Roy prove that to me. Devoted development time allows them to create new assets for fighters as opposed to reusing them and altering move attributes.

- - - - - -

You know, it's kinda weird thinking on how October really is just around the corner. Little more than a month away till the Ballot officially closes. Time sure has flown by fast, hasn't it?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
You know, it's kinda weird thinking on how October really is just around the corner. Little more than a month away till the Ballot officially closes. Time sure has flown by fast, hasn't it?
Walking on this pathway we call Time always seems slow until we turn around to see how far we've come

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
That moment you walk into Wal-Mart and the shelves are full of Marth, Villager and Captain Falcon amiibos...O_O

I wonder has anyone else been collecting (or attempting to collect) amiibos?

MainJPW

M.T.A
That moment you walk into Wal-Mart and the shelves are full of Marth, Villager and Captain Falcon amiibos...O_O

I wonder has anyone else been collecting (or attempting to collect) amiibos?
All I wanted was Ness and the upcoming Lucas. More Mother merchandise is always welcome.

Did you already own those amiibos and if not did you buy them?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
All I wanted was Ness and the upcoming Lucas. More Mother merchandise is always welcome.

Did you already own those amiibos and if not did you buy them?
I bought one of each, might as well since its guaranteed the next time I go there they'll be gone...
I'm eagerly awaiting the ZSS Falco and Ganondorf amiibos however...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speak for yourself dude lol. It feels like forever since the Ballot was announced and were still pretty far away from the Ballot's end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's really hoping there's an announcement for a Direct tomorrow like there was for the April 1st Direct the day before it happened. This drought of DLC hypeness is really making things lame because all the hype and excitement has worn off now that we've discussed almost everything there is to discuss about potential DLC characters in the game and we need something that will really create a buzz like how the April 1st Direct did.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Sonic and Link have both turned into Wolves of sorts before
Now Link and Sonic are both wearing scarves
Link has spiky blue Zora Tunic Armour
Sonic has worn Link's outfit

Link and Sonic confirmed for BFFS

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Both have communicated with multi-tailed yellow foxes...

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026

Both have tiny fairy creatures that follow them around...

LuluTheBean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poppy2014
While we don't know the exact specifics of the ballot, I would say it's all 3 you mentioned, with more emphasis on the latter two. Now if only we knew how many characters were to be chosen...

Actually, that would probably make things more heated, and people arguing about characters taking other character's slot, so I guess it's better that we don't know.
At least we know we're getting more than one, infact I think Sakurai said several characters!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If there;s people that want to complain about "Anime" in Smash Bros, then they shouldn't like the idea of having anyone from SMT X FE really.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hm. I really don't want anymore third party characters. But if I had to pick a second rep for SEGA... Hmm...

I'd prolly go with NiGHTs. What? He's not on there?

D

Deleted member

I thought he was done already.
The real question is, where the flying **** is VECTORMAN?
Vectorman, he's for sure the most Underrated Sega character in history:

I would KILL for a Vectorman Mii costume. (and a new Vectorman game WOULD BE AWESOME!)

Speaking of Vectorman, compare this song:

To this (listen closely at 0:45):

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The most Underrated Sega character in history:

I would KILL for a Vectorman Mii costume. (and a new Vectorman game WOULD BE AWESOME!)

Speaking of Vectorman, compare this song:

To this (listen closely at 0:45):
Sega co-developed F-Zero GX with AM2 studios so it ain't far fetched for that to happen

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Okay, followup question:

What if a clone (or several) were included with the ballot winner(s) as "free dessert"?
It wouldn't really surprise me if one or more of the ballot DLC characters were a clone/semi-clone in order to maximize the number of new fighters we get. I think adding a veteran like Wolf would make sense for similar reasons.

Dixie and Daisy would be my top two picks for that type of newcomer. While I'd certainly prefer for them to be completely original characters, I'd be happy to see them make it as clone type characters. If they got the Lucas or Luigi treatment, I think their movesets would still do them justice. If Sakurai and co. decided to add a clone that was more like Lucina or Dark Pit, I think Daisy would still make some sense, but personally, I'd rather just have a separate Alph if it comes to that, since I feel like all but Olimar's final smash fit Alph and being a separate character could help fix that.

I used to find clone fighters a bit bothersome, but after reading Sakurai's thoughts on them in Source Gaming's translations of his columns, I've started to come around to them. I think it's fair to classify them as "free dessert" [edit: I mean "free" as in doesn't take a "slot" from a unique fighter, I understand that any future DLC fighters will probably be paid DLC] and I don't believe they really reduce the number of unique characters we get since the amount of time required to make them is significantly less than that required to create a completely new character. I've also noticed that many clones actually become pretty popular after they're added (e.g., Falco, Roy) even if at the time they might disappoint people who wanted more unique movesets.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
People keep using the term 'free dessert' but keep in mind this is paid DLC unless these clones are actually 'FREE' then that term doesn't apply...the base roster is different than DLC...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
People keep using the term 'free dessert' but keep in mind this is paid DLC unless these clones are actually 'FREE' then that term doesn't apply...the base roster is different than DLC...
I would imagine they are either free or the same as a Mii costume or a stage...
Though I'd happily pay full price for Pichu because Pichu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom