• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Can someone please explain why Nephalem's Valor resets on changing skills? Its a ridiculously frustrating and makes the game way less fun as a result.

They have this awesome system where you can switch skills easily and quickly but then when you hit 60 they punish you for using that system. Its like they're encouraging you to find one build and just farm away with that.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I had Neph Tier 5...

Was going to Diablo.

Accidently clicked my Poison Darts and took them off.

FUUUUUUU

Zoler

Smash Ace
June Hotfixes

June 8

General
  • In cooperative games, monster damage will no longer increase when additional players join the game. Please note that monster health will still scale based on the number of players in a party

Bug Fixes
  • Tyrael no longer has collision when he is your active follower
  • Pots of ashes in Act I and vases in Act IV will now drop less gold when destroyed
  • Fixed a bug where players could turn in the same quest repeatedly and always receive rewards as though they were completing the quest for the first time

They nerfed ZK runs so that there is still no way to efficiently get to level 60. ****ing Blizzard.
There's a lot more that's not in the notes.

Tyrael doing 1.2k dmg instead of ~50k like before for example.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
^ I had Neph Tier 5...

Was going to Diablo.

FUUUUUUU
The only way to fix that is to turn off elective mode after you have everything set where you want.

Also them tyreal nerfs.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I hear turning off elective mode locks in your skills

PS **** YOU ****ING NINJA

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can someone please explain why Nephalem's Valor resets on changing skills? Its a ridiculously frustrating and makes the game way less fun as a result.

They have this awesome system where you can switch skills easily and quickly but then when you hit 60 they punish you for using that system. Its like they're encouraging you to find one build and just farm away with that.
NV at least gives some sort of depth is regards to thinking about a build and making something work. They wanted people to be able to experiment all the way to 60 but still have some reason to pick a build instead of just switching for every encouter. I think NV is the best thing they've done in the game lol makes MFing much easier than D2 gearwise and I like thinking about my build knowing I'm not going to be able to change it during the run, but still having the option to change it after.

^ I had Neph Tier 5...

Was going to Diablo.

FUUUUUUU
Yeah this sucks. In addition to what people said earlier they are most likely adding a skillbar lock option into the next patch.

Kal

Smash Champion
At the same time, Hylian, it eliminates the depth of knowing what builds work for certain encounters. You learn one optimized build for whatever you are farming, and you stick with it. I think it would be far more entertaining and deeper to be encouraged to change builds for each encounter.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
At the same time, Hylian, it eliminates the depth of knowing what builds work for certain encounters. You learn one optimized build for whatever you are farming, and you stick with it. I think it would be far more entertaining and deeper to be encouraged to change builds for each encounter.
This is true, though I still feel like I personally know with my character what skills are better for what. For example for belial switching my charge to leap makes it a lot eaiser because I can just tank his 1-2-3 shot on reaction rather than dodging it and get more damage in. If I'm fighting a pack with frozen or jailer though charge is a must have. I personally like making that choice because I think it would be pretty easy if I could just have both. That's just me though, I wouldn't mind what you are saying at all because it makes sense.

Keep in mind though skills used to not make NV go on cooldown when they first presented the idea. A lot of people complained about it on the forums saying they wanted some sort of reason to stick to a build so blizzard changed it.

Kal

Smash Champion
I would agree with switching skills ending Nephalem Valor if this game were in a different genre. For me, it's just not the kind of game where any meaningful skill involved. The skill in this game is mostly rudimentary application of "use the right skills," and "move out of the way of bad stuff." It just seems *** backwards to force people to stick with builds in order to increase depth when the increase in depth is minimal at best.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What do you suggest I farm for decent gear? The 600 dps weps on HC are worth like 250k to up to 1 mil if the stats are right... maybe even more.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yesterday, I'd have suggested doing 3x ZK runs and taking a profit, then taking that profit to gear up. Today, I don't know. The "farm Act I approximately forever" suggestion sounds good.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I realize how silly I was being, trying to explain my expectation that Diablo III not have a ****ty story. Just compare Diablo II's opening cutscene with literally any aspect of story telling in Diablo III.
Man. Can you imagine that cutscene redone with the amazing CGI Blizzard employs for their games nowadays? That'd be ****ing sick.

I kinda miss D2's atmosphere in general.

Smooth Criminal, you still haven't told me your RealID. Also, we should discuss Avatar. Did you see Legend of Korra last week? Mind = Blown

alibi_of_tyrants@yahoo.com is my RealID, btw. Try not to **** it TOO hard. I'm still bad at this game.

Yeah, Kal, I saw that and today's episode. Legend of Korra is turning into a very worthy successor/sequel to the original Avatar series. I'm loving it. "It's time for you to be equalized."

As for the "
we are the children of angels and demons
" thing, I am actually somewhat pleased with that retcon. It made sense, and added to the lore without ****** anything (compared to, say, retconning the Warrior in Diablo I to be Leoric's son, which is just absurd). What made no sense, however, is how
Tyrael ripping of his wings made him human
. Peculiar that, within the same game they introduced the retcon, they would contradict it.
Oh no. I should've clarified, man. I liked it---I just thought the way that it was integrated into the story's overreaching theme (HERP DERP WE ALL HAVE GOOD AND EBIL INSIDE OF US) was just really corny and cliche. It wasn't even, like, cleverly conceived. In the span of that revelation up until the ending, I literally went from "that's kinda cool" to "oh, goddamn it, really?"

(Also, shout-outs to Metzen ripping off of Cataclysm's ending. THE AGE OF THE MORTALS HAZ BEGUN.)

One of the things I like about the worlds Blizzard creates is that despite their patchwork nature (they borrow from A LOT of sources), their constant alteration of their mythos (Deathwing died twice but was magically alive and planning **** for Cataclysm, Garona's magical racebending, Medivh having a son, et cetera), and the stories themselves (I guess that kinda ties in with the second point), they always seem to add some neat little facets that kind of make your imagination wander at times. It stirs my creativity and makes me wanna add **** on to it. I mean, there's plenty of better material out there (I know; I've read it), but there's just something about the foundations of each setting. It's not exactly palpable, and it's probably speaking to the writer that's kinda dead in me. Diablo is probably my favorite Blizzard universe, followed closely by WoW (I know the ins and outs of the latter's ******** lore all too well).

Also:

Goddamn Blizzard patch. =/ Why do they have to make **** so haaaaaaard.

Smooth Criminal

Kal

Smash Champion
For the time it was made, the CGI in Diablo II was actually pretty cutting-edge, I think.

We're going to discuss some Legend of Korra. I basically came in my pants when Amon said "I am the solution."

My favorite Blizzard universe was Starcraft, until they ****ed it up with the sequel. My name is Sarah Kerrigan, and my character traits include:

1) I am the Queen of Blades!
2) You cannot defeat me!

But man, Brood War was so fantastically well written. I blame Metzen for ****ing things up. He seems to just rehash the same stories and subplots over and over, made even worse by the piss-poor quality of the dialogue (which I am not sure he actually writes).

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Just beat every quest in act 3 inferno. Was tough. Act 4 not really doable yet :(.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I cant belial on inferno (with my barb) :(

I got frustrated and am updating league of legends now lolz

Edit: if anybody has a 1h weapon with that does 700+ dps and has at least 300+ life on hit, sell it to me please :O

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow, that's pretty impressive.
Yeah, wasn't solo however was with a group of 4. Was still very hard some of those sole lasher rare packs man :/. Took quite awhile. Now farming siegebreaker.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL jordan failed to mention I carried him throughout most of act 3.
Uh, no. I don't count that as beating act 3. I beat every quest today with my friends without skipping anything. Was with my monk,dh,wd group. Started from first quest all the way to AZ in one sitting.

Yeah I beat it with you, but that was just me getting carried lol I mean today I beat it all legit.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This is true, though I still feel like I personally know with my character what skills are better for what. For example for belial switching my charge to leap makes it a lot eaiser because I can just tank his 1-2-3 shot on reaction rather than dodging it and get more damage in. If I'm fighting a pack with frozen or jailer though charge is a must have. I personally like making that choice because I think it would be pretty easy if I could just have both. That's just me though, I wouldn't mind what you are saying at all because it makes sense.

Keep in mind though skills used to not make NV go on cooldown when they first presented the idea. A lot of people complained about it on the forums saying they wanted some sort of reason to stick to a build so blizzard changed it.
I still feel like NV resetting completely is counterintuitive and punishes you for using one of the game's best features. If NV went down by 1 every time you switched a skill, I'd be fine with that. That way you can't completely reskill for certain encounters but can make fine adjustments as necessary.

So can anyone tell me, if I unlock whimsyshire is it unlocked at all difficulties for all my characters?

Kal

Smash Champion
If you craft the Staff of Herding, you can enter Whimsyshire on Normal with any character, but they have to be carrying the staff.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
If you craft the Staff of Herding, you can enter Whimsyshire on Normal with any character, but they have to be carrying the staff.
Just Normal? I also have the plan for the Hellish Staff of Herding, does that let me get in on Hell or something?

What's The Point

Smash Master
Just Normal? I also have the plan for the Hellish Staff of Herding, does that let me get in on Hell or something?
You need the Staff of Herding of that difficulty to get into Whimyshire of that difficulty. It starts with Normal and then you upgrade it in chain up to Inferno. 300k, 700k, 1mil for each upgrade. You buy the plans in Act 4 for whatever difficulty you are in. You have the staff in your inventory or equipped and that opens the portal. I don't know if you need 1 per difficulty or if Inferno Staff will open them all.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't know if you need 1 per difficulty or if Inferno Staff will open them all.
Each staff will work for the difficulties below it. In order to purchase the plans, you need to be at the final quest of Act IV (except the plans for the normal staff, which drop from Izual).

However, there is a glitch where the Staff of Herding is known to disappear. This happened to me. The only solution at the moment is to leave the staff with the Enchantress, put the staff in your inventory to summon the Cow King, then return the staff to the Enchantress before talking to the Cow King.

Is the pony level worth anything?
Drops are equivalent to Act IV of whatever difficulty you are in, and there is a Feat of Strength for entering Whimsyshire. Otherwise, there isn't any value in the level outside of the novelty of killing ponies and teddy bears, and some Blizzard irony.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, so far made 30 million off pony in 8 hours of grinding. But I got really lucky on 2 drops.
Nice! I made 4 million off my first two seige breaker runs :p. So much better than belial runs lmao.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
You need the Staff of Herding of that difficulty to get into Whimyshire of that difficulty. It starts with Normal and then you upgrade it in chain up to Inferno. 300k, 700k, 1mil for each upgrade. You buy the plans in Act 4 for whatever difficulty you are in. You have the staff in your inventory or equipped and that opens the portal. I don't know if you need 1 per difficulty or if Inferno Staff will open them all.
Aha, thanks Kevin.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So how do you guys scale pricing on the drops you get? Do you just find similar items and see what they're listed at?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Dphat do you use life on kill? It's reallllyyy good for the wizard if you have even a decent amount. With venom hydra every time you summon a new one it counts as you killing 3 things, so drop 3 hydras and you will go from nothing to full health instantly lol.

Might be patched though.

Top Bottom