• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deleted

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I can't figure out what aerial to use with Peach. Nair comes out fastest (Bair second) and Fair comes out slowest, but all of her aerial hitboxes linger except for fair so I suspect fair might end fastest. Plus, Nair would require that I drop my DI to input since I have to release the stick.

What's the best pick of Peach's aerials? I'm thinking fair since it ends soonest...or would I want nair/bair for the fast startup time?

Also, if I perform an aerial, then float, think that would affect the momentum? I'm guessing not: Air dodge to float doesn't do much. But worth asking.
I personally think it's Uair for horizontal recovery (which is what I've been trying to say for quite a while now). Uair starts and ends much sooner than Fair (right?) and ends much sooner than Nair. I'm unsure of frames but I've jumped up and testing using aerials and Uair definatly has the shortest beginning to ending time

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
I can't figure out what aerial to use with Peach. Nair comes out fastest (Bair second) and Fair comes out slowest, but all of her aerial hitboxes linger except for fair so I suspect fair might end fastest. Plus, Nair would require that I drop my DI to input since I have to release the stick.
My poor man's (but usually accurate, I think) way of determining "fastest finishing aerial" is, for each aerial, double jump and mash that aerial to see how fast it loops. Whatever point in the aerial is most visible, you can see the time between, and that's how long "the whole aerial" takes. For most chars, it's pretty obvious which one's fastest. (I thought it was Uair for Peach, but it could be Nair...)

As for the Nair / DI thing, the DI is really already input by the time you're sent flying, so you aren't hurting much (or anything?) to drop it for a moment to do Nair, I don't think.

Ulevo

Smash Master

What's the best pick of Peach's aerials? I'm thinking fair since it ends soonest...or would I want nair/bair for the fast startup time?

Also, if I perform an aerial, then float, think that would affect the momentum? I'm guessing not: Air dodge to float doesn't do much. But worth asking.
Fair (if it IS the aerial that ends the fastests frame wise, I'm not sure myself) would be the best bet. For vertical trajectories, as we discovered, it doesn't matter, as long as you fast fall. So hold down and C Stick a Fair for vertical. When being sent horizontal, use the aerial that ends fastest, which as you stated would be the Fair. The reasoning for this is to Jump sooner. So using Fair all around would be easiest most likely, since it gets you into the habit of only using one aerial, so you do it all the time.

I'll update my posts later when I can to fully clarify some facts. Too busy in life.

Ulevo: Really? If all of Snake's aerials end later than his airdodge, then Sparta Kick would be right. I don't know Snake well enough to know which aerial(s) are fastest.
I'm willing to assume that every character in Brawl has at least one aerial that has less frames than an air dodge. Even Snake has the Uair, which I'm quite sure is faster. Therefor, the Air Dodge is obsolete. You can't even fast fall while using it, and even giving yourself to using it just promotes bad habits.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I thought this only worked with moves that halted all aerial movement (DK's SideB, Lucario's Dair) or moves that altered momentum to single direction (TL's Dair, Ganon Warlock Kick). Didn't know that simply using an aerial would keep you alive.

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
I thought this only worked with moves that halted all aerial movement (DK's SideB, Lucario's Dair) or moves that altered momentum to single direction (TL's Dair, Ganon Warlock Kick). Didn't know that simply using an aerial would keep you alive.
As far as I know, the move is just giving you control back ASAP, it's the jump after the aerial that's really helping you recover. Also, I think those moves that affect momentum lose those effects when you are sent flying.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/

Remember that if you´re sent flying with a turnip in hand you can toss it and it will act as an aerial, you can jump out of it (it comes out as fast as Nair, I believe).

infomon

Smash Scientist
MK's Dsmash was stale so it had low hitstun and knockback. The TL DI'd up-right I think, and used his Fair as quickly as possible to escape hitstun, and as the Fair ends his horizontal aerial influence allows him to stop whatever horizontal knockback was left from the Dsmash.

Agree?

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but most people can't react that fast. and for Toon Link, Samus, Shiek, and a few others. If you use your recovery after a few seconds of being hit. its speed decreases. not because you're moving in the opposite direction, but because Nintendo made you're move have less motion.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help, I might have to start incorporating this into my game a bit more. I do it every now and again, but I thought it was just bs. Happy to see some real research put in.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Whoa, wait, hold on.

I think we need two separate categories here.

For vertical saves, we want the aerial that comes out fastest, plain and simple. We just want to fast fall as fast as possible. For this, the current list makes sense.

For horizontal saves, though, we want the aerial that strikes the best balance between coming out fast and ENDING FAST. If we use a fast starting aerial that has a long animation, then that is useless to us because we NEED to jump after the aerial in order to save ourselves from the horizontal blast zone. So using a fast aerial that will stay out for a long time (longer than an airdodge) will just get us killed.
For this, the current list is terrible.

Luigi and Sheik's Nairs both stay out for a long time. They come out ridiculously fast, but they stay out for many frames. Way too many frames if your goal is to jump right after the aerial in order to save yourself. They're about as long as an airdodge, and it the airdodge sucks, these suck too.
By contrast, both these characters have fast Fairs which end very quickly, allowing them to jump much sooner than if they used their Nair, and starting fast enough to let them jump in time.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I've seen this video before, but I thought it wouldn't really make a difference in my gameplay. Surprisingly, doing this has helped me several times.

Zylar

Smash Ace
For pikachu it is quite obvious and easy for which aerials to use. (You are still making that list right?)

Dair for verticle hitstun.
Fair for horizontal hitstun.

Just today I've used this against my friend, I was at Smashvile, and he FSmashed me at high percentages whenever I tried to recover on to the ledge. I remembered this so I tried a Fair, it worked.
Bad ledge playing on my part caused me to have to do this multiple times in the same life. When I finally got back on the stage, I damaged my friend allitle before an USmash, which then I did a dair, and my life was spared once again.

This drastically helped me. My jumps, air-dodge to jumps, DI's alone, and skull bash (SideB) did nothing compared to this.

Here is my opinion on the ranking from greatest to least :
1. Aerial + DI
2. DI
3. Aerial
4. Jump + DI
5. Air dodge + Jump + DI
6. Jump
7. Air dodge + DI
8. Air dodge

Jenkins

Smash Lord
This is from Kizzu's video on youtube:

daskannyman (6 months ago)So it looks like attacking out of a hit is the best choice.
Kizzukun (6 months ago) lol definitely no.
It is just the fastest way to recover from hitstun, but this only means that.

Lol now im confused... so you can respond faster by using an attack... but what about surviving...

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
I now use this with Zelda and instinctively dair when flying, which helps a lot. But can nair substitute it? Or must it be a directional aerial?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I went and made a video tutorial based on the stuff I learned from this thread:
[How to Recover, after DI: momentum cancelling, etc.]

I hope that helps clear up some confusion.... any advice on the vid would be appreciated, it's my first tutorial.

This is from Kizzu's video on youtube:

daskannyman (6 months ago)So it looks like attacking out of a hit is the best choice.
Kizzukun (6 months ago) lol definitely no.
It is just the fastest way to recover from hitstun, but this only means that.

Lol now im confused... so you can respond faster by using an attack... but what about surviving...
You can use an aerial to shorten hitstun (at high %'s / from high knockback moves). The aerial itself can be fastfalled (any frame on or after the aerial starts), which helps avoid the stage ceiling. Additionally, aborting hitstun early lets you use your aerial influence to push against knockback.. and it also lets you use a Jump or Special to help avoid the side killzones; but beware, if you do this Brawl gives you an extra boost away from the stage lol, so it may or may not be worth it (watch my vid for details, lol).

I now use this with Zelda and instinctively dair when flying, which helps a lot. But can nair substitute it? Or must it be a directional aerial?
Use whichever aerial finishes fastest. You can fastfall the aerial, unless it's something very momentum-changing like Sonic's Dair <--- but I could be wrong about that. So your only care is that the aerial end as early as possible so that you can fight knockback through other means.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
Scary thing is, I already do it. Probably because I thought doing something was better than nothing rather than it being a tactic.

After reading this I have one question. With Toon Link, I'm not sure which aerial move to use. I dair if I get smashed upwards but I don't want to do that to the sides (for obvious reasons).

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I had to lol at the Fox and MK portion. He bent down and was ready to receive it in the ***.

I also try to whip out the fastest aerial to help me recover. I've been doing it for awhile now. Thanks for the tips OP.

Qckpy01

Smash Apprentice
Very helpful indeed. I didn't know you could fastfall your aerials while in knockback momentum.

infomon

Smash Scientist
After reading this I have one question. With Toon Link, I'm not sure which aerial move to use. I dair if I get smashed upwards but I don't want to do that to the sides (for obvious reasons).
Use the aerial that ends the soonest. I'm not sure which that is for TLink, maybe his Bair? As soon as it's done, you may need to jump towards the stage to help fight the knockback.

Laem

Smash Champion
GW's nair is his fastest, though i dont have the exact numbers. and just to get things straight, while playing,say, Lucario, when u get hit by an attack that does vertical knockback its: SDI down > DI left/right > fair(fastest) > fastfall(asap during fair).
For horizontal it would be: SDI left/right > DI perpendicular/up > fair > fastfall(asap) > jump(i dont believe Luc has special moves for this).

Correct? All i do at this moment is regular DI lol, time to start improving that. Anyway, this thread's great, a great help for sure.

PS. BUCKET CANCELLING FTW :laugh:

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
It could be mentioned that some characters specials cancel momentum better thatn aerials. For example I'm pretty sure ZSS's down - b is better than her uair (fastest aerial).

infomon

Smash Scientist
It could be mentioned that some characters specials cancel momentum better thatn aerials. For example I'm pretty sure ZSS's down - b is better than her uair (fastest aerial).
Nope, you can't use specials during hitstun. You use an aerial (or airdodge, or itemthrow-cancelled airdodge for best results lol) so that you can then use a jump or special afterwards.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Infzy: Is fast-falling after being hit horizontally useless? Also, I heard that if hit vertically, it is better to use dair and ff rather than uair and ff. Is this true?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Infzy: Is fast-falling after being hit horizontally useless?
If you're not at all worried about the ceiling, then fasfalling will not help you. You can fastfall or not depending on how you want to return to the stage. However, some characters will want to use their Jump to help counteract their knockback momentum, and this Jump will go super-high because there's a boost if you use it in knockback. So you might need to have fastfalled the aerial so that you don't kill yourself off the top when you use your jump to avoid the side killzone. Does that make sense? Soooo... it's not necessarily useless, it depends on the character and what you're trying to do.

Also, I heard that if hit vertically, it is better to use dair and ff rather than uair and ff. Is this true?
No, they're both just as valid, they can all be fastfalled on frame 1. Although, you'll probably want to input it differently. For Uair/Fair/Bair, you can hold down on the control-stick while you c-stick the aerial, and this will guarantee a fastfall on frame 1. With Dair, you absolutely have to not be holding down on the control stick if you c-stick the Dair; the c-sticking should automatically fastfall it, but I've found it's kinda finnicky about this. So with Dair you should prolly c-stick down (with control stick in neutral), then tap down on the control stick (with c-stick in neutral) just to be absolutely sure you get the fastfall in at some point, even if it's a few frames late. Or maybe I'm just paranoid and crazy :)

Nair is actually the worst because you have to hit Attack, then hit Down; probably with at least a frame of space in between, I'm not sure.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
Nope, you can't use specials during hitstun. You use an aerial (or airdodge, or itemthrow-cancelled airdodge for best results lol) so that you can then use a jump or special afterwards.
So is the bottom of this thread wrong? (the part about suviving w/ down -b and down b being the fastest thing to use out of hitstun)

infomon

Smash Scientist
So is the bottom of this thread wrong? (the part about suviving w/ down -b and down b being the fastest thing to use out of hitstun)
The bottom of what thread? srry 'm lost lulz

So, some down-B's (like G&W's bucket-braking) do help, you just have to escape hitstun with an aerial or airdodge first.

The OP of this thread describes that aerials will usually end sooner than airdodges, so are usually better. Better because they let you Jump towards the stage, or use a momentum-changing special first. Although many momentum-changing specials will kill you by giving you extra unfriendly momentum, some do help lol.

Hope that makes sense....

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, that's just a very confusing article, and wrong in some places. Note the date; it's from May, it predates much of the (quite recent) understanding of momentum-cancelling, etc.

I just read it and was like "whoah, she can use her down-B during hitstun???" so I tested it out, and no, she can't; it's just like other specials, it can only be used when hitstun is over. But it's quite possible that there are particular KO scenarios (a combination of knockback and your trajectory to the killzone) where you don't have time to complete an aerial before using your down-B, but the knockback's not strong enough that it will kill you if you use down-B just before knockback ends (hitstun seems to end a little earlier than knockback!). I've speculated of these situations but have never been able to reproduce them. ZSS's down-B might be fast enough to make them possible, but I'm still skeptical.

For longer-distance KOs, she'll want to use her fastest aerial (or possibly an airdodge... or an itemthrow-cancelled airdodge if you have an item!), and then use down-B or whatever.

Hope this helps.... hmmm there's still more we need to learn about all this knockback shinnanigans.

Edit: Oh and look at the last page of that thread:
I think now that the best way to survive horizontally is actually an up air and then a down B, but I'm not good with testing these sort of things. If someone would like to do that it would be much appreciated.

Snakeee

Smash Master
No, that's just a very confusing article, and wrong in some places. Note the date; it's from May, it predates much of the (quite recent) understanding of momentum-cancelling, etc.

I just read it and was like "whoah, she can use her down-B during hitstun???" so I tested it out, and no, she can't; it's just like other specials, it can only be used when hitstun is over. But it's quite possible that there are particular KO scenarios (a combination of knockback and your trajectory to the killzone) where you don't have time to complete an aerial before using your down-B, but the knockback's not strong enough that it will kill you if you use down-B just before knockback ends (hitstun seems to end a little earlier than knockback!). I've speculated of these situations but have never been able to reproduce them. ZSS's down-B might be fast enough to make them possible, but I'm still skeptical.

For longer-distance KOs, she'll want to use her fastest aerial (or possibly an airdodge... or an itemthrow-cancelled airdodge if you have an item!), and then use down-B or whatever.

Hope this helps.... hmmm there's still more we need to learn about all this knockback shinnanigans.

Edit: Oh and look at the last page of that thread:
That is an old thread and actually, I'm still confused about it myself. I've survived at points I really thought I should have died at while doing down up air to down B. Doing the up air first, and then the down B seems to work similar to G&W's. If it doesn't it might be the fact that down B has a forwards momentum to begin with. On the other hand I seem to survive at pretty high percents by just up airing too. It'd be great if someone would test it thoroughly, because down B is very useful while getting back onto the stage and is best saved for last if possible.

It does get her out of chain grabs and combos really easily though. I had mentioned in that thread that Kirby cannot follow up on her after any throw at ZERO.

infomon

Smash Scientist
That is an old thread and actually, I'm still confused about it myself. I've survived at points I really thought I should have died at while doing down up air to down B. Doing the up air first, and then the down B seems to work similar to G&W's. If it doesn't it might be the fact that down B has a forwards momentum to begin with. On the other hand I seem to survive at pretty high percents by just up airing too. It'd be great if someone would test it thoroughly, because down B is very useful while getting back onto the stage and is best saved for last if possible.
I'd feel kinda silly testing though ZSS fully at this point, because I don't really understand her as a character (lolz), but I guess I could test things out. For long-range trajectories I'm sure she'll be best off using her fastest aerial (or an airdodge; I need frame data and more research on Brawl's knockback/hitstun formulae before we know where the tradeoff of each occurs), then using either her midair jump or her down-B towards the stage. I'm assuming that her other Specials don't have any momentum-changing properites; is that right? Does the angle of her down-B change if you do the kick out of it, or is there anything weird like that that might matter?

Of course if you have an item in your hand, you'll definitely want to airdodge at the earliest moment, then item-throw-cancel the airdodge; this gets you out of hitstun super-fast, lol. [A thread on that nitpicky matter] Also, there are three other tricky things I'm not sure about:
  • I don't know if B-reversing / turnaround-B / "wavebouncing" stuff has any effect during knockback, but I don't think so
  • As I mentioned before, it's possible that for some shorter-range trajectories (where you'll naturally escape hitstun before knockback really finishes, and this would happen before your fastest aerial would end), it may actually be better to skip the hitstun-escape and just down-B (or jump?) when hitstun ends. I'm not sure these situations can exist, though.
  • It's possible there are situations in which you'd want to DI lower than usual just so you can use whichever of your jump or down-B you'd prefer to use to escape momentum, without them killing you off the top

So afaik those are all the things that could require testing, and none of them are really particular to ZSS.

It does get her out of chain grabs and combos really easily though. I had mentioned in that thread that Kirby cannot follow up on her after any throw at ZERO.
This surprises me. Her down-B shouldn't be aborting hitstun earlier than any of her other options; airdodge should happen earliest (which also allows an item-throw or Zair; ZSS does have a Zair, right?), then after that her aerials would be allowed, then after that she can use a Jump or Special (including down-B). HOWEVER! Brawl makes a distinction between "weak hits" and "strong hits", as far as hitstun is concerned; so at 0%, say, low-knockback hits will put you in "weak hitstun" which afaik is actually "true hitstun", where airdodge/aerials/etc. don't have any time-advantage before you can jump or down-B. So for these weak hits, since down-B is such a fast jump-away move, it's possible this is the advantage you're noticing; her other options may all leave her trapped. It would be good to know the # frames of her airdodge before she goes invincible, compared with the distance achieved within the first few frames of her down-B.

Is using G&W's bucket (un-fully-charged) better than using his aerials for recovery? cause it seems to cancel alot of momentum... also actually getting it out is more diffucult it seems...
G&W's bucket is totally crazy because it stops all his momentum, including knockback. However, he needs to escape hitstun (usually with an aerial) before he can use the bucket.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Me and Ninja Link tested it out on a custom stage, and ZSS will get the bounce yet still cancel momentum. So it lets her live longer if she is being sent horizontally, but if it's vertical she actually dies earlier.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'd feel kinda silly testing though ZSS fully at this point, because I don't really understand her as a character (lolz), but I guess I could test things out. For long-range trajectories I'm sure she'll be best off using her fastest aerial (or an airdodge; I need frame data and more research on Brawl's knockback/hitstun formulae before we know where the tradeoff of each occurs), then using either her midair jump or her down-B towards the stage. I'm assuming that her other Specials don't have any momentum-changing properites; is that right? Does the angle of her down-B change if you do the kick out of it, or is there anything weird like that that might matter?

Of course if you have an item in your hand, you'll definitely want to airdodge at the earliest moment, then item-throw-cancel the airdodge; this gets you out of hitstun super-fast, lol. [A thread on that nitpicky matter] Also, there are three other tricky things I'm not sure about:
  • I don't know if B-reversing / turnaround-B / "wavebouncing" stuff has any effect during knockback, but I don't think so
  • As I mentioned before, it's possible that for some shorter-range trajectories (where you'll naturally escape hitstun before knockback really finishes, and this would happen before your fastest aerial would end), it may actually be better to skip the hitstun-escape and just down-B (or jump?) when hitstun ends. I'm not sure these situations can exist, though.
  • It's possible there are situations in which you'd want to DI lower than usual just so you can use whichever of your jump or down-B you'd prefer to use to escape momentum, without them killing you off the top

So afaik those are all the things that could require testing, and none of them are really particular to ZSS.

This surprises me. Her down-B shouldn't be aborting hitstun earlier than any of her other options; airdodge should happen earliest (which also allows an item-throw or Zair; ZSS does have a Zair, right?), then after that her aerials would be allowed, then after that she can use a Jump or Special (including down-B). HOWEVER! Brawl makes a distinction between "weak hits" and "strong hits", as far as hitstun is concerned; so at 0%, say, low-knockback hits will put you in "weak hitstun" which afaik is actually "true hitstun", where airdodge/aerials/etc. don't have any time-advantage before you can jump or down-B. So for these weak hits, since down-B is such a fast jump-away move, it's possible this is the advantage you're noticing; her other options may all leave her trapped. It would be good to know the # frames of her airdodge before she goes invincible, compared with the distance achieved within the first few frames of her down-B.

G&W's bucket is totally crazy because it stops all his momentum, including knockback. However, he needs to escape hitstun (usually with an aerial) before he can use the bucket.
Zamus does not have a zair.

The down-B escapes the Kirby CG, because with proper DI you can escape the Kirby CG anyways.... the down-B affects your location, therefore no DI is needed to use it to escape.

It seems uair>down-B works best for Zamus, but its better recovery wise, to save the down-B so you're harder to gimp.

I'll finish my testing tomorrow after school (3:30pm PMT I'll be home) and I'll start to theory craft and test stuff.

I'll test B-reversing, wavebouncing, and all that good jazz tomorrow.

I can also try and get the frame data for the airdodge invincibility frames and compare it to the down-B framerate movement (how far it travels in that same amount of frames) to see if thats why it escape certain things better then an airdodge.

It's 11:11pm, and I need to get up in 7 hours to get ready for school.

Question concerning Fox:

Because his down-B stops his momentum completely, so much so as to induce a small rise from it, would it be 'smarter' to DI slightly more down then usual, use your quickest aerial (is that uair/bair or nair? I think uair...I need to see some frame data) then use down-B, then continue to recover from there (eg; jump from the shine then side-b or up-b)

Top Bottom