• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Scene Without Metaknight- Theorizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
So, there's been a lot of momentum towards the movement to ban Metaknight lately. REGARDLESS OF OPINION ON THE ISSUE, I wanted to theorize and postulate what I think the Brawl tourney scene will look like once Metaknight is removed. It's possible he may never be banned and this will never be proven or disproven, so let's not make this into a "should/shouldn't MK be banned" thread.

At the bottom of this thread, I will cover my personal opinion (and who I am, for those that don't know). That part will be clearly marked, so that you can completely skip it if you will, as it is irrelevant.

The removal of Metaknight from the competitive roster leaves a big gaping hole at the top of the tier list. Generally, Snake is the commonly accepted #2 character on most lists, but it is not necessarily safe to assume that the list will simply bump up and Snake will take his place. This is not the nature of a competitive game, in which matchups form a sort of tangled web.

In fact, I personally theorize that the two characters that will benefit most from Metaknight's removal are Game & Watch and Marth, followed up by ROB, then DK, and perhaps Toon Link and Snake.

Consider the following. Currently, as far as I am aware, once Metaknight is removed, these character's matchups will look something like this:
( (?) is places where the character might be considered slight advantage instead of full counter, or I'm not sure).

Snake is countered by:
DDD, Donkey Kong, Wario, Falco

Snake goes even with:
Pikachu, Diddy, Peach, ZSS, Samus, Pit, Toon Link, ROB, maybe more I can't think of right now

Game & Watch is countered by:
Toon Link, Marth, Snake (?)

Game & Watch goes even with:
Olimar, DK, Diddy (?)

Marth is counted by:
ROB, Snake (?)

Marth goes even with:
Like half the cast

Game & Watch
Of these three, Game & Watch seems to be the best choice. Snake counters a lot of characters, but in turn is countered by a lot of characters. Meanwhile, Game & Watch has only 2-3 counters and 3-4 neutral matchups, having the advantage on about 70% of the cast- and much like Metaknight, he has no bad stages.

This would make Game & Watch the new Metaknight, but not as bad, because you CAN counterpick him.

Marth
Out of all of these characters, Marth has, at a high level the least amount of bad matchups, but the largest amount of neutral matchups. The removal of MK, Marth's worse matchup, does wonders for him, making him the character in the game with the least amount of disadvantaged matchups. Of course, he has a ton of neutral matchups, but he's the "safest" choice, and possibly the only character in the game with which you will not need to develop a secondary character to cover your bad matchups (however, you not have advantages nearly as often as MK, and can be stage-counterpicked and gimped).

In the sense of being the only character in the game for which you do not need to worry about truly bad matchups, Marth is, in a way, also the new Metaknight. But once again, not as bad, because he's got tons of neutral matchups and several bad stages.

Snake

Finally, Snake. Marth has been held back because of Metaknight being a tough matchup, but Snake has, so far, been the closest thing to an even matchup that Metaknight has in the cast. The removal of Metaknight doesn't help him nearly as much as it helps everyone else, and this, IMO, means Snake is no longer the 2nd best character.

However, the fact that Snake may counter (or at least has an advantage on) Game & Watch, and has an advantage on Marth, means that he still is a very viable pick in tournament, and we will see a lot of Snakes post-MK.

Greater Diversity

As Game & Watch, Snake, and Marth become the big three, it gives rise to a whole new host of characters. Falco remains important as before (slight disadvantage to G&W, advantage over Snake, neutral with Marth), as does Dedede as a Snake counter with decent matchups against the other two.

Donkey Kong arises, having a neutral matchup against Game & Watch and Marth and acting as a solid Snake counter (see what I did there?). With that comes increased Dedede importance, as Dedede counters Donkey Kong.

Toon Link may increase in popularity. He runs even or may have a slight advantage against Snake and Marth (I hear conflicting reports on this, but I know Chip has no problems against Snakes), and ***** G&W for breakfast. However, Toon Link already did all of these things AND had a not-horrible Metaknight matchup (at least judging from Chip's WA tourney rankings), and he's not doing so well in tournies right now, so perhaps this theory will not hold true. But it would seem to me that increased G&W popularity would result in increased Toon Link popularity (as G&W's worst matchup), and since he does well against the other two big characters, many might just stick with him.

ROB seems almost certain to rise in importance. As one of Marth's only true bad matchups in a post-MK world, anyone who has trouble with the Marth matchup will be looking in to him. The fact that he breaks even with Snake doesn't hurt his case. ROB's only problem: his absolute worst matchups, which are horribly skewed to the point where he hardly has a chance, are Metaknight and G&W. The removal of Metaknight will be a gigantic blessing to ROB- but the increasing popularity of G&W will be a pain. Still- even if the G&W population doubled overnight, the removal of MK will have helped ROB more than hurt him, and more Marth's means more easy matchups for ROB mains.

What of the mid tiers? There's a number of characters that have been made tournament unviable almost just because of Metaknight. A lot of the mid tier characters become competitively viable, and in fact, without Metaknight, even Sheik becomes usable (as Sheik excels at combos and edgeguarding, and MK's ridiculous speed and ungimpability just destroy her). Olimar grows in popularity as he is able to engage Game & Watch and Snake.

Peach is in trouble due to the abundance of Game & Watch and Falcos, but the increase in Donkey Kongs, Dededes, Olimars, Diddys, and the middle tier (almost all of whom she completely dominates), and complete elimination of her generally-accepted second-or-third-worst matchup (MK) should help her overall.

And that trend continues down through the entire middle tier. Almost all of the mid tier characters become more viable with MK's elimination, because they have much more decent matchups on the high tier characters. The elimination of MK especially helps Fox, his worst matchup by far. Some characters, like Mario, will struggle heavily through the increase in Game & Watches, but if they pick up a good G&W counterpick, they should be able to do well.

The low tier will remain about the same, or possibly worse. Yoshi, who's crown jewel is being able to fight Metaknight through his chaingrab, loses one of his most important assets- an edge on the most commonly played character in the game- while one of Yoshi's peers, Samus, will likely do better with how common Snakes will become. I think Ganondorf does better against MK than he does against G&W and Snake, which hurts him too- I think Link will rise above Ganondorf for this. But none of the low tier characters will rise above low tier.

Summary

This is obviously all in theory. But I strongly feel that the removal of Metaknight will result in a lot more variety, as a lot more characters will suddenly become competitively viable as characters they counter become more prevelant. And the focus will move from trying to find ways to counter Metaknight (which seem to be fruitless) to finding ways to counter G&W- and unlike MK, which seems to get better as the metagame matures, I believe we will find more and better ways to counter G&W's Bair and other significant advantages.

--------------
About Me

I'm Praxis. I entered the competitive community in January, so I realize I am technically a "Brawl noob". In fear of being perceived such, I have actually rather actively avoided posting on Smashboards. If I can't contribute meaningfully, why scrub up the place, right? Rather, I mainly participated on AllIsBrawl, making my share of noob mistakes there. Since the majority of the WA community uses AiB's superior tourney organization system for almost everything, I wasn't missing out on any big events. I've been extremely active on AiB, so many may know me from there.

Since I've entered the competitive scene, I've made it a strong point to be a student of the game, trying to learn as much as possible. About 4-5 months ago I began posting in the Peach character chat here on smashboards, which has made up the majority of my post count here. But I've lurked in the rest of the boards and have tried my best to learn as much as possible, especially competitive theory, and about previous Smash games (Melee especially). I've studied Sirlin's writings pretty extensively on competitive gaming as well.

Unlike many Sirlin fans, I don't take it as gospel, but as a very well written and interesting perspective. Frankly, I disagree in the full adoption of that mentality. It's great if your intention is to make money, but that was never my intention- I play this game for the enjoyment factor. I don't try to force others to follow made-up honor rules as is typical of a scrub- but from a Sirlin-esque competitive gamer perspective, I am indeed a scrub, because I refuse to pick up Metaknight (by doing so, REDUCING my odds of winning) simply because I have more "fun" playing Peach.

My Opinion on the Metaknight Ban Question

I've read all of the arguments, both ways. I think my favorite writeup has been by Overswarm, the top post on this page:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=197057&page=335

I originally thought you could beat MK. I studied the matchup and character more than most, playing almost exclusively against Kel and Scarecrow, two Midwest MK players. At one point I played against Scarecrow, my lil bro, every day for at least 2 hours ROB vs. MK. It didn't help when I played DSF's MK vs. my ROB... I got wrecked. Unfortuantely, I couldn't jsut say "wow, DSF is so much better than me" because I did just as well against his Snake with ROB as he did against my ROB with his MK! To add icing to the cake, I did very well in MK dittos even though I didn't really play that character at the time. Was definitely a WTF? moment for me.

Then for a short while I thought it'd be like Sheik or Fox... but we're smarter than we were at the beginning of Melee. MK isn't dominating due to chain grabs, and our DI doesn't suck. He's not like Fox either.... Fox got destroyed as much as he destroyed others. Plus, Fox wasn't alone in his awesomeness. Marth, Falco, Sheik were all up there with him. And Fox's recovery was easily attacked.

Then my first MK tournament, I got 2nd in the custom stage tournament using SBR stages and got 5th in the actual tournament singles and 1rst in doubles.

I beat Anther, one of the MW's best, in the custom stage tournament, and lost to Joel, a G&W.

I lost to Anther on the last game of our set, 130% for both of us when I was hit. Joel beat me again as well, but I did better vs. him than I had ever done before.

I had picked up MK two weeks before then.

As time has gone on, all of the best players have either starting maining MK, picking up MK as a secondary, or leaving. Even Azen uses MK at the end of tournaments consistently now. Smash just isn't fun with MK being in the mix... I have no reason to play any other character, ever, or even learn more than 3 or 4 matchups. MK's playstyle is incredibly simple and easy to pick up, and you HAVE to play him to win on a national level.

Sure, I could main ROB and do well in the midwest... but if I ever wanted to travel I'd be screwed simply because I wasn't playing MK.

There has been a lot of talk of "counters".

DKs, like Bum, have been beaten. Inui's fresh and untested MK beat him.

Diddys, like Ninjalink, have been beaten. Inui again.

Snakes have been beaten and DSF, the best one, has picked up MK.

Lucario? Azen's the only one and he even switches to MK when push comes to shove.

G&W? This matchup has been increasingly falling in MKs favor as more info is discovered.

ROB is hard countered by MK. I invented the character, built him from the ground up, and switched to MK.

Yoshi? No. It's not even an option.

There's nothing you can do to make MK a bad choice.... so why try?

Essentially, with the current state of the high end competitive scene, Metaknight has no bad matchups, no neutral matchups, and no poor stages. He has a nearly neutral matchup in Snake, but no matter what situation he is in, he always has the advantage. Picking any character but Metaknight puts you at a disadvantage and reduces your chance of winning, and learning any other character, if you intend to win, is not worth the effort.

I'm fine with dealing with the occasional Metaknight, but as more and more people around me switch to Metaknight, the game becomes less fun. I'm put in a situation where I'm always at a disadvantage, and the only way to have a reasonable shot at placing well is to join them and play a character I don't enjoy, OR be regarded as that Peach player that doesn't place as time passes and more MK's arise. Sure, I could secondary Metaknight, but pretty soon I'd realize that it's ALWAYS better to pick him. If I go against a ROB, in which I have a 60:40 advantage as Peach- why should I pick Peach when my MK has a 70:30 advantage? The only situation I'd ever use Peach would be Olimar.

So, let's remove personal bias. Completely ignoring the fact that I can't beat the two best MK's in the state. There are two choices: stick with Peach and have "fun", but not that much fun because the majority of my opponents will be the same matchup over and over; or switch to MK, have less fun, but place higher (potentially making money).

From a Sirlin-purist perspective, this is fine. If everyone plays MK, then everyone is even, everyone is maximizing their chances of victory, and the more skilled player wins.

I would not enjoy playing this game in such a manner. And regardless of the fact that "fun" is not a usable measurement, it is an important factor, and the reason many of us play this game. Diversity means nothing in a Sirlin-purist perspective, but greater diversity means a better, more enjoyable game, and one I would continue to play even if I were to never win.

I did not care about Metaknight (despite having trouble with the matchup) until the day I played four Metaknight's in a row at a tournament. The little jerk sucks the fun out of this game I love.

ANYWAY- I feel I've reached the point that I can contribute to Smashboards intelligently, and hope to be around for some time. Feel free to rip this entire post apart if you disagree with anything- that's what discussions are for ^_^

Hello all! Thanks for reading.

(P.S. who do I have to kill to get to moderate the Peach boards? I check it about a half dozen times a day on weekdays, and we could really use more active moderation with how out of date the stickies tend to get and two certain members that are always fighting with each other.)

-------------------

tl;dr version: I recommend reading everything that's not in between the ---- brackets ----, but if you really don't want to read...

I predict G&W, Marth, and Snake as the big three most viable characters, and a lot more other viable characters as counters to them- and a ton of mid-tier characters rising up as viable due to their ability to counter Snake, go even with Marth, and counter some of Snake's counters.

I'd love to hear what other people predict as well. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Smady

Smash Master
Good thread. I agree that the Brawl meta-game would benefit from MK's removal, as he undermines the counterpick system [he has no counters], neccesitating MK dittos over time. He has had ample time to settle into the roster and find some wrecks, but they haven't materialised and his game is only going to develop further, to the point that he sucks up every single player who wants the cash. Comparing him to others in top tier, you immediately see how the tournament scene will change for the better, as characters previously destroyed by MK come into play against his apparent 'peers' in top tier, who are then countered by their own peers. And it goes from there. I'm in full support of banning Meta Knight.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
I can't see anything I disagree with. I think you are largely correct in your ideas. With the removal of MK, the order of generally accepted tiers will have to undergo a renovation. MK blanketed many characters, being the best character, and severely crippled those who were especially weak against him. Such characters will gain more ground after the banning of MK. With his removal should come prosperous times in regards to the metagame.

MK has stunted the game so far. His existence nearly rules out low-mid tier characters for high-end play. Some are hesitant to take such a drastic measure, but I've yet to see a reason for MK remaining in tournaments, while the list against him continues to grow.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
R.O.B. is a soft-decent counter to Snake.

Also, I think Peach would do better seeing more R.O.B.s, since they can be wreaked by Peach if they make just a few mistakes.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Well thought out, intelligent, and decently researched.

This is the type of content that should be posted in the SBR / thread.(should metaknight be banned?)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pretty solid analysis. i also think that gw will be #1 with mk out of the picture.

however, you didn't mention ice climbers, who's worst matchup is probably mk. with mk out of the picture, ics look a little more viable. gw is still tough though, since he has so many safe moves.

edit oh shiz this was post 1000

yay me i guess

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Ah okay Praxis.

I honestly think Game and Watch will become top tier once Meta Knight is gone, though. Marth needs a lot of work to get really good whereas the nuts and bolts of Game and Watch is pretty simple.

And Game and Watch is miles preferable to Meta Knight for me. Game and Watch has holes in his game which can be exploited plus he isn't the most fantastic character off-stage. Meta Knight just ***** everywhere.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Well, personally, I'd actually rather fight a Metaknight- G&W is Peach's absolute worst matchup.

The difference is that if, in a few month's time, if I am still unable to cope with that matchup, I can just pick up Toon Link, Marth, or DK and be alright once I get the hang of them. :)

And yeah, I think G&W will become the most popular character. Marth will be more popular, and he'll be the safe pick, but G&W counters way more characters than Marth and is way easier to learn, so people leaving MK will flock to him, if they don't have other characters they prefer in mind already.

Which will make my Peach cry.

EDIT:
Also, I think Peach would do better seeing more R.O.B.s,
Indeed, and I'm rather hopeful for this. ROB and Snake are my favorite matchups (though Peach as a character only has an advantage on ROB, I just really love fighting Snakes and do well against them).

I have a hard time with Marth, but at a really high level with the proper matchup knowledge Peach actually has the advantage according to Edrees.

With the advantage on almost all of the Snake counters, an even matchup with Snake himself, and theoretically a potentially fair matchup on Marth, G&W would be my only problem. IF I get the Marth matchup down, haha.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
id rather play against a gaw then mk anyday. hes not as bad at all
Edit: Read that wrong. I'm an idiot :/

On-topic: I pretty much agree with the first post. My Marth has no trouble with any characters besides MK. And because there are so many, I end up doing poorly in tournaments.

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
If Mk gets banned, I could see Link moving up on the list. His matchups with Toon Link and Marth might not be so hot, but not only does he have one of his worst (and most common) matchups removed, but he splits with Snake and has a slight advantage over Donkey Kong and DeDeDe. Not sure about his GaW matchup though.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
But...but his recovery...

If more R.O.B.s end up in tournies because of this, Link's in for a terrible time.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Link might move up, but he won't move OUT of low tier I believe.
I play against Deva pretty often, and honestly, I think he's the best player I know. But his character is so limited...he actually is really good at eliminating Metas and Snake (he beat DSF once as each in two sets, though MK got Norfair-***** xD), but he simply can't win large tournaments (as in, be on the top 3) because Link has too many matchups that are simply too slanted for him to win.

Just IMO.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Well, personally, I'd actually rather fight a Metaknight- G&W is Peach's absolute worst matchup.

The difference is that if, in a few month's time, if I am still unable to cope with that matchup, I can just pick up Toon Link, Marth, or DK and be alright once I get the hang of them. :)

And yeah, I think G&W will become the most popular character. Marth will be more popular, and he'll be the safe pick, but G&W counters way more characters than Marth and is way easier to learn, so people leaving MK will flock to him, if they don't have other characters they prefer in mind already.

Which will make my Peach cry.

EDIT:

Indeed, and I'm rather hopeful for this. ROB and Snake are my favorite matchups (though Peach as a character only has an advantage on ROB, I just really love fighting Snakes and do well against them).

I have a hard time with Marth, but at a really high level with the proper matchup knowledge Peach actually has the advantage according to Edrees.

With the advantage on almost all of the Snake counters, an even matchup with Snake himself, and theoretically a potentially fair matchup on Marth, G&W would be my only problem. IF I get the Marth matchup down, haha.
Foolishness, I've picked up peach for two days and I've been told my peach is sick :D

Peach for god/peach tier.

:p lol, as for the topic? I can't really say I disagree. I used to be in the "No johns noob, if you can't beat a MK you're terrible" crowd, but as time has gone on and we've all played the game more and more, I absolutely agree that metaknight is hurting brawl more than he will ever help it.

I took a "wait and see" approach, but I agree with you praxis (and many others) about where this game is going with metaknight...and where it could be going without him.

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Link might move up, but he won't move OUT of low tier I believe.
I play against Deva pretty often, and honestly, I think he's the best player I know. But his character is so limited...he actually is really good at eliminating Metas and Snake (he beat DSF once as each in two sets, though MK got Norfair-***** xD), but he simply can't win large tournaments (as in, be on the top 3) because Link has too many matchups that are simply too slanted for him to win.

Just IMO.
Very true, as a character, he is very limited. Slow, dependent on projectiles, and easy to edgeguard with that terrible recovery of his.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth beats Falco.

Marth and ROB go even.

That's all I wanted to say.

Percon

Smash Lord
IMO, with MK out of the picture, DDD will rise to top three. Many people can debate that he's there already. Removing one of his worst matchups really would help his cause, as would his good matchup vs snake. DDD has few bad matchups and those that are aren't too bad...

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
More DDD + More ROB + More Falco + More GW = still sadsack Link.
DDD actually isn't that horrible of a match-up for Link. He's a big target, which makes him great for Z-airing, which can really help you repelling that grab, and if you are pulling enough bombs out, then you can escape from the chaingrab with the explosion. Link's jab cancel works great on DDD because he's so big, you can also D-air him pretty easily due to his size when the opportunity arises.
Falco is a pretty terrible match-up, I will admit. His laser beats out all of your projectiles, which you basically rely on, and he has a pretty fast spike that'll really **** the spin attack up. You also have a smaller opportunity to pull out a bomb before you get CG'ed. He's a pretty small target so he's harder to space then the rest namely with the Z-air. As an added bonus, he reflects any projectiles that you get off.
ROB is a pretty bad match-up in my experience. It's not too hard to space him luckily, but he does have two dangerous projectiles, and unmatched edgeguarding. Bombs are required, so if you survive long enough off the stage you can get a second spin attack with the bomb explosion. The problem is that you probably won't survive that long against ROB :|
I don't know much about the matchup against GaW. It seems like he'd be hard to space, but he doesn't really have anything against your projectiles, he could probably get you off the stage and finish you off pretty easily.
Now, Meta Knight is the god of bad match-ups, he can kill you extremely easily off the stage. You need to be holding a bomb the whole time to save yourself from whorenado, and you will still probably get gimped. He is VERY hard to space because he is so small as well.
60:40 and 3 30:70s as opposed to 30:70s all around. I think Meta Knight being banned would make a positive difference for Link, but it really wouldn't be enough to make him into a decent character.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Marth absolutely will not rise as a dominating figure in brawl as a result of MK being banned. To be honest, very few Marth mains are even decent. He has one of the most difficult learning curves in the game, 2nd hardest character to master IMO (after Yoshi). Also, the 2nd and 3rd most common tourney characters after MK (Snake and D3 who will be 1st and 2nd with MK being banned) are still soft counters to Marth. Also, DK who you claim should rise in popularity has an advantage (although slight) over Marth. And he breaks even with just about every top/high character excluding GW, Falco, and Diddy.

And again, the matchups we set on the Marth boards assume that the Marth is at the highest level of play, which is only theoretical, there are only two right now who are even close to mastering Marth (Neo and Roy R).

The theory of Marth rising up just doesn't make any sense.

As Emblem Lord put it:

Marth won't be played all that much if MK gets banned. He doesn't have any gimmicks and has a steep learning curve.
Its hard not to agree, all the other top and high tier characters have simple strategies and gimmicky strategies such as CGs and spammable kill moves that allow for most players to be able to pick them up and play well with them in a tourney setting.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bengals is silly.

Still caught up in that theory of how you think Marth is at the highest level eh?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'd be in good company then, since my characters I play as are Samus, Pit, and Donkey Kong. Nice stuff, Praxis.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Bengals is silly.

Still caught up in that theory of how you think Marth is at the highest level eh?
I get what you were saying earlier, but that still doesn't mean that he is easy to use, or that many people can stand by those matchups we have posted. And of course Marth is only at the highest level when his spacing is near perfect and he is able to very quickly react to his opponents moves. Surely I'm not wrong?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Lol, my secondaries would make me look like a total tier ***** (well, aside from the subpar main). Even though I've had my main and second (now third) since I was like ten years old lol. And I picked up GW in melee because I thought the sausage was mother****ing hilarious.

1 Luigi
2 G+W
3 DK
(in case you were wondering what I was yammering on about)

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I think you misunderstand Sirlin. He acknowledges there are some characters in some games that need to get banned to avoid making the whole game just that character. Being a SF player he uses the example of Akuma in SSF2T, who is banned for reasons that generally sound very much like the arguments for banning Metaknight.

Just saying, I don't want to speak for the guy of course, but I would wager that if MK does turn out to be as broken as it's suggested he is, Sirlin would be all for banning him. I mean, if he was a Smash player.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Emblem Lord-we all know that those matchups only apply at high levels of play, where Marth's spacing is perfect and the marth player has decent reaction time and trained responses.

But as far as just picking up Marth goes, newer Marth players will simply get ***** by R.O.Bs Snakes and DDDs. [/@Emblem Lord]

So I don't believe there will be any surge of new Marth players, as the less dedicated ones will simply get eliminated and move to G&W or Snake, despite them being less safe picks (since they were getting ***** with Marth anyway)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is a very well thought-out thread, Praxis. I'm sure that you realize it's validity is limited only to theorycraft, but you definitely lay out a conceivable picture of the metagame. I don't have any arguments against it.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Good stuff. A bit simple and generalized, but nothing seems wrong.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Dark Sonic: I'm aware of that and it makes me happy.

Marth will continue to be a scrub free character.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^It makes me happy to :laugh:

I should start working on my Marth again. I'm getting a bit rusty with brawl Marth (not that I was amazing to start with). Anything realy new to work on besides spacing and guessing game setups? (ledgetraps, d-tilt traps, ect.)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
^^It makes me happy to :laugh:

I should start working on my Marth again. I'm getting a bit rusty with brawl Marth (not that I was amazing to start with). Anything realy new to work on besides spacing and guessing game setups? (ledgetraps, d-tilt traps, ect.)
Lol, the Marth metagame developed pretty quickly, so unless you haven't checked in a while you're probably pretty up to date. Depending on how long its been, you may not know about:

-Grab releases on MK and some others
-DS out of shield is possibly your most reliable kill move (keep tap jump on)
-D-tilt trap still owns
-Marths juggling game is crazy (especially vs snake)

Eh, its hard to do this since I dont know what you've missed... :ohwell:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom