• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Impressions | MLG Finals

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
WFT is easily a high tier, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know a good WFT. You can literally drop her soccer ball and hit it with some other move, just like Duck Hunt's can. Very solid camping as well and with respiration which is her down-b everything is able to kill.
I pray this is a joke. I'm afraid WFT is pretty bad. She just has a bunch of gimmicks and some extremely powerful moves which can devastate if they land (which they shouldn't). Also you actually can't litterally drop her soccer ball and hit it with some other move just like Duck Hunt's can, it is not a very effective strategy.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This seems like the best thread to lay out my thoughts.

About Doc: First set vs ESAM, Nairo's Doc looked pretty bad, not gonna lie. But second set Nairo was 100% on point, and essentially did everything a Doc main would have done. I will say however that ESAM going straight into Loser's Finals after losing to ZeRo (which he has went on record to say that he is an extremely mentally draining player to fight against) also attributed to this. Due to this, I don't believe Doc has a winning MU vs Pikachu. The stats and options don't really match up for Doc to have this luxury, but he is a solid choice.

I'm sure Nairo has an awesome Mario, but Nairo likely picked Doc over Mario because Doc's reward on hit suits his playstyle more. Doc has a very inconsistent neutral game while Mario's foundation is solid, but Doc's kill power is some of the best in the game and he can rack up damage pretty easily. So he plays Doc similar to how he would play ZSS. Risky, and read based.

Doc isn't bottom 10 and never has been, but he's definitely bottom 20 and maybe bottom 15. However, Smash 4 is balanced enough that every character in this game has their use, and it's good to remember that.

P.S.: I'm glad ZeRo lost. Not for the novelty, but because he can finally relax. His win streak has honestly been a major stress factor in his life because there was so much riding on him. Being able to pull that mantle off his shoulders will finally allow him to enjoy playing the game again.

Djent

Smash Champion
MLG Dallas will still forever be the better tournament.
I disagree. Since M2K and ADHD (the only two people who had won so far) were both banned, Gnes's near-flawless performance will always be cast into doubt by "what-ifs." Contrast that with today, where it is undeniable that Nairo was the best player in the world on 10-18-2015. It's a shame it worked out that way, and MLG Dallas could have been so much more, but as it stands today's tournament is so much more significant (easily one of the most significant Smash tournaments ever).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Guess we all have our own opinions.
I found MLG Dallas more fun and hype to watch, in person or not. Even then, there was plenty of huge contenders to win and a **** ton of fun cancer like MK Olimar and Falco to win it all but Sonic's dominating everything and raising the question for a lot of things + Diddy winning it all over the hundreds of MK's and olimar's was surprising.

Back then there was only ch33s3 for IC at that tournament I think and the meta for the character wasn't developed yet.
The ban was their fault anyway, even without them the tournament was still great.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
doc is bottom tier because of what happens to him off-stage, he can do work when hes on-stage

Last edited:

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
IDK why ESAM would let Nairo sucker him into this low tier MU. Nairo obviously doesn't want to have to play the ZSS v Pikachu MU. ESAM decided to give him the MU advantage instead. I'm happy for Nairo, but I don't understand what ESAM was thinking.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
doc is bottom tier because of what happens to him off-stage, he can do work when hes on-stage
Doc's recovery is decent. People just gotta Tornado stall more to avoid edgeguards and he's solid offstage for the most part.

At a high level Doc doesn't really get gimped more than anyone else.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
IDK why ESAM would let Nairo sucker him into this low tier MU. Nairo obviously doesn't want to have to play the ZSS v Pikachu MU. ESAM decided to give him the MU advantage instead. I'm happy for Nairo, but I don't understand what ESAM was thinking.
Yeah, Doc is a really bad MU for Samus. Like 60:40 Doc, which stems from the 65:35 or 70:30 advantage Mario has over Samus.
Also Esam wasn't using some of Samus' new stuff from 1.1.0, like the buffed nair, which is extremely good vs Doc. The missed b reversal on CS was a shame. But kudos to Esam for playing pretty well despite the bad MU.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Doc's recovery is decent. People just gotta Tornado stall more to avoid edgeguards and he's solid offstage for the most part.

At a high level Doc doesn't really get gimped more than anyone else.
Exactly. Get pretty tired of people constantly dissing Doc's recovery. Watching those matches you could pretty much sense the commentators expecting Doc's demise almost every time he went off stage. Then the ONE time Doc gets gimped it's like "Yep, just another example of Doc's recovery being so awful...", just ignoring the bunches of times Nairo recovered with him just fine.

I do it myself all the time: Doc has just enough options to mix up his recovery, avoid most edgeguard attempts, and make it back from all but the most extreme angles. It's not really Doc's recovery being bad as much as everyone else's recovery being so good or stupid-amazing. Little Mac is the only character with a genuinely terrible recovery game. It's obscenely bad.

Edit - This isn't to say Doc's recovery is good either. Just way underrated. Which is kind of silly because it's only so-so.

Last edited:

Floatzel_Trainer

Smash Rookie
NNID
OZN-Fer
3DS FC
1075-0840-3464
Hurr, Esam's tier placed Dr. Mario last place tied with Zelda. Kinda love the irony on this.
I don't know why I do feel that tournaments will be with 3 stocks eventually. The pace of the game have been growing these last tournaments.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Exactly. Get pretty tired of people constantly dissing Doc's recovery. Watching those matches you could pretty much sense the commentators expecting Doc's demise almost every time he went off stage. Then the ONE time Doc gets gimped it's like "Yep, just another example of Doc's recovery being so awful...", just ignoring the bunches of times Nairo recovered with him just fine.

I do it myself all the time: Doc has just enough options to mix up his recovery, avoid most edgeguard attempts, and make it back from all but the most extreme angles. It's not really Doc's recovery being bad as much as everyone else's recovery being so good or stupid-amazing. Little Mac is the only character with a genuinely terrible recovery game. It's obscenely bad.

Edit - This isn't to say Doc's recovery is good either. Just way underrated. Which is kind of silly because it's only so-so.
Huge hitbox that kills and stage spikes, really that is what redeems the move.

Last edited:

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
Hurr, Esam's tier placed Dr. Mario last place tied with Zelda. Kinda love the irony on this.
I don't know why I do feel that tournaments will be with 3 stocks eventually. The pace of the game have been growing these last tournaments.
While I do agree with you, I feel that 2 stocks is still the way to go since Smash 4 has good end times now. I am not very fond of staying up all night to finish a tournament like I usually do with Melee. Course, this doesn't occur all the time. I really do enjoy the pace of the game now, and I can only hope it'll get more aggressive to the point that we can optimally choose a 3-stock rule.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I pray this is a joke. I'm afraid WFT is pretty bad. She just has a bunch of gimmicks and some extremely powerful moves which can devastate if they land (which they shouldn't). Also you actually can't litterally drop her soccer ball and hit it with some other move just like Duck Hunt's can, it is not a very effective strategy.
Not arguing for or against the idea of her being high tier, or whether she's bad or not but WFT isn't any more gimmicky than any other character, especially if this is in reference to her low percent kill setups. This whole mentality of "shouldn't get hit by x" needs to stop already. The list of things we shouldn't be getting hit by but somehow are all the time is growing larger and larger everyday and at the top of it is ZSS' frame 16 grab which people are still arguing is reactable.

Not really sure why you're asserting your opinion so strongly on something it's pretty clear you don't know much about. WFT actually can drop the soccer ball and hit it with a number of moves to launch it at different angles similar to DH, including jab which means she can follow behind an active hitbox similar to Brawl Samus. Whether or not it's an effective strategy isn't something we can call yet since we haven't seen it utilized much in high level play.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Only Australia knows the truth that Wii Fit trainer is secretly top tier.
Not really sure why you're asserting your opinion so strongly on something it's pretty clear you don't know much about. WFT actually can drop the soccer ball and hit it with a number of moves to launch it at different angles similar to DH, including jab which means she can follow behind an active hitbox similar to Brawl Samus. Whether or not it's an effective strategy isn't something we can call yet since we haven't seen it utilized much in high level play.
If she jabs the soccer ball it doesn't have a hitbox.
I tried out dropping it and hitting it with other moves but they send it at too high of an angle to be useful, might as well just header it normally.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Only Australia knows the truth that Wii Fit trainer is secretly top tier.

If she jabs the soccer ball it doesn't have a hitbox.
I tried out dropping it and hitting it with other moves but they send it at too high of an angle to be useful, might as well just header it normally.
It does actually. You can maneuver yourself when canceling header and hitting with the center of her arm rather than the tip of her jab where it's intangible causes the header to stay active. So just inch forward slightly before landing. Instant zoning tool.

There are a couple of neat uses the others have a few I actually labbed out after watching Brood a DH main. Normal header is ok, but there are usually better option depending on what you want to do.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The angle from standard/front hit of jab is what makes it useless. It's actually better hitting it with the back hit, or even waiting to use a down smash on it. Regardless, that's straying from the topic here (should go in regular Viability Ratings/Competitive Impressions).

This thread is specifically for MLG discussion.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Not arguing for or against the idea of her being high tier, or whether she's bad or not but WFT isn't any more gimmicky than any other character, especially if this is in reference to her low percent kill setups. This whole mentality of "shouldn't get hit by x" needs to stop already. The list of things we shouldn't be getting hit by but somehow are all the time is growing larger and larger everyday and at the top of it is ZSS' frame 16 grab which people are still arguing is reactable.

I didn't bother replying to him cause I didn't want to start a flame war. But yeah thanks for backing me up on it. That ball is mostly useful for mixing up the edgeguard and extending the range at which you can punish. I don't personally use her but I know someone who does effectively.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Nairo got a LOT of grabs against esam. One thing primarily different between Doc and Mario is that Nairo managed to take a few stocks with Dthrow -> Fair. That doesn't work as easily on stage when using Mario. In fact I'm not entirely certain what kinds of kill confirms Mario can get off a grab unless its uair -> upB at high percent

Top Bottom