• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Impressions | MLG Finals

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
For Glory training top tip confirmed.

Djent

Smash Champion
MLG World Finals (New Orleans) Results:
1) Nairo :4zss::4drmario: ($4,000)
2) ZeRo :4sheik::4diddy: ($2,000)
3) ESAM :4pikachu::4samus: ($1,200)
4) Ally :4mario: ($800)
5) Mr-R :4sheik: ($600)
5) Reflex :4wario: ($600)
7) Ryo :4myfriends: ($400)
7) ScAtt :4megaman: ($400)

OH. MY. ****ING. GOD. Nairo has ascended to an entirely new level of play, triumphing over the undefeated champion from losers. I am so relieved that the Smash 4 pantheon is finally expanding past a single God-tyrant. This is truly a historic moment in the history of this game.

EDIT 10/19: Lol @ "historic moment in the history." What can I say, I was hype.

Last edited:

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
Welp, the streak is over. On another note, we technically have a Doc at 1st place.

Radiant Hero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mattiroquai
What. A. Day.

Ike and Mega Man getting into Top 8, seeing "bottom 10" characters Dr. Mario and Samus in Loser's Finals, and now ZeRo finally losing his amazing streak to Nairo...

Truly a historic day for Smash 4.

SirMouse

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirMouse
Been waiting so long for this day; what an amazing last two games.

Congrats to Nairo!

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Welp, the streak is over. On another note, we technically have a Doc at 1st place.
Literally have a Doc at 1st place. He used Doc to win an important match - we can count that.

Also, I guess Team Liquid took all the money today.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

OH. MY. ****ING. GOD. Nairo has ascended to an entirely new level of play, triumphing over the undefeated champion from losers. I am so relieved that the Smash 4 pantheon is finally expanding past a single God-tyrant. This is truly a historic moment in the history of this game.
Love Mega Man getting his time to shine. Lots of character diversity. Pocket Docs and Samuses are nice to see. Nairo is so hype to watch.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Did Zero DI that last boost kick wrong or were they just so high up it killed before it finished? Seemed like he died super early.

Back on topic...I knew it had to be Nairo. Been rooting for him to do it for a while now.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I'm close to shedding tears. I told you Nairo was on ****ing fire. He played perfectly. I knew this was his tournament. Congratulations.

His MLG run is going to be legendary across all competitive games.

That's what FG training does for you.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

1) :4drmario:

...Beautiful... ;_;

And not even a momentary appearance, he 3-0'd ESAM with Doc. The main in the white overcoat finally gonna get the respect he deserves.......................? I hope so

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Did Zero DI that last boost kick wrong or were they just so high up it killed before it finished? Seemed like he died super early.
Linking hits tend to have a lot of knockback in this game, combined with rage you get really early kills from them if your opponent falls out, even when the final hit of the attack wouldn't kill.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Is there a way where I can watch these sets if I missed them? I was busy with things that I had to do.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

...Beautiful... ;_;

And not even a momentary appearance, he 3-0'd ESAM with Doc. The main in the white overcoat finally gonna get the respect he deserves.......................? I hope so
Don't count on it. The effect of a never ending circle-you-know-what on this site of Doc being bottom 5 means that the goal post will probably just be moved "Well now he's bottom 10 lol".

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Don't count on it. The effect of a never ending circle-you-know-what on this site of Doc being bottom 5 means that the goal post will probably just be moved "Well now he's bottom 10 lol".
It's a long and tough climb for Doc for sure, but "bottom 10" is better than "bottom 5". Here's to a future where he's "bottom 15" or "bottom 20"! :D

Ghostbone

Smash Master
If Wii Fit can get two top 32 placements at EVO, be pulled out multiple times in top 8 of TBH5, while having wins over good players, and still be considered a bottom tier....

People are really stuck in their opinions from the beginning of the game lol. (they only change if the character is literally buffed by patches, metagame advancements don't count apparently)

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I wonder if ZeRo will be more experimental now that he doesn't have the pressure to win *everything*. Like, Nairo has used a bunch of chars in his climb to victory, but ZeRo not do much. Or maybe he'll main Diddy again and put Sheik as a secondary, what with the way the Sheiks changes turned out.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
WFT is easily a high tier, anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know a good WFT. You can literally drop her soccer ball and hit it with some other move, just like Duck Hunt's can. Very solid camping as well and with respiration which is her down-b everything is able to kill.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This is why Mii Fighters need to be kept in check, or else they upset the balance of the gods.

Props to Reflex for being the first NA Wario to break into top 8, regardless.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'd love to join the conversation, but I completely missed the stream. Could someone point me to youtube or the vods? Thanks.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace

...Beautiful... ;_;

@Shaya has been preaching that :4pikachu: is really over hyped as a character. Is his theory true?

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Props to Reflex for being the first NA Wario to break into top 8, regardless.
This is Wario's highest solo placement at any major AFAIK. With Abadango opting for a myriad of other characters, it's pretty safe to say Reflex is the best Wario out there right now.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Re: Doc

I'm not going to pretend I know where Doc is, and so my post won't address that.

But Nairo's smart Doc usage only reconfirms to me that certain characters just need a top player to confirm or falsify the theorycraft. To that end, Doc mains got super-lucky today :p

hypersonicJD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I don't have
3DS FC
2122-7467-7267
GOD DAMN IT. STUPID PC: WHY DID YOU GET A BLUE SCREEN!?

I had to wait for such a while and I couldn't even see the set. I don't know why, but I had a feeling that Nairo was finally going to take it.

Anyways, props to Nairo for finally winning.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The sad truth right? I'll at least bathe in the fact that I used to but didn't even before Nairo went full on ham.
I don't even play the Doctor and it's obvious that he's not bad just by taking a cursory examination at his frame data. Whoever I was arguing with a page back, eat your heart out.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Nairo pulling out Doc to beat ESAM feels exactly like Armada pulling out Young Link to beat Hungrybox's puff. (for those who don't follow melee, Armada used to main Peach and would always lose to Hungrybox since Peach vs Puff is a bad matchup, Armada trained up young link, a low tier, in secret to deal with Hbox's puff, and won that set and a few more to follow, eventually Hbox learnt the matchup and beat the young link though).

Interesting to see if Doc actually beats Pikachu or if ESAM was just playing the matchup wrong.

Djent

Smash Champion
I can see the MU being evenish since Doc does have some of the advantages of Mario on paper (and we know that one is rough for Pika). You're really better off using Mario if you need an exterminator, though; he's blue-collar and unafraid to get his hands dirty.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm guessing Nairo just went Doc for guaranteed kills off of grabs + he makes really solid reads. That last bit can make Doc potentially WAY scarier than Mario but it takes a really really strong amount of knowledge.

Basically yeah I'd still recommend Mario but if you're really good you can pull a Nairooo

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't even play the Doctor and it's obvious that he's not bad just by taking a cursory examination at his frame data. Whoever I was arguing with a page back, eat your heart out.
Nope. I was arguing bottom 10 if you'd go back to my original post. Can't even say I'm moving goal posts.

My point still stands: we judge character viability by their ability to go through a tournament solo. Mewtwo still has better results: he has a non-shared 2nd place in a massive tournament. Dr. Mario has a 7th and a split 1st where he showed up in two sets.

Its cool that he showed up, but he's still bottom 10 until he's consistently showing up places. Unless you want to argue that Samus is not bottom 10 material because ESAM has pulled her out twice and split two high placings with her?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Nope. I was arguing bottom 10 if you'd go back to my original post. Can't even say I'm moving goal posts.

My point still stands: we judge character viability by their ability to go through a tournament solo. Mewtwo still has better results: he has a non-shared 2nd place in a massive tournament. Dr. Mario has a 7th and a split 1st where he showed up in two sets.

Its cool that he showed up, but he's still bottom 10 until he's consistently showing up places. Unless you want to argue that Samus is not bottom 10 material because ESAM has pulled her out twice and split two high placings with her?
You're going to have to pardon me but this tournament happened when Mewtwo was a very new character. Dr. Mario has been in this game since release.

It's not like he's a character who was just released and relatively unknown. Hell Doc's even mostly a semi-clone/clone so there's even more knowledge already present!

This is a largely different situation and Mewtwo hasn't been nearly that successful since then. Surely you're not going to tell me that people knew of all of Mewtwo's setups right? Even with the spread of social media and whatnot, you know the drill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom