• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Stage Pack: Starter Pack Beta 2 is out!

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
Would it be possible to stretch blocks to form stairs with less height to each step, i.e. half or 3/4th sizes blocks? That could be a possible workaround to keep stair edges intact and still usable.

The main thing about hyrule was I wanted the right side as close to the boundary as possible so it didn't feel too much like a floating island. As is the boundaries didn't seem bad in playtests, and I personally thought they were about right. Do you mean the having the whole middle part filled in, or just the bottom of it?

The problem I saw with Giroman was even with stacked conveyors (I have 3-4 stacks on it currently) you can camp characters recovering from the left side after falling off, and I couldn't think of a solution to that when I was working on it. Camping on the actual conveyors wouldn't be much of a problem, i don't think, if you stack enough of them, so I don't think spikes would be necessary.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
3/4 height for blocks isn't possible, far as I know, but maybe stretching the structures would allow such a height. Regardless, I see it as too disruptive to be used. That's just my opinion, maybe someone else can give their two cents on the idea?

A walk off edge for the right side might be an interesting trait for Hyrule Terrace, I suppose you're right. We'll have to experiment. (and I meant for the whole middle part to be filled in).

For giroman, just make the conveyor belts from the left of the center move right and from the right of the center move left, and put spikes in the middle. That should fix you're problem. That's what I meant when saying spikes should be used.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Meh, might as well give some of my own. Note, these probably are very laggy, I don't know since I can't test them since my Wiis gone comeput

Saffron City stage

Size: Large

Music: Surely you should know this (Pokemon main theme)

Teh Drownloads teh herarz

Metal Mario

Size: Medium

Music: Boss Battle

Metalic Download is actually the click of this button

Princess peaches castle Melee

Size: Large

Music: Guess God dammit! It's obviously Angel Island Princess Peach's Castle

Royality Download link

Hope to have helped :p

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Hmm... where are the ledges? Or are there actually ledges?
The castle seems to be good though.
Apparently (I don't know if it works), If you put a standard block first, then a special or different block on top of it, and then a standard block over it, it should be grabable (so I heard), but I don't know if it does work (as my Wiis died).

timothyung

Smash Ace
Just tested your stages, dancingfrogman.
No ledges. The castle doesn't look as cool. Saffron freezes. Random walls, and freezes on metal mario stage.
You better grab a wii and test it yourself:dizzy:

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
N64 remake- Hyrule Castle
Just something I decided to try, no intention on testing but if anyone cares to copy the concept.

Might be a bit steep on the left.

The factory theme does fix Hyrule Castle's left edge. I'm sure you guys have already made the perfect remake but since I haven't seen any stage with the left ledge grab...I'll just throw this out there. Does anyone think the right looks good? If worse comes to worse we can always stack drop blocks...
Who cares what it looks like, we have texture hacks now.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
All right, just tried the pack out, and I have to say, I enjoyed Desolate Plateau the best. Great design, and definitely fresh. Battle Place was also surprisingly pretty fun to play on, thought it looked plain, but it really works well as a stage.

Dreamland was fun, but a bit disappointing, mainly due to the low ceiling compared to the original. Anyway you guys can remedy that a bit somehow?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Here are my submissions!

Okay, for the classic remakes I made these right when I first got Brawl--- long longgggg before Brawl+, or the PC Stage Editor was around. With that said, feel free to update these maps with the overlay codes to make them more aesthetically pleasing! I tried to keep them as ACCURATE as possible with the original maps. In some cases I had to tweak the edges so that they were actually grab able, which explains why there may be a block after a slope-- which differs from the original version of the map. Feel free to tweak these maps in any way necessary

Hyrule 64: (the 3 platforms may need tweaking)

Peach's Castle:

Saffron City 64:

Foursides:

In addition, I have some new tournament maps: Feel free to change the music as I made these in the PC editor and didn't have the music handy...

Sage Grounds:

I wanted to make a nice looking map, that flips the 3 platforms from the Battlefield style to a "V" formation. Feel free to relocate the 3 platforms, ideally I'd rather them be closer, but I don't want them to be ridiculously high up. It may be fine as it is... however the "V" is wider than I wanted. The edges work perfectly...

Zion:

Here I wanted to go for a somewhat rooftop feel though without doing anything fancy, I wanted it to be a variant of the flat level, akin to FD, and Waiting Room. I wanted to bring something different to the table, having a gap in the stage. This could pose as an interesting mechanic, as many characters can wall cling, and wall jump...

--------
Anyway, what do you guys think? Input is appreciated!

Here's the download link to my map pack!

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ydeiiozwvjk

Thanks!

BTW: I think Elevate is a nice map, the moving middle platform is a fine switchup, it's a nice addition to the game! Keep it!

skyblueyoshi

Smash Rookie

timothyung

Smash Ace
I just discovered that by using a big sized pillar, you can go 2 grids out of boundary to the bottom.
So you can use this thing for Saffron/Hyrule/Peach Castle when you can't stretch things around.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
It does if you mash B really fast to go up before you fall off...but yeah lol that should be fixed

Same "problem" with ZSS, but Olimar seems to be immune.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Hey, I just tried out the Starter Pack for the first time and they are pretty cool! I have a problem with them though.

They're too BIG!

Considering most of the time only 2 people will be playing at a time in most tournaments and such, the stages are a bit too expansive and the platforms are too wide. If you could shrink things down to a smaller degree and pick a size that brings the boundaries a little closer that would probably help.

Keep it up though, those are probably the best custom stages I've ever played that weren't too bland or too cluttered.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
So sorry, GHNeko, I'm still waiting on Pizzaboy for a code to help me fix it without much aesthetic sacrifice. It seems our schedules haven't been syncing well lately. I also have my own agenda with other things that have kept me from optimal activity for this topic. I won't bore you guys with excuses though. We things working now, and the (hopefully final) release of the stage pack is in the works and should be out in a day or two.

ComboKing
, we currently cannot give you the capability to do so. It uses special stage piece stretching. We will be more than happy to do it for you though. Just put the slope there as if it were going to be grabable, we'll then work our voodoo magic.

Yep, Matt, we're aware of the Ivysaur glitch. Thanks for the heads up, though. It'll be fixed in the next revision.

Systalis
Several of the stages are meant to be large. If there has been one complaint I've heard about the standard Brawl stages, it's that there is a lack of large stages, especially for four player matches. We hope our pack helps fill that void.

Is it just Destination Zero and Desolate Plateau you think are too large, or all the stages?

Dan_X

Smash Lord
!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry, GHNeko, I'm still waiting on Pizzaboy for a code to help me fix it without much aesthetic sacrifice. It seems our schedules haven't been syncing well lately. I also have my own agenda with other things that have kept me from optimal activity for this topic. I won't bore you guys with excuses though. We things working now, and the (hopefully final) release of the stage pack is in the works and should be out in a day or two.

ComboKing
, we currently cannot give you the capability to do so. It uses special stage piece stretching. We will be more than happy to do it for you though. Just put the slope there as if it were going to be grabable, we'll then work our voodoo magic.

Yep, Matt, we're aware of the Ivysaur glitch. Thanks for the heads up, though. It'll be fixed in the next revision.

Systalis
Several of the stages are meant to be large. If there has been one complaint I've heard about the standard Brawl stages, it's that there is a lack of large stages, especially for four player matches. We hope our pack helps fill that void.

Is it just Destination Zero and Desolate Plateau you think are too large, or all the stages?
I look forward to the revised pack! This is probably one of the single most exciting aspects of Brawl+ to me; these packs! I'd love to bring them tourney side! Eventually they should be included on the Brawl+ plussery site for official download!

http://web.me.com/shane_mulligan/Brawl+_Nightly_Builds/Welcome.html

There could be a section such as "official tournament map packs" or maybe they could make a pre-prepared pack with the code set so everything is already all set-up.

Glitch, what do you and the rest of you here think of my contribution? Are they just "meh" or did you like any of them? As for the remakes, what do you think? Do you guys want to tweak them or do you have enough of these remakes already?

Thanks!

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Alright, you've all been patient. The Starter Pack Beta 2 release is officially out, so visit the same link as before to find it on my Mediafire site.

It includes a completely different layout for Dream Land 64 that can be considered more closely matching the original. If you guys prefer the original layout more, let me know, if there's enough demand we might change it back and just name it something else other than Dream Land. This new stage layout will just be used to add Dream Land 64 to the Old Skool Pack.

Have fun, and get testing guys! Instructions on how to easily update are in the README.

Orca,
We've got Hyrule pretty well covered, but you're layout isn't very far from what we have.

I like your layout for Peach's Castle, it seems to play similarly to the original. Saffron 64 could use some work, but we're already on that. For example, the chasms between the buildings are too wide. The right moving platform should overlap the left collumn, things like that.

I am really liking your fourside remake. It feels a lot like the original.

Sage grounds indeed looks cool, and it seemed to play really well as well. While I'm hestitant to include another stage that follows the same 3 platform formula as most others in the community stage pack, this might be an exception.

I really like how you stylized Zion, and the rooftop feel is awesome. It surprised me how much of a difference that left column made. Unfortunately, unless the chasm is 3 units wide, it plays far too much in the wall jumper's favor and can lead to stalling. To fix this we'd simply open up the chasm a bit 3 units down. Also, there are issues I had with the framerate dropping significantly when dieing at the bottom right of the stage. The number of structures might have to be cut down. I could shrink the size of the right platform to 5 units to focus the gameplay more on the left.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
will we be getting the old skool pack soon?

also, have you considered using the Hackrule 64 stage as a possible hyrule stage?its the closest remake i've ever seen.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
I'll try to bust out these Starter Pack stages next smashfest I go to (Friday) and see how the peeps feel about them (if they're even willing to try these stages out at all).

Desolate Plateau looks especially interesting.

Sad face at the Ivy glitch.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Orca,
We've got Hyrule pretty well covered, but you're layout isn't very far from what we have.

I like your layout for Peach's Castle, it seems to play similarly to the original. Saffron 64 could use some work, but we're already on that. For example, the chasms between the buildings are too wide. The right moving platform should overlap the left collumn, things like that.

I am really liking your fourside remake. It feels a lot like the original.

Sage grounds indeed looks cool, and it seemed to play really well as well. While I'm hestitant to include another stage that follows the same 3 platform formula as most others in the community stage pack, this might be an exception.

I really like how you stylized Zion, and the rooftop feel is awesome. It surprised me how much of a difference that left column made. Unfortunately, unless the chasm is 3 units wide, it plays far too much in the wall jumper's favor and can lead to stalling. To fix this we'd simply open up the chasm a bit 3 units down. Also, there are issues I had with the framerate dropping significantly when dieing at the bottom right of the stage. The number of structures might have to be cut down. I could shrink the size of the right platform to 5 units to focus the gameplay more on the left.
Thanks for the kind comments! I agree, I think Peach's Castle is a really strong remake of mine. Yes, it plays near exactly like the original. Obviously if you guys picked it up you could fix the egdes for me, so it'd be JUST like the original level. I leave it in your possession, you guys can do ANYTHING to it. The same goes for FourSide. Yeah, I also like my remake, as it feels and plays very closely to the original.

As for my original maps. Thanks for the feedback. Though I was limited, I tried to make my maps look as awesome as the ones that you guys have made. I thought Sage Grounds could be interesting in that the 3 platforms have been flipped. To my knodlegde, there are no official maps that have a flipped 3 platform setup. I think having one would be nice, and would make for interesting gameplay-- varied gameplay at the very least. So thanks for considering this, feel free to tweak it in anyway you want!

As for Zion, I'm glad to hear that the map looks relatively neat, and that it makes for interesting gameplay. Again, I give you full rights to all of my maps, and that's no different here. Feel free to make the changes you mentioned! Spacing them a tad further apart is fine. Making it look fancy while removing any slowdown is obviously okay. I'd love to see a map like this in the Community sets. It's funny, it's such a simple design / idea, but it REALLY chanegs gameplay. It doesn't play like FD, or WR at all. It's neat.

I appreciate all of the feedback, hopefully some of my work will pay off and you guys will officially pick up my maps and make them your own. ;)

Thanks! ;D

P.S. I can't wait to try Beta2... I'll be doing that later today--- seeing as how it's 4am here. lol.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Soon, we plan on having an Alpha release of the Old Skool Pack. This release will solely focus on the layout of stages. No unnecessary structures and such will be used. You can then throw in suggestions as to how to closer match the original stages. As intended, this is a community effort, so your feedback is very important.

Frozen Popo,
About Hackrule 64, funny you mention that. Yes, we will be using a layout very similar to this that uses hacks. The stage should look a bit more like the original and will have a grabable slanted ledge on it to boot. See, we actually have Pizzaboy, the author of Hackrule 64 on our (small) inside team of stage builders. He's the one who's been able to lend his great hacking skills to allow us to do unprecedented things for stages. The look and layouts of all the current Starter Pack stages wouldn't be possible without his help.

Gurukid,

This sounds great. It's just the kind of promotion of the Starter Pack we love to see. If people have positive or negative feedback on the stages these, I'd look to hear it through you. The Ivysaur glitch is one I thought I fixed...but I could have missed that. I'll have to check.

Orca,

:-), I'm always willing to be a critic. The flipped 3 platform setup is actually used in one of the Starter Pack's stages, Battle Place, in case you haven't noticed. That's why I'm slightly hesitant on it. We'll see what makes the cut.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Just tested beta2. The edges are obviously fixed, though you don't really need a full sized block, a block just enough to fit the holes is ok.
And the Dream Land stage really need to be reworked. The ceiling should be higher, the platform should be thinner (2 blocks), the middle platform should be a bit higher, and the side platforms are too close to the sides. And seeing that 64 and Melee's Dream Land are different in size, you might want to make two versions of it. And the music... I mean it's a Kirby stage, we should use a Kirby song. Forest/Nature Area maybe?

timothyung

Smash Ace
Ivy Glitch is present on:
Destination Zero
Desolate Plateau
Battle Place
Seems to be the fault of the structures below the main platform. Place four normal blocks vertically on each side of the stage under the platform should fix this problem.
BTW, the Elevate stage is missing from the post...

BG3

Smash Journeyman
Attention Stage Hackers, are you guys ever going to replace the stage builder background with the original background that the stage had in its respective game? Because most people are already doing it themselves with final destination(Heck Neko did it). Well just wondering, because that would be amazing if you'd do that.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
The issue with that is if we hack the background of a single custom stage, it changes the background of all custom stages that uses that style (Ruins, Nature, Future)

:V

Dreamland uses Nature, so if we changed its background, we'd change the background of Elevate.

That and you can simply use your own textures. xD

Top Bottom