• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Stage Pack: Starter Pack Beta 2 is out!

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
The Onett one Rhubarbo made is missing a fallthrough platform on the right side. I believe its a telephone wire in the original stage. Its also missing two more fallthroughs where the the two tree's are

Also your going to need to get rid of those ladders because a flying character could go down there and stall the entire match.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
^That issue was fixed. And now debuting a re-make of Flat Zone...Game Zone!

Size: Small

Music: Flat Zone (Melee)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I made 2 stages I'd LOVE to submit for the community pack, I just don't know how to put it up. Should I take a pic of it and post that? or what?

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice

Name:
Bear Traps (subject to change)

Music:
Tetris: Type B (this is just a filler... not decided)

Design Approach:
On a lot of standard stages, we're given the option to go left, right, and up, but never really down ( from solid ground). So I took the standard Battle Field platforms, the Final Destination main platform, and added traversable platforms which lead to spikes. The spikes are there to effectively ward out possible campers and add risk to falling below.

Possible Design Flaws:
The distance between the spikes and the platform might be too little to be of any use.

Misc Notes:
You can't be meteor'd into the spikes unless you're fully below the platform.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y4yykmyqu1d

Just a concept of actually using spikes in standard play. I actually haven't tested it... just fiddling with this stage studio... so if someone wants to test it and give feed back, that'd be great.

We MUST have spikes in at least 1 stage in a pack!

PizzaBoy

Smash Cadet
@GHNeko

You know, perhaps it would have helped if the fact you wanted people to submit remakes was mentioned somewhere in the first post.

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
how do i get uber leet hax for grab slanted edges?

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

YESZ

some of the smaller platforms visually dissapear on the stages with clouds.

TOO LATE :V:V:V:V:V:V:V:V:V:V

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Before I start addressing a bunch of things to catch up, I first want to hear an unofficial vote concerning elevate.

Some people would seem to prefer the stage without the moving platform in the middle. One thing I would like to figure out before the next release of the Starter Pack (which should have fixed edges) is whether this platform should be removed or not. So make you voice heard, give a yay or nay for that middle platform and maybe reasons why. Thank you.

Moving on,

We must have had a miscommunication, GHNeko. It's fine for people to post their stages that aren't remakes, in fact, I encourage it just as much as the remakes. These stages might eventually be used in the first community pack.

The focus right now is to put together the Old Skool pack. It's the next release, that is all.

I've been gone for a day, so I have a little catching up to do....I will not be commenting on the stages submitted at the moment, since so many have been sent, but be assured that I've looked at every one sent so far.

timothyung, I commend you on your ingenuity of using conveyor belts to make a block half a unit high. I did the same for my original Hyrule Castle remake. With the stretching and block displacement abilities we have at the moment, however, we can instead us normal blocks at half height. You are right in that the thing on the right should one unit wide, not a two unit wide structure as others might suggest, but it must be 1.5 units high (characters in Smash 64 can shorthop in it, the body length is about 1 unit, so 1.5 units). I also find your use of slanted platforms to extend down to the bottom border to be creative an effective, and I might borrow that from you sometime.

As for grabable slanted platforms. This is not something we can make easy for others to do at the moment, but we are very open to do it for you. With your submissions, if you want the platform to be grabable, just make a slanted platform and tell us to make it grabable. We'll cover the rest. This doesn't mean this topic is a service for those who want their stages to have this special feature, we will only be treating stages that relate to the project in some way.

Smashbro29, 4 different stage browser sites you can upload your stage to (by copying it onto an sd card, then putting it on your computer, it'll be in the /private/wii/apps/rsbe/st directory, I think). Put it on one of them, send us a link, and post a pic of it on the topic.

I'll be getting to things soon enough. Thanks for your support so far, guys! The bug reports have really helped, and the submissions are looking good so far.

timothyung

Smash Ace
You know, when I first tried to use normal blocks to extend the pole, it glitched. You may have seen it before, the blocks will be stretched to to end of the universe, but the actual hitbox is not there. But when I used slanted blocks, it didn't glitch. Should be something about the coordinate when the blocks are out of boundary.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808

Airplane Flight

Cyber Force

Dark Cave

Fabricage

Floating Island

Hill Clash

Misconstruction

Technochasm

My eight stages. The download link can be found below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?eu4hdtel25z

Note: I tested ALL THE STAGES. And i couldn't find any glitch. But to be sure, check it yourself again. I made the stages not to big, since it has to be balanced. I also used the second size of the stage builder to make sure you don't die to fast or don't die to early. I've also put some creativity in them :3 I hope you like 'em :)

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127

My stage.
I tried to make a simple simple stage that was fun to look at and play seriously.
It's designed to all kinds of matches 2on2 1on1 whatever!
It's on the large setting.

To be updated

Another stage

I call it Mega Stage not only for the irony but because I like Mega man (but mostly the irony)

Improved version of the first one.

timothyung

Smash Ace
I made one more stage and updated one. Here we go:
Fixed Hyrule:

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=67968
One block up and fixed the right side
Metal Mario's Stage:

http://willhostforfood.com/?Action=download&fileid=67969
The ramp should be one block to the left, but for the ledge's sake...oh well
By the way I found the belts doesn't stop you from dropping off when you're attacking or rolling... so weird things can happen, like the Marth side-b glitch. That's not a big problem, though.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Ahh. Metal Mario stage. Too pimp. We can deff fix that up. <3
I can't stretch things :ohwell:
Those who have mastered stretching, please give the stage thin blocks, use slopes instead of the ramp and stretch the part with the fence to take the fence back, and make the platform thicker. That will create a near-perfect remake:laugh:

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Now to start commenting on stages...

My submission:

Name: Terraform (needs a better name).
Music: Jungle Level
Size: Medium

Download

When I build a map, I try to do something new with stretching. This map's new feature is the
tiny slopes in the middle.
This looks very similar to the very first stage you sent me with the grabable ledges, ahh the memories. I liked the way that stage played, but the boundaries were too close to the sides. Did you fix that? (I suppose I'll find out once I find the time to test it, and the others out). I think I'll like the added bump in the middle, but I'll have to test to see if it screws over characters with projectiles (Falco, for example).

And yet another re-make of...Onnet!The catch however is that this variation of Onnet takes place in the Sky so it is known as Onnet Ascension

Music: Mother 2
I don't see Onnet as being included in the stage pack (as it already exists in the game). The goal of the pack is to remake the stages of past, not reinvent them.

^That issue was fixed. And now debuting a re-make of Flat Zone...Game Zone!

I didn't even think to include this in the remake pack, because the original stage was so awful. Again, we aren't trying to reinvent stages for this pack, but the layout of the stage you've made here might be something to consider for the community pack.

Could it possibly be...Venom?!!!

This is more what we're looking for. The stage needs a few adjustments, though. We will not be making the top two wings grabable (this may change with developments in the future). The bottom wings should dip down at the ends, and they should be solid. We will be using our grabable slanted ledges to recreate this. The center fin will be thinner using stretching. Thanks for the submission.

Name:
Bear Traps (subject to change)

Music:
Tetris: Type B (this is just a filler... not decided)

Design Approach:
On a lot of standard stages, we're given the option to go left, right, and up, but never really down ( from solid ground). So I took the standard Battle Field platforms, the Final Destination main platform, and added traversable platforms which lead to spikes. The spikes are there to effectively ward out possible campers and add risk to falling below.

Possible Design Flaws:
The distance between the spikes and the platform might be too little to be of any use.

Misc Notes:
You can't be meteor'd into the spikes unless you're fully below the platform.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y4yykmyqu1d

Just a concept of actually using spikes in standard play. I actually haven't tested it... just fiddling with this stage studio... so if someone wants to test it and give feed back, that'd be great.

We MUST have spikes in at least 1 stage in a pack!
GHNeko and I actually tested the idea of using fall through platforms as a main platform to add more approach options. We even used spikes to address just the problems you tried to address (your spacing of the spikes from the platform is correct). In Vanilla Brawl this concept is not so useful because of running preventing you from quickly dropping through platforms, but dash canceling in Brawl+ makes it a quite effective addition, especially since B+ has momentum conservation. We may very well use spikes in the first Community Stage Pack like this. As for Bear Traps in particular, it seems a bit too much like Battlefield, and the pillars under the main platform just seem to interrupt the movement under the platform, defeating the purpose of it.

I'm getting through these stages (and not necessarily in order). Please be patient, I'll have comments for your stages soon enough. I still am waiting on those opinions for Elevate.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Today, Squirtle will guide us through the awesome stages in the Community Stage Pack!

SquirSquirtleSquirtle
*This is the plateau.*
SquirtleSquirtletletleSquirtle
*Heh? Did you just said I lost my leg?*

Squirtle! Squir.
*Dream Land! Cool.*
Squir Squirtle SquirSquirSquir...
*But my shell feels a little strange...*

SquirtleSquirtleSquirtleSquirtleSquirtleSquirtleSquirtleSquirtle
*OMG Help me I was cut into half*

SquirSquirtleSquirtleSquirSquirtletle
*I don't know why I am here... I jumped and dodged, and suddenly I found myself here...*
Basically what causes the glitches it that characters can actually land on the things under the flat block. So to fix those glitches, you could simply to remove the gaps.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
A beta release will have its bugs. I have a few ideas on how best to fix this that I'm currently working on. I also plan on modifying Dreamland a bit to make it slightly more like the original.

Alright, I have a few more stage critiques...
I present to you...Sky Passage

Size: Medium

Music: Sky World
This is similar to Pizzaboy's Terraform stage. I think we very well use a stage with this general sort of layout.

The original Hyrule Castle has a tower like thing, with no ledges to grab. I know a shelter indeed LOOK more similar, but gameplay-wise a statue is more suitable to replace the tower. But with stretching I'm sure we can replace it with a shelter.
Reference picture:
The shelter structure would be a bad one to use, it adds a bump to the bottom. What would be best is to just place a block 1.5 units above the ground, with a block put above it to make it the same height as the lowest fall through platform, then add a beta piece on top of that (the hump structure only available in stage builder).

Just a bunch stages I made a while ago.

Loud and abrai
Music: Yell "Dead Cell"

The idea was a low hanging stage with moving platforms in place of grabable ledges. It seemed to work in the bunch of test matches I did.

Clasico
Music: World Map (Pikmin 2)

Another test stage with no grabable ledges. The stair things seemed like they didn't work, but I didn't play this stage as much. It probably would do better raised up a couple blocks, too.

himalgam.
Music: Unfounded Revenge

The left side is close to the boundary and has a grabable ledge, the right hangs out near the middle and doesn't. I wanted a Japes-like ceiling for this course.
A flipped version with the grabable on the right would probably work better. This layout seemed to work fine, but flipped ledges would probably work better for Tethers since the right is the one furthest from a boundary.

Hyrule Terrace
Music: Ocarina Medly

Based on the left side of Temple. The only obvious problem is I used the tree thing to simulate the raised area and it creates a wall. The stage might be better served dropped down a few blocks as well and given larger boundaries if needed, but otherwise it's playable.

Giroman

The idea was a counterpick with fallthroughs as the main platform and conveyors to keep people up on them. The stacking is a bit excessive, and the stage gives obvious preference to characters without tethers. It could be playable if the conveyor speed is balanced, or by putting an edge at the left side but making it small enough that you couldn't sit and camp there.

amalgamate.
Music: Porky's Theme

Tried to make a stage with falling blocks that was playable.
Loud and Abrai seems to be an interesting twist for edges and layout. We'll have to test this one out to see if it is balanced enough.

Though I see the strategy used for Clasico's edges, I tested this idea out and it wasn't very successful. A lot of recoveries are ruined by this, and a lot of edgeguarding strategies are also messed up. I don't see us implementing a stage with "stair" styled edges.

Himalgam has the same problem with stair edges (potentially easy to fix). It's platforms are too high for several characters to reach from the main platform without using a recovery move. This is undesirable as it hinders gameplay flow and encourages camping on said platforms. Lowering both platforms one unit might fix this.

Hyrule Terrace is a really interesting idea. The stage does need a few tweaks, though. For one thing, the stage size needs to be increased. The moving platform below should be removed. I've seen other submitted stages with a platform below like this. This serves as an island to camp at, which is very hard for certain characters to approach. With this removed, the lower fall through platforms should be filled in with solid materials (there's no reason for them to be there except for characters with really good recoveries who can reach it, which is unbalanced). The tree structure can be replaced with stretched blocks so that branch isn't sticking out. The height could be lowered a unit, but I'll have to test it to see what's reasonable. This might be a good submission to include in a certain other stage pack that'll come in after the first Community Stage Pack...I'll keep all mysterious about it for now, though.

Gyroman seems to be an interesting idea. By overlapping the conveyor belts you can make them move a person very fast, avoiding camping at the bottom. Put spikes in the middle to discourage people from just sitting at the center of that bottom area, though. They'll just have to jump from the platform before they get to the middle. This seems like a viable idea.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Why use the beta piece? The top should be flat.
For the shelter idea, I meant to stretch it to extremely long, about 4.5 times the height and 0.5 times the width of a small piece of the green shelter. The upper part should be around 1.5 blocks high and 1 block wide.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Beta block would just be there to make it not grabable. It could be flattened with stretching.

This idea for the shelter might work fine, with the bottom part of the stretched shelter actually being below the main platform.

Top Bottom