• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Columbus, OH Social and Smashfest Thread

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
@Juushichi, that sig... looks disturbing somewhat for some unknown reasons even though that'd be an accurate depiction of the team.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I couldn't explain why, lol. I thought it was so good I had to use it as my signature. I don't say that about things very often.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
I need to get myself a real sig.... If I was to use similarly themed sig, probably something involving Xellos, Fillia or Jiros for that matter. May be I should draw one for myself or something.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
So the weather is cold and I have had minor cold symptoms earlier this week. So I may or may not come depending on how willing I am on taking the risk and temperature today. If I do come, looking forward to play you guys, if not, have fun playing.
@Suyon, I would assume that they are having Smashfest today...

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I'm showing up again with my Wii. The weather doesn't seem too bad for me.

At this point, I think I'm the most common player at this venue, if not one of them.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, it's just me not wanting this to be a full blown cold which would really suck. Well, I guess I will come for sure because I need to get my daily quota of Smash fulfilled.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Oh hey, smilies are back, at least some parts of the massive collection. Anyways, nice playing you Soul Pech and the other guy that I don't remember the name. Everything was good until I was stuck in the elevator at my dorm. Anyways, tell me what I should do either via PM or posts. Oh and I think I may get AiB account just for WiFi possibilities during the weekends instead of playing level 9 cpus all day.
EDIT: Oh Fox board is like dead or something...

Konrad-QD

Smash Journeyman
Don't practice against level 9 CPU too often Because they give you bad habits. They aren't programmed in a way that a human would react. It may be better to Practice against a level 3 and imagine how human might react To certain situations like air dodge and such.

SoulPech

Smash Master
what I do is I practice different levels of computers. Level 3 is the best because of what QD said and Level 9 will help a little to find out some of the character's moves and ranges. For the advance moves, it's best if you watch vids of players playing, as well as going to the Fox boards to learn some things as well.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
@QD: Hmm, I heard of that too. Their powershielding and shield grabbing are mostly impossible. If I am going to practice against level 9, it will be against 3 of them. Hopefully it will get me somewhere by try not to get hit a lot and survive as long as I can. I read somewhere that this could help me with some of stuffs. Also, would you say WiFi is better than playing against cpus? It's like deal with lags (besides input lag that I heard which affects wiimote+classic controller) vs. lagless (besides input lag) but getting not-human-player experience... Anyways, thanks for the tip!
@SoulPech: Hmm, I do watch advanced players play a lot but I don't think I saw anyone playing against Jiggly as Fox since Jiggly is like really rare occurrence. However, you do have a point, I need to watch them more and I think they are little bit better than Fox boards at times because Fox boards is kind of dead and no new information springs out, but I guess I will re-read some vital information and plan accordingly against others. Thanks!

SoulPech

Smash Master
if you post in a dead forum, you will get a response from someone. You can also read up on the guides. there's also a thread under the competitive discussion thread where you can watch top vids from specific characters.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Thanks again! Hopefully I will remember some of them when I play next Wednesday and actually apply them in matches, because it won't be so good if you can't apply newly learned things during matches. Well, I guess that's where the experience comes in, like you can know your techniques but do not know what to use when faced with certain situations which is where I currently am (though I can't say I know all techs and stuffs).

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Yeah, hopefully I will be able to do that. A question though, should I know all of my frame data or can I just get away by trial and error? Meaning, not having to memorize all frame data.

Suyon

Smash Lord
So while trying to edit musics on my SD card. Just one music, but BCSM decided to just completely destroy my SD card making it unreadable on any SD card reader. I don't have P:M anymore lol. Wondering if I should go buy an SD card or just see if I have any leftovers from home.....

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
In a case like that, it's a good idea to backup all of your P:M files & folders somewhere should you lose or mess up the SD Card you originally had it all on.

Suyon

Smash Lord
I would really like to get it now and have a set up for this Saturday. If only I knew how to get to microcenter as well. Hopefully radio shack has them and cheap too. Wonder if they'll let me return it on Sunday if I have any SD cards at home since mi madre coming to C-bus for some errand.
It probably will be a good idea to keep backup files since BCSM has always been screwy with me.

Oh but what will I ever do?! If I pay 6+ dollars for this and enter P:M then I will be 11+ dollars short to afford my PS4 now!! I guess I shouldn't enter P:M now :x

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
So my roommates that think competitive players are cheap a-holes suggested that I spot dodge all the time instead of shielding because he saw me playing with their dysfunctional wiimote+classic controller which made me play even more terrible due to not being able to powershield or hold up shield or perform much needed techs. Though I disagree wholeheartedly, I came to wonder the tactical value of spot dodging, can it be used as some sort of bait? And if so, how effective will it be?

SoulPech

Smash Master
Your roommates are scrubs >.> If they think that, they're just mad. Don't let what they say discourage you...they're just too bad and try to hinder you from getting better IMO.

Spot dodge is good for most characters, especially those with quick spot dodges like Fox, DDD, etc. It's a good way to mix up your defense unless it becomes easy to read. Same with Powershielding.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Thanks for the words of encouragement SP! And yes, they were quite mad because I went Meta Knight against them because I don't believe Fox is really good against 3 other individual characters running around trying to kill each other and that kind of sparked whole "controversy" because I used to go Fox even in 4P FFA (which is what we usually play, and I learned that Fox wasn't really good in FFA by experience of playing against them even though I may have had some successes against them in the past). Well the debate was how Smashboard decided to ban MK in all competitive play and then I was telling the otherwise and how there were tournaments were ran with MK ban rule but I don't think APEX banned MK (exception being double MK in doubles) . Overall that was the stupidest debate I was ever in. Anyways, It seems like Fox's spot dodge really is quick according to frame data. I guess I could use some variations in my defense to avoid getting grabbed like there's no tomorrow like I did in this Wednesday.

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
inb4 Jiggly Puff was truly the cheapest character in the game and Meta Knight pales in comparison of cheapness complaints and that you should never ever play edge games to pressure your opponent because they feel the pressure.:rolleyes:

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
Hmm, the chaos that stalling could cause and the talk of how "gay" it is... Sounds... Fun! And good thing is, if you ever play them, they don't to timed stock match because they don't feel the need to set timer so you can basically do that whole match and watch them rage should you ever play them (and I don't think they are interested in playing a competitive player). I mean, if they rage at me for playing Fox or Meta Knight in FFA with bad controller... Imagine the scale of rage and steam that will fill the room! Anyways, I tried to survive as long as I can against 3 level 9 cpu ::metaknight: in 3 stock match, and I survived what... 1 minutes and 22 seconds at best, though I don't get how Fox players like Yui survive so long past 130s. There must be some secret... Fox board said something about potential of reflector in survival but have not seen a single video of it at work just yet.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's really good DI coupled with keen knowledge of what can/should kill you. Some characters have kill potential that is focused mostly around a handful of moves. Characters like this are Falco (once you live past the dangerous mid percents), Fox, Mario, Pit and so on.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Pretty much what Chonce said. Like, I know Fox's kill potentials when I'm above 80% (U-Smash, U-air, B-air) so I'm always wary of approaching (when I shouldn't be >.>) when I'm around that %. This is because I know Puff's death potential as well. It's those things where once you get more experience, it's 2nd nature. There are times where if I die I'd be like "Wow that killed me?" and just never fall into it again lol.

Tell your friends to play me w/out time. I'd be more than happy to show them why you should have timed stocks :yeahboi:

:denzel:

I.S FoxMkloud

Smash Ace
@SP lol I could see your evil grin happening when playing them.
@Juu I think you should do critiques! I find your critique very useful even when I am just listening you talking to Carls and his opponent. Very informative.
@Suyon do you go to OSU by any chance?

Top Bottom