• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Question for WGF!

Hey SD Brawl! I'm probably going to type up a storm, so bear with me please. I don't really know how I'm to get in contact with the brawl community to get their general consensus as a whole since the AiB forums are pretty dead, so I thought I'd do the next best thing and ask the few guys I know that keep in touch with brawlers.

Long story short, I want to try and format the tournament in such a way so that people playing singles in both games only have to focus on one game at a time. The three schedules I came up with were as follows:

OPTION A: Classic Format
Day 1
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Singles Pools

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Bracket
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket

OPTION B: New Melee Format, Classic Brawl Format
Day 1
Melee Singles Pools
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Singles Pools

Day 2
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Singles Pools

Brawl Doubles Bracket
Brawl Singles Bracket

OPTION C: Classic Melee Format, New Brawl Format
Day 1
Melee Doubles Pools
Melee Singles Pools

Brawl Singles Pools
Brawl Singles Bracket

Day 2
Melee Doubles Bracket
Melee Singles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pools
Brawl Doubles Bracket

Alright so the melee community vastly favors having their tournament ran with the classic format and have basically tossed option B out the window because doing singles before doubles is blasphemy. My questions to you guys are: A) How important is it to have doubles before singles? And B) Would the brawl community mind option C, that is doing all of singles on day 1, and all of doubles on day 2?

The advantage to this format would be that by splitting the days that singles are played on, brawl gets all the hype on day 1, which includes the projector, seating, etc. (I know this was a bit of a problem last year) and in addition, players that wish to compete in brawl and melee would be able to focus on brawl for day 1 and melee for day 2.

This disadvantage to this format is that singles finishes on day 1. My main concern with this is the chance that nobody is going to want to enter brawl doubles on the day 2, which actually would help finish the tournament on time, but would be a major bummer. My solution to try to remedy this problem is having a guaranteed pot. Both doubles and singles will have an equal pot size, regardless of attendance. Hopefully this'll keep the interest sparked in doubles.

Anyways thanks a ton for reading this all the way through. Please discuss it at any future smashfests/tournaments and post what the general consensus is. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
i definitely agree, which is why i'd do a guaranteed pot for the tournament. At least 1k in each event regardless of attendance. hopefully that sparks incentive, especially once people (mainly UCSD students) think they have a better shot at money.

again though, ultimately the tournament is for the community. so if you guys don't think option C would work, or just prefer option A, lemme know.

.AC.

Smash Lord
i think option A is the best so far, ill make sure to try and let people know about this so they can give their opinion on what they want.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
Hey there Pat.
Myself, I'd rather stick with the traditional option A. Trying to cram all of singles for either game into one day could be problematic.

If you want to get the opinion of more of the Brawl folks going, your best bet is probably to make a poll on the tournament page on AiB and get people to bump the page to make sure everyone notices.

Pheonix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrostboltPhoenix
I'd say option A of those ones, but what about an Option D?

Melee Doubles Pool
Melee Doubles Bracket

Brawl Doubles Pool
Brawl Doubles Bracket

Extra time will be used to start on singles pool for either game, then day 2 we finish pools and bracket for singles.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
i think with that option (at least for people who play both games) you'd have to practice for both Melee singles and brawl singles for day 2, and that's what Patrick was trying to avoid. It can be very stressful and detrimental to your game

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Hey Stauffy, although i didn't put it in the schedule, i'm not constricting brawl singles to day 1, it could very well carry into day 2, which wouldn't be too problematic considering melee doubles are before melee singles on day 2. i'm not so much concerned with the time aspect of the new format as i am with the communities overall opinion with doing singles before doubles. the tournament will finish roughly around the same time regardless of the order.

Anyways, i know in the melee community doing singles before doubles is sacrilegious. i'm just wondering if the brawl community shares similar sentiments, and if not would they be opposed to having a tournament where singles is played first. From a TO standpoint i really like the idea of having each day focussed on a different game (mainly mic related match calling reasons, but livestream as well). And from the brawl/melee players standpoint, well LanceStern already nailed that one. I just don't want to step on any toes and make that the format if brawl players dislike the idea of singles before doubles.

Rickety

Peace and Love
I was going to post this in the Melee thread, but I just had to make sure that you saw it.

Stuaffy, thank you very, very much for coming all the way to the lodge to give me my binder! It was such a nice surprise seeing you! You have no idea how happy it made me to see you! Such a kind gesture, gosh! It's left me at a loss for words.

I love you! You are fabulous! <3

Hall

Smash Ace
I'm down for option C. The singles and doubles event are a day apart. I think the reason most of us like doubles first and then singles is because doubles warms us up since we have a partner to fall back on. But since the events are on entirely different days you can't really use the warm up argument for that. I'm not really for any one in particular, but I would like to try something new. MLG has singles first and then doubles
of course I skipped out on doubles to go to disneyworld

D

Deleted member

Ive never won teams and i really want to so someone awesome who i havent teamed with should team with me =]

Tearbear

Smash Ace
im down

also if anyone wants to come to play today for some last second MLG practice im down

so pretty much
smashfest today

.AC.

Smash Lord
yeah, icedx said he could pick you up. if you need help contacting him let me know =P

Awex

Smash Lord
I'm getting a little bit hyped for SD9. Who's free this week to practice with me? Can we play tomorrow Terry? I'm done with class after 3:15.

FIERCE

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the practice Hall, Staffany, and Ricketina! I've actually learned so many options in the matches but Stauffy if we play in tournament I am going to time you OUT G0RL.

<3

Hall

Smash Ace
Mexico was fun. We need to do the classic "SD brings 1/3 of your tournament" in Mexico.
I'm down to practice, time is gonna be kinda random on account of my work schedule this week. I'm gonna be free mostly in the evening.

D

Deleted member

Uggg im going to a wedding this weekend =[ of someone i dont even know
i wanted to clock people with MK

Top Bottom