• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
About the Diddy hate earlier, I have no regrets for my words. With all these patches, and the internet full with complaints about Diddy, and "Hoo-Hah" it could very well mean he'll get nerfed far beyond meaning. And my favorite character to play as becomes ****, just like DK. Am not gonna stand that as Diddy mains hardly can discuss anything because the character is just so hated. And that's just immature, and am actually for once happy with a statement Sakurai made about competitive play... 'I don't mean to patch according to online results or competitive play'. Am hoping my character stays viable so you -> certain group of people choosing to hate my character <- plebs will still be beaten by good Diddy's.

Hoo-Hah 4 Ever :4diddy:
hoo hah shouting is dumb and overrated.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
okay but how many of those games are comparable to any LoZ game? LoZ is an A+ tier franchise. I think calling FE a B- would be a stretch. Just because they "had the same amount of games" doesnt make them equal when Ocarina of Time is more well known than the entire franchise combined.

And you are saying they are on the same level because you are saying that FE can have the same number of chracters. Dont say you arent when your whole argument is that LoZ getting more reps is weird because FE cant.

I am now 100% on board with RTC DLC edition
In terms of popularity, FE defiantly isn't on the same level as LoZ but in terms of being a classic series from Nintendo's past, then I would argue they are.

What I was trying to get at before was that it isn't really fair to label FE as having too many reps and saying LoZ is under repped because that's a load of crap IMO. Maybe i'm the only one that feels that way.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't like Captain Toad. This is probably because he made everyone forget about Toad, who I have been supporting for a while now. I know I shouldn't be as biased, but I still don't like Captain Toad.
My recommendation is to see him like how I see Bandanna Dee. He's a more distinguishable version of a generic but staple part of a series that is being shoved up into being a more distinguished protagonist-tier character. If he got in, there is nothing to say his arsenal could be taken from the many things the "common" people of his species do? Though... in the case of Toad the turnip game already has a monopoly :4peach:. Not exactly sure what specifically from Toad's past could be used besides reference to powers from NSMB Wii+U/3D World because, as I said, Peach took most of the iconic parts of 2 and all Toad stacked in that game was the fastest running speed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In terms of popularity, FE defiantly isn't on the same level as LoZ but in terms of being a classic series from Nintendo's past, then I would argue they are.

What I was trying to get at before was that it isn't really fair to label FE as having too many reps and saying LoZ is under repped because that's a load of crap IMO. Maybe i'm the only one that feels that way.
In my opinion, as long as a series isn't taking over the roster, they aren't over repped.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Captain Toad is just Toad in cosplay.

The difference between that and, say, Doc, is that Doc doesn't really do anything that Mario can't do. He's a clone, not an embellishment. Captain Toad is just Toad with a neat outfit and even more moves.

what? so LoZ are both the same in level to Nintendo's past? that is downright absurd.
Loz is a powerhouse. FE is ridiculously niche. Im sorry but there is no way that LoZ and FE are comparable in Nintendo's history in any way.
the idea of repping is absurd. It should be on character merit

But Because you are arguing on the pretense of Reps then Look at LoZ's sales and iconicness and FE does not come anywhere close.

LoZ (which is huge) has 5 characters. FE (which is niche) has 3.5. can you honestly say that LoZ is only ~1.4 times larger than FE? no LoZ is much, much larger and that should be plain to see.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Regarding Fire Emblem: Personally as long as the characters can offer diversity, I don't mind how many Fire Emblem characters they add. I'd be down with a Manakete or Taguel or anything that doesn't act like our current FE crew. Hell; if Roy can shoot fireballs with his sword of seals, or heal slightly with it I'd be all for his return.

LoZ is seen as under repped mostly because they haven't had a true newcomer since Melee(Toon Link being essentially just a retool of Young Link) whilst Fire Emblem got two newcomers this game.

I do feel your pain though; convincing others to try and support a Mario character is pretty difficult when they just added two newcomers and a returning veteran. That's not even including the alts in Koopalings which some count for some peculiar reason as additional characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't linked his Paper Mario icon in the OP and it was a good on, but I think his thread fell in the list....
....what?

hum....does he allow sharing them with credits?

Cause I just realised these are awesome and I'm tempted to share the Paper Mario one on Tumblr :)
Yeah go ahead and share them with credit. It's she though~

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Could we get away with Captain Toad and Paper Mario having their own series icons?

It's a total scam, I admit, but if Yoshi can get away with it...~

Also I see Paper Mario in a similar fashion to Captain Toad, albeit, at the same time, in the opposite sense.

To wit: Super Mario and Paper Mario are not the same character, and it's because of such a point that Paper Mario has a plethora of moves that Super Mario doesn't.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
....what?

Yeah go ahead and share them with credit. It's she though~
For your question, I link sig icons in the OP of the Paper Mario thread and yours wasn't there, but I added it. As your thread....I just didn't see any thread for that so I assumed in was burred somewhere.

And that's the second time I make a mistake on person's gender...sorry about that :(

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Could we get away with Captain Toad and Paper Mario having their own series icons?

Also I see Paper Mario in a similar fashion to Captain Toad, albeit, at the same time, in the opposite sense.

To wit: Super Mario and Paper Mario are not the same character, and it's because of such a point that Paper Mario has a plethora of moves that Super Mario doesn't.
We could, but I don't think we would. Especially with Captain Toad.

For your question, I link sig icons in the OP of the Paper Mario thread and yours wasn't there, but I added it. As your thread....I just didn't see any thread for that so I assumed in was burred somewhere.

And that's the second time I make a mistake on person's gender...sorry about that :(
Ah ok. No worries~

does the paper mario use the mario icon? could have sworn it did.

and captain toad is pretty firmly mario. same world same graphics appeared in mario games. (with the exception of TT)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
We could, but I don't think we would. Especially with Captain Toad.
No way we would.

But do recall that Sakurai insists that Waluigi is a WarioWare character, so...~

does the paper mario use the mario icon? could have sworn it did.

and captain toad is pretty firmly mario. same world same graphics appeared in mario games. (with the exception of TT)
Oh, sugar, yes it does.

Stiiiill, no need to let something as trivial as reality get in the way of a good theory, riiiight~? ;3

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
what? so LoZ are both the same in level to Nintendo's past? that is downright absurd.
Loz is a powerhouse. FE is ridiculously niche. Im sorry but there is no way that LoZ and FE are comparable in Nintendo's history in any way.

the idea of repping is absurd. It should be on character merit

But Because you are arguing on the pretense of Reps then Look at LoZ's sales and iconicness and FE does not come anywhere close.

LoZ (which is huge) has 5 characters. FE (which is niche) has 3.5. can you honestly say that LoZ is only ~1.4 times larger than FE? no LoZ is much, much larger and that should be plain to see.
Again, theirs no denying who's the more popular one out of the two. I'm just saying that both are iconic Nintendo's series from the past and I don't like the idea of one series being labelled as "over represented" and the other "under represented".

I'm only arguing reps because that's the exact same argument people use when arguing against a character from a particular franchise. Personally, I don't think that a franchise shouldn't be taken in to consideration when adding a new character but theirs a lot of people that do.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been watching a tv show and one of the main characters intentionally abuses Explosive Overclock to get rid of poisoning and become extremely powerful. I think someone owned by Nintendo could have something like that, able to boost themselves up for a while, but when doing it too much they face a penalty like receiving damage or getting stunned, I dunno

Again, theirs no denying who's the more popular one out of the two. I'm just saying that both are iconic Nintendo's series from the past and I don't like the idea of one series being labelled as "over represented" and the other "under represented".

I'm only arguing reps because that's the exact same argument people use when arguing against a character from a particular franchise. Personally, I don't think that a franchise shouldn't be taken in to consideration when adding a new character but theirs a lot of people that do.
sooooo your argument is simply disliking reps in general?

then dont bash LoZ (or any other giant franchise) with your argument starter. It did not and will not go well. Just say thta the ideas of Reps sucks like I have been for weeks. Dont knock anyone else while doing it.

Franchise importance DOES need to be taken into consideration though. EX kid Icarus. I love it but it's super small. The 3 big ones (viridi, Hades, Medusa) could have cool movesets and are interesting characers but they really have no business being in this smash with how other franchises are much larger and thus contain more "all stars"

and again FE and LoZ are nowhere near each other in terms of importance or popularity.
"It's not even Comparable!"
-Xander Mobus

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In the April Direct, Waluigi's Assist Trophy displays the WarioWare icon.

I remember because my brother and I had a huge debate over whether it was justified or not.
Oh well, while that could mean something, forming any conclusion that isn't just a guess is reading a bit too much into that. It's not like he's ended up with that icon in either game he's been an AT.

For all we know it could've just been a mistake. iirc something in that Direct also got the Zelda icon and wasn't even part of the series, though atm I can't remember what it was.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
No way we would.

But do recall that Sakurai insists that Waluigi is a WarioWare character, so...~
That was actually just a mistake in the direct, the game still lists Waluigi as Mario.

The thing with being "iconic" is that it also factors in how popular and notable the series are, being classic is just one trait that they can have. Pokémon for instance is not as classic as either FE or Zelda, but no one would argue that it's not iconic. You're trying to say that being classic automatically means that it's just as iconic as Zelda, and that's not the case as the latter as far more traits to it that make it stand out to many then FE does with just being an older series.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
sooooo your argument is simply disliking reps in general?

then dont bash LoZ (or any other giant franchise) with your argument starter. It did not and will not go well. Just say thta the ideas of Reps sucks like I have been for weeks. Dont knock anyone else while doing it.

Franchise importance DOES need to be taken into consideration though. EX kid Icarus. I love it but it's super small. The 3 big ones (viridi, Hades, Medusa) could have cool movesets and are interesting characers but they really have no business being in this smash with how other franchises are much larger and thus contain more "all stars"

and again FE and LoZ are nowhere near each other in terms of importance or popularity.
"It's not even Comparable!"
-Xander Mobus
Well I apologize if what I said agitated anyone but I just wanted to address the mentality of "x is under rep'd and y is over rep'd".

Hell; if Roy can shoot fireballs with his sword of seals, or heal slightly with it I'd be all for his return.
Dude, I just had the idea of Roy using the SoS to shoot fireballs as his revamped Side B just the other day lol.
About the Diddy hate earlier, I have no regrets for my words. With all these patches, and the internet full with complaints about Diddy, and "Hoo-Hah" it could very well mean he'll get nerfed far beyond meaning. And my favorite character to play as becomes ****, just like DK. Am not gonna stand that as Diddy mains hardly can discuss anything because the character is just so hated. And that's just immature, and am actually for once happy with a statement Sakurai made about competitive play... 'I don't mean to patch according to online results or competitive play'. Am hoping my character stays viable so you -> certain group of people choosing to hate my character <- plebs will still be beaten by good Diddy's.

Hoo-Hah 4 Ever :4diddy:
The only thing that really bothers me about Diddy is his Side B TBH. That's the only thing 1.06 needs to nerf because everything else is manageable.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Paper Mario can get his own icon (I don't really know what it'd be though, mushrooms are pretty prominent in Paper Mario and a paper airplane only applies to one PM game and is also pretty bland for a series emblem) but Captain Toad should stay with the Mario characters...especially considering Treasure Tracker uses pretty much the same assets as 3D World.

EDIT: I think the reason Waluigi is classified as a WarioWare character is because it's inconsequential what series he's from since he's a helper character and he's associated with Wario, and if were playable, I think he's still be classified a Mario character.

EDIT2: Forget I said anything about that. :p

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Oh well, while that could mean something, forming any conclusion that isn't just a guess is reading a bit too much into that. It's not like he's ended up with that icon in either game he's been an AT.

For all we know it could've just been a mistake. iirc something in that Direct also got the Zelda icon and wasn't even part of the series, though atm I can't remember what it was.
The Sky World stage did.

Definitely a mistake in the direct, especially now we know he's with the Mario series in the games.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ Wintropy Wintropy The Waluigi with Wario icon was a thing that only happened in the April Direct. Methinks it was nothing but a mistake.

The game itself acknowledges Waluigi as part of the Mario series with a mushroom icon and categorized under the Mario series in the trophies. It's just like Brawl.

I know we all moved on but im really liking the idea of RTC part 2 (have been since the chracater boards reopening)
even if I wasnt a part of the first other than like 1 rating I would totally be down to work with someone else (or more than 1 idc) to do another. I dont think my schedule could allow me to do it solo anyway.

of course I would need a mods approval as well

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I know we all moved on but im really liking the idea of RTC part 2 (have been since the chracater boards reopening)
even if I wasnt a part of the first other than like 1 rating I would totally be down to work with someone else (or more than 1 idc) to do another. I dont think my schedule could allow me to do it solo anyway.

of course I would need a mods approval as well
I would agree with this if @Groose gets to be the thread owner again since his work was rather well organized. It would be a great way to have some fun and kill time until this entire Smash Election Ballot is over. :troll:

Last edited:
I would agree with this if @Groose gets to be the thread owner again since his work was rather well organized. It would be a great way to have some fun and kill time until this entire Smash Election Ballot is over. :troll:
oh totally he gets first dibs. plus any other long time member of it.

I mean it appears he has been mia but I assume someone talks to him

not everyone is against the idea yay.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
oh totally he gets first dibs. plus any other long time member of it.

I mean it appears he has been mia but I assume someone talks to him

not everyone is against the idea yay.
Against the idea? It was the whole reason I came back after 11 years!

Is there any characters from currently unrepresented franchises you guys want to see in Smash outside the obvious Isaac?

I'd be pretty pumped to see a Fossil Fighter myself. I've never played the games, but I'd like to see how such a thing could be implemented. Doshin the Giant's another I'd like to see, but he's...ya know...2big.

Is there any characters from currently unrepresented franchises you guys want to see in Smash outside the obvious Isaac?

I'd be pretty pumped to see a Fossil Fighter myself. I've never played the games, but I'd like to see how such a thing could be implemented. Doshin the Giant's another I'd like to see, but he's...ya know...2big.
Wonder Red. nuff said

Wrestler+ reporter from rhytm heaven would be neat as well

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

You know, it'd be pretty nice to see a vivosaur in the game. I imagine that they would pick the T-Rex, and its Final Smash could be it Super Evolving into T-Rex Lord.
Oh, and on a tangent, something I always remember about Fossil Fighters is how Nintendo Power had called it a Jurassic version of Pokemon. :chuckle:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom