• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ask and ye shall receive~

REIMU HAKUREI

Reimu flies high!
Gensokyo's lazy miko flies high! Reimu is a light middleweight fighter with access to a diverse range of spells, allowing her a versatile toolkit for any situation. While she initially appears to be a bit weak and underwhelming, her true power shines as the battle progresses: over time, her magic will increase in power, signified by the yin-yang orb over her character profile. When it's full and starts to glow, the next special attack she uses will be super-powerful: utilising the full extent of her divine powers is key to attaining victory!

* NEUTRAL SPECIAL - YIN-YANG ORB *
Launches an orb of divine magic from her gohei, travels forward as long as the attack is held, and explodes when released; at full power, the orb shoots a spray of bullets when released

- CUSTOM 1 - SANCTIFIER ORB -
Launches two orbs at either side, both larger and more powerful, but they don't travel from the host; at full power, they will shoot a spray of bullets when released

- CUSTOM 2 - HEAVENLY ORB -
Launches an orb that travels upwards before falling down again; at full power, the orb shoots a spray of bullet when released

* SIDE SPECIAL - DUPLEX BARRIER *
Releases a magic seal that shoots a hail of bullets straight ahead; at full power, the bullets travel further and are more powerful

- CUSTOM 1 - MYSTIC BARRIER -
Releases a magic seal that shoots a hail of bullets all around with weak range; at full power, the bullets travel further and are more powerful

- CUSTOM 2 - MANIAC BARRIER -
Releases a magic seal that launches a powerful explosion straight ahead with weak range; at full power, the explosion covers a greater range and is much more powerful

* UP SPECIAL - FLYING MAIDEN *
Takes to the skies with divine blessing, can float freely for a few seconds after initial jump; at full power, magical aura damages opponents that come in contact with the move

- CUSTOM 1 - LEAPING MAIDEN -
Flies straight into the air with great vertical height, but doesn't float; at full power, magical aura damages opponents that come in contact with the move

- CUSTOM 2 - SOARING MAIDEN -
Flies at a short upward angle, floats for much longer and faster while active; at full power, magical aura damages opponents that come in contact with the move

* DOWN SPECIAL - SEALING CIRCLE *
Casts a spell that negates harm, summoning a barrier that absorbs projectiles; at full power, the barrier is larger and restores health from absorbed projectiles

- CUSTOM 1 - DIVINE CIRCLE -
Barrier covers a greater area and reflects projectiles, but only appears for a second; at full power, the barrier is larger and reflects projectiles with greater speed and power

- CUSTOM 2 - WHIMSICAL CIRCLE -
Barrier explodes when it appears, only lasts a second and doesn't absorb projectiles; at full power, the explosion is larger and more powerful

* FINAL SMASH - FANTASY HEAVEN *
Unleashes the true power of her divine spirit, releasing deluge of magic bullets is released from her gohei, followed by an enormous explosion that spreads magic bullets across the entire stage and instantly fills magic gauge

Jab - Strikes with her gohei
Jab combo - Strikes with her gohei three times
F-tilt - Swipes her gohei through the air
U-tilt - Kicks upwards into the air
D-tilt - Sweeps her gohei across the ground
F-smash - Releases a burst of magic in front
U-smash - Releases a burst of magic overhead
D-smash - Releases a burst of magic at her feet
Dash - Strikes with her gohei while dashing
N-air - Spins her gohei in a striking circle
F-air - Kicks in front
B-air - Backhands with her gohei
U-air - Releases a magic seal overhead
D-air - Strikes with her heel
Grab - Catches with magic levitation
Pummel - Strikes with her gohei
F-throw - Twirls around and throws forwards
B-throw - Spins around and throws backwards
U-throw - Blasts into the air with magic
D-throw - Drops down and shoots with a magic bullet

Up taunt - Spins around and thrusts her gohei forwards
Side taunt - Puts her hands on her lap and bows
Down taunt - Stretches her arms and yawns

* ENTRANCE *
Appears from a magic circle and bows

* VICTORY *
Victory 1 - Waves her gohei coyly and strikes a mischievous smile
Victory 2 - Bows politely and soars off into the skies
Victory 3 - Lies down on the ground snoring and awakens abruptly

* COLOURS / COSTUMES*
Red and white outfit, black hair (default)
Black and white outfit, blonde hair (Marisa Kirisame)
Blue and white outfit, green hair (Sanae Kochiya)
Blue and red outfit, blonde hair (Alice Margatroid)
Blue and white outfit, white hair (Sakuya Izayoi)
Red and yellow outfit, blonde hair (Flandre Scarlet)
Purple and yellow outfit, blonde hair (Yukari Yakumo)
Vintage outfit, purple hair (PC-98)

* KIRBY HAT *
Black hair with ponytail, ribbon and hair tubes, gets a tiny gohei

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Are we really desperate for third party characters that we are genuinely contemplating adding Microsoft and Sony characters and indie nobodies in a Nintendo all-star game?
Chill, he was just asking a topic for fun.
I swear, we react ferociously every time we talk about a character that's not a popular candidate, at least be a little open to some ideas.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm all for wanting characters that appeal to someone as a fan, but please, let's be realistic when it comes to 3rd Parties.

Yes. Shantae, Layton...they have their connections with Nintendo. Their developers want them in Smash...but who WOULDN'T want their character in Smash? All of these companies coming out of the woodwork saying, "Vote my character!" is pretty much a given. But just because they support THEIR character means nothing. Everybody wants to be a part of Smash. So yes...Wayforward wanting Shantae, Layton's creator wanting Layton, Kojima wanting Snake is all normal. Fortunately, Kojima has the close connection (now Konami has Snake's veteran status).

So what I am going to say now, is that 3rd Parties will probably still have pretty high standards to get into Smash. Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man (even Snake) all attest to this. All of the characters that have made guest appearances in Smash Bros. have had a legacy in gaming. Now people want Indie characters in Smash. That's not even CLOSE to the guests we've had. What legacy does Shovel Knight have? Shantae? Minecraft Steve? Super Meat Boy? No. Just no.

If Professor Layton were a Nintendo character, I think he'd be a fantastic choice. Really, I do. It's the 3rd party situation that I believe kills him. (Also, I'd like to note that I barre no ill will toward people who want these characters. It's the people who think they have an amazing chance suddenly and that they're more deserving than other 3rd Parties)

Also, I noticed a conversation yesterday about Rayman. While I don't always agree with the validity of Wikipedia's data on Video Game Sales (and I hate talking about sales), Rayman is pretty high up compared to other series. There's a major drop for "Smash valid" 3rd Parties after Sonic, not even considering the sales. I haven't even checked when they were last updated, but I'm just mentioning this is available to look at. Interestingly enough, Metal Gear Solid has more overall sales than Mega Man, and Rayman is just short of Mega Man. If sales are so important to 3rd Parties, these guys could be next in line.

On a side note, I understand the people saying, "they have a relationship with Nintendo". I get that. But when I think 3rd Party characters in Smash, I think of Video Gaming characters that would make this game just absolutely amazing to play as. The thought of having a matchup of Mario vs. Sonic vs. Pac-Man vs. Mega Man vs. Solid Snake vs. Rayman is one of the greatest matchups ever. So many big name video game characters in one game. You could even throw Pikachu and Link in there to make it an All-Star Brawl between companies (yes, I understand Pikachu and Link aren't 3rd party). A big part of 3rd Parties that Sakurai has even mentioned, is that the charm of 3rd Parties is that they aren't Nintendo. The idea is that they aren't from the same company as Mario. That doesn't mean go out and get Kratos or Master Chief, but that conflicts with some arguing that they have to be highly related to Nintendo.

To continue on that, in regards to Snake, sure we can talk about Konami's current state with Nintendo. Konami used to be a big supporter. Now, not so much. But...isn't that a much hated...argument of recency? Think about the overall legacy of Konami, and what they've released on Nintendo consoles. Metal Gear (basically their flagship series) has appeared a few times. I don't see the issue with having Snake come back. Really, I don't get it. If you look at the overall LEGACY of a company rather than narrowing it down simply to exclude Snake from the running...yeah. I don't get it.

In my personal opinion, I think the 3rd Parties that have the best chances are Snake and Rayman. If Banjo gets in, that's great too. Banjo is something I could go on for in an entirely different rant...

DAMN IT. I WENT ON ANOTHER RANT. FORGIVE ME SMASH GODS!

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Skunny the Squirrel or bust

Yeah, Bomberman'd be cool.
I dunno bout his chances, heard Hudson was dead or something.
All their IPs are owned by Konami now, at least. In terms of 'iconic characters in long running series with a strong association with Nintendo' Bomberman seems the most obvious to me, though Konami is treating him about as badly as they treat all their franchises now.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do any of you guys find it a bit hypocritical when people insist on Fire Emblem having to many reps and yet are lobbying like crazy for (insert LoZ character here).

It sounds pretty unfair to me.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Do any of you guys find it a bit hypocritical when people insist on Fire Emblem having to many reps and yet are lobbying like crazy for (insert LoZ character here).

Both are underepped imo.
Zelda needs someone like Impa. Or anyone unique since 2 semiclones is disrespectful in a way.
FE should get 5, though coming from 2 to 4 is very very awesome anyways.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Both are underepped imo.
Zelda needs someone like Impa. Or anyone unique since 2 semiclones is disrespectful in a way.
FE should get 5, though coming from 2 to 4 is very very awesome anyways.
Well yeah sure that would be great and all but my main point I was getting across was that FE is just as deserving as LoZ considering that both series have been around for a similar amount of time (LoZ has been around for 29 years and FE has been around for 25 years).

I mean you're comparing LoZ, one of the largest game franchises of all time, to Fire Emblem which is much much smaller so I really cant back you up on that one.

Does anyone know where @N30N 's sig icons thread is?

I didn't linked his Paper Mario icon in the OP and it was a good on, but I think his thread fell in the list....

Does anyone know where it is?
http://smashboards.com/threads/siggy-icons-by-n3on-requests-temporarily-closed.395319/

it helps if you link the correct neon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean you're comparing LoZ, one of the largest game franchises of all time, to Fire Emblem which is much much smaller so I really cant back you up on that one.
Fire Emblem is still a really large series though and it's almost as old as LoZ. That's what i'm trying to get at. It's just as deserving as LoZ for another rep which is why i'm annoyed by the mentality of "FE has too many reps and LoZ needs another rep".

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I'd actually be hyped when Mickey Mouse would be announced.
but
why
epic mickey was multiplat and wasn't even good
On second thought, he has had positive history with Nintendo...
Holy S@&$, he might have chances.
Then agian, here I am, hoping JUST MAYBE for a SG port to Wii U, with a character for DLC.
It could happen ;~;

Last edited:
Fire Emblem is still a really large series though and it's almost as old as LoZ. That's what i'm trying to get at. It's just as deserving as LoZ for another rep which is why i'm annoyed by the mentality of "FE has too many reps and LoZ needs another rep".
what does age have to do with anything?

Zelda is one of Nintendo's big I believe 3 series and Zelda/link are 2 of the most well known names in gaming.

FE didnt even reach america until after Melee and hasnt sold well with the exception of awakening to the point IS almost stopped making them.

Now i am really against the idea of reps. But if you genuinely think that Zelda and FE are on the same level in Nintendo's history, I hate to break it to you but you're wrong by a long shot. LoZ is huge. FE is not.

Now that DLC is confirmed ... you know what would be cool?
The return of the "Rate their chances" thread, DLC edition.
im down for it

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
The only Konami character I want is Simon Belmont!

I'd love Simon too. It kinda stinks that most of my most desired third party choices tend to be under either Capcom or Konami control, although I think the 'one rep per company' rule is going to be one of the first of the unquestioned ironclad rules to be thrown out.

And it's a bit disingenuous to say that Zelda and Fire Emblem have the same stature. FE is still somewhat niche in the West while Zelda is one of the all time major video game franchises. If seniority was the only thing that mattered we'd have half a dozen Clu Clu Land reps by now. Not meant as a slight against Fire Emblem, by the way.

As an aside: Does anyone have a good source on how to parse the relationship between HAL and Nintendo? It's one of those strange cases where they work so closely together they might as well be a part of the company but actually seem to be technically independent. Specifically wondering whether Nintendo has any claims on stuff like the Eggerland IP which started on MSX. I'd like to see representation of Lolo and Lala some day, even if it's just a simple trophy.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Zelda is one of Nintendo's big I believe 3 series and Zelda/link are 2 of the most well known names in gaming.

FE didnt even reach america until after Melee and hasnt sold well with the exception of awakening to the point IS almost stopped making them.

Now i am really against the idea of reps. But if you genuinely think that Zelda and FE are on the same level in Nintendo's history, I hate to break it to you but you're wrong by a long shot. LoZ is huge. FE is not.
Yeah, I agree with this. I would be (pleasantly) shocked if Fire Emblem got anything more as DLC, with the possible exception of Melee Roy.

Troykv

Smash Master
The thing about "FE is overrepresented and LoZ don't" It is for that TLOZ is a much better known and best-selling franchise that FE.

And maybe some people think it's a little unfair, that the TLOZ's characters are only those who have had multiple appearances in the series (and :4sheik: because seniority). While the characters from Fire Emblem (except Marth) has only appeared in one or two games.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Please no... it's completely arbitrary and inaccurate. Duck Hunt Dog got a very low rating and most people said he would never be playable and Ridley got a very high rating and most people saw him as a shoo-in.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
About the Diddy hate earlier, I have no regrets for my words. With all these patches, and the internet full with complaints about Diddy, and "Hoo-Hah" it could very well mean he'll get nerfed far beyond meaning. And my favorite character to play as becomes ****, just like DK. Am not gonna stand that as Diddy mains hardly can discuss anything because the character is just so hated. And that's just immature, and am actually for once happy with a statement Sakurai made about competitive play... 'I don't mean to patch according to online results or competitive play'. Am hoping my character stays viable so you -> certain group of people choosing to hate my character <- plebs will still be beaten by good Diddy's.

Hoo-Hah 4 Ever :4diddy:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whatever happened to Groose anyway?

Please no... it's completely arbitrary and inaccurate. Duck Hunt Dog got a very low rating and most people said he would never be playable and Ridley got a very high rating and most people saw him as a shoo-in.
Maybe, but personally I thought it was good for promoting characters you wanted whilst explaining your reasons for it.
We could of even used it for certain propaganda imagery.
For example, something like this thing I just drew:

/selfishselfpromotion

The lack of vocal Captain Toad supporters outside of me and a handful of others is frankly disappointing. Does no one else want to bury pickaxes in their enemies skulls?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm not a vocal supporter or anything, but I like Captain Toad, and I think he'd be one of the best (not to mention most logical) choices as a newcomer.

Maybe, but personally I thought it was good for promoting characters you wanted whilst explaining your reasons for it.

/selfishselfpromotion

The lack of vocal Captain Toad supporters outside of me and a handful of others is frankly disappointing. Does no one else want to bury pickaxes in their enemies skulls?
people are still complaining that Nintendo's flagship franchise has too many characters.

I still laugh every time I say that.
Im not vocal but im here

would the mods even be ok with RTC being back?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I'm not saying that their on the same level, i'm just saying that their both classic Nintendo series that have been around for a similar amount of time. Even without the West, FE has been really popular in Japan and had multiple entries in the franchise by the time Melee came out. Heck, that number was even close to the number of entries LoZ had at the time.

Troykv

Smash Master
people are still complaining that Nintendo's flagship franchise has too many characters.

I still laugh every time I say that.
Im not vocal but im here
The Nintendo's flagship franchise will never be "overrepresented" because people know Mario's charas more than the half of the rest of the Characters in the game xD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Who cares, it was fun.
Maybe but it was an echo chamber... and people's beliefs about characters' arbitrary chances are reinforced... and if highly rated characters are deconfirmed, people get angry and denounce Sakurai for not listening to the fans.

But on the other hand, I get to say "I told you so" to everyone who looked down on Duck Hunt Dog.

Argos

Smash Apprentice

/selfishselfpromotion

I think Toad's a character that will get more votes from people who don't comment on forums, honestly. He's still probably the most recognizable Nintendo character that's not in Smash yet. I've supported Toad for a while but the invention of Captain Toad gives him such a cool new design and a bunch more potential things to choose for a moveset that I'd be really excited if he joined the party.

I'm not saying that their on the same level, i'm just saying that their both classic Nintendo series that have been around for a similar amount of time. Even without the West, FE has been really popular in Japan and had multiple entries in the franchise by the time Melee came out. Heck, that number was even close to the number of entries LoZ had at the time.
okay but how many of those games are comparable to any LoZ game? LoZ is an A+ tier franchise. I think calling FE a B- would be a stretch. Just because they "had the same amount of games" doesnt make them equal when Ocarina of Time is more well known than the entire franchise combined.

And you are saying they are on the same level because you are saying that FE can have the same number of chracters. Dont say you arent when your whole argument is that LoZ getting more reps is weird because FE cant.

I am now 100% on board with RTC DLC edition

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Toad's a character that will get more votes from people who don't comment on forums, honestly. He's still probably the most recognizable Nintendo character that's not in Smash yet. I've supported Toad for a while but the invention of Captain Toad gives him such a cool new design and a bunch more potential things to choose for a moveset that I'd be really excited if he joined the party.
Maybe we can have Toad, Captain Toad, and Toadette as palette swaps of each other. I'd be happy with that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't like Captain Toad. This is probably because he made everyone forget about Toad, who I have been supporting for a while now. I know I shouldn't be as biased, but I still don't like Captain Toad.
Well, we could have Toad in Smash... with Captain Toad and Toadette as alts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom