• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
You didn't even followed the characters/series order from the leaked roster -_-

Dixie Kong and Ridley are basically **** outta luck with their series most likely locked on the 2nd row of the leaked roster.

To be fair, I originally had Dixie in my previous roster but had to remove her after I've seen the leaked roster.

EDIT: Also Impa too.
and the Ninka leak confirms that Wolf, Lucas and Ice Climbers are gone yet you still have them on your roster. Also Krystal's trophy is clearly ripped from Assault and is not a new model, and no, it's not the same as how Falco has his Assault design as a separate trophy because that trophy had "Assault" paragraphed in the name while Krystal's doesn't.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Yeah... The model looks unchanged. :sadeyes:

I like the trophy. The description leaves something to be desired, though. It's so cheesy.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
and the Ninka leak confirms that Wolf, Lucas and Ice Climbers are gone yet you still have them on your roster. Also Krystal's trophy is clearly ripped from Assault and is not a new model, and no, it's not the same as how Falco has his Assault design as a separate trophy because that trophy had "Assault" paragraphed in the name while Krystal's doesn't.
Ninka also said he haven't unlocked all characters yet so I think the leaker who said about Wolf + Lucas + I.C. is fake.

I've read in the prev post about Krystal and her trophy name, but thanks anyway. I'll retry my dream roster with other characters...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So the leak is 100% true... the potd confirms it.
That's bad... the roster is full of clones and the stage selection on 3DS is even worse than Brawl's. It has all the stages I hated most from Brawl, the Wario Ware one and Mushroomed Kingdom... simply horrible.

Also, the Dreamland stage is the exact opposite than what I like from a new stage: I like when an old environment from an old game is reinvented and remade with modern graphics, while that stage simply reuses the old graphics and uses the flat zone approach.

Dark Pit, really? Sakurai, you disappointed me once again (last time was Brawl).
I think Melee will still remain on the top of my chart.

I hope that at least we're really going to have 59 characters, even if it's unlikely.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
That she does. There's yet to be a playable character who doesn't bear some mark of the triforce. You know what? You've sold me on Toon Zelda as the only remaining Zelda rep. Impa is simply not a possibility. Her slot will go to Young Link instead. His milk drinking taunt alone should justify a spot on the roster. There's no rule against multiple versions of the same character and after the Skull Kid disconfirmation, I figure that Majora's Mask fans need someone to cling to. May as well be the main protagonist of that game, am I right?
Get hype for Toon Zelda!:troll:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
How could anyone hate the Warioware Inc stage?
It was way too gimmicky, the graphics were horrible, it laked of both visual appeal and gameplay appeal to me. It's probably the stage that I dislike the most of every stage ever done for Smash.
You can't even fight that something appears on screen and if you don't stop the fight and don't do the required action, you will unfairly die. I don't get how someone could actually LIKE it.

Last edited:

HeroLinkTriforce

Smash Rookie
Just gonna say, Bowser Jr. looks like a fun character to main. I might just do that too...

I have never personally hated clone characters. It's weird that Sakurai brought back the type of clones that Melee introduced, but I know many Melee players prefer the playstyles of certain clones to their respective originals (me included). I'm a bit disappointed that Dark Pit seems to be more similar to Pit than I hoped, but he might have different weapons like the Silver Bow along with different Orbitars and a different Arm, all having different effects from Pit's. I won't mind it at all if this is the case. And there's still some characters we don't know about yet, not to mention this is the biggest Smash roster we've ever had. I think it's shaping up quite nicely.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I'm actually pretty happy about Bowser Jr. I always wanted him but thought he didn't have much of a chance after Rosie.

Though the fact that he's always in the KCC still weirds me out a bit.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You can't even fight that something appears on screen and if you don't stop the fight and don't do the required action, you will unfairly die. I don't get how someone could actually LIKE it.
Because some people don't play "For Glory".
Also, it's Wario's stage. That should be enough reason @ JabbatheHutt JabbatheHutt .

I'm actually pretty happy about Bowser Jr. I always wanted him but thought he didn't have much of a chance after Rosie.
I think he would have been a bad addition without that Clown Car, honestly. That thing has so much potential it's astounding.
I really want to see if Bowser Jr. actually has the Koopalings as alts. That would be interesting.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I want to see that too. Then I can make jokes about Roy coming back and being very different from Melee.
Ha. I know it's been done before, but this comic is so applicable

Also, I wonder if Bowser Jr's name will change with the alts.
Regardless, I doubt Bowser Jr. doesn't have color swaps.

D

Deleted member

Ha. I know it's been done before, but this comic is so applicable

Also, I wonder if Bowser Jr's name will change with the alts.
Regardless, I doubt Bowser Jr. doesn't have color swaps.
It's even funnier now than it was when that comic was first made.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

You're not alone. Riding on a robot seems way more like something that Dr. Eggman would do, though some games, such as Sonic Lost World, do show that he has some physical strength in him.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You're not alone. Riding on a robot seems way more like something that Dr. Eggman would do, though some games, such as Sonic Lost World, do show that he has some physical strength in him.
I like the fact that he is riding the "robot", and out of the leak, he is probably the only character who I like (even if the fact that the clown car doesn't fly bugs me a bit).

Anyway, there was another character who rides a mech, that I wanted to see, and that was Jill from Drill Dozer. That game is a bit obscure and it wasn't even released in Europe (I found it used at Gamestop but I was very lucky), but it's so good, and the drill with gears would have been interesting for a new way of fighting. Also, Drill Dozer is Nintendo's Gurren Lagann, and I love that show XD it would have been awesome if her final smash was someting resembling the Giga Drill of that anime!
Also, the Drill Dozer can fly (and swim but it's unnecessary) if upgraded with a fan, and Jill uses her punches too, it would have been very fun.
Technically, she and Isaac are 2 assists that are not deconfirmed yet, if I'm not wrong, so there is a chance that they both will take Little Mac's route and will fill some of those holes in the final roster... but who knows, at this point anything can happen.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Who else thinks the next reveal trailer will be a villains one? It would specifically be for Bowser Jr and maaaybe Not Pit. It can also explain why Wario and Ganondorf are still nowhere to be seen.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I could totally see Wario in a trailer with Bowser Jr

But a Wario + Rhythm Heaven character would have been so perfect. Oh what could have been.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I could totally see Wario in a trailer with Bowser Jr

But a Wario + Rhythm Heaven character would have been so perfect. Oh what could have been.
B-but Sneaky Spirits :C

I have never personally hated clone characters. It's weird that Sakurai brought back the type of clones that Melee introduced, but I know many Melee players prefer the playstyles of certain clones to their respective originals (me included). I'm a bit disappointed that Dark Pit seems to be more similar to Pit than I hoped, but he might have different weapons like the Silver Bow along with different Orbitars and a different Arm, all having different effects from Pit's. I won't mind it at all if this is the case. And there's still some characters we don't know about yet, not to mention this is the biggest Smash roster we've ever had. I think it's shaping up quite nicely.
Dark Pit has been confirmed to be using the Dark Pit Staff in his leak picture (View the dark pit thread)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
For some reason, I feel as though Toon Zelda is the more logical choice over Impa. First of all, there is apt precedent to support that she may have been considered as she was planned for Brawl. Zelda's down-special would be relevant to Toon Zelda. The song pertaining to the Trophy Quiz theory is Zelda's Lullaby backwards. And most importantly, she has the Triforce symbol, the prerequisite of any playable Legend of Zelda character. :troll:
I've been telling people for weeks why Toon Zelda is our most likely sixth Zelda representative. :b:
Don't forget Spirit Tracks and Wind Waker HD making her the more logical choice.

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see some of the female characters in a newcomer video, as IIRC, bar Palutena's intro, no females have been in a video? I'd like Peach to be in Bowser Jrs… not Mario AGAIN

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A lot of people I know really like the roster. Me included.
It has had a much better reception than the Brawl roster when it leaked at least, most people's complaints seem to be towards the clones and the lack of Ridley and Mewtwo (just like last time kek.) Even if there's nothing more to it I still think it's very solid, despite Ridley not being here.

I'd like to see some of the female characters in a newcomer video, as IIRC, bar Palutena's intro, no females have been in a video? I'd like Peach to be in Bowser Jrs… not Mario AGAIN
Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina and Rosalina.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Dark Pit has been confirmed to be using the Dark Pit Staff in his leak picture (View the dark pit thread)
I continue thinking that Dark Pit is extremely out of place. Offcourse, Shadow the Hedgehog uses chaos powers, Mephilies (clone of a clone) has even more different abilities. Dark Samus uses phazon based moves. I think that those "dark" characters are cheap and does not deserve to be in a roster full of big names like Mario and Link, no matter if they have a completely different gameplay, but still... unless the character has so much potential of being his own character, that he can shine alone without the need of being represented as the dark side of someone else (MetaKnight is a dark Kirby, but he has so much uniqueness that you can completely forget about him being a dark version of the main character; you can't say the same for Galacta Knight to Meta Knight).
If it was up to me, I'd have cut Toon Link, Marth (in favor of Lucina), Falco, Lucas, Dr.Mario, Dark Pit etc. and I'd have replaced them with unique characters, most from unrepresented franchises.
So many unnecessary characters this time; more is better than less, but I would have prefered quality over quantity.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
You should check out the popularity polls sometime, you might be surprised.
Forget about the popularity polls, most of the people that participate in the popularity polls are people that have played Pokemon and know about it, but if you put in a big plaza a picture of Pikachu and a picture of Charizard, most people (even those who have never played Pokemon will know who Pikachu is) and Charizard will be nothing more but a red dragon for most

Eckhem.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are veterans the same as the ones you mentioned.
They are from Pokemon, a much more Prominent series than either Mother OR Starfox.
And far more iconic characters, as well.

*Tired of the disrespect they get when others are so demanding for others to get respect, complete hypocrisy*
That's true, but have in mind that Pokemon is a series that change all the time, so is not weird that the character change every now and then, while Starfox and Mother doesn't change as much as Pokemon (The main characters don't change that much, maybe 1 or 2 characters are added)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
As I have stated my SEVERE problems with certain aspects with the roster and various details within it, here's what I am going to state as my final Roster Predictions/Hopes until Sakurai states something that entirely throws this all out the window or the true final roster is shown off in 18 days.

3DS Layout (Mii Fighters shown at the bottom of this roster but in a separate window, according to the leak).

I exchanged DHD and Dr. Mario to retain Lucas, Wolf, and Icies. Swapping Marshal for Chorus Kids is like swapping Vaati for Impa for Scatman. Final 3 other newcomers are then King K.Rool, Bandanna Dee, and Sceptile (swappable for Mewtwo if you are just absolutely against Sceptile for some reason). Layout better fits along the lines for Brawl-esque layout with characters like Villager, the two Space Captains, WFT, and Little Mac taking up the gaps.

Wii U Layout (Which looks a LOT better)

Blue: Veteran Starter, Red: Veteran Unlockable, Green: Starting Newcomer, Yellow: Unlockable Newcomer.

Now, here's my reasoning for each character, and here's when I'm probably gonna sound like a child at points.

Dr. Mario: As I have stated, his differences were very minor as a clone in Melee and was the first thing that came to many people's minds for Alt costumes and where he fits best. Him being in when Lucas and Wolf are gone seems so wrong.

Duck Hunt Dog: I'll trade this poor portrayal of one of Gaming's oldest a-holes for my Icies any day of the week. Just... no.

Dark Pit: He can be perfectly fine IF he uses almost exclusively new weapons (Dark Pit Staff, Viridi Palm & Claws, any Canon, any Club, etc) to make him basically an anti-clone. A bit surprised about him being in, but there is still good potential.

Marshal: A Rhythm Heaven character I could see as a better choice, sharing a theme with Mr. G&W. Chorus Kids... I just don't see the same full moveset that can represent the full series as well.

King K. Rool: With Cranky deconfirmed, he's the least-objectionable new DK rep for me.

Bandana Dee: The last character that Kirby will need to be included for the foreseeable future. Has a unique weapon (spear) and all the arsenal of the generic waddle dee enemies in the kirby series for moveset potential. And how can you hate that cute mouthless face that can just absorb in cookies via osmosis.

Sceptile: 3rd gen representative with OR/AS in the works about as long as X/Y, if past games are any indication. Fills in the spiritual hole left by Ivysaur being cut. Has enough potential as a fighter. A mid-heavy weight Pokemon newcomer. My prefered choice over Mewtwo, simple as that.

Call me a fool, but I will hold this until proven wrong by Sakurai himself.

Edit; If I had to include Dr. Mario and "Duck Hunt", I'd exchange KKR and Sceptile.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I had no doubt that Ivysaur and Squirtle were cut, and I'm kind of glad they're gone. Lucas, I was always biased against. With Snake in, there would've been too many 3rd parties IMO.

The chars that I will miss are ICs and Wolf. IC grew on me, as I hated them at first. Wolf should stay in bc I feel every major series deserves a villain (K.Rool/Lord Frederick, Ridley, Deathborn) and there's no better option.

Last 3 unlocked chars are Mewtwo, Dixie and Chorus Men? I heard him say that Mewtwo and Dixie were confirmed, and the third was a char from an unrepped series.
Never confrimed, the last newcomers, if there are any, have not been confirmed, hinted at by shaky sources, but not confirmed. Also, Chorus Dudes are mentioned the least IIRC

Thanks.

Krystal is safe from being "disconfirmed", just for now.
Nah dude, Krystal's out, accept it

That she does. There's yet to be a playable character who doesn't bear some mark of the triforce. You know what? You've sold me on Toon Zelda as the only remaining Zelda rep. Impa is simply not a possibility. Her slot will go to Young Link instead. His milk drinking taunt alone should justify a spot on the roster. There's no rule against multiple versions of the same character and after the Skull Kid disconfirmation, I figure that Majora's Mask fans need someone to cling to. May as well be the main protagonist of that game, am I right?
Don't even joke about that, I want Young Link back so bad. Toon Link is a floaty bum head, I was agile wuick spike with my dtilt Young Link back

I actually like the roster. Am I allowed to like the roster?

Only personal problems with it are no Ridley and the cuts. Sure, I also wanted Isaac, but eh, I got 5 out of my top 6. I really thought DK and Zelda deserved other reps, but I didn't care enough about any particular reps to be bothered by their exclusion.

Little Mac, Megaman, Shulk, Palutena, Villager, Robin and Lucina make this roster amazing. Anything else is bonus.
I like the roster too. I realized even though none of the newcomers get me amped except Robin, evryone besides Issac I want is unrealistic, and I find myself getting amped for movesets alone. The cuts are inconsequential to me, I never played any of them that much, I dabbled in IC's and its gonna be weird when they're gone, but its their fault for making it on the 3DS. Overall this roster is a 9/10, if Ridley's in itll drop to like an 8.8/10, if Issac's in, its a 10/10wb for me

EDIT: @ Burruni Burruni Sorry to say, but if that's a prediction roster, you're gonna be disappointed. You're allowed to believe what you want though, so have fun, but if you want critique its a wrong/10 from me.

Last edited:

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
Call me crazy, b ut I'm actually really excited for the roster. Bowser Jr. looks great. Overall, I honestly find the roster to be very satisfactory. I am as hyped as I ever was, if not more. The hype has not left me at all.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In general, I like the roster. These being my favorite additions so far:

:4megaman:: I recall how badly I wanted Megaman for Brawl. I waited for his DLC forever and ever. But he's finally here!
:4littlemac:: I knew of Little Mac on the Brawl hype days. When I witness his AT-ication, I was really bummed. But now he's IN!
:4sonic:: I was kind of afraid he wouldn't be back, but now I have my 2 favorite blue gaming icons in!
:substitute:(Duck Hunt): If this is true, I'm happy. The roster needs a LOT more retro characters, and this was my first game w/SMB.
:substitute:(Mach Rider): I love his game, and I wish it got a remake/sequel. If he's in, he's definitely one of my mains!
:4pacman:: Another gaming icon from my childhood! Knew him in an arcade machine, and spent countless hours playing Ms.Pacman.
:substitute:(Dixie Kong): I don't really support characters from popular franchises, but I'd be glad if the Kong trio is reunited.
:substitute:(Impa): Like above, + I don't really care much for LoZ. But Impa looks amazing, and seems better than other potential chars.
:4robinf:: I wanted a non-lord character, and I got it. Doesn't exactly play like I wanted her, but breakable tomes are interesting too. Not maining her/him though.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Because some people don't play "For Glory".
Also, it's Wario's stage. That should be enough reason @ JabbatheHutt JabbatheHutt .

I think he would have been a bad addition without that Clown Car, honestly. That thing has so much potential it's astounding.
I really want to see if Bowser Jr. actually has the Koopalings as alts. That would be interesting.
I actually didn't care for the warioware inc stage. So much more they could've done, like have it flip upside down to reference twisted.

I hope for the 3ds one there's a touchpad section

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260
I actually didn't care for the warioware inc stage. So much more they could've done, like have it flip upside down to reference twisted.

I hope for the 3ds one there's a touchpad section
I honestly wasn't a fan either, but I certainly think that your idea of a touchpad section would be really interesting.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Found a video of the leaked gameplay that hasn't been taken down yet.

There's a couple weird things I noticed. In the victory screen, why does Lucina hold that same pose without moving a muscle while Shulk moves around? Also, why does the camera only zoom in on Shulk even though he was on a team with Lucina? The guy wasn't even playing as Shulk, so why is all the focus just on him? Seems rather odd.
If the previously gameplay was any indication Shulk had the higher score between himself and Lucina, which is usually what determined the theme that plays during team battle's victory. I assume the focusing on Shulk is for the same reason since unlike previous games not all the characters appear on the screen at the same time and has that whole zoom in effect going in for it. It could be that it was simply easier to only have the 'highest score' on the team display the full animation on the 3DS version and just has the other teammates idle.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone suggested that Duck Hunt Dog actually fight hand to hand, but using the Duck as a weapon
Or, more specifically

If that's true, Duck Hunt Dog will be tried by me.

It's so ironic that Duck Hunt Dog and Impa are characters that got A LOT of **** from people from here in the earlier days of speculation but now actually end up being in the game. :laugh: This is irony that I really love, and it makes up for >tfw no K.Rool and Isaac.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
It's so ironic that Duck Hunt Dog and Impa are characters that got A LOT of **** from people from here in the earlier days of speculation but now actually end up being in the game. :laugh:
You shouldn't get ahead of yourself.

There has been no proof regarding Impa being in the game. Or Dixie, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, Mewtwo etc. for that matter.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Dixie, Mewtwo and Impa aren't in, this roster is a complete ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom