• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't think that should mean his render design should look like crap. I guess it's just my opinion, but his render just doesn't look good.
Well to be fair we still need to see the entire render itself, and i think his trophy looks good, his model looks a little taller and les chubby than in Brawl.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't think that should mean his render design should look like crap. I guess it's just my opinion, but his render just doesn't look good.
For me, when I saw the leak, Ganondorf looked really out of place compared to everyone else. Yes, that includes Duck Hunt Dog, one-eyed Wario, and Shulk - I think it's the angle of his pose. Ganondorf's background was so dark compared to everyone else who had lighter shades of color. Then again, we're talking about an evil king of doom and gloom and next in line in the Villain Syndicate is a goofy "villain" named Bowser.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
I just realized.

Probably going to eat even more crow but if the rumors of Ridley and Impa are true (a big if) then I guess the Trophy Theory wasn't complete BS after all.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
like I said I will not believe that leak until Ice Climbers or any other "cut" character are disproven by the developer himself it might look convincing but it could be fake I do not take anything that is like this seriously until there is rock solid official evidence to make it believable. but there is a video! did the developer himself put the video up? someone answer that question for me.
Well if it helps, I just tried to watch the leak video embedded on this site, and it said "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Nintendo of America Inc."

That action itself seems pretty convincing to me.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Well if it helps, I just tried to watch the leak video embedded on this site, and it said "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Nintendo of America Inc."

That action itself seems pretty convincing to me.
He's not gonna be convinced, just ignore him at this point. #TeamFake needs some supporters anyway

Burruni

Smash Hero
The videos today confirm Shulk and Bowser Jr. as much as they can be without Sakurai officially confirming them.

This does not explicitly confirm the others, but it does give a lot more support for them.

This gives proof for one Semi-Likely character and what many considered the most-likely newcomer.

For those who believe in it, say this full confirms it.

For those who don't, remember that Gematsu was also considered gospel right to the seconds before Lucina and Robin's shared trailer. Need I remind you of the Xenolith Soft employee retweeting it for Monado Monday?

It is not guaranteed, but is begrudgingly likely.

We have 19 days to know the truth, one way or the other.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Check out what some idiot respectable person on youtube had to say about the big 3 when I asked why shouldn't they be on the roster:

Donald Pops

5:24 PM
Because Ridley is too big (and downsizing him would make him less threatening, don't use Bowser as an example because his size varies in all mario games), Mewtwo is replaced by Lucario, and King K. Rool is a stupid name and looks dumb.

Donald Pops- 2016

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Alright, I'm decently satisfied with what's confirmed in the leak so far. Shulk and Jr both look cool and fun. Kinda peeved on Ganondorf, but whatevs. With the rest of this all, I just hope Star Fox and MOTHER aren't getting the slap across the face I think they are. I have hopes for Wolf since he's an unlockable anyways, and even Lucas, now, too. I swear I see him in the "With Anyone" icon (could also be DK). I have high hopes for Snake as well, so, ironically, the only veteran I don't have hopes for is Ice Climbers. That REALLY sucks, because it's clear that they were cut because of the 3DS version.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I just realized.

Probably going to eat even more crow but if the rumors of Ridley and Impa are true (a big if) then I guess the Trophy Theory wasn't complete BS after all.
Possible.

But who cares about eating crow? Who cares about being wrong about videogames?

Not I.

Zynux

Smash Lord
After all this, Ridley still lives through the fire and ashes.

Like in Metroid Canon, nothing kills this ****ing Dragon. Nothing. He'll just keep coming back.

Possible.

But who cares about eating crow? Who cares about being wrong about videogames?

Not I.
I was being facetious, I don't entirely care. The only thing I will actually care about being wrong about is if Ridley shows up in a PoTD. I'm pretty confident it won't happen, regardless of his role.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
So stoked that Dixie Kong will most likely be playable. I've wanted her since pre-brawl days. It feels kind of unreal, honestly.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
So stoked that Dixie Kong will most likely be playable. I've wanted her since pre-brawl days. It feels kind of unreal, honestly.
I cannot wait to do Dixie and Diddy doubles. The natural order of the universe would be restored.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We have 19 days to know the truth, one way or the other.
Unless we get DLC characters.

Which, is a huge likelihood.
Considering getting a legitimate leak was nearly guaranteed.
And Sakurai does not like to have the the rug pulled from under him.

The only way to do this would be to not have all the characters on the cartridge.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Unless we get DLC characters.

Which, is a huge likelihood.
Considering getting a legitimate leak was nearly guaranteed.
And Sakurai does not like to have the the rug pulled from under him.

The only way to do this would be to not have all the characters on the cartridge.
What are some potential DLC characters you see happening? Yes, I'm aware this is a discussion worn to death, but now that we know the majority of the roster, suddenly.... We can speculate with some degree of accuracy!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I (wisely, if I may say so) withheld judgment on the current leak, and I still am. However, Bowser, Jr., may be a new favorite of mine, while I must say that Shulk looks rather... lackluster. I'm keeping myself fully open to all possibilities (ranging from all of this turning out 100% true to everything being an extremely elaborate hoax), but my non-objective side is ready to accept it. And like most, I hope for a few more characters to surface, and I do think that the locked All-Star mode is a decent indicator. I don't have any big wants roster wise at this point, though, so anybody else that does show up is just a bonus. (com'on, Dixie and Isaac...)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Alright, I'm decently satisfied with what's confirmed in the leak so far. Shulk and Jr both look cool and fun. Kinda peeved on Ganondorf, but whatevs. With the rest of this all, I just hope Star Fox and MOTHER aren't getting the slap across the face I think they are. I have hopes for Wolf since he's an unlockable anyways, and even Lucas, now, too. I swear I see him in the "With Anyone" icon (could also be DK). I have high hopes for Snake as well, so, ironically, the only veteran I don't have hopes for is Ice Climbers. That REALLY sucks, because it's clear that they were cut because of the 3DS version.
Eckhem.

Squirtle and Ivysaur are veterans the same as the ones you mentioned.
They are from Pokemon, a much more Prominent series than either Mother OR Starfox.
And far more iconic characters, as well.

*Tired of the disrespect they get when others are so demanding for others to get respect, complete hypocrisy*

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What are some potential DLC characters you see happening? Yes, I'm aware this is a discussion worn to death, but now that we know the majority of the roster, suddenly.... We can speculate with some degree of accuracy!
WHICH DLC ARE LIKELY
Well, it depends on a few big factors.

1- Are there more characters to unlock?
2- For how long will we get characters as DLC?

a- Are they already decided now?
b- Will they be decided later?​
3- What will Market Strategy be?
a- Will we see DLC of veterans between Wii U and 3DS Launch (either unfinished characters, or keep hype)
b- Are we strictly building hype (big three)
c- Are we promoting new games (fully new franchises to build stability, such as Splatoon, and bonus characters, such as Krystal for upcoming games?)

EDIT: *double post, noooo*​

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Anyway, what do you guys think of the concept of Bowser Jr. fighting in his koopa clown kart?, i personally hate Bowser Jr. as a character but honestly this idea seems too good to pass up.
I've been interested in a character that fights in a machine. Tron Bonne and Eggman are examples that I really enjoy and I think it adds a lot to the roster. In the Mario franchise, I wanted to see these characters in this order: Paper Mario, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Toad, the rest.

There's only one bad example that I can think of, and that was Pac-Man in Street Fighter X Tekken. Bowser Jr. looks great though. And he's currently the only leaked newcomer that highly interests me.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I think this deconfirms the chorus men too, if they were unable to put a duo in the 3ds then they would probably have even more problems with a trio

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Eckhem.

They are from Pokemon, a much more Prominent series than either Mother OR Starfox.

*Tired of the disrespect they get when others are so demanding for others to get respect, complete hypocrisy*
Honestly, Squirtle and Ivysaur are the two that I don't want to see cut the most. I think I'll miss them the most compared to the rest.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I always assumed that if the Chorus Men were a thing, they'd just control like one character with unusual hitboxes. The three would always be grouped together. But that was just my assumption.

So, I have a question... Bowser, Jr.,'s alts are supposedly the Koopalings. Will his name change to Lemmy, Roy, Wendy, etc., for each change? Because if not, that's gonna drive me crazy to see Larry flying around under BJ's name.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Eckhem.

Ivysaur and Squirtle were sacrificed to make Charizard a lone fighter. If Lucas and Wolf get cut, what do they leave behind? Nothing. Am I a hypocrite for wanting a good reason to cut a character?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, I have a question... Bowser, Jr.,'s alts are supposedly the Koopalings. Will his name change to Lemmy, Roy, Wendy, etc., for each change? Because if not, that's gonna drive me crazy to see Larry flying around under BJ's name.
This is one reason that I have to double think the whole alternate costume thing. I guess some may say it's a little nit-picky, but I was never a fan of the idea to see a character running around with someone else's name.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

With the leaks and whatnot, here is what I honestly think we will get. Sadly, the only parts I am second guessing myself on are K Rool and the Ice Climbers, but I feel in my gut that they have a shot still. So, assume for a second that this is the final roster, how would you all feel?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
View attachment 23052

With the leaks and whatnot, here is what I honestly think we will get. Sadly, the only parts I am second guessing myself on are K Rool and the Ice Climbers, but I feel in my gut that they have a shot still. So, assume for a second that this is the final roster, how would you all feel?
I'd be fine with it. Heck, it's organized better than the other one. :troll:
I'd really like to see Paper Mario and Bandana Dee though. But I've lost a lot of hope for them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ivysaur and Squirtle were sacrificed to make Charizard a lone fighter. If Lucas and Wolf get cut, what do they leave behind? Nothing. Am I a hypocrite for wanting a good reason to cut a character?
If you think that such justifies a character being cut, in any sense of the word- I think that is a separate conversation.
Lucas and Wolf are far less necessary to Nintendo than the original Pokemon Trio.
The fact that so many don't even mention the two anymore is what is hypocritical.

They are actually fully original characters, unlike the two you mention, who are often considered to be 'over representation.'

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
View attachment 23052

I'd be hyped. Heck, I am hyped. I feel like a lot of people's hype has died, which makes me sad (not mad, so don't jump on me for not liking your opinion or whatever). I just wish for people to enjoy the game. Anyway, I've already got Rosalina and (most probably) Bowser, Jr., plus Greninja, Robin, and all my favorite veterans. Dixie Kong is looking fairly likely, which is awesome by me. The only thing that could take all of this to the next level of hype is if Isaac were to be playable. But I'm completely fine if/when that's not the case. ^__^

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
View attachment 23052

Well, you have K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf in addition to the "leaked" newcomers, along with some others. So, I'd be perfectly satisfied with this roster.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
If you think that such justifies a character being cut, in any sense of the word- I think that is a separate conversation.
Lucas and Wolf are far less necessary to Nintendo than the original Pokemon Trio.
The fact that so many don't even mention the two anymore is what is hypocritical.

They are actually fully original characters, unlike the two you mention, who are often considered to be 'over representation.'
You're joking, right? Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have the star power to hold a roster spot on their own, like Charizard can. I like them too, but you know it.
Also, Wolf and Lucas ARE NOT CLONES. Nor are they over-representation. If Kid Icarus can have three characters, then there is no way in hell Star Fox doesn't deserve three.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
View attachment 23052

You've got Mewtwo AND Ridley, I'd kill for this.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Found a video of the leaked gameplay that hasn't been taken down yet.
There's a couple weird things I noticed. In the victory screen, why does Lucina hold that same pose without moving a muscle while Shulk moves around? Also, why does the camera only zoom in on Shulk even though he was on a team with Lucina? The guy wasn't even playing as Shulk, so why is all the focus just on him? Seems rather odd.

Sonallvegqu

Smash Cadet
It looks like Krystal from Star Fox and Isaac from Golden Sun won't ever get their moment to be playable. I'm still hoping for Mewtwo.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You're joking, right? Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have the star power to hold a roster spot on their own, like Charizard can. I like them too, but you know it.
Also, Wolf and Lucas ARE NOT CLONES. Nor are they over-representation. If Kid Icarus can have three characters, then there is no way in hell Star Fox doesn't deserve three.
Squirtle and Ivysaur are far, FAR more iconic to Nintendo than Wolf and Lucas. Sorry, that is point blank.

As to clone- no, technically, none are clones, clones involve DNA, which obviously digital data does not have.
The word clone is an analogy. This is why they ARE clones.
-a clone is of the same DNA, it is not the SAME ENTITY
-This means it would have different memories, life experiences, etc.
-The traits are more akin to specials, the potential; whereas the movesets, the way they fight, are akin to memories.

They are clones.

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Guys...what if this whole leak...is a set-up by Sakurai? As shown in the Direct, he's a huge troll, right? Him and his team have the resources to make original renders, and since Sakurai works for Nintendo, could all of the gameplay footage and screenshots be fabricated and made by the team to throw the community off, and Sakurai told Nintendo to remove these videos, therefore making him able to troll the entire world itself? Or is just I'm super tired, what with it being 12:15AM and I just got back from watching a 2 hour, 45 minute movie?

's probably the latter.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Squirtle and Ivysaur are far, FAR more iconic to Nintendo than Wolf and Lucas. Sorry, that is point blank.

As to clone- no, technically, none are clones, clones involve DNA, which obviously digital data does not have.
The word clone is an analogy. This is why they ARE clones.
-a clone is of the same DNA, it is not the SAME ENTITY
-This means it would have different memories, life experiences, etc.
-The traits are more akin to specials, the potential; whereas the movesets, the way they fight, are akin to memories.

They are clones.
So what? You know who else is far, FAR more iconic than Squirtle and Ivysaur? CHARIZARD. And guess what, he's already in.
Don't be a smart-ass. Wolf and Lucas are unique, no matter how much you and however many others try to claim they are not, it does not make it the case.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So what? You know who else is far, FAR more iconic than Squirtle and Ivysaur? CHARIZARD. And guess what, he's already in.
Don't be a smart-***. Wolf and Lucas are unique, no matter how much you and however many others try to claim they are not, it does not make it the case.
Pikachu is more iconic than Charizard, yet Charizard is in. Why would Charizard being more iconic mean Squirtle nor Ivysaur are inherently cut?
I'm not being a smartass, I'm just making completely fair points that you cannot seem to refute, simply asserting instead swearing and "Yeah But I'm right so, shut up."
I'm not claiming anything that is not true, bub. That seems to bug ya.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom