• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be fair DK has gone through many games without that certain villain.
I wouldn't consider two games to be many. Even then there was a relatively big outcry for him to appear in those two games, which shows that people actually care about the character.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I wouldn't consider two games to be many. Even then there was a relatively big outcry for him to appear in those two games, which shows that people actually care about the character.
Everywhere I look I find K. Rool supporters, so maaaaaybe a ton of people haven't forgotten about him, like many people here try to make us believe. K. Rool is alive!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Everywhere I look I find K. Rool supporters, so maaaaaybe a ton of people haven't forgotten about him, like many people here try to make us believe. K. Rool is alive!
I heard the complaints about the lack of Kremlings as soon as DKC:R was released, and unless Smash speculation is going on or I'm actually buying said game (didn't buy DKC:R) I'm usually not that in touch with Nintendo stuff, so I think it says quite a bit.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
K Rool is one of the most requested characters worldwide, and the only true villain in the DKC series. Even his trophies in Melee and Brawl addressed his massive popularity.

He wasn't in the last two games, but other than that, hes a prime choice for a DK rep. He might make an appearance in the next DKC game (considering Retro didn't want to ride the coattails of what RARE did with DKC and K Rool, they wanted to do their own thing. Now that they have proved they can make great games, not that they needed to, I could see them using K Rool again, maybe.)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Some people should really calm down a little in terms of that leak....

In terms of DK characters, I'd love to see K. Rool too.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
No it isn't, if Sakurai hasn't said it's impossible, then it isn't impossible. And he hasn't.
Can we just leave it at that it is pretty darn unlikely? I mean impossible is just an exaggeration but you get the point.
I don't see the point in arguing semantics over something we all pretty much agree with (especially because both of you are Sonic fans).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
To be fair DK has gone through many games without that certain villain.
See and throughout that whole discussion I assumed it was Mario you guys were taking about :troll:

I mean he does kinda fall into that as well when no names are named. We'll I guess he still opposes dk in the mini games to an extent.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not in my experience. That said, DKCR and TF aren't really the only games.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Sakurai has indeed said it, but in a different way just as soon as he even revealed Sonic just by saying he's a guest.
You aren't going to win this argument.

No it isn't, if Sakurai hasn't said it's impossible, then it isn't impossible. And he hasn't.
And neither are you

Both of you, save yourselves the bother and just move on. Neither of you are even remotely swaying the other.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

So anyway, costumes! My best bud would really love to see Protoman in this game, and I don't think making him Megaman's alt would be so hard. The idea of making a major character into a costume for another major character never sat well with me, but if Mr. Sakurai was almost willing to make Lucina into a Marth costume then I'll go with it. Any objections?

saggernaut724

Smash Rookie
NNID
sagwinsl
3DS FC
4785-6664-3260

So anyway, costumes! My best bud would really love to see Protoman in this game, and I don't think making him Megaman's alt would be so hard. The idea of making a major character into a costume for another major character never sat well with me, but if Mr. Sakurai was almost willing to make Lucina into a Marth costume then I'll go with it. Any objections?
Technically, Lucina was Marth. The only things setting her apart were Parallel Falchion and her mask.

As for Megaman, he has a red and white skin already, and, while I would love to see a Protoman alt, I don't see more than the red and white skin happening.

Edit: I meant to say that that was probably one of the reasons that Sakurai was going to make Lucina a Marth alt.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Oh yeah, one more game: Jungle Beat. Only thing is, the only Donkey Kong character in that game was Donkey Kong, so that doesn't even count.
Why doesnt it count? Id say it does since it was recognized by sakurai with a stage in brawl. DK is the most important thing in his series, just because it doesnt contain country elements doesnt make it any less important. EAD did a fantastic job with jungle beat, and they wanted to try their own take at it without past elements.

Not saying absences would keep him from coming back, but DK can and will survive if he is still gone

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Why doesnt it count? Id say it does since it was recognized by sakurai with a stage in brawl. DK is the most important thing in his series, just because it doesnt contain country elements doesnt make it any less important. EAD did a fantastic job with jungle beat, and they wanted to try their own take at it without past elements.
I meant that the fact that K. Rool wasn't in it doesn't mean anything since no other DKC character besides Donkey Kong was in it. He alone wasn't excluded for whatever reason.

deebeethedeity

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1306-6746-5618

Not saying absences would keep him from coming back, but DK can and will survive if he is still gone
so can mario with bowser . doesn't make it excusable or justifiable though

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Do you guys think we will at least get to see another character reveal (veteran) before the Japanese's 3DS release date?
Absolutely. I'm thinking it will be Shulk due to his popularity in Japan. If not him, then some veteran. Either way, it's what everyone is wanting to see at this point for various reasons. =]

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'm certain Wario will be revealed before the release. I mean, Meta Knight just got revealed recently (a fellow Brawl newcomer)..and Wario really isn't a surprise character at this point at all. He's quite expected.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Do you guys think we will at least get to see another character reveal (veteran) before the Japanese's 3DS release date?
We still have Wario, Ice Climbers, and Lucas to reveal who were starters in Brawl and Ness who was a starter in Melee and might be promoted to starter again. After that we have a realistic chance of another Nintendo or Smash direct for a Newcomer/Snake reveal and I feel we have a good chance at two or even three characters being revealed before release.

Niala

Smash Ace
We still have Wario, Ice Climbers, and Lucas to reveal who were starters in Brawl and Ness who was a starter in Melee and might be promoted to starter again. After that we have a realistic chance of another Nintendo or Smash direct for a Newcomer/Snake reveal and I feel we have a good chance at two or even three characters being revealed before release.
It's funny you use the word promote. I, personally, see it as a demotion, it had never occurred to me that other people might see it differently.

I'm hoping we see quite a few more characters revealed soon, and I'm still holding hope for a direct, but that hope is slowly dwindling to nothing. Every passing day shortens the time-span more significantly than the previous, after all. We've also gotten a lot of really good information lately, so I'm excited about what the next few weeks will bring regardless of character reveals.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
As far as King K.rool goes since I haven't put in my dollars about him & what my opinion is on his inclusion here's to that:

Recognized through any cameo appearance in the Super Smash Brothers games, he's become a trophy in Melee, & then returns as another trophy in Brawl, with only one SSE sticker of himself. At least he's been given a thought as something since the 21st century & that fans have wanted him in Smash for a very long time. I would like to see him playable, that'd be fan****ingtastic to know about his confirmed presence & unlock one of the 'BIG 3'. On the other hand, only being a trophy twice & as a sticker, I feel there's a strong possibility he's a AT. It would be a better inclusion cameo than just as a trophy again for the 3rd time. Main villains apart of their series have become AT's already so I can see it go either way. K.Rool for SSB4 & 5.:shades:

Last edited:

John Storm

Smash Rookie
Hoping for a character reveal tonight! Anything to either confirm or disconfirm the leak. Please Sakurai :(

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Oh yeah, one more game: Jungle Beat. Only thing is, the only Donkey Kong character in that game was Donkey Kong, so that doesn't even count.
See, actually, that's the thing. It's not just the villain, DK can even do without Diddy. He's a character that can completely stand on his own.

Retro also did the opposite of Rare and gave DK ALL the spotlight in Returns and Tropical Freeze, instead of all the side characters getting it while DK himself gets the shaft. He feels oddly separate from the rest of the DKC crew. Even in the spin offs you often see him alone unless he needs a partner. Wario at least has Waluigi in the spin offs, a character who was created for the sole purpose of giving Wario a partner in these spin offs.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel like that may be going a bit too far.
Eh, it depends.

Honestly, I like DK a lot, but that's a combination of both DKC and the arcade games, the latter where not even Diddy appeared. Seeing DK without Diddy isn't really an odd thing for me compared to Mario without Luigi.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
See, actually, that's the thing. It's not just the villain, DK can even do without Diddy. He's a character that can completely stand on his own.

Retro also did the opposite of Rare and gave DK ALL the spotlight in Returns and Tropical Freeze, instead of all the side characters getting it while DK himself gets the shaft. He feels oddly separate from the rest of the DKC crew. Even in the spin offs you often see him alone unless he needs a partner. Wario at least has Waluigi in the spin offs, a character who was created for the sole purpose of giving Wario a partner in these spin offs.
Mario can stand on his own too. Quit acting like Mario without Peach or Luigi or Bowser would cause the universe to explode. Have you played the Mario Land games? Mario can do without Luigi, Peach, and Bowser just fine. I always saw DK as a guest character in the spinoffs since he's not originally a Mario character, which Wario is.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mario can stand on his own too. Quit acting like Mario without Peach or Luigi or Bowser would cause the universe to explode. Have you played the Mario Land games? Mario can do without Luigi, Peach, and Bowser just fine.
Acting what? I think you're misinterpreting what I said.

It's not a big deal, just sharing what I think. I'm a big fan of the arcade games and my favorite Mario spin offs often have DK alone. Moreover, on the Rare side of things, DKC2 is the only one I really like and actually replay often, but DK seldom appears there. In Returns and Tropical Freeze, he has all the spotlight, and in Jungle Beat it's ~ONLY~ him. It's not hard to imagine why I feel DK is separate from the rest of the DKC character, and it also doesn't help that he and the DKC characters were designed by completely different people. (Granted DK himself got a redesign to fit in lol)

In my case, I don't have much of an attachment with other DK characters as I do with DK. Cranky is cool though after Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Mario can stand on his own too. Quit acting like Mario without Peach or Luigi or Bowser would cause the universe to explode. Have you played the Mario Land games? Mario can do without Luigi, Peach, and Bowser just fine.
To be fair, most main protagonists can "stand on their own," it is not necessarily a wise decision, but it is certainly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom