• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Acting what? I think you're misinterpreting what I said.

It's not a big deal, just sharing what I think. I'm a big fan of the arcade games and my favorite Mario spin offs often have DK alone. Moreover, on the Rare side of things, DKC2 is the only one I really like and actually replay often, but DK seldom appears there. In Returns and Tropical Freeze, he has all the spotlight, and in Jungle Beat it's ~ONLY~ him. It's not hard to imagine why I feel DK is separate from the rest of the DKC character, and it also doesn't help that he and the DKC characters were designed by completely different people. (Granted DK himself got a redesign to fit in lol)

In my case, I don't have much of an attachment with other DK characters as I do with DK. Cranky is cool though after Tropical Freeze.
It's hard to imagine for me. I never could wrap my head around DK appearing alone in Jungle Beat or Kremlings not appearing in Returns. It still feels so wrong to me.

To be fair, most main protagonists can "stand on their own," it is not necessarily a wise decision, but it is certainly possible.
That was my point. There's no reason to single out DK's ability to stand alone when anyone can do it.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
On the topic of protagonists going alone, Didn't Fox like going alone on missions too? Could of sworn it was from that DeathBattle fight. . .

But yeah I'm sure every protagonist can fight alone. Fox especially can without Falco. So the moral of the story is,
Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies, closer

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The funny thing is as a huge F-Zero fan seeing Captain Falcon without all the other pilots feels so odd to me, even in Smash.

But maybe it's because Captain Falcon is like the least interesting pilot in the series. (GX redeemed him though. Dem cutscenes.)

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
The funny thing is as a huge F-Zero fan seeing Captain Falcon without all the other pilots feels so odd to me, even in Smash.

But maybe it's because Captain Falcon is like the least interesting pilot in the series. (GX redeemed him though. Dem cutscenes.)
The F-Zero subbed anime would like a word with you.
We can look forward to his fellow pilots as trophies again no worries.:denzel:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

It's not a big deal, just sharing what I think. I'm a big fan of the arcade games and my favorite Mario spin offs often have DK alone. Moreover, on the Rare side of things, DKC2 is the only one I really like and actually replay often, but DK seldom appears there. In Returns and Tropical Freeze, he has all the spotlight, and in Jungle Beat it's ~ONLY~ him. It's not hard to imagine why I feel DK is separate from the rest of the DKC character, and it also doesn't help that he and the DKC characters were designed by completely different people. (Granted DK himself got a redesign to fit in lol)

In my case, I don't have much of an attachment with other DK characters as I do with DK. Cranky is cool though after Tropical Freeze.
Personally, I felt it was poetic justice in a sense that DK was the only playable character in Returns since Retro were in a way atoning for how shafted he was in the 2nd and 3rd games.

Zynux

Smash Lord

I can understand and somewhat relate, even if I support Dixie and K. Rool's inclusion into Smash (even though I don't find it terribly likely) since my first real exposure to DK is the Arcade and DK'94, and I'm the type of fan whom seems to prefer DK in a bit more villainous light then not (the first Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, for example). Then I got into DKC with Returns and DKC2 and such.

Yes, Donkey Kong can stand on his own. Hell, he doesn't seem to need Diddy, Dixie or K. Rool. But, as others have said, just because DK may not need those characters doesn't mean I find it a wise decision to keep them excluded, especially since K. Rool still somehow keeps his popularity despite his last appearance being a mediocre Baseball game.

I know things aren't looking too good for the King Krock, but in my subjective opinion I still find him to be one of the last legit "All-stars" Nintendo has. So, even though I don't expect it, I would still like him to be in this game.

I heard the complaints about the lack of Kremlings as soon as DKC:R was released, and unless Smash speculation is going on or I'm actually buying said game (didn't buy DKC:R) I'm usually not that in touch with Nintendo stuff, so I think it says quite a bit.
Even when I wasn't a fan of DKC, had no nostalgia for it, and generally didn't care about the revival with Returns, I too clearly saw the firestorm when news broke out that the Kremlings were being excluded. I actually was legitimately shocked and confused by it too, because even though I didn't care for DKC at the time even I knew how popular the Kremlings and K. Rool were.

It was also pretty sad to see the straw-grasping and hope for maybe Frederick being K. Rool in disguise in DKCTF lol. I really hope Retrostudios gives the old Crocodiles a spin in a future installment.

Personally, I felt it was poetic justice in a sense that DK was the only playable character in Returns since Retro were in a way atoning for how shafted he was in the 2nd and 3rd games.
To be fair, DK is still the worst Kong if you play Co-Op in Returns or Hard Mode in Tropical Freeze, where there's no reason to use him unless you want to make the game harder for you. But yeah, I understand your point though. I never understood why Rareware made DK a Damsel in Distress in DKC2 & DKC3, so I am glad that the newer series makes DK much more essential to the game.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I am not sure I understand, why is Wolf comparable to Ike?

I agree... but also Ganon... and Dark Pit. Okay, fine. Clearly I still care!
Ike hasn't starred in a game since a year before Brawl came out, and people like to use recency as an argument. Personally, I like Ike, and am glad he's back, but his importance to Fire Emblem is fleeting compared to Wolf's importance to Star Fox.

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Actually, Ike was in FE: Awakening DLC IIRC. Though I'm not an aficionado on Fire Emblem, so maybe I'm wrong.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Actually, Ike was in FE: Awakening DLC IIRC. Though I'm not an aficionado on Fire Emblem, so maybe I'm wrong.
He was:
EDIT: High-def ZOOOOOM

This. Wolf should be no where near the chopping block when characters like Ike and Toon Link are safe.
If Toon Link can get back in, I think that every other character from Brawl should be relatively safe (except for you two :ivysaur::squirtle:)
(and maybe snake but let's not talk about that)

If Lucas gets cut when Toon Link is allowed to stay, I will do something violent that will haunt me later.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
But he didn't star in Awakening. He starred in a few DLC chapters. Big difference. Also his appearance is VASTLY different, whereas here he uses his Radiant Dawn look.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Wolf is way more important to starfox than Ike is to fire emblem Wolf has been there since the first game while Ike has appeared in 2 or 3 games so there is no excuse in the world for Wolf to be under the bus or near the axe however you want to look at it if Ike can return Wolf can damn sure return and I believe with all my heart he will return.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion the characters that are most likely to go are Lucas and Snake.

The Mother series, sadly, is probably never going to be revived. Mother 3 (and Lucas) were important in Brawl due to being released only a year or two before, but now I just fail to understand his relevancy. One could make this argument with other characters (like Ike just a few posts ago), but the difference there is that series like Fire Emblem are still very relevant and going strong. Not to mention the fact that Lucas is very similar to Ness in gameplay...if Sakurai's going to scrap any more characters, it's gonna be him. Ness is safe because he's been representing Mother since 64.

A bit off topic for this thread, but said reasoning makes me wonder whether or not there will even be a new Mother stage...well, F-zero and Ice Climbers have been dead for longer and they both got new stages in Brawl, so we probably will.

Snake is just...well, we already have friggin' three third party reps in and no sign of Snake anywhere. Pretty sure I had other reasoning in the past but I forgot what that was. I just don't see it happening, though I'd say he's definitely more likely than Lucas.

I guess every other character is probs safe, save maybe Ice Climbers and ROB.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Wolf is way more important to starfox than Ike is to fire emblem Wolf has been there since the first game while Ike has appeared in 2 or 3 games so there is no excuse in the world for Wolf to be under the bus or near the axe however you want to look at it if Ike can return Wolf can damn sure return and I believe with all my heart he will return.
I agree with this sentiment to an extent; however, importance to the series is not the only factor Sakurai must consider regarding character selections. It is not as simple as "Toon Link was confirmed, so now we are not going to get any cuts!"

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Welcome to SmashBoards @ ♦ Neosquid ♦ ♦ Neosquid ♦ :shades:

But unconfirmed characters going off their own reasons & their back-stories / relevancy, Jigglypuff is still here so, yeah. Wolf is more of an anti-hero / rival to Fox, seeing Andross is mainly the antagonist we all know of, & he's an AT. I see no reason to cut Wolf for any said reasons, it all depends on what Sakurai will do. So Lucas & Wolf are still in the red.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I agree with this sentiment to an extent; however, importance to the series is not the only factor Sakurai must consider regarding character selections. It is not as simple as "Toon Link was confirmed, so now we are not going to get any cuts!"
Sure. I know he looks at uniqueness, which Wolf has, and I believe he also said he wanted fairer series representation for this game.
Wolf is popular, in Star Fox and in Smash Bros. Maybe not as popular as Falco, but he did have a 7-year head start. Wolf should have been in Melee, and Sakurai seems to like him. There is no reason he shouldn't be in this one.

mark welford

Smash Ace

But unconfirmed characters going off their own reasons & their back-stories / relevancy, Jigglypuff is still here so, yeah. Wolf is more of an anti-hero / rival to Fox, seeing Andross is mainly the antagonist we all know of, & he's an AT. I see no reason to cut Wolf for any said reasons, it all depends on what Sakurai will do. So Lucas & Wolf are still in the red.
well after all sakurai did say Wolf is his favorite starfox character plus he plays a very big role in starfox so there are actually no reasons for Wolf to be cut.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice

Thanks.

I wonder how long Sakurai's been aware of Star Fox U's existence? If he's known for a while, I kinda doubt he'd cut Wolf now. But who knows. If said game was already released I'd have more faith in Wolf's chances, but as it is now I suppose my Lucas logic can apply to him too.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Thanks.

I wonder how long Sakurai's been aware of Star Fox U's existence? If he's known for a while, I kinda doubt he'd cut Wolf now. But who knows. If said game was already released I'd have more faith in Wolf's chances, but as it is now I suppose my Lucas logic can apply to him too.
what logic would that be? I'm curious now please explain also I am pretty sure sakurai is well aware of star fox wii u after all miyamoto has been trying to get it made for past few years.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
what logic would that be? I'm curious now please explain.
In my opinion the characters that are most likely to go are Lucas and Snake.

The Mother series, sadly, is probably never going to be revived. Mother 3 (and Lucas) were important in Brawl due to being released only a year or two before, but now I just fail to understand his relevancy. One could make this argument with other characters (like Ike just a few posts ago), but the difference there is that series like Fire Emblem are still very relevant and going strong. Not to mention the fact that Lucas is very similar to Ness in gameplay...if Sakurai's going to scrap any more characters, it's gonna be him. Ness is safe because he's been representing Mother since 64.

A bit off topic for this thread, but said reasoning makes me wonder whether or not there will even be a new Mother stage...well, F-zero and Ice Climbers have been dead for longer and they both got new stages in Brawl, so we probably will.

Snake is just...well, we already have friggin' three third party reps in and no sign of Snake anywhere. Pretty sure I had other reasoning in the past but I forgot what that was. I just don't see it happening, though I'd say he's definitely more likely than Lucas.

I guess every other character is probs safe, save maybe Ice Climbers and ROB.

well after all sakurai did say Wolf is his favorite starfox character plus he plays a very big role in starfox so there are actually no reasons for Wolf to be cut.
Could you please provide a source on that?

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Thanks.

Miyamoto supposedly has been trying to get it made for 7 years, it's doubtful Sakurai wouldn't know. He may have included all three characters to keep Star Fox in the public eye. Also, even if Wolf is cut here, Sakurai knows about Star Fox Wii U now, so there's always the possibility of DLC. Wolf could be used to promote Star Fox U.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
While Wolf's probably more iconic to his series than Ike is to FE, I don't remember Wolf being that important in the grand scheme of things, at least pre-Assault. And I certainly don't remember him being in the original Star Fox for the SNES. That being said, if FE can get 4 reps then Star Fox certainly deserves to keep the three it already has.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
While Wolf's probably more iconic to his series than Ike is to FE, I don't remember Wolf being that important in the grand scheme of things, at least pre-Assault. And I certainly don't remember him being in the original Star Fox for the SNES. That being said, if FE can get 4 reps then Star Fox certainly deserves to keep the three it already has.
Wolf didn't appear until Star Fox 64, though he was in the unreleased Star Fox 2.
Relevant to this entire conversation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36929662&postcount=5080

Niala

Smash Ace
But he didn't star in Awakening. He starred in a few DLC chapters. Big difference. Also his appearance is VASTLY different, whereas here he uses his Radiant Dawn look.
Not that I disagree with the point you're making (Wolf should return if non-essential characters already have,) but I do think you need to judge Fire Emblem representation differently than other series. In fact, the only series it shares quite a few similarities with is Pokemon, although with one notably large difference: they both have a massive cast of new characters with each game (even Fire Emblem's sequels have incredibly few returning characters [except radiant dawn,]) the difference being Pokemon's characters don't retire with the end of their story, they're recycled through newer editions. That puts Ike in a similar position to somebody like Charizard/Jigglypuff. None of them have been the star of a game for quite some time, but they're important parts of the history of each series, and have earned their spot in the past. Keeping them relevant is impossible given the nature of the games they come from, and they need to be judged differently from other characters.

For those reasons, I don't think Wolf and Ike are very good comparisons-- they're in different situations. Wolf has been around for a lot longer, certainly, and has remained mostly relevant throughout the series as a villain/rival. But his series has the capacity to give him that luxury, whereas Ike's does not.

I hope I explained my point well enough. :)

This. Wolf should be no where near the chopping block when characters like Ike and Toon Link are safe.
Toon Link, however, can go suck on a railroad spike.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
this might be a little off topic but did anyone know there is a 12 day Simpsons marathon going on all 552 episodes being shown back to back to back 24 hour etc..... but anyways wolf I think without a shadow of a doubt is here to stay no matter a leak or anything

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Thanks.

Yeah, here's the thing; Star Fox U is just starting development from what I've gathered, though I could be wrong, since outside of some things like Project Guard, there isn't a whole lot of Star Fox U shown. No official gameplay, storyline, no nothing. The farthest Sakurai has gone is Pokemon X/Y which was in development for 3.5 years, according to this source, which at that time Sakurai has already been at the very least starting development for Smash. But Wolf I believe has a great chance (but I have no proof there :3).

Toon Link, however, can go suck on a railroad spike.
I would make an argument over how awesome Toon Link is, but it's 1:00 AM, and I'm about to go to bed soon. Ya got lucky!

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Well damndify, if Wolf was pretty much planned to be in SSB64, then the debate of him being cut for SSB4 & 5 is not plausible. Hell 2 StarFox characters planned to be in Smash64 kinda makes me feel Krystal has a shot of being #4 easily.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well damndify, if Wolf was pretty much planned to be in SSB64, then the debate of him being cut for SSB4 & 5 is not plausible. Hell 2 StarFox characters planned to be in Smash64 kinda makes me feel Krystal has a shot of being #4 easily.
The debate is still plausible, there is even precedent to support that Wolf might be removed... Mewtwo. :troll:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Thing is with Wolf, if not all characters are unlocked then that just makes Wolf a bit more safer since he was the last character to be unlocked in Brawl if you're going by matches played. And since he's less of a clone than Falco he should be safe regardless of that leak. (I'm on #TeamFake anyways of course)

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The comparison doesn't work too well here, though. Star Fox is a series with recurring characters in every game (to my knowledge), Fire Emblem gives every cast of characters one or two games and then moves onto an entirely new cast. Discounting remakes, Marth himself only actually appears in two games, the most recent of which was on SNES. Tiki is the only story-significant character to appear in more than two games (Marth's games and Awakening), but her role is always supporting.

Comparatively, Ike is actually one of the most relevant/important Fire Emblem characters, possibly the next-most behind Marth. The two of them are the only ones who have actually been the lead character of more than one game.

I don't really know how relevant Wolf is to his series, but I wanted to point that out.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Wolf has even less reason to be removed than Mewtwo did.
People use the fact that Wolf was apparently the last character implemented in Brawl, but we all know he would have been in sooner if SEGA hadn't authorized the use of Sonic so damn late in development. Meaning the development team worked double-time to get him in. If Sakurai's wanted him in since Smash64, then even if he's cut from the initial roster here, I don't see him being gone permanently.

Course, maybe I'm just trying to rationalize things. Sakurai's made some stupid decisions before.

mark welford

Smash Ace
that should be proof of sakurai's love for Wolf if he wanted him in since day 1.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Because past characters is a pretty popular topic atm, here's all of the past veterans in a list compiled by first appearance.

:jigglypuff::ness2:
:ganondorf::popo::falco::gw::mewtwopm::roypm::drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee:
:squirtle::ivysaur::snake::rob::warioc::wolf::lucas:

Now, this is how I think that these characters chances are to get back in. (higher up, more likely)

:jigglypuff::ness2::ganondorf::gw::warioc:
:popo::falco::wolf::mewtwopm::rob:
:snake::lucas:
:squirtle::ivysaur::roypm::drmario::pichumelee::younglinkmelee:

:jigglypuff: = She's been here since the beginning. She would have been gone by now if Sakurai wanted to cut her.
:ness2: = There will be riots if he's not back in. Plus, we have Mr. Saturn back, so I think Ness is safe. Also, original 12.
:ganondorf: = We need a Zelda villain, and he has the Triforce of Power. Having only 2/3 of the Triforce wielders in Smash would feel odd.
:gw: = Pac-Man Trailer.
:warioc: = His logo is back, two assist trophies, one legitimate leak, what else is there to say?

:popo: = This would've been 100%, but that leak has kind of crushed some of my hopes, so...
:falco: = He's a semi-clone. But with Toon Link in, we know that clones aren't out of the picture.
:wolf: = He's a quadri-clone, with importance to the series. Also, ^
:mewtwopm: = He's a clone. :denzel:
:rob: = I don't see any reason why he would get the axe. He's unique and original, but not super popular.

:snake: = As much as I would like to see him return, it just feels unlikely at this point. Kojima says it's probably not happening and Sakurai has been silent the entire time. However, we are dealing with gaming's biggest trolls here.
:lucas: = The lack of Mother anything in this game makes it seem unlikely. With Mother being one of Nintendo's rotting franchises, having 2 reps just seems like overkill. (but i still love you Lucas)

:squirtle: = :4charizard:
:ivysaur: = :4charizard:
:roypm: = We have our Marth clone already. :4lucina:
:drmario: = An alt at best. :4mario:
:younglinkmelee: = :4tlink:
:pichumelee: = Nope.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Because past characters is a pretty popular topic atm, here's all of the past veterans in a list compiled by first appearance.

:jigglypuff::ness2:
:ganondorf::popo::falco::gw::mewtwopm::roypm::drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee:
:squirtle::ivysaur::snake::rob::warioc::wolf::lucas:

Now, this is how I think that these characters chances are to get back in. (higher up, more likely)

:jigglypuff::ness2::ganondorf::gw::warioc:
:popo::falco::wolf::mewtwopm::rob:
:snake::lucas:
:squirtle::ivysaur::roypm::drmario::pichumelee::younglinkmelee:

:jigglypuff: = She's been here since the beginning. She would have been gone by now if Sakurai wanted to cut her.
:ness2: = There will be riots if he's not back in. Plus, we have Mr. Saturn back, so I think Ness is safe. Also, original 12.
:ganondorf: = We need a Zelda villain, and he has the Triforce of Power. Having only 2/3 of the Triforce wielders in Smash would feel odd.
:gw: = Pac-Man Trailer.
:warioc: = His logo is back, two assist trophies, one legitimate leak, what else is there to say?

:popo: = This would've been 100%, but that leak has kind of crushed some of my hopes, so...
:falco: = He's a semi-clone. But with Toon Link in, we know that clones aren't out of the picture.
:wolf: = He's a quadri-clone, with importance to the series. Also, ^
:mewtwopm: = He's a clone. :denzel:
:rob: = I don't see any reason why he would get the axe. He's unique and original, but not super popular.

:snake: = As much as I would like to see him return, it just feels unlikely at this point. Kojima says it's probably not happening and Sakurai has been silent the entire time. However, we are dealing with gaming's biggest trolls here.
:lucas: = The lack of Mother anything in this game makes it seem unlikely. With Mother being one of Nintendo's rotting franchises, having 2 reps just seems like overkill. (but i still love you Lucas)

:squirtle: = :4charizard:
:ivysaur: = :4charizard:
:roypm: = We have our Marth clone already. :4lucina:
:drmario: = An alt at best. :4mario:
:younglinkmelee: = :4tlink:
:pichumelee: = Nope.
very agreeable in terms

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I would make an argument over how awesome Toon Link is, but it's 1:00 AM, and I'm about to go to bed soon. Ya got lucky!
That's alright, I'll do it for you.

I've been getting real tired of the hate Toon Link has been receiving on this forum, especially these last few days following Ghirahim's disconfirmation. Why do people complain so much about Toon Link's presence on the roster? Has the character not earned the right to be playable in Smash? Consider this. Toon Links art style takes up about a third of the Zelda franchise. In a series with an ever changing visual take in almost every installment, it's pretty impressive that Nintendo seems to stick with this one the most. Wind Waker was a revolutionary title that not only was a fantastic video game, but it taught gamers an important lesson. A lesson that when people bring up, they'll more than likely refer to Wind Waker as the basis for the argument. The fact that this game has been remade for the Wii U alone makes Toon Link worthy of representing more of the Zelda franchise in Smash, not to mention the five other games that share the same art style. Toon Link is here to not only represent a huge chunk of Zelda, but also a very important game in Nintendo's history.

If Toon Link hypothetically taking the spot of another Zelda representative is your problem against the character, then there needs to be a better understanding of how they pick characters from Zelda to represent it. You know who Toon Link is taking a slot away from? Absolutely nobody. Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, and Ghirahim. Toon Link isn't taking any of their slots. Those characters were likely never even considered to be playable in Smash. You know why? In a franchise with more than a dozen entries, they aren't present enough in the franchise as a whole for the developer's to deem any of them worthy of representing a series as big as Zelda. If they were, then they would have slots right along side Toon Link's. I realize that this may not be what you want to hear, but the same thing happens to many franchises in Smash. It's why we don't have Prince Fluff, Kiddy Kong, and a random Space Pirate on the roster. The fact of the matter is Toon Link has earned and completely deserves his slot as a playable character in Smash. He stars in many entries in the franchise, and above that he represents the child incarnation of Link; the incarnation that most Zelda games use. He represents one of the most beloved games in history, and for that he is very recognizable. I know that my argument won't nullify all the hate that Toon Link gets, but you guys should at least understand why he's playable while others from his franchise aren't. You should especially know that he isn't taking the rights of any character to become playable. That much is certain.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The point is it would be a REALLY bad marketing move if they don't do a Smash Direct before the game launches in Japan. Not only because it would serve as the final boost to increase sales but also to keep us Western customers hyped, perhaps by announcing a highly-requested character here in the West. You know who I mean.

If there's no Smash Direct (which, again, would be a BAD move), we'll get a normal Direct. And those always come with a newcomer trailer anyways, so it's a win/win situation.
They'd probably want us Western customers to be hyped for the remaining month, so they should focus on giving us what we want. Of course, they should give the Japanese audience a highly requested character too, but they shouldn't forget about us.

There's enough time in a single Direct to satisfy both audiences.
This doesn't seem to make any sense to me. The bad marketing move would be to throw in a years worth of ingenius marketing at the last minute, as if there were no strategy involve in it in the first place. We could definitely have a 3DS direct at this time, but I would b no means say it is a given- we have seen a lot of information about the game at this point, and another direct could easily make the game seem bland and repetitive i they do not have more to show, and I doubt they have too much more to show. What is left would be for the actual game to give away.
The directs are for gamers more than consumers as a whole base, and most gamers are already aware they are going to buy the game (or, that they are not). Another direct won't really boost sales, rather, general marketing to the public would.

This goes for hyping western/eastern trailers. I understand you likely believe that all reveals will happen before the game, but then I've got to question that- because it seems to avocate shoing two reveals instead of however many, instead of.... a secret character, perhaps? That is, show an additional character instead of a secret? Instead of post release? INstead of what?

I'm unsure, but either way, it is rather a response of 'give us all of it now,' rather than playing it out as it has been done, with an increasing build and waving ebb of information.

Ether way, I see it absolutely not happening. Patience.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
@ Scamper52596 Scamper52596 I dig your counter to the argument, or rather, your debate against the topic at hand of others involving Toon Link's criticism for clones being allowed in the Smash rosters (I didn't notice much hate of TL from this forum, yet I may have ignored it). But I can't resist saying this as well:
You know who Toon Link is taking a slot away from? Absolutely nobody.
:younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::
:younglinkmelee::younglinkmelee::troll:
But the joke aside you go on to say that those characters: Skull Kid, Midna, Tingle, and Ghirahim. You say these characters were likely never considered? I wouldn't go against it fully with the doubt I have to question that, yet to say they were not considered at all isn't plausible, when they were considered to be in the game at least as AssistTrophies.

Other than that I agreed with all of your post.:shades:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom