• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's true... though I think if we were to get a Mario clone there's a good chance the Doc would show up again. Sakurai likes his jingle. :p:smirk:

But I don't think that's gonna be happening.
I would say we'd get doc as an alternate costume this time around, but if we were going to, why didn't we in Brawl? It wouldn't have been difficult. I think it's Sakurai's thoughts with Lucina - he'd give Doc different properties to keep him true to melee, then he'd have to have a separate slot, but he doesn't want to give doc a separate slot so we just don't get doc.

idk I don't hold communion with the beast often enough to understand its thoughts

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's silliness. I'd much rather have a separate character who would differ more from the original character and actually plays a fairly notable, recurring role in the series than a second Mario with a lab coat.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
So if there is a Paper Mario character in Smash, would you rather it was Mario himself, or one of his many friends (or enemies)?

I imagine most simply want Paper Mario himself as he is quite charming on his own, plus any other character would have very limited moveset potential, I would imagine.
But if we did get a different character, I'd go with Dimentio.

Hint: It's this guy.
I would be cool with Dimentio but my first pick would be Count Bleck.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Eh. I still think Doc is a really silly idea for a separate character that works better as an alt costume .

That being said, I'm not a fan of Bowser Jr. Either. I might sound like a major hater but I think I'd prefer Mario just not get another rep than either of those guys as clones lol

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
You guys like my new roster? Not too many changes from the last one.

I just cut Rhythm Wrestler for Paper Mario, Jigglypuff for Sceptile, and Bandanna Dee for Isaac.

Dark Pit and Dixie are last-minute characters in the same vein as Lucina.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I just cut Rhythm Wrestler for Paper Mario, Jigglypuff for Sceptile, and Bandanna Dee for Isaac.
Here are my problems with it

Sceptile over jiggly - I hate it, and doubt it.
Dark Pit - no
Paper Mario - doubt it
Vaait - doubt it
Snake - I hope so, but doubt it.
4 DK reps - we might get another Robin lucian with K.rool dixie, which is honestly the best possible situation for the DK franchise, but It might be wishful thinking
Plus it has 57 characters which is probably too high.

But I'll give you points for Ridley : )
Also, Bandanna Dee wasn't going to happen, the cut for Isaac was a good choice.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Oh my God, Paper Mario, Vaati, King K. Rool, and Sceptile over Jigglypuff. Take my money.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

The more the merrier. But personally replace Jiggs back. Also Rhythm Wrestler and Paper Mario can co exist.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I see three major problems with this:

- Dark Pit.
- Sceptile over Jigglypuff is not going to happen. That would be like replacing Captain Falcon with Captain Rainbow.
- Also, Dark Pit.

Last edited:

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if we were getting bowser jr. That they wouldn't have changed bowser so much and made bowser jr a bit more like bowser is now

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman

Dark Pit. Why?
I'm mixed on Vaati's inclusion. I can live without another Zelda newcomer especially if it truly means one less "slot". I would give it to the obligatory Retro Revival newcomer. Nice bonus I guess. Personally I would give that "slot" to another franchise
Jigglypuff getting cut over Sceptile will never happen, let alone if Sceptile is in this game.
How why are the chances that Snake will return in the starting roster?
While I do support Paper Mario, I don't think he is likely to make it.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Expects no one will reply to this. (someone do plz)
View attachment 19819
If this was the final roster, how would you feel?
Very meh about Black Shadow, Dark Pit, Paper Mario and Ghirahim, but I get Ridley with the added bonus of K. Rool and Sceptile so I'd still be extremely satisfied. 60 characters is way overkill though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is there anything logical to support that utterly arbitrary sentiment that blatantly disregards precedent?
Verily, the veracity of my assertion exemplifies precedent, it hardly constitutes an inherent antithesis. Should you be acclimated to what Sakurai latterly promulgated, you would be cognizant to the verity of a diminutive quantity of supplementary additions to be evinced in this iteration. With that in mind, what has been hitherto is an incremental paradigm of admission should the individual be classified more aptly under adjunct than indispensable, which, based on comparative magnitude of the extent peers populating the playable selection, is the sole instance of manifold inclusions, of course barring the additions of mere facsimiles, of which my claim denotes and works congruently in making allowance for. It is unmistakably evident that the Mario series now invariably rests in the rank of the aforementioned former, not the latter. So clearly my sentiment reflects both what is inveterately habitual as well as conceding to the recent addendum outlined by Sakurai.

Duh.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I honestly dont think we are getting anymore mario characters, its possible but with many of the trailers bunching up the multiple characters from that universe i dont think they would give special treatment to ones such as bowser jr or paper mario by giving them their own trailer.

I thought we were past hoping for any more mario characters at this point? One stage goes and throws us back into the mix lol

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Verily, the veracity of my assertion exemplifies precedent, it hardly constitutes an inherent antithesis. Should you be acclimated to what Sakurai latterly promulgated, you would be cognizant to the verity of a diminutive quantity of supplementary additions to be evinced in this iteration. With that in mind, what has been hitherto is an incremental paradigm of admission should the individual be classified more aptly under adjunct than indispensable, which, based on comparative magnitude of the extent peers populating the playable selection, is the sole instance of manifold original inclusions, of course barring the additions of mere facsimiles, of which my claim denotes and works congruently in making allowance for. It is unmistakably evident that the Mario series now invariably rests in the rank of the aforementioned former, not the latter. So clearly my sentiment reflects both what is inveterately habitual as well as conceding to the recent addendum outlined by Sakurai.

Duh.
...I understood that. Hooray for context clues!

In Morbid's defense, that first did make sense. I just had to read it a few times because my mind goes a mile a minute.

Anyway... why did Scatman get more critiques? The heck?

Burruni

Smash Hero
You think if Bowser Jr were playable he'd be about drop kicks and super armor?
I feel like if Bowser Jr. was made a fighter, he would have his father's Fire Breath and Ground Pound when it comes to specials, but just that. His up special could easily be painting a small path that he can run along, or the Koopa Kid Klown Kar working like Snake's recovery. Side special? Why not have it be a bullet bill launcher, since he is commonly seen piloting mechs or airships. They could share a number of tilts, jabs, and maybe the aerials. Dash attack could be simply ducking into his shell and sliding a short distance. Final Smash could be either Mecha Bowser firing artillery and what not onto the stage, or piloting the Koopa Kid Klown Kar dropping/throwing live bob-ombs (acting similar to Yoshi's "Dragon form"). He is the Mario character I'd like to see for a 6th Mario Slot, but I don't see there being one in this game.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

In Morbid's defense, that first did make sense. I just had to read it a few times because my mind goes a mile a minute.

Anyway... why did Scatman get more critiques? The heck?
His was more controversial, everyone had to tell him they hated dark pit. (except morbid xD)

I feel like is Bowser Jr. was made a fighter, he would have his father's Fire Breath and Ground Pound when it comes to specials, but just that. His up special could easily be painting a small path that he can run along, or the Koopa Kid Klown Kar working like Snake's recovery. Side special? Why not have it be a bullet bill launcher, since he is commonly seen piloting mechs or airships. They could share a number of tilts, jabs, and maybe the aerials. Dash attack could be simply ducking into his shell and sliding a short distance. Final Smash could be either Mecha Bowser firing artillery and what not onto the stage, or piloting the Koopa Kid Klown Kar dropping/throwing live bob-ombs (acting similar to Yoshi's "Dragon form"). He is the Mario character I'd like to see for a 6th Mario Slot, but I don't see there being one in this game.
I mean I just hate him as a character. After too many continuous hours of being screwed by him in Mario Party, I have mental scars and a vendetta that runs deep. But I agree he's one of the few Mario characters that stood out before Rosalina was announced, and had some chance. I also agree that he could both have a very unique moveset, but that we probably won't get another Mario rep.

Unfortunately, there is no escaping Mr. Sakurai's wild ride, and with this Paper Mario stage shown, Mario rep discussion is back on the forefront of everyone's minds, haha. At least it's something slightly more pleasant than yesterdays PotD

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

What? That's consistently the diction in which I employ. :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
There's a few people who do want to see him. However, I feel that Dark Pit can be made unique (or a semi-clone, whatever), I just don't particularly see the appeal of it.
Anyone can be made a unique character. You could make young link, doc, even dark link completely different. I just don't want two Pit's Mario's Link's or anything, lol. (yes, I am a toon link hater xD )

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
There's a few people who do want to see him. However, I feel that Dark Pit can be made unique (or a semi-clone, whatever), I just don't particularly see the appeal of it.
I've heard there are other weapons from Uprising he could use so I believe it, however Pit is personally my least favorite Nintendo character, and combine that with the fact I don't even think Blood Falcon should ever be his own character even though Captain Falcon is one of my favorites, and the result is Dark Pit being my most loathed character they could possibly add.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Anyone can be made a unique character. You could make young link, doc, even dark link completely different. I just don't want two Pit's Mario's Link's or anything, lol. (yes, I am a toon link hater xD )
I did mean he has the capabilities to be completely different from Pit with all the different weapons in the game. Much like Toon Link.... okay, whatever.

I just meant they won't have difficultly coming up with a moveset since there's many weapons and abilities in Uprising for them to draw on.

Also, Toon Link hater? I guess you join Louie in my "lost friends" group. Lose two in one day.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I did mean he has the capabilities to be completely different from Pit with all the different weapons in the game. Much like Toon Link.... okay, whatever.

I just meant they won't have difficultly coming up with a moveset since there's many weapons and abilities in Uprising for them to draw on.

Also, Toon Link hater? I guess you join Louie in my "lost friends" group. Lose two in one day.
I knew that's what you meant, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was disagreeing there. Reading back I can see how it sounded like it, though.

And to be more precise, I only hate on characters before they're playable. I was one of the fools who saw conductor Link and thought TL was deconfirmed. TL's announcement surprised me, but I have warmed up to it. My view is if it's in the game, may as well learn to like it, because it isn't going anywhere. I think the only thing that could legitimately make me salty is Ridley as a stage boss - I'd probably never play on non FD pyrosphere lol.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Verily, the veracity of my assertion exemplifies precedent, it hardly constitutes an inherent antithesis. Should you be acclimated to what Sakurai latterly promulgated, you would be cognizant to the verity of a diminutive quantity of supplementary additions to be evinced in this iteration. With that in mind, what has been hitherto is an incremental paradigm of admission should the individual be classified more aptly under adjunct than indispensable, which, based on comparative magnitude of the extent peers populating the playable selection, is the sole instance of manifold inclusions, of course barring the additions of mere facsimiles, of which my claim denotes and works congruently in making allowance for. It is unmistakably evident that the Mario series now invariably rests in the rank of the aforementioned former, not the latter. So clearly my sentiment reflects both what is inveterately habitual as well as conceding to the recent addendum outlined by Sakurai.

Duh.
To an extent, perhaps; however, the notion makes the prospect negligible as there IS an "antithetical" precedent. One where Dr. Mario is a fifth clone (whereas we have five representatives currently, over a decade later), and another where the fifth character was indeed a clone (thereby insinuating that in order to maintain another character, they must be a clone). I believe that this objectively and directly contests such, I suppose it was my erroneous proclamation regarding precedent that led us to this dispute, I should not have added that to the statement. However, that does not drastically alter the that the sentiment is entirely arbitrary based on empirical observations.

No offense, but you did not use some of those words properly (or at least in the traditional sense). It was slightly difficult to discern what you meant.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I knew that's what you meant, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was disagreeing there. Reading back I can see how it sounded like it, though.

And to be more precise, I only hate on characters before they're playable. I was one of the fools who saw conductor Link and thought TL was deconfirmed. TL's announcement surprised me, but I have warmed up to it. My view is if it's in the game, may as well learn to like it, because it isn't going anywhere. I think the only thing that could legitimately make me salty is Ridley as a stage boss - I'd probably never play on non FD pyrosphere lol.
Naw, we good. I wasn't ticked off by the Dark Pit thing, so no worries.

And nice save for the Toon Link. Damn right he earned it (though I understand the bitterness from some people).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I've heard there are other weapons from Uprising he could use so I believe it, however Pit is personally my least favorite Nintendo character, and combine that with the fact I don't even think Blood Falcon should ever be his own character even though Captain Falcon is one of my favorites, and the result is Dark Pit being my most loathed character they could possibly add.
i dont want him either, sure like any character he could be made unique but hes really nothing more then a pallette swap that was given a larger role in KI. He could remain just a color and still serve the same purpose, which is why i think if he were added they wouldnt have missed the opportunity in palutenas trailer.

Dark versions of characters have never really been something i cared for, in fact i dislike it. Its cliche, its overused, and they are easily the most shallow characters in any game.

The only video game doppelganger character that succeeds IMO is Wario, he is far more then mario's evil shadow. He has his own personality, motivations, quirks, and hes become so much more then the angsty likes of pit or dark link could ever be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom