• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Regardless of critical reception, I doubt a game with like two million in sales would be thought of or treated as a mistake by Nintendo.

They are still a business.
Well they did recognize that in a lot of way Skyward Sword, a game that sold roughly 4 million copies, was a failure (no overworld, no extra quests, long tutorials, boring intros, boring world design), so I wouldn't rule it out. On top of that, Intelligent Games is very critical of their own work.
Sonic Generations though.

And Sonic Heroes was great and successful. And Sega won't stop referencing it in everything really.
SEGA refuses to sell those games. While it's weird Heroes was put in there (it's an okay game; too many glitches though), it's what they did.

If they reallllly wanted to eliminate mediocre games though, they'd eliminate 3D Blast. That game is quite possibly worse than Sonic '06. It's an abomination that needs to be forgotten (except as a joke), lol.
We get it, you don't like that stage, you've said that twice now.
No, just the fact that there's Stupid Star in it.

And it's not just that the game IMO sucks, it's that it might destroy the series.

Regardless, I hope that if Paper Mario IS playable that Stupid Star has no bearing on him.

He's got enough great moves from the 1st 3 games (specifically 1st 2) to rely on. However, this stage more feels like a "primer" for Paper Mario, in the same way Smashville was a "primer" for the Villager.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Sonic Generations though.

And Sonic Heroes was great and successful. And Sega won't stop referencing it in everything really.

We get it, you don't like that stage, you've said that twice now.
that is because out of the 2000s and 2010s other than SADX or SA2B sonic heroes was one of their greatest titles of the 2000s and sega I feel has been putting some pretty good sonic titles as of recent I really liked Sonic colors and Sonic unleashed

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Even if Paper Mario isn't playable. I got my wish, which was simply more Paper Mario content. A character would be fantastic though and I think this brought some hope into some of us supporters.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I was sick of Sceptile the first time he was mentioned as a Smash candidate. The roster was decided 2 years ago too late and all of a sudden when a Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire remake is confirmed, they start throwing the guy in rosters as if Smash Wii U and 3DS was just announced.
ORAS is a remake, so it's probably been planned for awhile. So there's logic behind it. Also we have an incomplete starter trio.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Tell me more of the future Mr. Prophet. Is Ridley playable?
you are not getting my point what I said because I obviously need to put in more simple for you is that in some roster they have jigglypuff's place taken by sceptile and what I am saying is that sceptile is not going to replace jigglypuff that is what I was saying if you would of read between the lines and not always the fine print

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
you are not getting my point what I said because I obviously need to put in more simple for you is that in some roster they have jigglypuff's place taken by sceptile and what I am saying is that sceptile is not going to replace jigglypuff you simpleton
This. If Jigglypuff gets cut, it will be due to time constraints, not "oh hey let's replace Jigglypuff."

mark welford

Smash Ace
*SIGH* must I say it again it not going to happen there would be no time constraint problem because all they would have to do is port its moves and model from brawl and just HD the model and TA DA! You got jigglypuff
This. If Jigglypuff gets cut, it will be due to time constraints, not "oh hey let's replace Jigglypuff."

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Maybe they'll cut her because she isn't important to the franchise anymore. Not that I actually think she's going anywhere, I just think people often underestimate Sceptile's chances and this frustrates me.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Maybe they'll cut her because she isn't important to the franchise anymore. Not that I actually think she's going anywhere, I just think people often underestimate Sceptile's chances and this frustrates me.
dude sceptile is not getting in over one of the original 12

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
Believe me, if they were going to cut her because she's "unimportant," they would have done it back in Brawl.
*SIGH* must I say it again it not going to happen there would be no time constraint problem because all they would have to do is port its moves and model from brawl and just HD the model and TA DA! You got jigglypuff
What makes you so sure they'll do it this time? if they were just going to be lazy and port all the data, there wouldn't be any cuts.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Believe me, if they were going to cut her because she's "unimportant," they would have done it back in Brawl.

What makes you so sure they'll do it this time? if they were just going to be lazy and port all the data, there wouldn't be any cuts.
later you will have salt on your fries mark my words (no pun intended)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, Sceptile isn't terribly important to the franchise either. Sure, ORAS, but he's not the most popular starter from it and neither is he front and center on anything relating to it, I don't feel like a starter trinity theory is enough to justify that. Don't get me wrong though, if we get both I'll have the party of a life-time, Sceptile is one of my favorite Pokémon and Jiggs is already one of my mains.

mark welford

Smash Ace
What does that even mean in this context? well way to completely avoid my reply.
what im saying is you will be salty and there will be no time constraint problem and jigglypuff will be confirmed sooner or later so I didn't try to dodge your question if I wanted to do that I would logoff and finish watching medabots

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
what im saying is you will be salty and there will be no time constraint problem and jigglypuff will be confirmed sooner or later so I didn't try to dodge your question if I wanted to do that I would logoff and finish watching medabots
Why would a Jigglypuff fan like myself be salty over her reveal? Just because I'm accepting the possibility of her getting cut, doesn't mean I don't want her. Yes I'm very confident in her chances, but would I bet on her? nothing big.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Eh, Sceptile isn't terribly important to the franchise either. Sure, ORAS, but he's not the most popular starter from it and neither is he front and center on anything relating to it, I don't feel like a starter trinity theory is enough to justify that. Don't get me wrong though, if we get both I'll have the party of a life-time, Sceptile is one of my favorite Pokémon and Jiggs is already one of my mains.
Well, he did get a shiny new mega + dragon typing. I disagree about the importance thing, all of the starters are fairly important I feel.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Why would a Jigglypuff fan like myself be salty over her reveal? Just because I'm accepting the possibility of her getting cut, doesn't mean I don't want her.[/quits
its possibility is not a possibility it is a impossibility that is just like saying bowser or samus is going to get cut which is not going to happen

Last edited:

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
exactly do you understand my point? I hope you do
Umm, no, I don't, you just compared two confirmed characters to an unconfirmed one and acted like they were on the same ground. Maybe I misunderstood you because of your English, but you are currently not making sense.

mark welford

Smash Ace
how am I not making sense? Ok I will explain one last time and if you don't understand me I am done and I will leave the subject at hand alone. Cutting jiggs would be like cutting samus or bowser which is not right
Umm, no, I don't, you just compared two confirmed characters to an unconfirmed one and acted like they were on the same ground. Maybe I misunderstood you because of your English, but you are currently not making sense.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
how am I not making sense? Ok I will explain one last time and if you don't understand me I am done and I will leave the subject at hand alone. Cutting jiggs would be like cutting samus or bowser which is not right
Oh I see what you mean now. Anyway, I disagree to an extent, while it wouldn't be right Jigglypuff, she's still not on the same level as Samus, a series protagonist and Bowser, a main villain.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
12 more newcomers

1. Captain Toad
  2. King K. Rool
  3. Dixie Kong
  4. Chorus Men
  5. Shulk
  6. Ridley
  7. Impa
  8. Takamaru
  9. Inkling
  10. Mach Rider
  11. Krystal
  12. Chibi-Robo
I'd be pretty happy if those were the remaining newcomers (including DLC)
12, eh?

1. Captain Toad
  2. Dixie Kong
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Duck Hunt Dog
  5. Vaati or Impa
  6. Isaac
  7. Ridley
  8. Chibi-Robo
  9. Paper Mario or Bowser Jr.
  10. Inkling
Never happening in a billion years but of the 'not completely disconfirmed yet' options that'd be my dozen pick.

(Love the Smash Ball Loading symbol we get now; great touch)

Was bummed about the Paper Mario Stage being Super Star related until we saw the Thousand Year Door make a triumphant cameo. Beautiful.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm getting a little irritated that the 3DS already has four Mario stages, and the Wii U only has two... maybe they'll put the Paper Mario one on Wii U too since it has TTYD on it.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It might go both ways, but it's clear in which way it leans. And not counting third-parties, so far it leans unanimously in one direction as far as the newcomers go.

Rosalina might be from a seven-year-old game, but her largest impact happened post-Brawl. Not to mention she's only had a handful of titles with a notable appearance compared to other characters in the Mario series, and was less popular.

Little Mac might be an old character, but he probably wouldn't end up playable this time without the Wii title.

Villager still uses a design from a post-Brawl title, even if not the most recent. Same with Marth and Ike.

The Zelda aesthetics you're correct on, but the content still favours the new.

I don't see how one can attribute recency not having played a factor in the roster choices when there are literally no Nintendo characters so far that didn't have an impact since the last Smash, a first for the series.
Villager and Miis did not have this impact everyone else had since Brawl. I'm not counting FE and Pokemon due to the fact that those games change their cast every single installment and it is at the company's (Intelligent and Game Freak) and Sakurai's expense to add new additions from the forver revolving cast. I'm am not counting Palutena either, just because her popularity (like other characters, Little Mac) was argubaly the biggest factor in her inclusion.
I stated that recency plays a factor in this game and including the roster, but not a major one as people claim.
I find it intriguing how people will bring up the recency arguement regarding King K Rool as if he's not one of the most requested newcomers for Smash 4 and just some obscure character because Retro decided to use their original characters in their two takes on DKC(Similar to Gannondorf's absence in recent Zelda titles) and just assume that Tropical Freeze will get representation. Dixe's main reasonig to be included in the roster can't just be for recency, since we haven't had a clue if the recent game she returned in (she's actually not a recent character and did not make a impact, she's still really popular) is even referenced in this game, and some of her suporters are implying that she will get over King K Rool for the sole reason of recency despite the latter having a lot more going for him .It also looks bad on Dixie supporters, since we're stating Dixie has little going for her EXCEPT recency, being her only real pro if she even is included, let along if Sakurai will include both characters.
Does that mean Anthony Higgins will get in over Ridley just because of recency? Will Mathew will get in before his father Issac? Some Xenoblade Chronicles X character before Shulk?
Now I'm not saying that recency has no influence in the roster, becasue it does, but they're many more contrubuting facotrs as well. Including popularity among fans worldwide. Assuming that there will be only DK newcomer which I also doubt, the only adavntage Dixie Kong has over King K Rool is recency. (Being female doesn't really count as a factor in my opinion, since the female newcomers had much more going for them.)But that's it, every other contributing factor either KKR excels in or is tied with Dixie. We can't act as though Tropical Freeze is already in the game and that automatically confirms Dixie Kong, since she has more going for her than just recency and if it is not in this game, it would look like her chances will tremendously drop when in reality they won't. We may see a new Donkey Kong stage this week considering how much info we have gotten so far.
We can just agree to disagree, I don't want this to go on forever.

Last edited:

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Well, Blaze is out due to Charizard. Why not keep Mewtwo?
It'd fill out all the basic elements.
Don't forget, the Non mega evolved Charizard is also a Flying type, and one of Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions makes it a part fighting type. I would also imagine that Sceptile's Final Smash would also involve it evolving into his Mega Evolution form, adding another part Dragon type.

So the types covered with these seven Pokemon would be
Electric
Fire
Flying
Dragon (Mega Evolution/ Final Smash) x2
Normal
Fairy
Psychic
Fighting (One normal state, one Final Smash State)
Grass
Steel
Water
Dark

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Don't forget, the Non mega evolved Charizard is also a Flying type, and one of Mewtwo's Mega Evolutions makes it a part fighting type. I would also imagine that Sceptile's Final Smash would also involve it evolving into his Mega Evolution form, adding another part Dragon type.

So the types covered with these seven Pokemon would be
Electric
Fire
Flying
Dragon (Mega Evolution/ Final Smash) x2
Normal
Fairy
Psychic
Fighting (One normal state, one Final Smash State)
Grass
Steel
Water
Dark
Well, this particular typing is based on the trading card game, from where I found the source.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I think Sceptile has chances somewhere in the middle, on the one hand he is a grass starter and getting a remake (though whether or not this was made aware to sakurai before the roster finalization remains to be seen), and he's relatively popular, but that didn't get Blaziken into Brawl so who knows. I don't see it replacing jigs, but I can see him making it in over mewtwo possibly, that last spot/if there even is a last spot is all up in the air

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Why would they represent the types of the trading card game only? The only time, when typing collides really is through their Mega Evolution/ Final Smash.
shrug
To represent Pokemon with as few representatives as possible? We can't very well have unique Pokemon reps to represent ice, ghost, bug, etc.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Wow, Takamaru represented by an assist trophy.

Paper Mario represented by a changing stage across the series.

Update those rosters people, characters be dying. :troll:

My 12:
1. Ghirahim
2. Ridley
3. King K Rool
4. Shulk
5. Rhythm Heaven Rep
6. Bandana Dee
7. Mewtwo
8. Dixie (clone) dlc
9. Sceptile dlc
9. Captain toad dlc