• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So many new rosters lately, but after today's update I really wanted to do this.
Paper Mario Roster.png

Nothing too out of the ordinary, but Paper Mario is back on my roster. At long last, I can bring back one of my most wanted and most loved potential newcomers.

Now I know what you may be thinking. "DUHRR LOUIE G YOU BANDWAGONER. YOU ONLY THINK PAPER MARIO IS LIKELY BECAUSE OF THE NEW STAGE." Well it certainly helps Paper Mario's case, but that isn't all that's going in his favor. Here's my thought process as to why I find Paper Mario a little more likely than before.

1. The Stage
Obviously the new stage brought Paper Mario back into my radar, and if we're going by past evidence (such as the Boxing Ring and Mario Galaxy) it's common for a character's home stage to be revealed prior to the character's reveal; foreshadowing, if you will. Most stages Smash 4 are home stages for specific characters or, if not, representative of a character's franchise. Oddly enough, Sakurai referred to this stage as "the first Paper Mario stage". Sakurai referred to Paper Mario as a separate franchise, interestingly. In addition, the stage doesn't just represent the most current game in the series, Paper Mario Sticker Star, but also TTYD, which makes this stage representative of the series in general rather than just one game. I don't know, it just seems like the perfect home stage for Paper Mario, whether he represents Mario or Paper Mario.

2. Originality
Paper Mario is exploding with potential, and I'm positive that if Sakurai seriously considered Paper Mario at some point that he would realize how much could be done with the character. Attacks based on RPG-like timing, partners, shape shifting into different forms, stylish moves, etc. There's so much that Paper Mario has to offer and I believe that he lines up perfectly with what Sakurai is looking for in newcomers this time around.

3. Relevance/"Recency"
"BOOOOO..."
Ah shut up. Relevance and "recency" do have an effect on the roster, no matter what you guys want to believe. It makes Sakurai fully aware of characters after looking at recent releases. Every newcomer thus far lines up with the past generation or the present generation of Nintendo consoles (for example, Wii Fit, Punch Out!!, Animal Crossing, and Kid Icarus all have newcomers to represent their growth between Brawl and Smash 4). With Sakurai looking at the Wii/DS/3DS, Paper Mario shows up twice; Super Paper Mario, and Sticker Star. Sticker Star's release is right around the time that Sakurai was deciding the roster for Smash 4, so I'd be surprised if Paper Mario didn't at least come up in a character discussion.

So I personally think Paper Mario is a pretty good bet.

I also cut Dark Pit from last time, but that isn't for the reasons many of you brought up, it's because of this.

At the top left corner, it says "Boss HP: 100.00" in Japanese. With the way Dark Pit was teased in Palutena's trailer, I personally find him to be the most likely boss on the stage. It could very well be Medusa, Hades, Chaos Kin, or somebody completely different, but I think Dark Pit will happen. At least I was right that he's not an alternate costume.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Dis gun be good.

Did Paper Mario get a stage to represent the series? (Just as some series get represented by stages or ATs.) Or is it forshadowing for Paper Mario the new challenger? (Just like rosalina, little Mac)

Debate!:bluejump:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Dis gun be good.

Did Paper Mario get a stage to represent the series? (Just as some series get represented by stages or ATs.) Or is it forshadowing for Paper Mario the new challenger? (Just like rosalina, little Mac)

Debate!:bluejump:
Now I know what you may be thinking. "DUHRR LOUIE G YOU BANDWAGONER. YOU ONLY THINK PAPER MARIO IS LIKELY BECAUSE OF THE NEW STAGE." Well it certainly helps Paper Mario's case, but that isn't all that's going in his favor. Here's my thought process as to why I find Paper Mario a little more likely than before.
1. The Stage
Obviously the new stage brought Paper Mario back into my radar, and if we're going by past evidence (such as the Boxing Ring and Mario Galaxy) it's common for a character's home stage to be revealed prior to the character's reveal; foreshadowing, if you will. Most stages Smash 4 are home stages for specific characters or, if not, representative of a character's franchise. Oddly enough, Sakurai referred to this stage as "the first Paper Mario stage". Sakurai referred to Paper Mario as a separate franchise, interestingly. In addition, the stage doesn't just represent the most current game in the series, Paper Mario Sticker Star, but also TTYD, which makes this stage representative of the series in general rather than just one game. I don't know, it just seems like the perfect home stage for Paper Mario, whether he represents Mario or Paper Mario.
2. Originality
Paper Mario is exploding with potential, and I'm positive that if Sakurai seriously considered Paper Mario at some point that he would realize how much could be done with the character. Attacks based on RPG-like timing, partners, shape shifting into different forms, stylish moves, etc. There's so much that Paper Mario has to offer and I believe that he lines up perfectly with what Sakurai is looking for in newcomers this time around.
3. Relevance/"Recency"
"BOOOOO..."
Ah shut up. Relevance and "recency" do have an effect on the roster, no matter what you guys want to believe. It makes Sakurai fully aware of characters after looking at recent releases. Every newcomer thus far lines up with the past generation or the present generation of Nintendo consoles (for example, Wii Fit, Punch Out!!, Animal Crossing, and Kid Icarus all have newcomers to represent their growth between Brawl and Smash 4). With Sakurai looking at the Wii/DS/3DS, Paper Mario shows up twice; Super Paper Mario, and Sticker Star. Sticker Star's release is right around the time that Sakurai was deciding the roster for Smash 4, so I'd be surprised if Paper Mario didn't at least come up in a character discussion.
So I personally think Paper Mario is a pretty good bet.
So my answer is both.
Definitely some kind of foreshadowing if Papes is in the game, but clearly the stage represents the series either way.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So if there is a Paper Mario character in Smash, would you rather it was Mario himself, or one of his many friends (or enemies)?

I imagine most simply want Paper Mario himself as he is quite charming on his own, plus any other character would have very limited moveset potential, I would imagine.
But if we did get a different character, I'd go with Dimentio.

Hint: It's this guy.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So if there is a Paper Mario character in Smash, would you rather it was Mario himself, or one of his many friends (or enemies)?

I imagine most simply want Paper Mario himself as he is quite charming on his own, plus any other character would have very limited moveset potential, I would imagine.
I would definitely prefer Paper Mario himself.

It's not about moveset potential, it's that nobody else in the Paper Mario subseries stands out as a clear representative.
Other than Paper Mario, of course. Using his partners, timed hammer hits, stylish moves, and turning into other paper forms, etc.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would definitely prefer Paper Mario himself.
It's not about moveset potential, it's that nobody else in the Paper Mario subseries stands out as a clear representative.
Other than Paper Mario, of course. Using his partners, timed hammer hits, stylish moves, and turning into other paper forms, etc.
I just want Dimentio in case there's no Ghirahim because dammit I need at least ONE finger snappin' magician!

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, he did get a shiny new mega + dragon typing. I disagree about the importance thing, all of the starters are fairly important I feel.
The thing is though, he's not the only one who got it. Blaziken, Swampert, Metagross and more have gotten that treat, and Blaziken got it even earlier then him. Plus, that's ignoring XY's Megas, where Mewtwo easily beats out every Hoenn Pokémon currently. So the Mega thing isn't exactly a positive if most other Pokémon choices for Smash have gotten it anyway.

As for the starter thing, yes it's true that all of them are important to some extent, but when it comes to Smash, you need to be ahead of the pack like Charizard, Lucario and Mewtwo, and Sceptile isn't really there. He's always been the one who lagged behind and he can easily be overlooked, particularly when you consider how many options Pokémon has in general.

Well, Blaze is out due to Charizard. Why not keep Mewtwo?
It'd fill out all the basic elements.
Where did Sakurai ever imply that he'd not overlap with typing though?

Regardless, that's still assuming that typing matters that much, which we don't know will. Plus, with 18 types in the games now, using it just to get one more on the Smash cast isn't exactly the best point since we're not getting a Rock type or the like.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
The thing is though, he's not the only one who got it. Blaziken, Swampert, Metagross and more have gotten that treat, and Blaziken got it even earlier then him. Plus, that's ignoring XY's Megas, where Mewtwo easily beats out every Hoenn Pokémon currently. So the Mega thing isn't exactly a positive if most other Pokémon choices for the game have gotten it anyway.

As for the starter thing, yes it's true that all of them are important to some extent, but when it comes to Smash, you need to be ahead of the pack and Sceptile isn't really there. He's always been the one who lagged behind, whether it'd be Blaziken or Swampert, so he's not that important in the scheme of things.

Where did Sakurai ever imply that he'd not overlap with typing though?

Regardless, that's still assuming that typing matters that much, which we don't know will. Plus, with 18 types in the games now, using it just to get one more on the Smash cast isn't exactly the best point since we're not getting a Rock type or the like.
Typing mattered enough for Ivysaur to be a thing in Brawl. So maybe it will again.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Typing mattered enough for Ivysaur to be a thing in Brawl. So maybe it will again.
Maybe, but Ivysaur was also tied to what is easily the most popular starter trio and said mechanic was tied specifically to PT due to the idea of a trio. It's never mattered for any other character before or (at least as far as we know) after, and the trio mechanic has been kicked, so we don't know if it'll still exist in any capacity past Brawl. They can easily have not used it for the game and picked their characters separate of it, nothing says that it exists in this game and it can easily be ignored considering none of characters have had that as a reason for their inclusion.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

Hint: It's this guy.
Yeah, I would prefer Paper Mario to be in first. But if we saw a different character, my vote goes to this guy:

God only knows how he would work though.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd just have Paper Mario. There are a lot of interesting characters, but Paper Mario seems like the best first choice.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Maybe, but Ivysaur was also tied to what is easily the most popular starter trio and said mechanic was tied specifically to PT due to the idea of a trio. It's never mattered for any other character before or (at least as far as we know) after, and the trio mechanic has been kicked, so we don't know if it'll still exist in any capacity past Brawl. They can easily have not used it for the game and picked their characters separate of it, nothing says that it exists in this game and it can easily be ignored considering none of characters have had that as a reason for their inclusion.
True, but keep in mind that the starter trio is VERY important to Pokemon. I have no way of knowing whether Sakurai cares about balancing the trio but I can say that leaving out the grass type starter when the other two types are present would be an unkind thing to do too grass type fans.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Paper Mario becomes playable, I'm hoping his moveset is heavily based on his various partners and hammers. There's just so many to pick from it's ridiculous.

I know Blooper appears as a hazard on the S.S. Flavio, but I really hope Cortez and his ship appear in the background. Maybe shooting cannons as it passes.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I think sceptile makes sense as perfect dlc to represent the Pokemon series.

If he doesn't get in the normal way.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Koops, Goombario, Parakarry, and Lady Bow would be pretty nice to have in this game. But that's probably since I've only played through the first one, and it's my 2nd favorite game ever. I never did beat TTYD cause I stopped playing and got stuck because I didn't remember what to do. I'll restart it one day.

Hammer - Neutral Special
Parakarry Lift - Up Special
Koops Shell- Side Special
Lady Bow Hide - Down Special

Goombario and Goombella could share codecs.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Expects no one will reply to this. (someone do plz)
3DS Roster.png

If this was the final roster, how would you feel?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
View attachment 19819
Well, I see Paper Mario, King K. Rool, and Villager. Those are my top 3 so I'd be perfectly ok with this.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of Dark Pit as I'd rather see Medusa or Hades first. I'd replace Dark Pit with Bandana Dee, or possibly a Wario character.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
View attachment 19819
Well just a quick note on the organization, it's kind of confusing for the main character be on the left of the series for half of the roster, and then it switches to having them on the right. It's hard for me to read that way. Also, G&W should be grouped with R.O.B. and Ice Climbers since he's Retro, and maybe put WTF and Miis next to him cause those two, G&W, and R.O.B. are all Hardware.

I don't think Dark Pit, Dixie, and Sceptile will be in personally, but I do think Black Shadow and Paper Mario have a shot (even though its slim)

Burruni

Smash Hero
View attachment 19819
I feel the overall roster size is too large for being plausible, but I'll handle my points in the various areas.

I still do not see Paper Mario becoming a fighter because most of what people want in his moveset (Namely the partners) are over 10 years in the past and he'd still be a 6th Mario rep which is a bit of a push. I don't see DK going to 4 in this game, K.Rool bringing more to the table than Dixie. Zelda, like Mario, doesn't truly need a 6th rep in the span of this game (Both having the Iconic Hero, the better playable Hero, Main Princess, More Badass "Princess", and Main villain). With Sakurai trying to keep his character bias to a minimum (IE: Kirby not getting a 2nd rep until Brawl, at which point it got DDD and MK), I really don't see 3 KI:U characters even though I have made a few arguments of Dark Pit being an anti-clone, sharing aesthetics but not moves. Ridley I am adamantly against for reasons we have all disputed before. I don't see Pokemon going up to 7 reps pre-dlc, and truly hope Sceptile overtakes Mewtwo if/when we have a 6th. Kirby not getting a 4th when you gave DK 4 and KI:U 3... is inconsistent. Finally, F-Zero is not getting a second representative any time soon since the series has been dead for almost a decade (which Sakurai himself highlighted) and Captain Falcon, debatably, is more iconic as a Smash character than an F-Zero character at this point.

TL;DR: The size is larger than we should expect and there are unlikely expansions to previous franchises.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
7/17/2014

My Roster, I believe we are still getting Shulk but are getting Marshal instead of Chorus Men

Wii U, note, because I'm start I noticed that characters always appear in the same order on the roster so based on that, I got.

Wii U

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::substitute::4bowser::rosalina::4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::substitute::wario::4samus::4zss::substitute:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::substitute::4villager::substitute::substitute::4palutena::4pit::4dedede::metaknight::4kirby:
:4fox::falco::wolf::ness2::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinf::substitute::039::4lucario::4greninja::4charizard::4pikachu:
:GCStart::4olimar::substitute::4falcon::popo::4littlemac::4wiifit::rob::gw::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:/Random

Substitutes are unconfirmed newcomers, in order they appear, they are

Daisy (Clone but oh well and OH YEAH)
K Rool (I love royalty)
Ridley (Have you seen that second post in the Ridley thread?)
LORD Ghirahim (Trophy theory please)
Marshal (An Enemy in Smash Run so yeah)
Dark Pit (Like Daisy and Lucina, planed as costume but upgraded)
Shulk (Pretty cute)
Louie (Daisy, Lucina, Dark Pit)

Oh but theres MORE!

3DS Roster Time!

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::substitute::4bowser::rosalina:
:4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::substitute::warioc::rob:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::substitute:
:4samus::4zss::substitute::4pit::4palutena::substitute:
:4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinf::ness2::substitute:
:4kirby::metaknight::4dedede::popo::4littlemac::4falcon:
:4fox::falco::wolf::4olimar::substitute::substitute:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::039::4villager:
:gw::4wiifit::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:/Random

Substitute newcomers in order.

Daisy
K Rool
Ghirahim
Ridley
Dark Pit
Shulk
Louie
Marshal

Pretty Sweet and pretty realistic imo. OH YEAH!

7/18/2014

@8-bit Man , I like your roster, I've become very optimistic now! I'm thinking we might get a fusion of the two!

3DS
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4peach::4bowser::rosalina:
:4yoshi::4dk::4diddy::substitute::warioc::substitute:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::4link:
:4samus::4zss::142::4pit::4palutena::4pit:
:4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinf::ness2::lucas:
:4kirby::metaknight::4dedede::substitute::popo::4littlemac:
:4fox::falco::wolf::falcon::4olimar::4olimar:
:4pikachu::4charizard::4greninja::4lucario::039::4villager:
:4wiifit::substitute::gw::rob::substitute::4mii:
:GCStart::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::GCDpad::GCStart:

Wii U
....:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4yoshi::warioc::4dk::4diddy::substitute::4samus::4zss::substitute:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::ganondorf::4tlink::substitute::4villager::substitute::4palutena::4pit::4pit::substitute::4dedede::metaknight::4kirby:
:4fox::falco::wolf::4marth::4lucina::4myfriends::4robinf::substitute::lucas::ness2::039::4lucario::4greninja::4charizard::4pikachu:
....:4mii::4olimar::4olimar::4falcon::popo::4littlemac::4wiifit::substitute::rob::gw::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::GCDpad:

Newcomers

Clones: Daisy, Alph, Dark Pit.

Unique: K Rool, Ridley, Ghirahim, Marshal, Bandana Dee, Shulk, Satebo & Parabo guys 8-bit man has (Feel free to use this roster for your next rate that roster!)
I like that roster a lot, I'd just switch Daisy out, and Geno in ;D

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I still don't think the stage means anything for Paper Mario.

But I would like to see what they would do for him. But I'm still a Bowser Jr. fanboy.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still don't think the stage means anything for Paper Mario.

But I would like to see what they would do for him. But I'm still a Bowser Jr. fanboy.
To each their own, but I find Bowser Jr. painfully boring when compared to Paper Mario.

And pretty much as a character in general.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Other than Niala giving me feedback on my spelling mistake of "voila" (didn't even notice I spelled it as viola), I'm posting my roster again from yesterday as I do want feedback.
3DS Roster.png

If I had any other slots available, I would add Isaac or Ghirahim.

To each their own, but I find Bowser Jr. painfully boring when compared to Paper Mario.

And pretty much as a character in general.
...We're not friends anymore.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At least Bowser Jr could make for a pretty feasible semi-clone.

Which is probably the only way we'd get another Mario character at this point.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 19819
Many praises! Therefore I will be the one to comment that at a roster of this size, and still no new retro characters, I would not only be upset but question who took over Sakurai's brain, as he has stated he loves the old games and characters. I'd personally remove Dark Pit and Black Shadow for Lip and Duck Hunt Dog.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
At least Bowser Jr could make for a pretty feasible semi-clone.

Which is probably the only way we'd get another Mario character at this point.
I mean... they could make paper mario a mario clone.

it'd just be a huge waste, haha.

Other than Niala giving me feedback on my spelling mistake of "voila" (didn't even notice I spelled it as viola), I'm posting my roster again from yesterday as I do want feedback.
View attachment 19822

If I had any other slots available, I would add Isaac or Ghirahim.
Well, I love it for Ridley. I still kinda dislike chorus men/shulk, but understand why you put them. If I was doing a 52 character roster I'd probably replace them with Ray01/beast ganon, but more for want than actual prediction xD
I also prefer K.Rool to dixie, but I do see dixie as more likely. If I had a few more slots I'd love to include things like Isaac, Mach Rider, and Sukapon, but you can't win 'em all, haha.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean... they could make paper mario a mario clone.

it'd just be a huge waste, haha.
That's true... though I think if we were to get a Mario clone there's a good chance the Doc would show up again. Sakurai likes his jingle. :p:smirk:

But I don't think that's gonna be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom