• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Anyone can be made a unique character. You could make young link, doc, even dark link completely different. I just don't want two Pit's Mario's Link's or anything, lol. (yes, I am a toon link hater xD )
Depends on the source material. Young Link easily but Doc and Dark Link?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Naw, we good. I wasn't ticked off by the Dark Pit thing, so no worries.

And nice save for the Toon Link. Damn right he earned it (though I understand the bitterness from some people).
Eh, I wouldn't say I was bitter. I do think the toon games are important enough to earn representation. I just dislike the fact that there are two links. I'm not sure how I'd do it better.

It was slightly difficult to discern what you meant.

Depends on the source material. Young Link easily but Doc and Dark Link?
You don't need source material when you can make things up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dark Pit isn't "angsty".
Dark Pit isn't anything like a dark copy, either.

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh, I wouldn't say I was bitter. I do think the toon games are important enough to earn representation. I just dislike the fact that there are two links. I'm not sure how I'd do it better.

You don't need source material when you can make things up.
I am never able to detect a joke on the internet. It is too difficult.

Anyways, regarding Dark Pit, I would like to note that; objectively speaking, he has nothing definitive against his inclusion aside from the arbitrary sentiment that if he were playable, he would be on the website. Game & Watch entirely refutes this notion despite claims that his veteran status pertains as to why that might be. The one other notion that contests his inclusion is that he has the capacity to be a clone.

So I do not understand why people allude to him as though he is an impossible candidate. Well; I do, but it is not a very good reason.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I guess so, but it makes coming up with a moveset much easier.
Yeah, but it's still not impossible without material, which was the point I was trying to make. I mean, if I could take as much liberties with those characters as Sakurai took with Falcon, I could probably do interesting of special moves pretty quickly, and decent standard moves without too much more effort.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Dark Pit. Why?
He's under the same vein as Dixie and Lucina as a last minute character, but he'd probably be one of the first to go, along with Dixie, if I made any cuts.
I'm mixed on Vaati's inclusion. I can live without another Zelda newcomer especially if it truly means one less "slot". I would give it to the obligatory Retro Revival newcomer. Nice bonus I guess. Personally I would give that "slot" to another franchise
Vaati is our lord and savior. All hail Vaati.
Jigglypuff getting cut over Sceptile will never happen, let alone if Sceptile is in this game.
I've been debating with myself about which should be DLC, right now, Jiggly is winning the initial roster slot.
How why are the chances that Snake will return in the starting roster?
I just don't see anything too big going against him that wasn't against him in Brawl.
While I do support Paper Mario, I don't think he is likely to make it.
I've been looking for a good 6th Mario character for a while, and I didn't find Cpt. Toad very likely, so with the addition of a PM stage today, I figure his chance has rised enough to be on the roster.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To an extent, perhaps; however, the notion makes the prospect negligible as there IS an "antithetical" precedent. One where Dr. Mario is a fifth clone (whereas we have five representatives currently, over a decade later), and another where the fifth character was indeed a clone (thereby insinuating that in order to maintain another character, they must be a clone). I believe that this objectively and directly contests such, I suppose it was my erroneous proclamation regarding precedent that led us to this dispute, I should not have added that to the statement. However, that does not drastically alter the that the sentiment is entirely arbitrary based on empirical observations.
Huh?

No offense, but you did not use some of those words properly (or at least in the traditional sense). It was slightly difficult to discern what you meant.
I sincerely apologize if my sesquipedal verbiage proves difficult to discern for those with a more rudimentary of phraseology. ;D

Morbi

Scavenger
He's under the same vein as Dixie and Lucina as a last minute character, but he'd probably be one of the first to go, along with Dixie, if I made any cuts.

Vaati is our lord and savior. All hail Vaati.

I've been debating with myself about which should be DLC, right now, Jiggly is winning the initial roster slot.

I just don't see anything too big going against him that wasn't against him in Brawl.

I've been looking for a good 6th Mario character for a while, and I didn't find Cpt. Toad very likely, so with the addition of a PM stage today, I figure his chance has rised enough to be on the roster.
A long-standing veteran on the initial roster instead of the newcomer that is only included based on his typing for a remake that is not yet out? NO. Jigglypuff is better suited as DLC.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
It is interesting how we are interrupting today's PM pic of the day.

Some think it raises his chances while others think it lowered them.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Now now, enough of the fancy language. It's nice to have a prowess for vocabulary, but no one really cares how smart you sound: they only care if you agree with them (and yes, N3ON, I know you're joking).

D

Deleted member

So he didnt go against his creator as he pleased? And he didnt eventually come around as an anti hero while still acting like he didnt care?

Those all seem to fall in line with what most evil versions tend to end up as.
Last I checked, evil versions typically either obey their masters or prove to be Eviler Than Thou.
Not go on the path of neutrality then side with their good counterpart.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
A long-standing veteran on the initial roster instead of the newcomer that is only included based on his typing for a remake that is not yet out? NO. Jigglypuff is better suited as DLC.
Okay, thanks. Jigglypuff it is for DLC. :troll:

Anyway... why did Scatman get more critiques? The heck?
Because I'm controversal. :p

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I guess so, but it makes coming up with a moveset much easier.
Yeah, but it's still not impossible without material, which was the point I was trying to make. I mean, if I could take as much liberties with those characters as Sakurai took with Falcon, I could probably do interesting of special moves pretty quickly, and decent standard moves without too much more effort.

I am never able to detect a joke on the internet. It is too difficult.
The humor was more meant to imply that more often than not, the fact that you often defer to longer synonyms instead of words with more standard usage can dance the line between sounding smart, sounding elitist, and sounding downright silly.

The post initially quoted,

Is there anything logical to support that utterly arbitrary sentiment that blatantly disregards precedent?
is one of the silly ones. Good use of language isn't about lengthening speech, it's about making a thought as clear as possible. This post is a perfect example of roundabout diction, which doesn't even make your point clear. With that sentence, I don't even know if you're referring to the sentiment of Mario getting another rep, or Bowser Jr. being a feasible semi-clone.

In short - you don't have to use big words, it can make you difficult to understand and usually doesn't strengthen the actual content of your posts.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The problem I personally have with Dark Pit is that unlike Lucina or other potential clone candidates like Dixie he's just too similar to Pit. Not in personality, not in moveset potential (though I hope nobody thinks he'll be unique), but in his aesthetics and look. ****, Dr. Mario at least has a different attire than Mario, and Young Link at least has different proportions from Link, but Dark Pit looks exactly like Pit outside of his colors, I can't even figure out how they're going to make a Green Pit vs Green Dark Pit fight look anything but extremely confusing.

You can come up with many arguments how he could work as a clone, but as someone who isn't a KI:U fan and doesn't care about the franchise that combined with him being a guaranteed clone just about kills all of his appeal, it's literally having a palette swap as a seperate character because they can't even differentiate their models. Of course that doesn't stop Sakurai from including him as a seperate character, but I feel like a clone spot would be better used for almost any other character.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Now now, enough of the fancy language. It's nice to have a prowess for vocabulary, but no one really cares how smart you sound: they only care if you agree with them (and yes, N3ON, I know you're joking).
So... if N3ON is joking, is this not only directed at me, MorbidAltruism? Despite the notion that my diction has not altered (when I am speculating) for the period of my duration here on this site... honestly, if you feel as though this is a vein attempt to sound intelligent, you are quite incorrect as intelligence is not measured by one's vocabulary, this is precisely why we have thesauruses. Regardless, I wish to have my thoughts speak for themselves. I am not using any words that are uncommon and I spout the same phrases over and over again. However, this is off-topic, so I digress...

The humor was more meant to imply that more often than not, the fact that you often defer to longer synonyms instead of words with more standard usage can dance the line between sounding smart, sounding elitist, and sounding downright silly.

The post initially quoted,

is one of the silly ones. Good use of language isn't about lengthening speech, it's about making a thought as clear as possible. This post is a perfect example of roundabout diction, which doesn't even make your point clear. With that sentence, I don't even know if you're referring to the sentiment of Mario getting another rep, or Bowser Jr. being a feasible semi-clone.

In short - you don't have to use big words, it can make you difficult to understand and usually doesn't strengthen the actual content of your posts.
Oh great. So this is personally about others perceptions of myself? Please. I suppose that is what happens when you do not conform to standard colloquialisms.

I cannot find a way to make this on-topic to be honest. I am probably going to go and visit other threads where I can have fun. Feel free to infract me. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

I can't even figure out how they're going to make a Green Pit vs Green Dark Pit fight look anything but extremely confusing.
People still use this crock of an excuse?
Is it really that hard to tell between brown hair and white wings with a greenish tint and black hair with charcoal wings?
And seeing rings of light around Pit's arm and say "Oh, that's Pit", and not seeing the rings and say "Oh, that's Pittoo"?
And telling the difference between yellow and gray/silver blades?
etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh great. So this is personally about others perceptions of myself? Please. I suppose that is what happens when you do not conform to standard colloquialisms.

I cannot find a way to make this on-topic to be honest. I am probably going to go and visit other threads where I can have fun. Feel free to infract me. :rolleyes:
I'm not asking you to conform. I enjoy your posts, they generally keep me on my toes in terms of challenging my vocabulary, which I find fun. But you ragged on Neon for not using some funny vocab choices correctly, when you don't always as well. Basically, step up yo game, fool :p

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I honestly see Dark Pit going the Male WFT route and being an alt costume with a different voice actor, like Lucina was originally planned. He wouldn't need to worry about looking exactly like Pit for colored battles to be confusing.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh right! Pit2's wings would be black! i can't believe i didn't note that...

that's... actually a good point in an event where the wings of both characters always remained the same, color-wise.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What, are you colorblind?

Must be hard for you to tell who's Mario and who's Luigi with a zoomed out 3DS screen, eh?
No, I'm not colorblind, but thanks for the aggressive attitude.

No, because Luigi moves differently and has different proportions. One of the main complaints about the 3DS version in the demos is that people are actually getting lost while battling on more hectic stages like the Golden Plains, having a fight between Green Pit and Green Pit isn't going to help that one bit. Mind you I'm not using it as a counterargument to his inclusion as I don't doubt Sakurai's bias, but I still think it'd be very poor design. Some characters are best left as alternate costumes with a unique voice over and name, which is very possible to do, and Dark Pit is the prime example of one that should stay as that imo.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I honestly see Dark Pit going the Male WFT route and being an alt costume with a different voice actor, like Lucina was originally planned. He wouldn't need to worry about looking exactly like Pit for colored battles to be confusing.
That should really be the extent of it if they do anything with him

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
No, I'm not colorblind, but thanks for the aggressive attitude.

No, because Luigi moves differently and has different proportions. One of the main complaints about the 3DS version in the demos is that people are actually getting lost while battling on more hectic stages like the Golden Plains, having a fight between Green Pit and Green Pit isn't going to help that one bit. Mind you I'm not using it as a counterargument to his inclusion as I don't doubt Sakurai's bias, but I still think it'd be very poor design. Some characters are best left as alternate costumes with a unique voice over and name, which is very possible to do, and Dark Pit is the prime example of one that should stay as that imo.
Isn't that a problem on all Smash Bros games, keeping up with the action? Half of what you're saying is true. Mario and Luigi have different body proportions and attack styles, while Pit and Dark Pit would most likely have similar body shapes and sizes, making it a bit confusing.

But, to Golden's credit, it wouldn't be that hard. I think you're really blowing it out of the water how hard it would be to follow. If I can follow the action without my glasses or contacts for ten minutes in a BowservBowser, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all that bad.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Dark Pit and Pit could also have different stances.
like Filia and Fukua.

...why am i even here!? i blame N3on...

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If even Lucina doesn't have her own idle stance I doubt Dark Pit of all characters will.

It's not so much that I think he'd be a problem, again I'm not trying to disprove him here, it's mostly that I think he'd be a bad choice for a clone character because he isn't distinct at all from Pit. As someone who isn't a KI:U fan it'd feel like taking Bowser's new green skin, make it a seperate character and call him King Koopa, I know he's a seperate character with a distinct personality in KI:U, but that only matters to such a small part of Smash's audience. I'd rather see even Pichu return over including Dark Pit in this case.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Apparently, Japan (specifically the Eastern Miiverse) is pissed off with Takamru's AT role according to MasterMushroom. This is the Ashley issue on 4CHna all over again with a hint of the pre-Brawl Lyn suicide. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom