• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDoom1666

Smash Cadet
I usually support the characters I like the design of, as well as the ones from games I liked. That's why now, I'm a huge supporter of Neku and Micaiah, not only do I like the character but the games I enjoyed so much.

Last time I checked Wolf Link isn't a goddess and didn't have god-like powers.
The key part is the fact that Nintendo actually has all the rights to him. Also, I guess Layton COULD work.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I get what you mean, but personally, I don't like the idea of characters who only exist in Fighting games, being guest fighters in Smash Bros. Heck, I considered Punch Out! a fighting game, and even though I like it, it was why I was upset of the addition on Little Mac.
I understand, it all comes to preference.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I like Morgan, but we all know why she couldn't appear in Smash :chuckle:
I know that a lot of her movesetes are a little risky in a sense but if Sakurai put Snake in and make him work in Smash I could see the same for Morrigan, thats why I think Bayonetta could work too, with Ryu Hayabusa, Travis Touchdown, Jack Cayman and the Prince from Prince of Persia series.

That argument that not every character could be in Smash because of the series where he/she/it comes from don´t go well in Smash is bull crap, we have Kirby, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Samus and Marth in a single game.

.n_n.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
If there is another Capcom character it should be Morrigan, Viewtiful Joe or Amaterasu.

.n_n.
Ammy would be so amazing. Chock full of potential there. Viewtiful Joe I don't know anything about, it's like the one Kamiya game I haven't played (is it good?). If a second Capcom character were possible, I think Capcom would choose another big hitter like M. Bison Ryu or Jill Valentine. There's likely more interesting characters like the ones you listed, but I don't see many others getting in before them as much as I would want them to.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Ammy would be so amazing. Chock full of potential there. Viewtiful Joe I don't know anything about, it's like the one Kamiya game I haven't played (is it good?). If a second Capcom character were possible, I think Capcom would choose another big hitter like M. Bison Ryu or Jill Valentine. There's likely more interesting characters like the ones you listed, but I don't see many others getting in before them as much as I would want them to.
I have play only the first Viewtiful Joe and was an amazing game, the mechanics and gameplay are great, the music rocks, the cel shading style goes so well with the game because is like you are watching a comic book. In a sense is like your typical beat'm up but the gameplay adds a lot with slow, fast ward movesets and other techniques.

I can tell you is not for everyone and the difficulty of the game is in the standards of the old school games (is difficult but not impossible), still is a game that I didn't finish because it was borrowed but what I play, I love every single thing about it.

.n_n.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I fixed my roster, by the way.

View attachment 19361

There @Louie G. you got your freaking Rhythm Heaven character! :laugh:

Also made room for Miis and Paper Mario. :)
Seems pretty good, and I know your the me of the Ghirahim supporters, so I won't touch on that. :awesome:

Only thing I'm really doubting is Takamaru, and the Rhythm Wrestler to an extent.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Seems pretty good, and I know your the me of the Ghirahim supporters, so I won't touch on that. :awesome:
Only thing I'm really doubting is Takamaru, and the Rhythm Wrestler to an extent.
I'm sort of interested in seeing Takamaru now, and I find him more likely than a Rhythm Heaven character, which is why he replaced the Wrestler & Reporter initially.
Now, they're both there.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I fixed my roster, by the way.

View attachment 19361

There @Louie G. you got your freaking Rhythm Heaven character! :laugh:

Also made room for Miis and Paper Mario. :)
Mewtwo, King K, AND Paper Mario! I like it! But I would prefer other retros over Takamaru personally. Oh, an Elite Beat character or Im@s character instead of a RH one. (But I know that's 99.9% not happening, at least not the Im@s character)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would prefer other retros over Takamaru personally.
I used to be the same way, I still prefer Mach Rider, but I think Takamaru is actually very likely if a retro character is guaranteed (which is not so sure anymore)
And I think he would add more to be the game overall. We've yet to have a samurai on the roster, after all.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Mach Rider is my most wanted Retro character if that's what you want to call him. Other than that, the only other one that somewhat interests me is possibly Lip. I'm not too big on characters that are region exclusive.

Edit: Bowser's Up-Special has been significantly buffed. The Live stream is going on now and I honestly thought he was a goner.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You know, when I first joined Smashboards, I was a definite supporter of Ghirahim. I do like the character and wouldn't care if he was in the game. I frankly just don't think it will happen.

I don't expect it, but would be pleased if he was in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You know, when I first joined Smashboards, I was a definite supporter of Ghirahim. I do like the character and wouldn't care if he was in the game. I frankly just don't think it will happen.

I don't expect it, but it would fill my heart with rainbows if he was in.
I think that's a fairly common opinion. I myself don't find Ghirahim to be that likely (it could happen, I just don't think it will), but he's an enjoyable character and it would be pretty fun to play as him. Plus the amount of personality he could bring to the game would be interesting to say the least.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I didn't care for Ghirahim that much, and frankly, the only thing I want from Zelda is a fixed Ganondorf. I wouldn't be against Ghirahim, and I think he'd be a decent addition. But I don't think he's very likely at all, in fact I'd say the chance he's playable is downright nil. Hell, Ghirahim probably won't even be an Assist Trophy or Boss, he'll just be represented as a trophy and that's about it.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Mach Rider is my most wanted Retro character if that's what you want to call him. Other than that, the only other one that somewhat interests me is possibly Lip. I'm not too big on characters that are region exclusive.

Edit: Bowser's Up-Special has been significantly buffed. The Live stream is going on now and I honestly thought he was a goner.
My most wanted retros are Duck Hunt Dog, Lip, Ayumi, and Donbe and Hikari. But the only one who has a shot I think is Duck Hunt Dog, and as I've said before I actually think we will get him.

D

Deleted member

Abomasnow confirmed as Poké Ball.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently it's old news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I just realized that's 12 Mario characters...whoa there. At the same time, I have no problem with it.
I'm tired of people saying that Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters. By that logic, Mario and Co. are Donkey Kong characters. Just because they appear in the spinoffs do not make them Mario characters, ore even that Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters, they've easily established their own series'.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm tired of people saying that Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters. By that logic, Mario and Co. are Donkey Kong characters. Just because they appear in the spinoffs do not make them Mario characters, ore even that Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters, they've easily established their own series'.
They're still affiliated with the Mario Universe though, especially considering that Yoshi AND Wario have appeared in at least one mainstream Mario title; Super Mario World for Yoshi, and Super Mario Land 2 for Wario. Likewise, Mario and the modern Donkey Kong have their own series; Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

It should be noted, however, that Yoshi shares the exact same main antagonist as Mario (Bowser), so he has stronger ties to the Mario franchise than Donkey Kong and Wario.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
They're still affiliated with the Mario Universe though, especially considering that Yoshi AND Wario have appeared in at least one mainstream Mario title; Super Mario World for Yoshi, and Super Mario Land 2 for Wario. Likewise, Mario and the modern Donkey Kong have their own series; Mario vs. Donkey Kong.

It should be noted, however, that Yoshi shares the exact same main antagonist as Mario (Bowser), so he has stronger ties to the Mario franchise than Donkey Kong and Wario.
Yoshi's main antagonist is Baby Bowser, who is the baby form of Bowser, and has only appeared in one Mario title (M&L: PiT). Yoshi is more Mario than Wario, granted, who I consider to be his own full character.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi's main antagonist is Baby Bowser, who is the baby form of Bowser, and has only appeared in one Mario title (M&L: PiT). Yoshi is more Mario than Wario, granted, who I consider to be his own full character.
The irony, however, is that in Yoshi's last set of mainstream games (Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's New Island), the adult Bowser ends up being the true final boss.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi's pretty much separate in icon only as far as I'm concerned. It'd be like if Luigi was listed as a "Luigi's Mansion" character. Only separate on technicality.

It's not like Donkey Kong, who has very little ties to Mario other than both DKC and Mario Bros. branching off from the same source of origin, the Mario vs. DK subseries, and DK characters joining in for sports, kart racing, parties, etc., or Wario, who's practically got his own universe in WarioWare and has had no ties to Mario in Wario Land since the first game, only showing up for sports, parties, kart racing, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think that's a fairly common opinion. I myself don't find Ghirahim to be that likely (it could happen, I just don't think it will), but he's an enjoyable character and it would be pretty fun to play as him. Plus the amount of personality he could bring to the game would be interesting to say the least.
I think the fact so many have this opinion really helps his chances.

A character that has tons of moveset potential, is liked by many but not expected in favour of other characters.
Is that not exactly what Sakurai is looking for?

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Yoshi and Wario rep their own series, but they are strongly tied to the Mario Universe. Wario less so. However, Wario spun off from the Mario franchise. So saying Mario has 7 reps isn't entirely unreasonable.

DK is its own thing that just so happens to crossover with Mario sometimes. I like to see Diddy and Luigi rep their own series, but it will get out of hand.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I think the fact so many have this opinion really helps his chances.

A character that has tons of moveset potential, is liked by many but not expected in favour of other characters.
Is that not exactly what Sakurai is looking for?
Isn't everyone expecting Girahim?
to pull an unexpected character would be to pull out Aghanim instead.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm suprised at how pessimistic people are towards Ghirahim now. I've been used to people saying he's one of the most likely characters for Smash 4, and now you all are saying he's not very likely. Can you guys make up your minds please...

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I'm suprised at how pessimistic people are towards Ghirahim now. I've been used to people saying he's one of the most likely characters for Smash 4, and now you all are saying he's not very likely. Can you guys make up your minds please...
I think people are salty, as Girahim was fine and dandy, until his chances to appear in Smash have become astronomically high.
I think most Zelda fans would rather have someone else entirely than a one-off villain who will never return and isn't quite as unique or interesting as many others.

the type of support Girahim gets is the same support Midna got after TP, namely: it wil disappear the instant the next game is revealed.

heck

Hyrule warriors Impa has become a fan favorite now, dethroning Girahim.

D

Deleted member

Though regardless of what I said about DK and Wario, it wouldn't be inaccurate to claim there are 9 characters from the entire Mario universe (not franchise), since DK and Wario are part of the same universe as Mario.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I like Ghirahim. He is one of my favorite Zelda characters, and since Midna is now an assist trophy (booooo) I am now rooting for him to be playable.

D

Deleted member

Where's epicgordan?
I'm surprised he isn't using this stream as evidence for 8-Bit Mario. :awesome:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think people are salty, as Girahim was fine and dandy, until his chances to appear in Smash have become astronomically high.
I think most Zelda fans would rather have someone else entirely than a one-off villain who will never return and isn't quite as unique or interesting as many others.

the type of support Girahim gets is the same support Midna got after TP, namely: it wil disappear the instant the next game is revealed.

heck

Hyrule warriors Impa has become a fan favorite now, dethroning Girahim.
How did Ghirahim's chances become astronomically high?

As for Impa, a lot of people wanted Impa long before she was announced for Warriors. Hyrule Warriors just brought light to the notion that Impa never fought in any Zelda games and could bring something different for a Zelda fighter than just being a clone of Sheik (not necessarily having Impa based on HW, that's incredibly unlikely). And as Impa is a far more important and central character to the Zelda franchise, she makes far more sense as a whole than a one-off villain whose story is done and won't appear in anything other than spinoffs.

Ghirahim appearing in Hyrule Warriors doesn't increase his chances. In all honesty, he was pretty much guaranteed to appear in the game. The fact is that Hyrule Warriors has tons of Zelda characters from throughout the series, and if him being in the game helps him getting into Smash, it also helps everyone else on the Hyrule Warriors roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Um, what?

I think the only character I would ever say had astronomically high chances would have been Palutena... Ghirahim's chances are decent at best, and very low at worst. In what way are his chances astronomically high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom