• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I believe the trophy theory because I think there's more to it than "trophy equals series newcomer". Honestly, it's the music that plays over each one that got me thinking, specifically, the track over Tiki's trophy. ID Purpose is a track that connects to Robin and Lucina, specifically, and NOT Chrom, who was pretty much mocked in the trailer (There's also that Tiki has support conversations with Robin and Lucina, and again, not Chrom). Palutena's Returns' track was obviously playing over pseudo.

Of course, this could just be an elaborate straw, but still, I never minded being wrong.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I believe the trophy theory because I think there's more to it than "trophy equals series newcomer". Honestly, it's the music that plays over each one that got me thinking, specifically, the track over Tiki's trophy. ID Purpose is a track that connects to Robin and Lucina, specifically, and NOT Chrom, who was pretty much mocked in the trailer (There's also that Tiki has support conversations with Robin and Lucina, and again, not Chrom). Palutena's Returns' track was obviously playing over pseudo.

Of course, this could just be an elaborate straw, but still, I never minded being wrong.
I'm going to go with elaborate straw.

Both Palutena and A FE newcomer were expected. I don't really get the idea that Purpose was only directed at Lucina and Robin either; I would need an explanation as to why it doesn't pertain to Chrom when he is a major part of the final level.

Like I said, if we get a Zelda newcomer or Ridley, then maybe i'd believe it. Otherwise I think people are looking waaaay too deep.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Not to be pessimistic, but everyone also expected a reveal during the tournament at E3...
There is a track record recently for after tournaments are held. After the E3 Invitational, Pac-Man was announced. The day after Evo 2014, Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon were announced. Now here we are, yet another tournament, the real question here is, will it happen again? If it does happen again, who will be announced. a veteran or a newcomer?

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
There is a track record recently for after tournaments are held. After the E3 Invitational, Pac-Man was announced. The day after Evo 2014, Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon were announced. Now here we are, yet another tournament, the real question here is, will it happen again? If it does happen again, who will be announced. a veteran or a newcomer?
Pac-Man's announcement had nothing to do with the invitational. His confirmation was part of the developer roundtable.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I always thought it was an elaborate straw grasp assembled by the pure madness that is the Ghirahim thread.
Fixed for accuracy.

The trophy quiz is no more than a straw grasper for not just Ghirahim, but for any sixth Zelda rep. Ridley has enough merits to completely disregard the trophy quiz and still be extremely likely to be playable, while Ghirahim only really has current game status, small pockets of popularity, and KeniththeGatherer.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
Pac-Man's announcement had nothing to do with the invitational. His confirmation was part of the developer roundtable.
Which was after the invitational. Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon's announcement had nothing to do with EVO 2014 either. All I'm pointing out is a nice pattern Nintendo is doing after tournaments recently.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Fixed for accuracy.

The trophy quiz is no more than a straw grasper for not just Ghirahim, but for any sixth Zelda rep. Ridley has enough merits to completely disregard the trophy quiz and still be extremely likely to be playable, while Ghirahim only really has current game status, small pockets of popularity, and KeniththeGatherer.
Hey You don't have to talk like that of us :drflip: (even if that info is totally true and accurate)

Note: Funny enough there was another group who were in the same way as us (Robin thread)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Nintendo said they have a couple of surprises, so we'll see. At most, I think we'll see a veteran. I really stress, "At most."

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai would have said something about Comic Con if we were getting a character.

However if I'm not mistaken, other Nintendo games have been getting new trailers right?
So, although Smash is on a bigger scale, it's not impossible.

I wouldn't count on it though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I wouldn't say "elaborate straw" but definitely looking far into it.

Still, taking the trophy theory into account is apparently how @MorbidAltruism predicted Robin, so maybe that's not a bad idea.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Sakurai would have said something about Comic Con if we were getting a character.

However if I'm not mistaken, other Nintendo games have been getting new trailers right?
So, although Smash is on a bigger scale, it's not impossible.

I wouldn't count on it though.
Sakurai has no reason to say anything since Nintendo ruined the surprise on the 3DS eShop. :troll:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Given his/her role in the game, as well as how he's/she's both a sword and magic user, as well as the skyrocketed popularity of Fire Emblem thanks to the sales of Awakening, it wasn't hard to predict Robin at all. Seeing Tiki as a trophy in a series where we've seen Fire Emblem represented in the form of only one stage, two characters, and like 8 trophies derived from only 3 games in the series in Brawl, only added to the notion of the series' further acknowledgement in SSB4, as well as more inclusion of the series' characters, which includes Robin. I just wrote a really long run-on but I hope that makes sense haha.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Given his/her role in the game, as well as how he's/she's both a sword and magic user, as well as the skyrocketed popularity of Fire Emblem thanks to the sales of Awakening, it wasn't hard to predict Robin at all.
Oh, I remember it clearly, everyone was absolutely sure our Fire Emblem newcomer was Robin, right?
Because that's what I remember.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm just saying, even though many were sure of Chrom nobody was ruling Robin out, and it wasn't hard to think he was going to get it. I guess I'm speaking for myself here but I for one saw Robin as very likely.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm going to go with elaborate straw.

Both Palutena and A FE newcomer were expected. I don't really get the idea that Purpose was only directed at Lucina and Robin either; I would need an explanation as to why it doesn't pertain to Chrom when he is a major part of the final level.

Like I said, if we get a Zelda newcomer or Ridley, then maybe i'd believe it. Otherwise I think people are looking waaaay too deep.
Well, "Id" is Robin's theme song, after all. It's more tied to him/her than anyone else. And the final battle is more focused on Robin than it is Chrom.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm just saying, even though many were sure of Chrom nobody was ruling Robin out, and it wasn't hard to think he was going to get it. I guess I'm speaking for myself here but I for one saw Robin as very likely.
You are speaking for yourself. The people who say Robin as more likely are not the same people who saw him as more ideal (that was pretty much everyone).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There is no reason to believe we will get a character reveal. None. Sakurai has told us to watch every event that has had a character reveal in it before the event happened. Even the direct that brought us Luigi. He also named dropped E3 in the NSMBU pic of the day the week before E3, and the official Smashbros.com website was advertising both E3 and the invitational beforehand.

SDCC has NEVER been mentioned by Sakurai on Miiverse. There is nothing about it on Smashbros.com. There were also supposed to be surprises at EVO. Sure, anything CAN happen, but why should we be expecting anything right now?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll be completely honest in saying that I thought Robin was overrated and that everyone who expected him over Chrom was in denial. For some reason I have no problem with admitting that, probably because all of you know that already. :p

But I love being proven wrong by Sakurai. Unless of course it hurts a character's chances that I care about.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
See? This is why I am so smug when talking about Ghirahim.

No one considers it likely, which is what would have been said about half of the newcomers we have.
Even the ones we did expect were revealed at very unexpected times (like Little Mac on Valentine's Day)

Actually, that's not where my smugness comes from.
But I do think it's funny.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
At this point I don't even know who's likely or not anymore. The ones I saw as likely, which were Little Mac, Palutena, Mii, Pac Man, and Robin, are all confirmed. I really only have the rest of the Gematsu leak to base my claims off of.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think a RH character is still somewhat likely, as well as Shulk, both for reasons unrelated to the Gematsu leak. A new DK rep, a new Zelda rep, and Ridley round out my likely newcomer list (I see Mewtwo as a veteran.)

I also wouldn't count out some clones (Dark Pit?), Retro Characters (Takamaru?), or even one more Assist Trophy getting an upgrade (Isaac?)

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Shulk is very likely, as is a Rhythm Heaven character (likely the Chorus Kids).
A DK newcomer is very plausible as well, and Ridley can really go either way.
Then there's Takamaru, Mach Rider, Dark Pit, and Isaac, characters I like to keep in the back of my mind just in case.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I think Shulk is very likely, as is a Rhythm Heaven character (likely the Chorus Kids).
A DK newcomer is very plausible as well, and Ridley can really go either way.
Then there's Takamaru, Mach Rider, Dark Pit, and Isaac, characters I like to keep in the back of my mind just in case.
Yeah for me it's really just Shulk and a Rhythm Heaven character thanks to the Gematsu leak. And then there's the plausibility of alt costumes. For anyone else is like, "Eh, maybe?"

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm not heavily on the Ridley bandwagon, but it's very strange that we still haven't seen him appear as a boss on the Pyrosphere. Only his shadow which could directly disconfirm him, or tease something else.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'm not heavily on the Ridley bandwagon, but it's very strange that we still haven't seen him appear as a boss on the Pyrosphere. Only his shadow which could directly confirm him, or tease something else.
And now thanks to Cocoro showing all confirmed characters/stages maybe we'll see some info on him soon.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'll be completely honest in saying that I thought Robin was overrated and that everyone who expected him over Chrom was in denial. For some reason I have no problem with admitting that, probably because all of you know that already. :p

But I love being proven wrong by Sakurai. Unless of course it hurts a character's chances that I care about.
Those accusations of denial hurt, you know... We had logic and evidence on our side and everyone still told us to accept the reality that Chrom was inevitable.

Looking back, Chrom didn't really have much evidence in his favor apart from arbitrary ideas and a rather odd leak.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Those accusations of denial hurt, you know... We had logic and evidence on our side and everyone still told us to accept the reality that Chrom was inevitable.

Looking back, Chrom didn't really have much evidence in his favor apart from arbitrary ideas and a rather odd leak.
Well ignoring the leak, both Chrom and Robin had about the same things going for them.
They share a starring role in Awakening and... That's it.

I, along with a lot of others I'm sure, just had a gut feeling that we would get an Awakening character.
Personally I think Chrom and Robin were both planned originally.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I really think we will have, at the least, unlockable veterans.

Let's say we have two more newcomer trailers, with 2 veterans revealed within them. Let us say we have two more veteran reveals in between. Just a guess, but it seems reasonable to me.

So, if that's the case, let's say we get:

Ness
Ice CLimbers
Wario
Metaknight

That would leave this list of what I consider fairly likely veterans:
Falco
Wolf
Mewtwo
Gannondorf
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.

Maybe we just get a huge deluge of info, but the fact that Game and Watch is not on the official site now makes me feel confident in my prediction. I just hope we also have a healthy amount of newcomers mixed in with the veteran unlocks.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well ignoring the leak, both Chrom and Robin had about the same things going for them.
They share a starring role in Awakening and... That's it.

I, along with a lot of others I'm sure, just had a gut feeling that we would get an Awakening character.
Personally I think Chrom and Robin were both planned originally.
Well, there were also little details Robin supporters noticed that we thought may have pointed towards Robin's inclusion/Chrom's exclusion, like Robin's theme song being one of the two songs chosen for Arena Ferox, and the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to highlight Ike's Aether ability, which was also Chrom's signature ability. Of course, there was also the whole thing about unique newcomers, which was definitely a plus for Robin, and most of the arguments used against Robin could be disproven based on what we saw of the game so far.

Also, based on what Sakuai said, if sounds like he was debating using Chrom or Robin, and he decided to go with Robin. It doesn't sound like both were planned simultaneously.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ False Sense False Sense
It's confirmed that Lucina was added as a result of a character being cut, and to keep the roster size the same Lucina, previously an alternate costume was made a separate character. I also remember hearing that Sakurai decided against Chrom out of boredom for the character, but the way that Chrom was handled in the trailer makes me think that Chrom was at the least heavily considered for a spot on the roster.

I doubt that Lucina would be upgraded if the character cut was not from Fire Emblem, and based on what I mentioned before I came to the conclusion that Chrom was on the original roster.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's confirmed that Lucina was added as a result of a character being cut, and to keep the roster size the same Lucina, previously an alternate costume was made a separate character. I also remember hearing that Sakurai decided against Chrom out of boredom for the character, but the way that Chrom was handled in the trailer makes me think that Chrom was at the least heavily considered for a spot on the roster.

I doubt that Lucina would be upgraded if the character cut was not from Fire Emblem, and based on what I mentioned before I came to the conclusion that Chrom was on the original roster.
Actually, I heard that the "cut character" thing was confirmed to be a mistranslation.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

No its not, that was never once stated at all. No characters that we know of have been cut, and no one ever stated anywhere that Lucina was cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom