• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Is anyone believing this "leak" that Ridley is deconfirmed? I don't believe the tiniest bit of that info

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
No character announcement tonight, just like I thought, also apparently I was wrong when I said this was a two day tournament. I could've sworn that's what it said about it.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
So sometime, maybe early August or in a few days I think we'll get a newcomer/veteran video, we'll have a Nintendo Direct to reveal a newcomer/veteran, and we get a veteran in a pic of the day. The rest can be secret.

Also, why don't they reveal stuff at these tournaments? They're the perfect place to do so.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Honestly, we weren't getting a newcomer from the get go tonight as this was a tourney setting. Just because Smash is shown off =/= we're getting major news. The best thing is that people got to go play Smash and we get a tourney that Nintendo ran pretty well after the technical issues with the commentators, setups and rules for the most part. (Though the stream is still live but it's bugged :urg:)

However, if we manage to get something minor within the next few days, it's not out of the question. But expecting Nintendo to always feed us big info at any event isn't a good idea. We'll get something new in regards to a playable character at the soonest in August, and we already have two newcomers to boot this month, and two (technically) veterans, Captain Falcon, and the EShop Derp essentially confirming Wario's return.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We'll get something new in regards to a playable character at the soonest in August, and we already have two newcomers to boot this month, and two (technically) veterans, Captain Falcon, and the EShop Derp essentially confirming Wario's return.
Well, Wario was already practically confirmed when we got Ashley as an Assist. This just further cements what we already knew.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What are you guys talking about?

The surprise was Bowser winning a Smash tournament. holy ****

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Been going around facebook that someone mentioned Ridley was deconfirmed by saying "Like this dragon thing in Pyrosphere". Um...I don't even believe this and I'm even getting flammed for asking for proof which no one is doing :joyful:

Morbi

Scavenger
This Falco only being an alternate skin talk is breaking my heart.
It is not breaking my heart in the slightest because those who believe that Falco is nothing more than an alternate costume for Fox are quite simply delusional. In fact, it is more humorous than anything.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Been going around facebook that someone mentioned Ridley was deconfirmed by saying "Like this dragon thing in Pyrosphere". Um...I don't even believe this and I'm even getting flammed for asking for proof which no one is doing :joyful:
Link?

Morbi

Scavenger
I like this. After using sucky Bowser for over a decade, here's my chance for the Koopa King to show what he's really made of.
I never had this problem as I usually play "Free For All" where Bowser is actually quite the dominant character; however, I would not be surprised if Sakurai's knee-jerk reaction was to nerf Bowser to Mushroom Kingdom and back after his overall performance.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Only link I can say is go on the "Super Smash Bros. Discussion Group" page on facebook where you can see the whole thing. I don't know where this whole thing even started today and I doubt anyone here heard it either

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Only link I can say is go on the "Super Smash Bros. Discussion Group" page on facebook where you can see the whole thing. I don't know where this whole thing even started today and I doubt anyone here heard it either
What's the story about it?

Was it mentioned in the stream?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So we are at 36 counting Miis as one character. Subtract the third-party characters and we have 33. I could see a 36 to 38 starting roster and then 12 hidden characters (including 3rd parties) as I feel we will have a 50 character roster now, especially with us getting 5 newcomers in the past two months.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

From my understanding, someone in the Facebook comments said something about a "dragon on the Pyrosphere" (or something like that) being mentioned in the stream.

However, the people here watching the stream say that they don't remember anything like that being mentioned.

Morbi

Scavenger
From my understanding, someone in the Facebook comments said something about a "dragon on the Pyrosphere" (or something like that) being mentioned in the stream.

However, the people here watching the stream say that they don't remember anything like that being mentioned.
I suppose this confirms Charizard as a stage-hazard... :sadeyes:

On an unrelated note; people are down-playing Black Shadow in the "Rate Their Chances" thread. I suppose it is to be expected as he does not have hive mind support. :c

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I have absolutely no idea about it. All I did was went on facebook and next thing I knew, the whole "RIDLEY DECONFIRMED" was everywhere. It's obviously someone feeding the trolls to make this look legit

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I like this. After using sucky Bowser for over a decade, here's my chance for the Koopa King to show what he's really made of.
I read an article some guy wrote about his impressions from a long hands-on demo with the 3DS version and he said Bowser at this point in development Bowser feels like one of the best of the demo roster. There's still time to nerf him, but right now he's supposedly one of the best :chuckle:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well considering that over half the roster isn't in the demo, I feel like Bowser most likely won't be the best character.

Sakurai also said himself the devs have scored Samus as the best character in the game so far. So we'll see soon enough I guess.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I always thought bowser was a fine character. He was slow, but he packed such a huge punch as long as you timed his moves properly.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
For all we know Bowser could be terrible even in this very build. Nevermind that this is an unfinished build, the metagame is non existent right now to even know who could be good or not because it's impossible. I mean it took like a year for Morrigan in MvC3 to go from one of the worst to arguably the best.

Hell it took a few months for everyone to find out that MK was SSSSSS tier.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I just hope Link doesn't get screwed again for the fifth time(I heard he was pretty bad in SC2).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I just hope Link doesn't get screwed again for the fifth time(I heard he was pretty bad in SC2).
Yeah he's bad in SC2. Heihachi was the only good guest character...one of the best even.

To be fair Link isn't bad in Melee. I feel like he has untapped potential. Well Young Link does at least.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Any good Villager gameplay? I stopped watching the stream due to all the frickin' matches containing: Marth, Kirby, Luigi, and Bowser(I'm glad to see Bowser love though).

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm pretty much convinced that Lucina got in as a separate character due to another character being cut. Sakurai said that he cut Shulk because he didn't offer unique, but then puts in Lucina, who is literally just Marth with long hair and breasts. I don't buy his 'Lucina plays differently to Marth' excuse. We know that she was originally planned as an alt costume. I think that a character got cut due to time constraints, or due to third party complications, so they separated Lucina to take up an easy roster slot.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai said that he cut Shulk because he didn't offer unique,
What a twitst!

:troll:

In all seriousness, Robin was Chrom's replacement.

I think Lucina was just put in as roster padding ala Melee.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
For all we know Bowser could be terrible even in this very build. Nevermind that this is an unfinished build, the metagame is non existent right now to even know who could be good or not because it's impossible. I mean it took like a year for Morrigan in MvC3 to go from one of the worst to arguably the best.

Hell it took a few months for everyone to find out that MK was SSSSSS tier.
I still think in this current build Bowser is very good this could change however i still think Bowser will be Top Tier if they don't change him

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What a twitst!

Well yeah, but I don't think she was planned as that from the start. She was originally planned as an alt, and frankly makes more sense as an alt than as a separate character. That to me says that the change from alt to separate was the result of a change in the development process. This makes me think that maybe one of the heavily requested characters has been cut due to time constraints, or that a surprise third party has fallen through the cracks due to complications.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Well yeah, but I don't think she was planned as that from the start. She was originally planned as an alt, and frankly makes more sense as an alt than as a separate character. That to me says that the change from alt to separate was the result of a change in the development process. This makes me think that maybe one of the heavily requested characters has been cut due to time constraints, or that a surprise third party has fallen through the cracks due to complications.
Interesting observation.
Maybe this is the case indeed.
Seeing as Sakurai has had his arms injured for a year and some change now... and he mentioned it would interfere with his work.
I wonder if the game got delayed because of it.
Now that his left arm is also suffering maybe it means they need to wrap it up for the 3DS release, since he promised the same roster.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm pretty much convinced that Lucina got in as a separate character due to another character being cut. Sakurai said that he cut Shulk because he didn't offer unique, but then puts in Lucina, who is literally just Marth with long hair and breasts. I don't buy his 'Lucina plays differently to Marth' excuse. We know that she was originally planned as an alt costume. I think that a character got cut due to time constraints, or due to third party complications, so they separated Lucina to take up an easy roster slot.
I don't think this is the case at all. If anything, Lucina was added as a bonus, she's not replacing a character. It was never stated anywhere a character was cut, and Sakurai's statement was, plain and simply, Lucina was different enough to get a separate slot. That's it. You've got to twist words to try and come up with this theory that Lucina replaced a cut character, when nothing like that was ever stated.

Also lol at not getting Chrom's name right again. I've seen people mistake Chrom's name for Shulk before, but its not as bad as saying "Chrome." :p

What a twitst!

Lol no, you're closer though. Robin didn't replace Chrom, Robin was just plain chosen over Chrom. Its not a matter of "Chrom was planned but not unique enough, we used Robin instead." It was "we considered Chrom as a character, but chosen not to add him as Robin was more unique."

Robin didn't replace Chrom because Chrom was never on the roster. In the planning phase, Robin won out, gameover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom