• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
By astronomically high, I meant in comparison to other Zelda characters, IF a Zelda newcomer is a thing.

As for Impa in smash, I doubt Sakurai will base a character off of a spinoff version of that characters, so IF Impa is in Smash, I doubt it will be based off of HW.

That beings said, looking at the way Sakurai has been teasing and hinting at things, Impa and Girahim seem the most viable options for Smash, however Girahim has a slightly higher chance regarding Sakurai's way of picking characters.

But we have Lucina, so.... it's possible Impa is in.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
...Um, what?

I think the only character I would ever say had astronomically high chances would have been Palutena... Ghirahim's chances are decent at best, and very low at worst. In what way are his chances astronomically high?
Chrom's chances were astronomically high, as well... before he was deconfirmed. :p (Not in my eyes, but in most people's eyes he was all but confirmed.)

By astronomically high, I meant in comparison to other Zelda characters, IF a Zelda newcomer is a thing.

As for Impa in smash, I doubt Sakurai will base a character off of a spinoff version of that characters, so IF Impa is in Smash, I doubt it will be based off of HW.

That beings said, looking at the way Sakurai has been teasing and hinting at things, Impa and Girahim seem the most viable options for Smash, however Girahim has a slightly higher chance regarding Sakurai's way of picking characters.

But we have Lucina, so.... it's possible Impa is in.
Or Sakurai will prioritize giving Ganondorf a unique moveset over adding a new Zelda character like Ghirahim.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom's chances were astronomically high, as well... before he was deconfirmed. :p (Not in my eyes, but in most people's eyes he was all but confirmed.)
Yeah, "astronomically high" chances, to me, would imply that the character in question is a near guarantee. I didn't think Chrom was a guarantee, by any means. Almost no character is, really.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814

Or Sakurai will prioritize giving Ganondorf a unique moveset over adding a new Zelda character like Ghirahim.
Hence the "IF" statement.

Chrom's chances were astronomically high, but we all knew he had the issue of having no moveset potential.
Robin was expected to be the second character in line, but we thought FE would only get one rep.
I think Sakurai made a call not only for the roster, but for the series as a whole as having Chrom as the only newcomer with Lucina as a clone would not be representative of the series as a whole.

View it like that when considering who he should add to Zelda. Impa doesn't add anything and neither does Girahim. Not to the series as the series is already well-represented, save for Toon Link/Classic Link games.

That's how I view it. That's how most of Sakurai's choices seem to make sense to me.
In my predictions I am fairly accurate as to what characters appear in smash games.

On a totally different note, Sakurai always loves to tease and allude to his choices. He has been teasing us with Dark Pit's theme, Kid Icarus uprising levels, the Namco special flag. He has also been teasing us with Skyward sword trophies and music.
It just raises too many question marks.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ganondorf already has many moves that have been decloned from Captain Falcon.
The general playstyle probably won't change, he's probably just going to get decloned completely.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yoshi's pretty much separate in icon only as far as I'm concerned. It'd be like if Luigi was listed as a "Luigi's Mansion" character. Only separate on technicality.

It's not like Donkey Kong, who has very little ties to Mario other than both DKC and Mario Bros. branching off from the same source of origin, the Mario vs. DK subseries, and DK characters joining in for sports, kart racing, parties, etc., or Wario, who's practically got his own universe in WarioWare and has had no ties to Mario in Wario Land since the first game, only showing up for sports, parties, kart racing, etc.
I'm tired of people saying that Donkey Kong, Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters. By that logic, Mario and Co. are Donkey Kong characters. Just because they appear in the spinoffs do not make them Mario characters, ore even that Yoshi and Wario are Mario characters, they've easily established their own series'.
Sure, Mario could be said to be a Donkey Kong character, but since then DK and Mario have only been in Mario vs. Donkey Kong games and Mario spinoff games. Mario hasn't been in a DK game nor DK spinoff. Likewise, Yoshi and Wario haven't been in any of each others' or Donkey Kong's games. Likewise, Baby DK and Baby Wario have appeared in Yoshi's Island DS, but whether that game is canon or not is debatable.

Yoshi is more of a Mario franchise than either DK or Wario, as we've already established. However Mario is clearly the bigger franchise. Wario has the Wario Land and WarioWare series, and DK has had the Country and Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat and Barrel Blast games. But Mario and DK appeared in Donkey Kong together, and Wario first appeared in a supposed Mario title. While they've branched off they're still tied with the Mario series in some way.

So Mario's the bigger franchise, with more games, sales, popularity, etc. The Mario franchise has spinoffs with the Wario as well as DK and crew, but not vice versa. The games DK and Wario debuted in are associated with Mario. I personally don't think it's a huge deal or stretch to say that Yoshi, DK, and Wario characters can be called Mario characters. It's a silly thing to be bothered by in my opinion, and calling all of them DK characters is plain incorrect.

It's like debating whether ska punk is either "ska punk" or "third wave ska." Dumb debate, not worth the time.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, "astronomically high" chances, to me, would imply that the character in question is a near guarantee. I didn't think Chrom was a guarantee, by any means. Almost no character is, really.
Doesn't matter what you or I thought. The fact is, 90% of the Smash Bros. speculation community thought the Fire Emblem rep was all but confirmed. You're exactly right, no character has "astronomically high" chances, that's exactly the point I was trying to make with my previous sarcastic remark.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I used to be the same way, I still prefer Mach Rider, but I think Takamaru is actually very likely if a retro character is guaranteed (which is not so sure anymore)
And I think he would add more to be the game overall. We've yet to have a samurai on the roster, after all.
Don't forget the fact that he has the potential of being great zoner despite being a swordsman. Unlike Link's bows, Taka's weapons has the potential of covering more fields and being spammable. Like a certain knight from Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm suprised at how pessimistic people are towards Ghirahim now. I've been used to people saying he's one of the most likely characters for Smash 4, and now you all are saying he's not very likely. Can you guys make up your minds please...
Skyward Sword was still fresh in their minds. Now with Hyrule Warriors and Zelda U on the horizon, people have moved on.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm suprised at how pessimistic people are towards Ghirahim now. I've been used to people saying he's one of the most likely characters for Smash 4, and now you all are saying he's not very likely. Can you guys make up your minds please...
No, I'll be as inconsistent as I want to be!:troll:

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
Did we already know that one of Fox's customization options is a stun on his blaster?
I guess either way, we do now, thanks to that slip-up :troll:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ooh boy what does this mean for Falco and Wolf zomg zomg omg omg mg mg g g
For Wolf? Not much, Wolf is way different from the other two, and all they need to do is change Wolf's specials a bit and bam!; completely original character. But it might mean Falco could be turned into a skin of Fox.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I don't think Falco has anything that constitutes him being an alt skin, but given the fact that Lucina was going to be that to Marth, I wouldn't be so surprised if that actually happnes.

And yeah they could get unique special moves. I'm still a bit worried about Falco and Wolf's chances though. A little.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think Falco has anything that constitutes him being an alt skin, but given the fact that Lucina was going to be that to Marth, I wouldn't be so surprised if that actually happnes.

And yeah they could get unique special moves. I'm still a bit worried about Falco and Wolf's chances though. A little.
I'm not worried about Wolf at all, Falco is the iffy one. Granted, if Falco has different stats, they can probably justify him having identical customizations with Fox.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Yeah yeah that's what I'm thinking for Falco. It's just that Falco has been in two Smash games so I think that adds more to his chances, but still it's a bit iffy for him.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
The only Fox voices I can think of that I like is Mike West and Jim Walker.

Why is everyone complaining about Fox's voice? He seems fine to me
He sounds very nasally and too high-pitched compared to Walker. At least that's my opinion.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I only like japanese fox." FIIYAHH" all the way.
Miss him from N64 and Melee.

THEY BETTER HAVE JAPANESE VOICE OPTION!!!! DAMNIT!

I wanna hear Falco's taun of win

Last edited:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
For Wolf? Not much, Wolf is way different from the other two, and all they need to do is change Wolf's specials a bit and bam!; completely original character. But it might mean Falco could be turned into a skin of Fox.
Look:
Sakurai said:
Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.
However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

No. Just No.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
So the tournament is happening now, I guess? Oh well, I'm not gonna watch it (gameplay I don't like to be spoiled, for some reason unbeknowest even to myself), but I'll wait for a reveal.
How long is the tournament?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
But it might mean Falco could be turned into a skin of Fox.
And what of Lucina? The only known difference is a taunt, her lack of tippers and the spot dodge animation.

If Falco, who plays way different from Fox since Melee, is cut and we get LUCINA then that's one way to get me mad at video games.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I never noticed how annoying Greninja's voice was either. Still looks like a sick character.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
And what of Lucina? The only known difference is a taunt, her lack of tippers and the spot dodge animation.

If Falco, who plays way different from Fox since Melee, is cut and we get LUCINA then that's one way to get me mad at video games.
This.
pretty much.
Also, bring back Roy. At least he's not as uninspired a Lucina :p hahahaha

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The only Fox voices I can think of that I like is Mike West and Jim Walker.

He sounds very nasally and too high-pitched compared to Walker. At least that's my opinion.
I'm pretty sure the new voice actor for Fox is Mike West, at the very least it sounds like him.

Regardless, I do have to agree about preferring Jim Walker over the new one, it was a better fit for the character in Smash.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
It's like debating whether ska punk is either "ska punk" or "third wave ska." Dumb debate, not worth the time.
Never thought I'd see a Ska reference here. Streetlight is my favorite band.

Anyway, Does marth still speak Japanese in the NSTC version? And if not is he the only Japanese speaker confirmed so far?

Last edited:

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
I never noticed how annoying Greninja's voice was either. Still looks like a sick character.
That I can agree with. Speaking of voices, am I the only one who isn't a fan of how Donkey Kong, Diddy, and Bowser all have realistic sounds? I never got why Sakurai did it. Though it could be since I'm used to the voices in the main games.

Lucina is different. While the speed, strength, and special attacks are almost identical, the damage is evened out to the whole sword. Marth meanwhile strikes more damage with the tip, making her much better for newcomers and those who have difficulties with Marth. Nothing grandiose, but still.

Doompatron3000

Smash Journeyman
So the tournament is happening now, I guess? Oh well, I'm not gonna watch it (gameplay I don't like to be spoiled, for some reason unbeknowest even to myself), but I'll wait for a reveal.
How long is the tournament?
It's a two day tournament, so if there is an announcement during the tournament (which given Nintendo's track record for reveals during tourneys, it won't happen) it will happen on the last day.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Guys, did i miss something?, did the 3ds version tournament already ended? if so then what is this stream of the Wii U version?

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Guys, did i miss something?, did the 3ds version tournament already ended? if so then what is this stream of the Wii U version?
I believe it's being done during breaks. So the announcers just do some quick battles together to show something for the Twitch audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom