• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Who brought up Sakurai hating him?
Bandana Dee debuted in the original Super Star, didn't he? That's a Sakurai Kirby game.
Yeah, but there was an argument around the lines of, "What if Sakurai didn't like the way they made his character?" or "What if Sakurai doesn't care or like the most recent Kirby games?".

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
There just doesn't seem like enough in his favour, honestly. Especially if there's no "Blue Toad" playable.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the numbers. Maybe his following here is not as large as I imagined.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
There just doesn't seem like enough in his favour, honestly. Especially if there's no "Blue Toad" playable.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the numbers. Maybe his following here is not as large as I imagined.
Everything is in the thread. If there isn't enough to convince you, there is nothing to tell you. That's it. You can stop saying "Why you like the character?" and "His odds are so low, why do you like him?".

I personally don't think his odds are super low, but I guess that's just the supporter in me talking.

Khoru

Smash Champion
The only characters shown in that picture that we knew for quite some time now are not playable are Tom Nook (part of Villager's Final Smash), Anabelle (Assist Trophy), and Toad (part of Peach's moves). And the Pikmin too, but they are in conjunction with Olimar who is playable anyways. 8-Bit Mario, however, is the only character left whose status remains a mystery.
okay you keep saying this and even for such a small thing it's super annoying to me bc i'm dumb
it's isabelle

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sakurai still has two Months to show Newcomer trailers.

Japan will be getting the 3DS version of the game on September 13th. This means that Sakurai has all of August and every day before September 13th to announce some newcomers.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everything is in the thread. If there isn't enough to convince you, there is nothing to tell you. That's it. You can stop saying "Why you like the character?" and "His odds are so low, why do you like him?".
I personally don't think his odds are super low, but I guess that's just the supporter in me talking.
I already read the OP of the thread.
I could not have possibly offended to this point, could I?

In case you have not realized, I was simply expressing that I feel he is somewhat overrated, though I didn't use that word as it is...overrated.

No matter...I think a change in topic is a good idea.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Daisy is shorter then Peach........

Lucina is shorter then Marth........

Lucina was planned to be a costume and they could easily have changed the height of her yet now she is playable.

Peach has had a Daisy pallet swap in the past two games and with the abundance of costumes this time, one could easily jump to the conclusion Daisy would have a costume planned......

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Lucina was planned to be a costume and they could easily have changed the height of her yet now she is playable.

Peach has had a Daisy pallet swap in the past two games and with the abundance of costumes this time, one could easily jump to the conclusion Daisy would have a costume planned......
You just made me think, I have a model viewer that works for TTYD but I can't convert the files to normal model so, how can I have an accurate size comparison to Mario?

I just want to know how smaller he is compared to him just for fun.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Who brought up Sakurai hating him?
Bandana Dee debuted in the original Super Star, didn't he? That's a Sakurai Kirby game.
He was the first participant in the Megaton Punch mini-game.

Am I the only one who believes that we're just NOT getting a newcomer for Donkey Kong? I just don't see it happening.
Certainly not outside the realm of possibility. No one is a "shoo-in", after all, and no franchise is guaranteed to get a newcomer, no matter how "likely" or "necessary" it seems to be.

With that said, if that really comes to pass, then that would be a sad day indeed :c

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Am I the only one who believes that we're just NOT getting a newcomer for Donkey Kong? I just don't see it happening.
Why do you say that, if I may ask? It is possible DK doesn't get a new rep, but that'd be the stupidest thing I ever heard, considering the fact that DK is the fourth-best selling Nintendo franchise (fine, fifth if you count "Wii" games), and had MASSIVE success with the release of Donkey Kong Country Returns selling over 6 million copies. The lack of a new DK stage yet may also indicate they're saving it for a DK trailer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, but there was an argument around the lines of, "What if Sakurai didn't like the way they made his character?" or "What if Sakurai doesn't care or like the most recent Kirby games?".
Eh, Sakurai seems to be pretty okay with the newer Kirby games, he did replace the Cooking ability with the Ultra Sword, basically replacing one of his own created abilities with a new one. He has always let other people make Kirby games anyways, even when he was with HAL, I really don't think there's any grudge or anything.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Few pages late on this one specifically but...
Different characters can be alts now. Only gameplay changes make new characters.

Is there any evidence that Dark Pit will play different? No? Then alt. Yes? What proof?
The weapons he and Pit utilize, while basically being different palettes of the same thing, are actually different weapons with unique statistics.

If Lucina's and Marth's Falchion are different enough to allow the two to be separate playable characters, it's possible and maybe even probable that Sakurai would do something like this. As of right now, there is no evidence to really hinder or support this theory of Dark Pit actually being playable / alt costume so yeah. Either way Dark Pit is going to be in the game somehow, we just don't know if it's as his own character or not yet.
Can someone tell me where Bandana Dee's following comes from?

Because to me it sort of just seems like making a Goomba playable.
Well for starters, adding Bandana Waddle Dee isn't necessarily like adding a Goomba. It's a bit more like adding in Toad (although he does have a significantly less amount of history with his franchise than Toad does but eh, Waddle Dees are basically like a mix of the Toads and Goombas in the Kirby franchise).
He debuted in Super Star in Megaton Punch and then appeared in Super Star Ultra, which is the game that began his route to being a really notable character in the Kirby franchise. Throughout the events of Super Star Ultra, Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and probably Rainbow Curse he's essentially become the de facto fourth main Kirby character. He'd be a spear user (kinda obviously), which nobody else is so I suppose that is a pretty large selling point of the character. I'd imagine him to have the same weapon mechanic as Marth where his power is concentrated on the tip of the spear because it's a spear. He'd also probably be more stabby than slashy too.

Daisy costume is pretty probable. I just hope we don't hear "HI I'M DAISY" for every other voice clip of hers.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well for starters, adding Bandana Waddle Dee isn't necessarily like adding a Goomba. It's a bit more like adding in Toad (although he does have a significantly less amount of history with his franchise than Toad does but eh, Waddle Dees are basically like a mix of the Toads and Goombas in the Kirby franchise).

He debuted in Super Star in Megaton Punch and then appeared in Super Star Ultra, which is the game that began his route to being a really notable character in the Kirby franchise. Throughout the events of Super Star Ultra, Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, and probably Rainbow Curse he's essentially become the de facto fourth main Kirby character. He'd be a spear user (kinda obviously), which nobody else is so I suppose that is a pretty large selling point of the character. I'd imagine him to have the same weapon mechanic as Marth where his power is concentrated on the tip of the spear because it's a spear. He'd also probably be more stabby than slashy too.
Bandana Dee's lack of appearance compared to other characters from other franchises, like Toad, is what kinda hurts him. The other thing is, Dixie could justifiably have a few similar moves to Diddy as a semiclone to Diddy for a fourth DK rep. Bandana Dee is -too- original for that, so Lucina doesn't really help Bandana Dee at all. In fact, she hurts him because he's not a character than can be made into an easy clone, and other franchises need to get first, second, or third reps before a franchise can justifiably receive a fourth entirely unique character.

Not to mention the fact that they likely had to completely rework Metaknight, which probably sapped any attention away from being able to add a fourth Kirby character. The possibility is there, but there are other franchises that, frankly, are more deserving of getting additional reps and other characters that should get in first.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I wanted:
Levin from Fire Emblem using the Holsety Spell.

I got:
Robin from Fire Emblem using the Levin Sword.

Eh. I'll live. Still cool.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So I'm curious, what do you think the secondary Zelda stage is going to be?

So far, we have:

Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time)
Spirit Train (Spirit Tracks)
Skyloft (Skyward Sword)

queenrosetta

Smash Apprentice

So far, we have:

Skyloft (Skyward Sword)
I'm sure that temple will be a throwback on one of the games

(But this is character discussion not the place to post this really)

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Not sure if its been posted here yet, but Corocoro updated the site saying it's only showing off the characters and stages we already know about. Just as many people expected. No full roster next month (unless a new leak pops up).

Weeman

Smash Crusader

So far, we have:

Skyloft (Skyward Sword)
Forsaken fortress with the Helmaroc king as boss.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

So far, we have:

Skyloft (Skyward Sword)
I believe it will most likely be a new Wind Waker stage. Considering Wind Waker HD is still pretty recent, it would be perfect. Maybe the characters can fight on the different islands in WW. A Cyclone could take everyone to a new island location every once and a while. Similarly to the Fire Emblem stage in Brawl. Just a thought.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I believe it will most likely be a new Wind Waker stage. Considering Wind Waker HD is still pretty recent, it would be perfect. Maybe the characters can fight on the different islands in WW. A Cyclone could take everyone to a new island location every once and a while. Similarly to the Fire Emblem stage in Brawl. Just a thought.
They could just bring back the Pirate Ship. and considering the remake, I'd expect even more WW content.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Good morning official character discussion thread, how are we all doing today?

Am I the only one still completely expecting a Rhythm Heaven character?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I believe there's about a 70% chance of it at this point, but I'd also say there's likely only about a 10% chance its Chorus Men. Its also incredibly possible Sakurai thinks just a stage represent RH just fine.

D

Deleted member

No. I still fully expect a Rhythm Heaven character and Shulk. It'll just be hilarious if said Rhythm Heaven character does turn out to be the Chorus Kids. If that happened, do you think we'd get another CrashBoards?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I'm fine with characters like Dr. Mario, it was mostly Daisy, Roy, and Boshi. Though I guess Boshi might work out fine, I just see Yoshi as a character of his own and not just a generic Yoshi.

My general rule for alts I would be okay with is that you can technically call them by the same name as the main character. Boshi and Lucina walk the line, but I would be okay if they were alts (though Lucina is obviously a separate character). I'm all for characters like Dr. Mario, Mr. L, etc. Or if they named Olimar "Pikmin Captain" and threw in the rest of them as well.
Well as someone stated before, Sakurai said that the a skin of a character could be a completely different character

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I believe there's about a 70% chance of it at this point, but I'd also say there's likely only about a 10% chance its Chorus Men. Its also incredibly possible Sakurai thinks just a stage represent RH just fine.
RH is going to get SOME rep. If you combine the sales of all the games in the RH series it comes out about a million a head of all 3 Golden Suns + Xenoblade. The Rhythm genre has also become rather important to Nintendo in the past few years.

The question is if a stage will be enough rep. I'm not sure to be honest, but the Sneaky Spirits plus the uniqueness a rhythm based move set could bring to the roster have me leaning towards a playable character. I would hope for Marshall, personally. Rhythm girl would be cool too. (And, you know, the Wrestler. Pose for the fans!)

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Well as someone stated before, Sakurai said that the a skin of a character could be a completely different character
I know, I said in the post before that that it's happening and I'll just have to deal with it. Just saying that I'm not a fan of it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
RH is going to get SOME rep. If you combine the sales of all the games in the RH series it comes out about a million a head of all 3 Golden Suns + Xenoblade. The Rhythm genre has also become rather important to Nintendo in the past few years.

The question is if a stage will be enough rep. I'm not sure to be honest, but the Sneaky Spirits plus the uniqueness a rhythm based move set could bring to the roster have me leaning towards a playable character. I would hope for Marshall, personally. Rhythm girl would be cool too. (And, you know, the Wrestler. Pose for the fans!)
I like the look of the Rhythm Girl better. Rhythm Heaven will definitely get representation, it just depends on if Sakurai can think of a moveset. He can come up with great movesets, but keep in mind that Sakurai can't always think of movesets. Oftentimes he thinks about it, can't figure it out, and in a future title adds the character he couldn't get working before.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman

I am pretty certain we will get a RH rep, just not counting on Chorusmen.
From what I gathered, Sakurai stated having issues with Ice Climbers on 3DS, so making a 3 character character would seem unlikely to me.

My impression is that Gematsu was simply early information, sure, things can change in development (adding more characters, changing the reps), but I don't think it will be drastically different as a whole.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I know, I said in the post before that that it's happening and I'll just have to deal with it. Just saying that I'm not a fan of it.
You think the same way as my brother :dr^_^:

I personally agree and disagree with you, for example, if the character is way too much like another or doesn't have anything special, then it could easily be used as a skin for another character (like Daisy or Bossy)

OR if the character have no chance of becoming their own character and doesn't have any skill of their own (like Panther Caroso from Star Fox)

Note: I used Panther as an example cause that's a character that i want to play in Smash but i know i will never get

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am pretty certain we will get a RH rep, just not counting on Chorusmen.
From what I gathered, Sakurai stated having issues with Ice Climbers on 3DS, so making a 3 character character would seem unlikely to me.

My impression is that Gematsu was simply early information, sure, things can change in development (adding more characters, changing the reps), but I don't think it will be drastically different as a whole.
Gematsu wasn't outdated, it was flat out wrong. The first half was right, but Chrom wasn't on the final roster. There's no simple explanation for Chrom not making the roster.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Gematsu wasn't outdated, it was flat out wrong. The first half was right, but Chrom wasn't on the final roster. There's no simple explanation for Chrom not making the roster.
Well... he wasn't wrong, he was trully outdated unless you want to say that he got 8 character by mere luck also here what Sakurai said about Chrom

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

So... yeah, Chrom was going to be in the roster, but he didn't make it cause he wasn't unique

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Since we're talking about alternate skins for characters, am I the only one who wants to see a skin for all the different Links? I mean, if we're doing this alternate skin thing, how can you pass that up? OOT Link, SS Link, ALTTP Link, HW Link, I want to see them all. Also, I want a Spirit Tracks Link alt for Toon Link, Train Engineer outfit and all. Oh, and a Minish Cap Toon Link alt as well, complete with the Ezlo hat.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Since we're talking about alternate skins for characters, am I the only one who wants to see a skin for all the different Links? I mean, if we're doing this alternate skin thing, how can you pass that up? OOT Link, SS Link, ALTTP Link, HW Link, I want to see them all. Also, I want a Spirit Tracks Link alt for Toon Link, Train Engineer outfit and all.
I want OOT Link but i don't think we will all, why? too much work

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well... he wasn't wrong, he was trully outdated unless you want to say that he got 8 character by mere luck also here what Sakurai said about Chrom

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/1...ros-says-he-lacks-any-unique-characteristics/

So... yeah, Chrom was going to be in the roster, but he didn't make it cause he wasn't unique
Again, I said, FIRST HALF was right, second half wrong. He didn't get 8 characters, he got 7, the seventh of which everyone guessed anyway. And what are you saying by Chrom WAS going to be in the roster? That flat out states Chrom NEVER was going to be in the roster. He merely "considered" Chrom, but it confirms Chrom was never on the final roster to begin with. If you think it says Chrom was going to be added, you're reading your own ideas into it. That's not what it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom